PDA

View Full Version : 45 Colt 200 gr. pest control load ?

sac
10-09-2018, 06:03 PM
i have a Ruger Blackhawk 45 colt that I have a hunting load of 20.5 gr. of 4227 with a RCBS 45-270 saa bullet and have the sight regulated for that load. But now I want to use the same revolver for pest control, ground hogs, raccoons, opossums and the occasional coyote. The other bullet mold that I have and a bunch already cast is a Lee J/P 45cal. 210gr. big lube bullet that I used with black powder In schofield cases. i am trying to get these to shoot fairly close to where my hunting load is. I know that the heavier bullet is going to shoot higher, but was wondering if I can this lighter bullet close? So far all I have been trying is Unique. I was wondering if there was a slower powder to try to get the bullet moving slower to help.
The data I have been using is Lyman cast book of reloading for the lee 452-200.

Thanks Scott

Mr Peabody
10-09-2018, 06:42 PM
You can try 5grs of Red Dot. It comes reasonably close to what your after.

Outpost75
10-09-2018, 08:02 PM
A 200-grain bullet is going to shot about a foot below your 270-grain bullet at 25 yards. Won't matter what velocity you drive it.

You would be better off reducing the charge with your 270-grain bullet to reduce the recoil and penetration.

In Schofield brass you can go down to 4 grains of Bullseye with your 270-grain bullet for about 700 fps and it will shoot alot closer to your sights than any load with a 200-grain bullet.

bob208
10-09-2018, 08:20 PM
I use the lee 255 gr. swc and 8.5 gr. unique for every thing deer ground hogs even pigeons works great if I had a chance I would even use it on hogs.

35remington
10-09-2018, 08:52 PM
Is there some reason you could not use your current load on the other critters? As was mentioned a big change in bullet weight will require cranking on the sights no matter what.

How about one load for all?

sac
10-10-2018, 09:23 AM
Is there some reason you could not use your current load on the other critters? As was mentioned a big change in bullet weight will require cranking on the sights no matter what.

How about one load for all?

I could, just had these other bullets lying around and just thought I would put them to use. But I will probably just use my hunting load.

str8wal
10-10-2018, 09:59 AM
was wondering if I can this lighter bullet close

I my opinion, no. I even found windage changes as the heavier bullets' recoil cause more "torque"

bedbugbilly
10-10-2018, 12:10 PM
I agree with Mr. Peabody - it's at least worth a try. I normally use a 255 gr in my 45 but also shoot 200 gr with good accuracy. 5 gr. of Red Dot with a 200 gr in Schofield casing should work fine. Maybe shoot a bit differently than your normal hunting load - but learn where they shoot and adjust your sighting when you slide 'em in the chambers of your revolver. I'm not shooting a BH but rather a Uberti 7 1/2" Cattleman SAA so the basic simple front blade/grooved top strap sights - it's all about practice and learning where they shoot.

dubber123
10-10-2018, 11:09 PM
I got a 440 grain at 1,325 to shoot within an inch and a half of a 400 grain boolit at 50 yards by slowing it down in my .475. How slow? 550 fps. with 5 grains of Trailboss :) It was the only light load that even came close. If you can make it happen, I think you will have to go really slow with the light boolit.

sac
10-11-2018, 09:36 AM
Thanks guys, I'll try some Red Dot and Bullseye.

DougGuy
10-11-2018, 10:18 AM
But now I want to use the same revolver for pest control, ground hogs, raccoons, opossums and the occasional coyote. t

Don't shoot the possums, they are beneficial. They eat ticks like cereal, they compete with rats for the same foods so if you have possums you won't have rats. They don't carry disease like coons do.

Texas by God
10-11-2018, 12:22 PM
Don't shoot the possums, they are beneficial. They eat ticks like cereal, they compete with rats for the same foods so if you have possums you won't have rats. They don't carry disease like coons do.I agree- leave Opie alone[emoji16]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

luvtn
10-11-2018, 06:56 PM
I have both rats and possums. The rats live underground, while the possums roam above. Good luck getting your gun set up the way you need.
luvtn

Rodfac
10-14-2018, 06:36 PM
But now I want to use the same revolver for pest control, ground hogs, raccoons, opossums and the occasional coyote. IF, as you say, your heavy bullet load shoots to the sights, it should be more than adequate for the came you've listed, plus you are intimately familiar with its trajectory. I see no need for a lighter bullet with all that it will require in the way of sights. Best Regards, Rod

smkummer
05-13-2021, 06:51 PM
I would believe a cowboy load with a 200 grain bullet going out at 700 FPS would kill without too much penetration. Count the clicks it takes to sight it in and reset the sight when you go back to your full power load.

Good Cheer
05-15-2021, 09:16 PM
Pest control?
Two hard cast round balls with a dab of lube in between?
:-P