PDA

View Full Version : Homer Culver`s measure

STP
03-31-2005, 07:53 PM
Amongst a large quanity of loading gear I acquired last year was an original Culver measure. (Including a complete Lyman 55 measure)
As a combo, it worked very well. Since then I tried to find current references to the use of, or sale of the same to no avail.
Anyone use one of these now, or in the past, and where did yours go??

stephen perry
08-27-2010, 06:33 PM
I have 2 don't know what they are worth. Homer was a good benchrest shooter back in the 50-70's NBRSA, he shot BR before 1950 also. The Culver insert used a Lyman 55 gutted and his click adjustment inserted. You can read articles on Culver and his powder thrower in the Benchrest Primer.

What Homer provided for the bench loader was a repeatable thrower single cavity with numbered clicks. Culver throwers hold their value and appeal. I have a Culver/Nagy and a Culver/Jones. Todays powder throwers like Harrell continue to use the Culver inserts that they make.

I use a Bruno today which is another Culver insert model built to Bruno's standards. Culver type throwers are worth keeping.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Green Frog
08-27-2010, 09:10 PM
I think the Culvers (and their clones) will come out of the closet as collectors recognize their significant place in the history of precision reloading. I don't have an original Culver but do have an insert from one of the folks who copied his idea. Like some of the earliest Culvers, my insert is mounted in an old Ideal #5 to make it a little more special. :cool:

Rest assured that your Culver is a fine piece of equipment that will do excellent measuring for you for a long time to come. Use it with pride... I know I would! :mrgreen:

Froggie

PS If the responsibility of owning it becomes too great for you to bear, just drop me a PM and I'll gladly take it off your hands, I'll even come get it! [smilie=2: GF

PPS SP, I talked to one of the old timers @ Lyman, and Homer had gotten to the point where Lyman would sell him new body castings so he could finish and equip them to suit himself. Also as an additional tidbit, Culver or one of his copy cats used to paint the bodies of the measures they built a weird shade of blue so folks would know the whole job was theirs.

stephen perry
08-28-2010, 08:58 AM
Like Frog mentioned Culver had 200 Lyman gray casings and his drums ready to go when he got sick back in about 75. His bud Geza Nagy came in and assembled the throwers for Culver. He did not take credit or profit and did not stamp his name on the drum as Culver did on the ones he assembled.

I bought my Culver/Nagy in 1977 from Sinclair for $75. I was back in Ohio shooting the 1977 NBRSA Nats at Kelbly's Range that year. Back then Lyman had switched to gray case bodies for their throwers. I also have a Culver/Jones thrower that is orange. Jones took the Culver drum design to the next step, tightened up the drums and used his own markings for indicators on the drum. Jones stamped his drums Custom Products. Both mine still work fine. I carry a Culver/Bruno now to the BR Shoots so my other Culvers stay home for bench loading. I still have my original Ideal 55 orange thrower bought in 62, loaded many thousands of everything before I got my Culvers. Never sell it.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

MadCo
11-14-2010, 09:11 PM
Sorry for the late bump, but was just searching Homer Culver and found this. My grandfather recently passed away and I inherited a few. Was just trying to find any info I could on these. Homer or as I knew him ''Pappie" would come down nearly every Saturday to dove hunt with us when I was a kid. Makes me wish I was a little older back then.

Green Frog
11-15-2010, 09:32 AM
Sorry for the late bump, but was just searching Homer Culver and found this. My grandfather recently passed away and I inherited a few. Was just trying to find any info I could on these. Homer or as I knew him ''Pappie" would come down nearly every Saturday to dove hunt with us when I was a kid. Makes me wish I was a little older back then.

Welcome to the forum, MadCo. I think you will find a lot of friendly folks with good information to share here. In addition, you might wish to troll through the benchrest boards as Culver was a practitioner of that art and that would have been "ground zero" for his tools. :coffeecom

I would love to see somebody who knows more about it than I do give a sort of summary of all the Culver and Culver clone variants, a field identification guide, if you will. One of the Precision Shooting authors was sending me such information about 8-10 years ago but died suddenly before he got very far with it. It would be very nice to be able to recognize which one is which. :?:

For those thinking about how great it would be to actually use this type of powder measure, the Harrell series are the spiritual successors of the Culver and come in a variety of sizes and features and are purpose built "from the ground up" rather than rebuilt from Lyman body castings. :-D

Froggie

MadCo
11-15-2010, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the response. I'm just getting into reloading seriously (Been doing my deer loads for about 10 years). Had no idea who Homer Culver was, other than just one of my grandads hunting buddies. I was only about 12 or 13 at the time. I think we have one of the first ones he ever made, along with a couple of his later ones, a pistol and a special one in which only 2 were ever made that we know of.
Its amazing finding out who all of his friends were, and their accomplishments. Just wish I was a little older so I could have picked their brains.

scrapcan
11-15-2010, 07:24 PM
I think it woudl be good if you guys put somepictures up. Also might be interestign if one of you had one that could be loaned to a few members of the Antique Reloading Tool Collectors Association for incorporation into a study fo the lyman measures that is ongoing.

If anyone is intersted in such endeavor shoot me a pm. Froggie is aware of the work that is being done and can vouch for the comprehensive nature of the project.

Green Frog
11-15-2010, 08:43 PM
Froggie is aware of the work that is being done and can vouch for the comprehensive nature of the project.

That's a fact, Jack!! :mrgreen:

From a purely selfish standpoint, I would love to have that branch of the study to look at for my own enlightenment, as I told just about all I know on the subject in my previous post in this thread. :???:

I'll be standing by hopefully. :mrgreen:

Froggie

MadCo
11-15-2010, 09:13 PM
I can try to get you pictures of the ones we have if it will help anything. Probaly wont be until the weekend. Also have a couple older measures on the shelf that I'm not sure what they are. I'll try to get some pics maybe you can tell me what they are.

scrapcan
11-16-2010, 05:53 PM
MadCo,

post what pictures or info that you ahve and I will get those that know to take a look. Of Course Froggie is already here. Pressman and Floodgate will likely see this thread, if not I will get them ofver here when your info arrives.

If you have any paper or pricing info I know that would be very much appreciated.

MadCo
11-16-2010, 06:56 PM
No pricing. These were given directly to my grandfather and another friend of his from Homer. Two of them have never had a grain of powder through them. The boxes are in good shape, with just the plastic on the inside torn( I guess to take them out and look at). I'll try to post pics when I can. They arent in my possesion. 5 of them are orange, and my father has a grayish/blue one. All have the same cylinder, but the earlier ones dont have Homers name on them.

scrapcan
11-18-2010, 02:54 PM
MadCo,

If it were possible to loan one of the as new in box measures for the research project I am sure it woudl be appreciated and well taken care of in the process.

If you would like to pm or email me I will giv eyou some additional info on why this woudl be a big contribution to the cause. I will also give you the contact info for the main player int eh research and documentation project.

Jeremy