PDA

View Full Version : 458 Socom fail

Wolters_88
10-09-2018, 11:51 AM
I purchased 250 Magnus bullets, a lb of black paint by the lb, got a oven from amazon, a #5 recycle shaker, black BB's and this was the outcome. I did 400 for 20 minutes and they are all coming out exactly like this. What am I doing wrong?

John McCorkle
10-09-2018, 12:01 PM
Was there some sort of lube in that grease groove? Almost seems something was there that didn't let the powder stick

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Wolters_88
10-09-2018, 12:24 PM
Is that what this green line is??? ***, so I purchased something that wont work or I can do something to remove this like soak in simple green?

jcren
10-09-2018, 12:29 PM
Yep, that is a wax lube. Should be able to boil them in water to float off the lube. Skim or pour all the lube off before fisbhing out the bullets. Might roll em in a towel with acetone or lacquer thinner after boilingto make sure.

John McCorkle
10-09-2018, 12:33 PM
Yes, what he says above...boil them then give a rinse in acetone or mineral spirits....then a final wash with Dawn dish soap.

That is bullet lube in that groove and it is intentionally greasy so the powder won't stick if any film is left on the bullet (ie if you just scrape it out the oils will still be there and won't let the powder stick)

Give em a good clean and you should be good to go.

If you take the ones you have already done and rub them down really well with mineral spirits and tumble them again you should get that grease groove too

Smoke4320
10-09-2018, 12:53 PM
Since there was lube on the bullets, it is highly possible that your parts that ARE coated the coating will not be adhered properly..
I would do a smash test on at least 5 bullets .. If any and I mean any coating flakes off they would all be rejects
in a big bore the absolute last issue you want is removing lead from that BIG bore
YMMV

Wolters_88
10-09-2018, 02:21 PM
I called the manufacture and they told me that you all are correct. I was hoping this would be a cheap easy option. I guess I was wrong. 250 bullets with the other stuff put me all for like $100. That's 100 bullets. Guess you live and learn. Thanks for the input all. As for what you are saying smoke. Half the bullet itself is not even covered. I just assume they are all trash. Is there another way to purchase like this and get rounds without the wax? My other issue is getting the base coated. Mine are not coating and sticking to the base plate. Some have run off too.

John McCorkle
10-09-2018, 02:33 PM
Some guys here would likely cast you up some of any number of bullet profiles...maybe someone else can provide a link for you but I know alot of guys just like casting....and if they were paid to do it even better for them. I don't think it should be very pricey. If I shot big bore I'd be happy to but all I have are 358 and 30 cal molds

ewlyon
10-09-2018, 02:38 PM
Some manufacturers will sell unsized and unlubed bullets that are ready for powder coating, but you can always buy lubed ones and swish them around in some Xylene

John McCorkle
10-09-2018, 02:41 PM
Some manufacturers will sell unsized and unlubed bullets that are ready for powder coating, but you can always buy lubed ones and swish them around in some XyleneDoes xylene penetrate the skin barrier? Seems I have heard it does...and if so I'd be very careful with it and lead together....heard about a guy using it to clean lead based paint and got horribly high blood lead levels as a result

Echd
10-09-2018, 03:17 PM
Honestly I would just shoot the lubed ones you have left, and maybe tumble the mistakes in Lee liquid alox or recluse lube and use them for plinkers. I have found the 458 socom to be pretty forgiving with cast.

frkelly74
10-09-2018, 03:29 PM
Honestly I would just shoot the lubed ones you have left, and maybe tumble the mistakes in Lee liquid alox or recluse lube and use them for plinkers. I have found the 458 socom to be pretty forgiving with cast.

this is definitely worth considering. Shoot em up, it might be fun.

W.R.Buchanan
10-09-2018, 03:41 PM
The boiling idea seems like it would work. The wax will melt and it will float so you'd be good to go after finishing in Acetone.

Don't give up, it takes a little while to get the process down, but after you do you won't be going back to lubed boolits.

Randy

Rcmaveric
10-09-2018, 05:31 PM
Those messed up bullets arent trash. Just lube and size them. I have had some failed PC experiments that shot just fine with lube in the grooves.

That way you dont waste those 200 bullets.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Wolters_88
10-09-2018, 05:53 PM
Ok, so just put lube on them like I would a normal projectile or do I need something specific like stated above? I currently actually only have case lube. It seems that Lee alox is cheap and on Amazon. Is there another powder you all would recommend for future bullets? I like the black look, but am at the whatever works stage. Also, how do you all coat the bottoms? Mine are sticking. What do you do about that? If i do this correctly do I need to use bullet lube? I thought that was the reason to do this?

Flailguy
10-09-2018, 06:11 PM
I would use LLA lee liquid alox.
As far as powder smoke's is about as good as it gets.
I think the powder is not adhering to the bottom properly due to the wax melting downward.
No lube required if powder coat adheres properly.

jcren
10-09-2018, 06:22 PM
Dont sweat the bases. If you get em clean and set em on parchment paper or nonstick foil you will get good coverage on the bases, but it isnt needed. Just look at fmj pistol bullets, exposed lead bases. Just tumble lube the screw ups in lee alox or the like and shoot em. The lube will prevent leading where the pc didnt cover due to the wax. Normally no lube is needed with pc.

Texas by God
10-09-2018, 06:26 PM
LLA and load and shoot them mistakes and have fun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Wolters_88
10-09-2018, 06:50 PM
I'm just putting them face up on the tray that it came with thinking the flat surface should be down. Should I use aluminum foil? I'm going to boil the wax off and put them in some acetone and try again tonight.

jcren
10-09-2018, 07:30 PM
You will need something to keep the pc from sticking to thray. Parchment paper or nonstick aluminum foil work best and are available at Wal-Mart, grocery store etc in the baking stuff. Nonstick foil only, and it has a plain and nonstick side. Plain foil or the wrong side and you will be picking foil. Parchment paper is very effective and cheaper but only last a few cooks.

cas
10-09-2018, 10:17 PM
I called the manufacture and they told me that you all are correct.

Man I would have loved to overheard the conversation when they got off the phone with you. :)

scotner
10-09-2018, 10:51 PM
I called the manufacture and they told me that you all are correct. I was hoping this would be a cheap easy option. I guess I was wrong. 250 bullets with the other stuff put me all for like $100. That's 100 bullets. Guess you live and learn. Thanks for the input all. As for what you are saying smoke. Half the bullet itself is not even covered. I just assume they are all trash. Is there another way to purchase like this and get rounds without the wax? My other issue is getting the base coated. Mine are not coating and sticking to the base plate. Some have run off too.

I wanted to try an RCBS 30 cal gas check Silhouette bullet. I found a company that sells them online lubed with conventonal lube. I contacted them and asked if I could buy 100 of them "as cast", no lube and unsized. Just the bullets and loose gas checks. They agreed to ship them like that and I was able to PC them with my own powder.

44Blam
10-10-2018, 01:10 AM
Is that what this green line is??? ***, so I purchased something that wont work or I can do something to remove this like soak in simple green?

Dude, you should just load and shoot them. ;)

44Blam
10-10-2018, 01:12 AM
Does xylene penetrate the skin barrier? Seems I have heard it does...and if so I'd be very careful with it and lead together....heard about a guy using it to clean lead based paint and got horribly high blood lead levels as a result

I am pretty sure it doesn't because we use it with epoxy instead of acetone. Acetone will certainly penetrate the skin layer but will likely not transport lead.

lavenatti
10-10-2018, 06:42 AM
So... how much smoke was there when you baked them?

fredj338
10-10-2018, 01:57 PM
Yeah you can not PC a bullet that has been sized & lubed, no surface tension for the powder to stick to. You need naked/clean bullets for PC. If you want coated bases, either stand them on parchment paper or I use thins wire baskets.

edp2k
10-10-2018, 11:33 PM
boil the non-PCed bullets in an old pot with water and 1 teaspoon of laundry detergent.
a 1/2 teaspoon of lemishine/citric acid will also help, and will etch the surface a bit.
wax will float on top of the water and after boiling for 10 min pour the first few inches of water+wax off
outside into the dirt or into a bucket with a paper bag in it.
DON'T pour it down the kitchen sink or you will have a clogged drain since the wax will cool and stick to the pipes.

fully drain pot and put bullets on towel to dry.
PC when dry.

Xylene or acetone will penetrate skin. No need for either, and no need for the cost and waste of the solvent.