PDA

View Full Version : scrapped one

RED BEAR
10-04-2018, 10:08 AM
well i always wondered how you could mess up a lee mold when leementing it . found out was using electric screw driver to polish it and thought an electric drill would work better forgot to reset the torque setting hit the trigger and the screw shot straight through the slug and into the mold . well at least they are only 20 dollars. i now have a new single cavity mold.

MT Gianni
10-04-2018, 10:33 AM
If it's straight you just hollowpointed it. Not the first and won't be the last.

Grmps
10-04-2018, 12:36 PM
I'm always afraid of this. I double/triple check the setting on the drill clutch before I start the start really slow until the mold closes, clean the mold then proceed.

I used to pre-drill the holes in the boolits with a piece of tape wrapped around the drill bit determining the depth I wanted then cut the tip off the screw to help prevent any incursion past that depth.

To be 100% safe pour each boolit through a nut and use a socket to turn the boolit

Down South
10-04-2018, 11:28 PM
To be 100% safe pour each boolit through a nut and use a socket to turn the boolit
That's what I used to do with Lee moulds, until I quit buying them.

William Yanda
10-05-2018, 09:13 AM
That's what I used to do with Lee moulds, until I quit buying them.

Was that a drive by gloat?

RED BEAR
10-05-2018, 09:37 AM
it was not centered more to one side. centered the cavity in drill press and drilled it down till it was gone. now one cavity cast a 125 grain bullet with a nose the size of the lube groves. not sure what i will do with it. i guess i might try it in my 32 hr mag. but at least i still have one cavity to use. i use lee molds a lot because of the price. if i could afford it all my molds would be mp molds.

Down South
10-05-2018, 11:11 AM
Was that a drive by gloat?

No, Just an honest answer. I have a number of Lee Moulds. I have had no need to purchase another one.