PDA

View Full Version : Winchester model 70/2008 limited edition

gray wolf
09-28-2008, 07:14 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a very fortunate guy, :drinks:I was given a free pass at one of the local gun shops from one of my dear friends. --- Yup-- go get what you want for a Deer rifle.
So poor no money me can now talk to you all about cast bullets for a rifle. I know it may not be the caliber of choice for cast bullets but I wanted to brag it up a bit. Also I wanted some feed/back. I know this always opens up a can of worms but I will take it as it comes.
So off I went shopping for a new deer rifle for hunting here it the state of Maine.
I went to a large gun store and looked and looked for a whole day.
I am not into plastic stocks--this is only my opinion I just like the look of Walnut. I also wanted a blued action with some traditional looking lines.
Then I was handed a new model 70 feather-weight deluxe 2008 limited edition in 270 Win. ( So far all the read ups about this new model 70 are good ones )
My first reaction was how good it felt in my hands, I looked at it from the crown to the limsaver recoil pad. The rifle was very well made. The bluing was rich,deep and even from the receiver to the end of the barrel.
Metal to wood fit was very tight with no imperfections. The two action lugs are bedded and the fit is very tight. The bolt is jeweled with the Mauser type extractor claw. M.O.A trigger at 3 pounds and adjustable to about two pounds.
The action is very smooth.
I am very happy with the way the new Winchesters are made. I guess they are made in the South by F/N.
Well thats my take and I would like to here some others comments on this rifle.
The 270 was not my first choice but it was all they had. Was told they are hard to come by. I know this cartridge has been around for a long time but I am a little new to it.
I was thinking the 150 grain Rem. core locks at about 2,650 to 2,700 for 50 to 200 yard shots at 150 to 180 pound Deer. But then again I have read that the 270 likes 130 grain bullets. I will be hand loading.
SO HELP me out here -- a little input about the rifle and what to load for it.
I should say I chose to put a Zeiss conquest 3x9 scope on the rifle.
Almost $1,400 out the door and YES it was a gift.
So now I need a little ( A-lot ) of input from you all as to how far can I go with cast bullets for this rifle, and if it is doable ?
Bullets, velocity, leading, lube, mold, and can it be accurate and take deer size game. I hope I am not asking to much all at once. I am excited :Fire: :-D
I also just had neck surgery and can't shoot it for about two weeks. :(:(
ArrrG.
GW.

9.3X62AL
09-28-2008, 07:28 PM
NICE GIFT!

The 270 is a fine deer caliber with controlled expansion 130 grain bullets--flat shooting and accurate as all get out. The 150s might be better for elk or large northern deer, either will do fine work--but the 130 made the 270's reputation.

I have no experience with the caliber and cast bullets, and not a whole lot with the jacketed bullets either. The 270 doesn't get a lot of discussion as a cast boolit caliber here, but it does surface from time to time. As a general rule with any high-powered bolt rifle, I suggest a heavy-for-caliber slug cast as a soft-point (see BruceB's stickied text elsewhere on this subject) running 1700-2000 FPS or at the highest velocity at which accuracy results--whichever comes first. 270 caliber gas checks might be a little tough to find, too.

DLCTEX
09-28-2008, 07:40 PM
Out to 200 yds. the 150 gr. should work just fine. I would consider that medium range for the 270. That said, for the size deer you stated, the 130 is a fine choice, but if you have thoughts of maybe going after heavier game the 150 would let you gain experience with the bullet. DALE

Alchemist
09-28-2008, 07:51 PM
Congratulations Gray Wolf!!

Hope you recover soon and get that new rifle sighted in and ready for deer season. :drinks:

Good luck in your quest for cast loads. I don't have a .270 so I can't help ya there. No doubt you'll find someone here that has "been there-done that".

Let us know how it goes....you'll love that model 70; mine (.30-06) isn't fancy or even a pre-64, but it is a good shooter nonetheless.

gray wolf
09-28-2008, 08:06 PM
Thanks men I am starting to get a good feeling about this. I am not sure but Hornady may still make the checks for the .270. I hope--i hope.

13Echo
09-28-2008, 08:39 PM
I shot a .270 for years and my brothers still do. It is a superb cartridge, accurate, and flat shooting. I really don't see where it gives anything to the small bore super magnums other than muzzle blast and recoil. I always used Sierra and Hornady 130 gr bullets and occassionally 150s. It is deadly on deer and is certainly useable on elk with the heavier bullets. It is without a doubt, along with the 30-06, the classic North American big game cartridge. For an all around rifle you cannot go wrong with the .270 especially in a controlled round feed Winchester Mod 70. Jack O'Conner would be proud.

Jerry Liles

kooz
09-28-2008, 08:45 PM
I have been using a Winchester Model 70 for years, it is the best rifle I have ever owned or shot, I have complete confidence in this rifle, it would be the last one to go. You can't go wrong with the M-70 in 270 it is a true classic.

Swamprat1052
09-28-2008, 08:53 PM
I use only jacketed bullets in my 270 also. For a deer rifle it is hard to beat and Jack O'conner
took every American big game animal with it and lots of plains game in Africa. I dont think you could have made a better choice for an all around rifle. Like has been said, 130 gr. for deer sized game and 150 for bigger.

The deer in my avatar here was killed up in Alberta with my 270 at close to 250 yds. I was using 150 gr. Nosler Partitions, too much bullet for deer but those deer are big boddied and we had a couple of Grizzlies that were a little too friendly to suit us. I loaded with the Partitions because of the griz. I was afraid it was too tough a bullet and wouldnt expand on a deer sized target. Wrong!! That bullet did all you could ask, and the deer fell dead about 20 yds from where I shot him. One shot.

Yeah, I like my 270. Congratulations on your Model 70, that should be one fine rifle.

Swamprat

crabo
09-28-2008, 11:07 PM
This close to deer season, I would stick with jacketed to break in the barrel and to simplify your process.

Sagebrush Burns
09-28-2008, 11:40 PM
In my experience (I've loaded for about six or seven different 270s) both 150 and 130 grain bullets work well. Some rifles can show a preference... In every 270 I've worked with 130 grain bullets and H4831 have shot well. Usually 60.0 grains gives a velocity of at least 3100 fps with very good accuracy. One rifle wanted 62.0 grains to achieve the same velocity level but did not show pressure signs. With 150 grain bullets I've used H4831, RL-22, and MR3100 successfully. Every 270 I've loaded for has worked best with max or near max loads.

jameslovesjammie
09-29-2008, 04:14 AM
+1 on what Sagebrush_Burns said.

If you want an excellent .270 load, use H4831 and a 130 grain Sierra Gameking. It is an excellent bullet for deer. They are easy to kill. You do not need a controlled expansion bullet for deer. You also don't need 150 grains.

I am a .270 man, AND a Model 70 man, so I think your new rifle is just tops!

bobk
09-29-2008, 12:36 PM
I use the 130 Nosler Ballistic Tip. It actually seems a bit more stout than the 180 .30 BT. Check on Nosler Proshop for deals on overruns. I like partitions, but your average deer falls right over with the BT. With smaller bullets, or larger game, the partition may be more appropriate. I use 180s in the '06 because they shoot so well out of all my guns. I find Hornady makes great handgun bullets, but some of their rifle bullets are kinda hard. I am in the process of terminal-testing some of my old loads.

Bob K

gray wolf
09-29-2008, 07:20 PM
First of all let me say thank you all for letting me post this kind of question,
and get these kinds of answers. I say that because this is a cast bullet forum and you folks are just so great to help me out like this.

If you want an excellent .270 load, use H4831 and a 130 grain Sierra Gameking

Well that would make me a happy camper. That is the bullet I was looking at. That bullet and the 130 grain pro hunter are about half the price of the other so called specialty bullets
with all the plastic tips, solid copper bodies, and hoop da lu special jacket construction.
I am sure they are all great bullets and I have always liked the Nosler partitions but cheese
30 -40 bucks for fifty, or 39 bucks for 20--wow. How could a guy shoot 50 or 75 rounds two times a week ?? insane Eh.
I also am looking at the winchester 130 grain soft points, and the Remington old stand by the core lock in 130 grain. They are all close in price if you get them by the hundred pack.
and about 85 bucks for 500. I think they will all kill deer and should shoot good out to 250 yards. Perhaps under an inch at 100 yards.
If I ever could afford it I could always try some HPBT match bullets for the paper.
Sierra has them for 31.99 per hundred.
But any of the above cheaper ones should take a deer and a Chi-Com if-in they come down the road Eh.
I will try them and play with the seating Dept's. I had an old Remington 223 that loved the bullet about .015 off the lands.
I sure hope I can cast for this, the last time I looked Hornady still had the 270 G/C for sale.
I am sure there is a good mold out there for it also. In the black at 75 yards and I could be happy.

Thanks again for the help

GW.

jameslovesjammie
10-02-2008, 06:11 PM
gray wolf,

This is a video of my Dad shooting a deer in 2003 with his .270, loaded with 130 grain Sierra Gamekings and 60 grains H4831. Distance was ~225 yards. Papa built the gun, which is an Interarms Mark X action, 24" barrel, Timney trigger, and hand carved maple stock purchased semi-inleted from a custom stockmaker named John Cook from my home town. The scope is an old Weaver K4.

Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WhZKnOEoSQ

fourarmed
10-03-2008, 01:01 PM
Greywolf, I too have been hunting deer with a .270 for many years, and there is no better open country deer caliber. If you still-hunt in timber, there are those who will argue for levers, pumps, or autos, but the first shot is always the best one, and in my experience, a good 130 grain .270 bullet anywhere in the body will stop a deer. When I say "good" I mean one that will open up quickly. I have not used the Gameking, but the Sierra Pro Hunter opens a little too slowly for me. I recommend trying the Hornady Interlock, the Speer spitzer, and the Nosler Ballistic tip, and going with the one that groups best.

I have used the SAECO cast bullet in my rifles, and it does very well. It allows a lot of cheap practice.

Dorf
10-04-2008, 10:06 AM
Gray Wolf -- Good for you on the M70 in .270. When I lived in Maine, I knew a few people who used the .270 for deer and were very pleased with it. I suspect that it would make a good "Moose Rifle" also when loaded with the 150 gr Noslers or perhaps the Barnes bullets. I find down here in the hills, that the .270 is also quite common, especially for those of us who are recoil conscious. As has been said above, Jack O'Connor took just about everything that walks this continent using it and it used to be very popular in Alaska with sheep/goat chasers-- good long range trajectory and capable of dealing with griz if the need arose. Good luck from an Ex-Pat Maniac. Stan

carpetman
10-04-2008, 10:37 AM
Gray Wolf---I use a .243 for deer and the deer (not the bullet) do tend to run a little smaller here in Texas,but some do have some size and the .243 works on them too. Almost everybody on the planet says if you use a .243 you must use a PREMIUM bullet----I agree. My definition of a premium bullet---one that is put where you want it to go. If you do that,the cheaper bullets work fine--put it in the right place. Actually percentage wise few hunters reload. Boards like this would make it seem a large percentage do--but it's actually small. What does that have to do with anything? Your average Joe hunter does not have premium bullets---they go to Wal Mart and buy the cheaper ones---and they take game. That .270 on deer with 130's or 150's either one will work fine on deer. Probably both work on moose--for sure the 150's will as 150's in a 30-06 work great on them----afterall a .270 is just a necked down 30-06.

gray wolf
10-04-2008, 11:14 AM
You folks have given me some good info here and I thank you. That's what I love about you guy's. Your all so full of knowledge and are so willing to share it.
I have done some reading on the 270 also and I am sure it will be a fine rifle for my needs. If I can get in some cast bullet shooting this year that will be topping on the cake. If not I am sure by next warm weather I will have a mold and be casting for it. So thank you all for the info.

GW.

carpetman
10-05-2008, 12:44 AM
Graywolf--RCBS makes a mold same style as the .22 cal and the 6mm(.243) in .270. You can get good accuracy and velocity out of this bullet but I doubt it would be good for hunting---I know the .243 is not--just too small diameter for cast on deer.

rollingblock
10-14-2008, 12:02 AM
I have a lyman single cavity mould in 270 that I bought about 1968. Its in good condition and I'll send it to you if you want.(its no longer made) It doesn't owe me anything and I have no use for it now. I wouldn't want any money for it but it would be handy for me to have someone in the states to receive things like bullet moulds I might buy on e-bay. (a lot of sellers don't ship internationally) Then send them to me in New Zealand. I would meet the cost of any postage. My e-mail is jama@slingshot.co.nz

gray wolf
10-14-2008, 09:00 AM
That is very nice of you to make that offer---but at this time I don't think I can accept it.

GW.