PDA

View Full Version : .40 S&W Usability for Hunting??

Arisaka99
10-08-2018, 09:28 AM
Hey Guys!

How feasible is it to hunt deer with a .40 S&W?

I figured with close broadside shots and good defensive rounds, it wouldn't be too difficult.

Has anyone done it? How well does it work?

Happy Hunting!

scattershot
10-08-2018, 09:48 AM
Deer have been killed with a .22. I have a friend who killed one with a .380. Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should.

Neverhome
10-08-2018, 09:57 AM
Never done it personally but tons are killed with 10mm auto. Shorten the distance and it should be essentially the same. Strict broadside heart lung shot should be fine. Treat it like hunting with a bow.

contender1
10-08-2018, 10:15 AM
"Deer have been killed with a .22. I have a friend who killed one with a .380. Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should."

Quoted for importance.

I'm a Hunter Safety Instructor. As part of my classes,, I teach Ethics. To be an ethical hunter,, one should strive for a clean, quick kill. I shoot a .40 cal in a revolver in competition. I also own a few 10mm guns,, all in revolvers. I also have a semi-auto in .40 cal. I also handgun hunt almost exclusively. As such,, I match the caliber, gun, AND ammo to the animal I'm planning on hunting. Animals can present difficult shots, and they can be harder to kill.
So,, I ask people in my classes,,, if you are hunting,,, say whitetail deer,,, and you are not SURE you have the best gun, caliber & ammo to do a clean, quick kill,,, what will you do if a monster, record book buck walks out on you? ESPECIALLY if the angle, distance or whatever is marginal,,, will you be able to NOT shoot because of the limitations you may have?
I follow that with a simple comment. Make sure you have enough gun to allow for human mistakes.

Yes,, deer, bear & all kinds of critters have been killed with guns or calibers not NORMALLY used. There was a case of a well known outdoorsman who was guiding some folks fishing in Ak. that had to kill a grizzly with his 9mm handgun. Even he said it was a poor decision to be carrying that gun & caliber that time. He had become complacent towards bear encounters. He was also an experienced shooter. But even he said it wouldn't happen again,, that he'd always carry a better choice after that one very close encounter that COULD have been very bad.

Outpost75
10-08-2018, 10:18 AM
The .40 S&W is every bit as good as the .38-40 black powder round its ballistics duplicate.

Actually it is probably much better thanks to modern bullet construction.

With lead flatnosed bullets it is an excellent penetrator.

Half oz. of lead at 900 fps killed lots of bad guys and game back in the day.

"Real handguns" are of a caliber which starts with a "4".

Tackleberry41
10-08-2018, 02:35 PM
Depends on the gun, a carbine barrel and your exceeding 10mm pistol ballistics. And accuracy will depend, I have seen 40 pistols that were more like shotguns and others that were pretty accurate.

FergusonTO35
10-08-2018, 03:10 PM
I see no reason why it couldn't be done as long as you can place the boolit where it needs to go. Likely the biggest problem is, most .40 pistols don't come with target sights.

lefty o
10-08-2018, 03:25 PM
keep the range modest, and accurate bullet placement, and it will do the job. certainly not the best choice in the world, but it'll work.

nagantguy
10-08-2018, 04:39 PM
Pistol or carbine in 40 cal? That would be a big difference maker. The 40 in a 16 inch barreled carbine is a totally different animal.

Love Life
10-08-2018, 04:46 PM
It’ll probably just bounce off of the deer.

Arisaka99
10-08-2018, 07:55 PM
Pistol is a Glock 23. I’d get a Lone Wolf Harrell with more length to get a little extra velocity out of it.

Range wouldn’t be more than 30-40yards at the most.

What’s the likelihood of breaking a shoulder at that range? Say a quartering away shot with an offside shoulder impact??

And I agree, just because you can, doesn’t mean you should. However, it is legal in VA, and I would like to use the gun I have instead of having to go buy a 10mm or something different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

megasupermagnum
10-08-2018, 08:14 PM
10mm is a fine deer cartridge. The load my grandpa used to use was a 180 grain bullet with blue dot, velocity was about 1300 fps from his EAA hunter. Load data shows you can get 1150 FPS without much problem with a 40 S&W. Plenty to go through whitetail at any reasonable angle. I don't know what you mean by defensive ammo, I wouldn't choose light bullets. A 180 grain XTP is a good choice.

lefty o
10-08-2018, 08:22 PM
Pistol is a Glock 23. I’d get a Lone Wolf Harrell with more length to get a little extra velocity out of it.

Range wouldn’t be more than 30-40yards at the most.

What’s the likelihood of breaking a shoulder at that range? Say a quartering away shot with an offside shoulder impact??

And I agree, just because you can, doesn’t mean you should. However, it is legal in VA, and I would like to use the gun I have instead of having to go buy a 10mm or something different.

i would not be shooting for the shoulder, in the heart, or in the brain.

35remington
10-08-2018, 10:05 PM
Double lung, under fifty yards is the ideal scenario.

Here in Nebraska 400 ft lbs at fifty yards is required for handguns. Having shot deer with ballistics that approximate or exceed that somewhat one should expect a fifty to 80 yard death run after the shot. Holes through the lungs approximate a channel that can admit two to three fingers depending upon depth.

When using Hornady 185 grain XTP bullets in a 5” 625-3 Auto Rim 45 revolver, +P loads were used approximating those published in a past Sierra manual. Through and through of the rib cage on each shot, 5 deer shot with that combo total. Most of the shots happened to hit ribs both on entry and exit. MV just over 1200 fps. Not too much more power than what you are contemplating.

Pick your shot angles carefully and it will work. I would also suggest 180 grains in the 40 driven as fast as prudence permits. Likely Power Pistol or some similar powder will get you there.

This is a great way to fill your bonus doe tags, adding challenge to what would ordinarily be a boring chip shot with a .270. But two of the five were decent sized bucks. Shots were close.

As of late I have been gravitating toward the hard cast 452423 from NOE (about 246 grains as I cast it) driven in the 950 fps range with 2400. That powder works poorly with anything lighter and if the bullets are not about a half thou larger than the cylinder throats to help the powder work properly. One deer shot with that bullet near the base of the neck had the bullet come out the right flank near the tailbone.

While the hollowpoints will not penetrate anywhere near that much and in my opinion have more limited shot angles (which is why I am using this bullet now) if you pick your shot with the HP’s they will also work.

Arisaka99
10-09-2018, 06:55 AM
10mm is a fine deer cartridge. The load my grandpa used to use was a 180 grain bullet with blue dot, velocity was about 1300 fps from his EAA hunter. Load data shows you can get 1150 FPS without much problem with a 40 S&W. Plenty to go through whitetail at any reasonable angle. I don't know what you mean by defensive ammo, I wouldn't choose light bullets. A 180 grain XTP is a good choice.

I carry 180gn Critical Duty and 180gn Hydra Shok’s alternated in the magazine. I figured any of these would work for deer since they’re designed for men.

35remington
10-09-2018, 01:11 PM
Of those two I would prefer the Critical Duty as they are somewhat more penetrative. This is of some advantage given possible shot angles.

megasupermagnum
10-09-2018, 01:32 PM
I'd agree, Hydra shok's are designed to stop inside a body. Critical duty (not critical defense) is designed to go through barriers, and doesn't expand nearly as much. I still think you could load you own better ammo for hunting, although I've never hunted with critical duty bullets.

Arisaka99
10-09-2018, 01:43 PM
If hand loading, what would you recommend?

I saw mention of Hornady XTP up in earlier comments.

megasupermagnum
10-09-2018, 01:51 PM
Yes, I've seen 180 grain XTP's used on big deer from 10mm auto. They work good. I've loaded 10mm, but not 40 s&w. Bluedot is the perfect 10mm powder, but may take up too much space in 40. Load data shows decent speed with Bluedot, but it looks like Longshot may be better. Straight out of Hogdon load data, a max of 8 grains Longshot with a 180 grain XTP (1.125" OAL) is listed as 1159 FPS from a 4" barrel.

Dan Cash
10-09-2018, 02:03 PM

180 -200 grain solid flat point cast 16:1 or a bit softer at 1000 fps muzzle. Good for 50 yards. Point of shoulder shot break the neck and/or shoulders.

Texas by God
10-09-2018, 02:41 PM
180 -200 grain solid flat point cast 16:1 or a bit softer at 1000 fps muzzle. Good for 50 yards. Point of shoulder shot break the neck and/or shoulders.Sort of a 38-40 twin. It will kill deer at close range just fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Sam Casey
10-09-2018, 04:10 PM
Get a nice 41 mag.

Arisaka99
10-09-2018, 04:13 PM
Get a nice 41 mag.

Sam,

I have other weapons I can hunt with, I just wanted to see the feasibility of using my .40S&W!

:drinks:

Sam Casey
10-09-2018, 04:39 PM
Understood. No offense intended. In all honesty I have never used a handgun for deer. Most of my hunting done in west requiring longer shots. Old school 270 Win, 264mag, etc. If you can deliver the bullet, I am sure a 40 will work. Good hunting.

Arisaka99
10-09-2018, 04:57 PM
Understood. No offense intended. In all honesty I have never used a handgun for deer. Most of my hunting done in west requiring longer shots. Old school 270 Win, 264mag, etc. If you can deliver the bullet, I am sure a 40 will work. Good hunting.

No offense taken!

I'm working with limited funds, so can't really go out and buy a new gun. :lol: (Being young and married with 2 rugrats makes funds scarce for things that go bang)

I'd really like to go buy a Glock 20 or Glock (40?) MOS for handgun hunting. A buddy has a Gen4 G20 and I fell in love with 10mm shooting it.

Catshooter
10-09-2018, 10:51 PM
A bit longer barrel will only give you 20-40 fps or so more. Probably less than shot-to-shot variation and barrel-to-barrel variation. A new barrel might be faster than you stock one, or not.

I don't see much point, unless you already own some Longshot in buying some to get about 100 feet more. A hundred isn't much. Getting a thousand feet with a 180 is easy with a good choice of powders.

You don't say what generation your 23 is, but if it's a gen 2 I would be careful of the chamber support. Gen 3's give better support. So do most aftermarkets. But why spend the money if you don't have to?

Good luck either way!

Cat

Outpost75
10-09-2018, 11:16 PM
The 10mm or .40 S&W in a Ruger Blackhawk convertible revolver is a serious hunting gun. I suppose a .38-40 cylinder would also be a useful add-on, but I sold my .38-40s and just use the .40 S&W now most of the time. Use 5 grains of Bullseye across the board with 180-224 grain bullets in .40 S&W for the Ruger revolver. Absolute Stone Killer! Have seen no need for higher velocity using the 10mm case.

Velocity is 900+ fps in .40 S&W revolver with the heavier 220-225 grain bullets in 5" barrel with 5 grains of Bullseye. Approximates .45 ACP +P, which I consider quite enough! K.I.S.S. principle.

As FYI, gun used to be .357/9mm convertible, Now is .40 S&W and 10mm convertible. You gain more velocity for the added expansion ratio of the cylinder length and 5" barre than you losew through the cylinder gap. So unless you want to punish yourself with recoil the .40 does it.

I have a wildcat 10x25R made from necked down .44 Russian brass in shortered .38-40 dies, which has about 8% more powder capacity than the 10mm, but I've been using 5 grains of Bullseye in that one too, and also fooling with black powder because I am a dinosaur...

If you want to build one of these, John Taylor has my reamers.

megasupermagnum
10-10-2018, 12:41 AM
A bit longer barrel will only give you 20-40 fps or so more. Probably less than shot-to-shot variation and barrel-to-barrel variation. A new barrel might be faster than you stock one, or not.

I don't see much point, unless you already own some Longshot in buying some to get about 100 feet more. A hundred isn't much. Getting a thousand feet with a 180 is easy with a good choice of powders.

You don't say what generation your 23 is, but if it's a gen 2 I would be careful of the chamber support. Gen 3's give better support. So do most aftermarkets. But why spend the money if you don't have to?

Good luck either way!

Cat

I agree, a longer barrel is not needed. But reloading for an extra 100-150 fps with a proven hunting bullet seems worth it to me.

Plate plinker
10-10-2018, 06:00 AM
I have defended myself against charging game with the 40s&w it worked but I wouldn’t chose it. It was a G23 as well.

Arisaka99
10-10-2018, 06:20 AM
Sorry guys, I thought I put it up in an earlier comment!

I have a Gen 4 G23.

So basically, it doesn’t make sense to get a longer barrel, but I should load a little hotter to get an extra 100-150 FPS and use a proven pistol hunting bullet?

camp
10-10-2018, 07:25 AM
I took a deer 2 years ago with a keltec sub2k at 50yds chambered in 40 s&w. Dropped just as good as a 30 30 would have

georgerkahn
10-10-2018, 08:54 AM
Also a hunter-safety instructor, I agree 101% with this -- well written, and well said!
geo

"Deer have been killed with a .22. I have a friend who killed one with a .380. Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should."

Quoted for importance.

I'm a Hunter Safety Instructor. As part of my classes,, I teach Ethics. To be an ethical hunter,, one should strive for a clean, quick kill. I shoot a .40 cal in a revolver in competition. I also own a few 10mm guns,, all in revolvers. I also have a semi-auto in .40 cal. I also handgun hunt almost exclusively. As such,, I match the caliber, gun, AND ammo to the animal I'm planning on hunting. Animals can present difficult shots, and they can be harder to kill.
So,, I ask people in my classes,,, if you are hunting,,, say whitetail deer,,, and you are not SURE you have the best gun, caliber & ammo to do a clean, quick kill,,, what will you do if a monster, record book buck walks out on you? ESPECIALLY if the angle, distance or whatever is marginal,,, will you be able to NOT shoot because of the limitations you may have?
I follow that with a simple comment. Make sure you have enough gun to allow for human mistakes.

Yes,, deer, bear & all kinds of critters have been killed with guns or calibers not NORMALLY used. There was a case of a well known outdoorsman who was guiding some folks fishing in Ak. that had to kill a grizzly with his 9mm handgun. Even he said it was a poor decision to be carrying that gun & caliber that time. He had become complacent towards bear encounters. He was also an experienced shooter. But even he said it wouldn't happen again,, that he'd always carry a better choice after that one very close encounter that COULD have been very bad.

Bigslug
10-10-2018, 09:20 AM
I wouldn't try to eak more performance out of a .40 with handloads - the factory loads are pretty much running on nitrous and trying to launch their valves through the hood already. Why heap on top of a load formula that's already got a reputation as a gun-breaker?

Your choices are basically duty loads that are going to stop after a foot or so of penetration, or some kind of truncated cone/LFN/WFN than will give you a straight-line through-and-through. Both are equally valid notions for killing deer, and as has already been said, the latter versions aren't far off what was coming out of Colts and Winchesters 130 years ago. Not rocket surgery. Treat it like an archery shot (sub-30 yards) and you should be fine if you can routinely hit a soup can at that range.

FergusonTO35
10-10-2018, 10:52 AM
The 10mm or .40 S&W in a Ruger Blackhawk convertible revolver is a serious hunting gun. I suppose a .38-40 cylinder would also be a useful add-on, but I sold my .38-40s and just use the .40 S&W now most of the time. Use 5 grains of Bullseye across the board with 180-224 grain bullets in .40 S&W for the Ruger revolver. Absolute Stone Killer! Have seen no need for higher velocity using the 10mm case.

Velocity is 900+ fps in .40 S&W revolver with the heavier 220-225 grain bullets in 5" barrel with 5 grains of Bullseye. Approximates .45 ACP +P, which I consider quite enough! K.I.S.S. principle.

As FYI, gun used to be .357/9mm convertible, Now is .40 S&W and 10mm convertible. You gain more velocity for the added expansion ratio of the cylinder length and 5" barre than you losew through the cylinder gap. So unless you want to punish yourself with recoil the .40 does it.

I have a wildcat 10x25R made from necked down .44 Russian brass in shortered .38-40 dies, which has about 8% more powder capacity than the 10mm, but I've been using 5 grains of Bullseye in that one too, and also fooling with black powder because I am a dinosaur...

If you want to build one of these, John Taylor has my reamers.

I would love to have a Blackhawk in .40 S&W, I'm already set up to cast and load for it.

bigboredad
10-10-2018, 12:15 PM
You could always trade your 23 for a 29 that way you can still have a carry gun and if you want a longer barrel you can put it in. The ten is great as you can load light ammo for defense and the hotter stuff for hunting. Either caliber I think you'd be better off shooting a wfn 200gr. Bullet. Have fun in your decision

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

Ruger45Bisley
02-25-2020, 12:34 AM
You can buy 200gr WFN from MBW and from a Gen4 Glock 23 with KKM barrel I can run the at 1150 fps, it's got a wide meplat and should hit pretty hard and it's a great sized package. From a longer barrel it will do better, the guy saying the .40 is already running hot from the factory knows nothing, you can easily run a 180gr JHP to 1300 fps from a Glock 35. As a matter of fact, with a G35 you can usually get within 50-70 fps of a Glock 20 using full tilt 10mm or (similar with G23 vs G29), it's almost like there's no need for 10mm.

200gr HST and 200gr WFN from Montana Bullet Works
https://i.imgur.com/hhwqZuk.jpg

bigted
02-25-2020, 08:02 AM
357 mag been gettin it done for a lotta years. The 40 can and do most things the 357 does and with a ton less muzzle blast. Deer are just not that hard to kill humanly if proper hunting values are used. Just like any firearm hunting ... proper shot placement EVERY TIME and in range matched to the cartridge puts meat in the freezer all the time and without needing to chase down wounded game.

popper
02-27-2020, 05:23 PM
Before I got into the BO my hog gun was XDm40. 165gr cast FN ~950 fps (just min PF) went all the way through (back to front) of a 150# boar (25 yds), broke front shoulder. 40sw will do the job, my field carry sidearm. Only problem is short sight radius. 25-30 yds is probably max distance. About 1/3 to 1/2 PF of 308W. PF=grains*fps/1000.
A few yrs ago I was in an elevated box blind, hog hunting with 308W. Buddy radio'd me a doe was under it. I looked out the window and she was big for Tx. Head was about level with the floor. Leaned out the window and watched until she walked off. Could have taken a good shoulder/spine shot with the 40sw if I were a deer hunter. Funny, neither the radio or my getting up and leaning out noise spooked her.

Idaho45guy
02-28-2020, 11:51 AM
A good load with a 180gr XTP will work just fine as long as the shot is good and doesn't have to go through a shoulder.

Funny how people have no contention about self-defense against 300lb humans with a 9mm or even a .380, but talk about a deer with half the weight and fat and suddenly a hot .40 S&W is mediocre or unethical.

cwlongshot
02-28-2020, 12:02 PM
Hahaha. SO TRUE!!!

I bought a G24 last year when Glock announced the discontinuation of the gen3 Gun’s. (They never extended the generations past 3 on this model)
I wanted a dedicated long barrel in 357 Sig for hunting.

I have a G35 I use for competition and didn’t wanna mess with it.
I have shot the orig barrels few times and it will best many factory 10mm ballistics. I would have ZERO contentions in its use as a short range deer gun where legal!! I have shot Carbine 40’s that equal some heavier 10mm numbers too!!!

My lil 357 dig is shooting 125’s wall past 1500 FPS from the 6” barrel! Deadly on Coyotes!!

CW

NYBushBro
03-02-2020, 04:49 PM
While at a gun show last weekend, I picked up a couple bags of Winchester 180 gr. HP factory JHP's. I've read that Longshot and/or BlueDot give highest velocities in the 40 (and also WSF was mentioned a lot).

Any anecdotal evidence with these on deer would be helpful.

Lloyd Smale
03-03-2020, 07:17 AM
ive killed hogs with 40s and 10s out to about 50 yards and hit right they die. Not much different then using something like a 41 mag or 44 special or colt level 45 colts. I only used cast though. A cast bullet with a decent metplat will do good damage and penetrate. Now all that said is the 40 a GOOD deer round? Heck no.

roverboy
03-06-2020, 02:33 PM
Never done it personally but tons are killed with 10mm auto. Shorten the distance and it should be essentially the same. Strict broadside heart lung shot should be fine. Treat it like hunting with a bow.

Yeah, I agree, I was thinking the same thing.

smkummer
03-06-2020, 07:06 PM
A friend of mine bought a box of factory Winchester 38-40 a few years back and it had a picture of a deer on it ( rifle velocities). I just went to Winchester’s site and now it says varmint/ predator on that same box of 180 grain jacketed soft points.

Idaho45guy
03-07-2020, 12:31 PM
Just last week, my brother and I were having lunch in the Cabela's cafeteria about an hour or so North of where I live. We had gone up there to drop dad off at the airport, and then went to Cabela's to do some shopping.

My brother was talking about his new rifle that he was in love with, a Christiansen Arms Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC that he used to take a nice whitetail buck with at over 600 yards last fall. He mentioned that his rifle was capable of retaining the 1000 ft. lbs. of energy at 800 yards or so that is considered the minimum energy level to kill a deer.

What? 1000 ft. lbs. is considered the minimum energy level to kill a whitetail deer? Yes it is.

I have no idea who came up with that number, but I Googled it and it is indeed touted as gospel. And it is obviously a bunch of bunk.

If you apply that energy level to handguns that have been used to kill humans in self defense for decades, then you would be hard pressed to find an acceptable self-defense round against 150lb humans vs. 150lb deer in any of the popular handguns in use today.

Buffalo Bore lists their 155gr .40 S&W as having 774 ft. lbs. of energy at the muzzle.

Their 10mm will reach 1098.

The most popular deer handgun hunting caliber, the mighty .44 Magnum, has a max energy level of 2181 ft. lbs. of energy at the muzzle and retains at least 1000 ft. lbs. of energy out to 250 yards.

So, yes, I think you can take deer with a .40 S&W loaded with hot Buffalo Bore ammo and at shorter distances.

FLINTNFIRE
03-08-2020, 12:38 AM
Interesting all the thought on it , I have never considered hunting with my 40 S&W would think if I needed to it would do the job as I have seen less used and shot placement is always king, I shoot glock 35 those kentucky state police trade ins were a awesome buy , cheap and never used at least ones I got , I think you could do what you want with it , I like the cast hollow points in the molds I got , feed fine and that counts if a second shot is wanted , I carry a 45 colt blackhawk when out hunting , but am planning on using a milder load and a uberti next year , good luck with your hunt.

Loudenboomer
03-08-2020, 05:10 PM
Never shot a deer with my .40. Shot a lot of them with another marginal caliber. The .357 magnum. Hit the mark at bow hunting ranges and I'll bet the .40 will work just fine.
Just food for thought for sure but a last year I shot two big woodchucks pert near 20 pounders. Both clean threw length wise. One with the .40 and 165's and one with a minor deer caliber. A 243 with a 85 gr. sp. The Glock shot woodchuck ended up as dead as it could be but the 3" front threw back hole from the lowly .243 makes one ponder.

jonp
03-08-2020, 07:52 PM

Power Pistol will get you where you want to go in the 40 Cal but it does have some flash.

If I had the distance correct i would use my M&P on deer. Just remember that distance and shot placement are critical with non traditional calibers and pass up shots that seem chancy

roverboy
03-08-2020, 08:53 PM
I would think a .40 would do ok at about 30 yards max. Basicly average bow range. A lot of guys have killed with .45 ACP and .357 Magnum.

OutHuntn84
03-09-2020, 01:24 PM
As a few members have noted deer (among other things), can be killed by projectiles by almost novel means. I have no doubt someone can throw a rock hard enough to get the job done. The big question is how much time are you willing to invest to become proficient.

Rodfac
03-09-2020, 01:45 PM
ive killed hogs with 40s and 10s out to about 50 yards and hit right they die. Not much different then using something like a 41 mag or 44 special or colt level 45 colts. I only used cast though. A cast bullet with a decent metplat will do good damage and penetrate. Now all that said is the 40 a GOOD deer round? Heck no. Plus One...we owe the game we hunt a quick death, anything short of that borders on unethical if not criminal in my book....Ruark said it best, "use enough gun!" If challenges are needed, try steel game silhouettes at 60-80, or 100 yds. Rod

cwlongshot
03-09-2020, 02:56 PM
I haven’t used the 40 on deer. I do have two coyotes on the 40. One dropped one yelped and ran off. Ironically that was real close and broadside but quicker shot. DRT shot was about 45-50 yards walking in to me. I HAVE taken a few with the 10mm hogs too. It works just fine. (40 would too)

As mentioned it’s something that would seriously restrict distances shorter then modern bows. Even the “big 10” is like using a bow. So inside 75 yards. But with proper ammo it’s killed our large deer every time most within steps. NEVER yet have had to track one. I cannot even say that for my Grendel or Blackout! (BOTH are also short to med range calibers by my definition)

There are better calibers. If it’s what ya got and your willing to hone your skills it will beep your freezer stocked.

CW

Win94ae
05-07-2021, 03:34 PM

Quoted for importance.

Indeed!

44MAG#1
05-07-2021, 05:41 PM
I shoot a brick hard 200 grain cast FP at 930 fps chronoed from my Glock M27. Have not chronoed it from my Springfield XDm.
I would assume (ha ha there's that word "assume") it would make it through a deer.

GooseGestapo
05-09-2021, 08:12 AM
I’ve killed deer with my .40 (G22).
It works!
No need for heavy, or Uber hot loads.
Negating the ones I finished that had been road hit by cars, I shot two with 155gr JHP’s. One was with a Winchester 155 Silvertip. Second with equivalent load with WSF FOR 1,200fps with a 155gr Hornady XTP. Several have been with 180gr Winchester JHP’s, one with a 180gr SXT, which is the only one recovered. It was under hide of far shoulder. One was shot with a Lee 175gr FN over enough LongShot for 1,100fps. Complete penetration.
Shot placement is paramount. All were shot at under 50yds. The pistol isn’t accurate enough for any further. Never needed a second shot.
The .40 ISN’T shot ‘n weak..... Just a poor mans 10mm...
Why? It’s what I had on my hip at the time...

cwlongshot
05-09-2021, 10:16 AM
Yea that shortnweak moniker is stupidity as many of these same folks with there wet noodle wrists and smooth baby hands also call the 40 too "snappy". Hahaha.

CW