PDA

View Full Version : A warning on Windows 10 big October, 2018 update

Grmps
10-07-2018, 01:41 PM
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/10/microsoft-suspends-distribution-of-latest-windows-10-update-over-data-loss-bug/

Net: don't do it.

Dieselhorses
10-07-2018, 01:51 PM
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/10/microsoft-suspends-distribution-of-latest-windows-10-update-over-data-loss-bug/

Net: don't do it.Thanks for that update Grmps!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

waksupi
10-07-2018, 03:01 PM
Do yourself a favor, take you computer to a nerd, and have them remove every trace of Windows, and install Linux.

DougGuy
10-07-2018, 03:26 PM
Do yourself a favor, take you computer to a nerd, and have them remove every trace of Windows, and install Linux.

^^^^^^^^ THIS!!

Linux Mint 19 is EASY to run. EASY to install, and it runs on hardware that Microsoft has dropped support for, so instead of letting Redmond FORCE you into upgraded hardware JUST so winblows will run on it, switch to Linux, Linux Mint being the easiest Linux for windows users. Opt for the Cinnamon desktop editioin.. You can thank us later!

Grmps
10-07-2018, 04:20 PM
As soon as Linux will run all my apps and programs :(

Jake McCracken
10-07-2018, 08:19 PM
As soon as Linux will run all my apps and programs :(Yep... what Grmps said. Has its place for some things, but much like Apple it has **** for software.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

GhostHawk
10-07-2018, 08:47 PM
Another vote for Linux Mint here, dead easy if you follow instructions.

And still doable if your old school and just wing it.

Rick Hodges
10-08-2018, 08:58 AM
Microsoft has put that update on hold because of the data loss issue. Won't release it until they find and fix the problem. I backed up all my pictures and documents anyway..... not that I don't trust them. :killingpc

1911sw45
10-08-2018, 10:06 AM
I went to a dual boot system with LinuxMint Cinnamon 18.2 about 2 years ago. Been using it 99% of the time. Only go back to widows a tax time. This coming tax time I am going to try something on LinuxMint. Federal is easy its the state taxes. I really like it.

Dieselhorses
10-08-2018, 10:20 AM
Yes they stopped it, latest in update history should be "1803".

KenH
10-08-2018, 11:08 AM
I went to a dual boot system with LinuxMint Cinnamon 18.2 about 2 years ago. Been using it 99% of the time. Only go back to widows a tax time. This coming tax time I am going to try something on LinuxMint. Federal is easy its the state taxes. I really like it.

Yep, I'm in the same situation, use a dual boot system because there are some programs that just won't run under Wine. Good luck trying to use an Iphone under Linux. "IF" you do find something that will do income tax under Linux be sure to post the info.

Ford SD
10-08-2018, 12:49 PM
I have win 10 on 1 system

why win 7 will not run on a newer AMD cpu /Motherboard ...Ryzen CPU does not support Win 7

I tried for several days ( not a computer nerd... only a bit) Mint / linex would not run my video card to its full potential

computer would not play sound through video card when watching a movie..

Love Linex /mint .... almost a one click install.. my video card not supported....

if you buy the right stuff not a problem ... read the box and ask the right questions...

ps
I have 15 years of digital family pictures backed up on a hard drive that is not connected to a computer.... for.. power surge.. malware.. virus

1911sw45
10-08-2018, 12:52 PM
I know about The iPhone problem. Wish apple would come up with program to work on Linux. I've been a iPhone user for about 10 yrs. the only cell phone I will own. Just about 3-4 generations behind the newest ones.

1911sw45
10-08-2018, 12:56 PM
That is the problem I have now with Linuxmint Cinnamon 19 and had with 18.2 video sound even though all the way turned up you can barely hear it. Plug in the ear pods or headphones volume works just fine or Bluetooth speakers.

454PB
10-08-2018, 01:48 PM
I replaced my hard drive with an SSD (120 GB, $32) and installed Linux Mint 19. What an amazing difference! I can boot the computer and be on the internet in 90 seconds, and no constant nagging for anti-virus and Window updates. So far I've been able to find software to do everything Windows did.

gnostic
10-08-2018, 01:55 PM
I went to a Chrome Book about two laptops ago and never looked back. We still have a Window's 10 laptop at home, that never gets used. It's too slow...

Sam Casey
10-08-2018, 03:14 PM
I have W 10. Works pretty well as is. I have two Passports; big and bigger to save my important stuff. Biggest problem I have is the apparent random way it saves downloads. Waste a lot of time looking for downloads.

Blindshooter
10-17-2018, 08:30 PM
I'm a fan of Ubuntu and linux in general. Have to keep Window$ around for some things and I have to use it at work. I have fixed up a bunch of my older friends that are mostly computer illiterate with linux installs, its mostly bullet proof for the Internet surfers and easily fixed if they do blow it up. Other than work all my computers are pretty much trash picks. In my limited experience Intel chipsets play better with linux than others especially video.

Handloader109
10-18-2018, 02:56 PM
If you are afraid of Win 10's automatic downloading and installing updates, then the one fix i've found is to change your internet to Metered Connection.
This will stop all downloads. I've had other folks have major issues with some laser software that is used for most fiber lasers and the company is slow to update.
I stopped last couple on my main laser computer and no issues so far. Would love linux, but software will most probably not run on it.
(should try old laptop I guess)

Omega
10-18-2018, 03:44 PM
I have enough systems to run what I want, so one is on Linux Mint 19 (64), one Linux Mint 19 (32), one on Win 7 Ultimate (64) and another on Win 7 Ultimate (32). The Linux machines are just for surfing, occasional pdf, or office document creation and printing. The Win 7 machines run programs that won't run under Linux (or I don't have the Linux version), such as my Photoshop. But I must admit, I'm on my android tablet more than my laptops, if they could run everything I probably would have no need for the laptops. My next system upgrade will be a wireless printer (wifi print), that will probably make the laptops almost obsolete.