PDA

View Full Version : Marlin pistol grip to straight grip?

frankenfab
10-07-2018, 10:03 AM
Can a pistol grip receiver be converted to straight grip by flattening the lower stock tang?

Der Gebirgsjager
10-07-2018, 11:18 AM
I would say "yes", but the easier way would be to (1) buy a straight buttstock, (2) buy a straight tang, (3) buy a straight lever. Check the parts houses.

osteodoc08
10-07-2018, 11:20 AM
Too much more to reshape factory. Replace parts or swap with someone

MyFlatline
10-07-2018, 11:29 AM
Agreed on buying the parts. Some take a hack saw an cut the tang but then it is not worth anything after than. Honestly, you would be better off to find a beater straight stock rifle and change out parts. If you are thinking a Model 336, most all parts interchange.

pietro
10-07-2018, 12:39 PM

FWIW, I've done several via cutting, re-shaping the sides of the cut & refinishing the buttstock; grinding/filing the outside of the lower tang flat, polishing & re-bluing & then heating/re-shaping the curved lever.

No disrespect to any here, but the conversion's not for a beginner...……….. Why most shooters prefer to be parts-changers.

frankenfab
10-07-2018, 01:28 PM
Great info from all, thanks. I'm going to get a set of parts.

I just got back into a machine shop again, running the CNC milling department. I'll look in to making some after I get a set in my hands. They are not common, but I found a set. I'm pretty sure the levers could be laser cut, then machined. We have 3 lasers, two will cut up to 3/4". Not sure of the effect as far as edge hardening on cutting 4140 with a laser, either. The trigger guard plate could be machined.

Texas by God
10-07-2018, 06:38 PM
REMarlin should bring the Texan back. I don't care if it comes with Matte black steel and Birch stocks- bring it back for those of us who love straight grip lever actions!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

3856imp
10-07-2018, 11:59 PM
Just buy a gun with a straight grip and do what you want with it.

3856imp
10-08-2018, 12:13 AM
I have a few laying around the house a 35 rem and a 450 marlin

3856imp
10-08-2018, 12:18 AM
The 35 rem is rechambered to 35 lever power

FergusonTO35
10-08-2018, 09:40 AM
REMarlin should bring the Texan back. I don't care if it comes with Matte black steel and Birch stocks- bring it back for those of us who love straight grip lever actions!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Exactly! The 336 just doesn't look right with a pistol grip stock, it never has.

TheGrimReaper
10-15-2018, 09:50 AM
Exactly! The 336 just doesn't look right with a pistol grip stock, it never has.
I must be weird, cause I really like and prefer them.

Texas by God
10-15-2018, 10:56 AM
I actually like both, the Win 64 is beautiful. The Savage 99 looks "right" either way, too. In my opinion!

Drm50
10-15-2018, 11:04 AM
I'm one of those guys who can't handle pistol grip stock on lever guns. A couple years ago when Ohio
got rifle deer season I was caught without much selection of legal rifles. In fact the only legal rifle I
had was a old Marlin 1895. To me that's a cannon to hunt deer with. I traded up a 1894 in 44mg and
a Marlin 375Win. The 375 had the pistol grip stock, and gun was mint NIB. I sighted gun in off bench
and didn't pay that much attention to stock. 1st day of deer season I decided I didn't like the feel of
it. Most of my deer are shot under 100yds and on the "jump". The pistol grip just wasn't a natural
pointer for me. When I looked at what new parts would cost to convert to saddle stock I lost interest
in the rifle and traded it for #3 Ruger/375Win. I just bought a Savage 99 in 250/3000, 1950s vintage
and it's pistol grip. I wouldn't have bought it but I have been wanting a 99 in 250 because I use to
have a 99 carbine - straight stock, and it was a quick pointing woods deer rifle. It's not mint but high
condition. It doesn't feel as ackward as a Marlin or Win does with pistol grip, but still doesn't float like
a straight stock. I think the pistol grips may be a little easier for most to use especially with scopes.
Maybe Im nuts because pistol grips don't bother me on rifles other than levers. When I get a lever
with pistol grip instead of spending money to convert it, I just look to swap for one with straight stock. All my stuff is older desirable models and parts switching is expensive and kills value of the
rifle.

FergusonTO35
10-16-2018, 01:27 PM
I don't mind pistol grips on rifles with button mags or half mags. They just look goofy on a full length mag, especially with a carbine barrel. I never had any interest in the Marlin 39 because, not only does it have a pistol grip stock but, it's friggin' huge and dwarfs the receiver! Now, the Marlin XLR series look great with pistol grip stocks.