PDA

View Full Version : Dick Lee

ubetcha
10-03-2018, 07:03 PM
Was talking
to my brother today and he told me that his wife had either read or heard that Dick Lee had past away. Will find out more on Saturday. I had met and shot with Dick several years ago when I was a range officer at a LGS that had indoor bullseye leagues. Great person to talk to and very knowledgeable in guns and reloading. He had asked me what I was shooting for bullseye, and I said a 357 with 148gr wadcutters. He asked if I had tried anything lighter in bullet weight, and I said I wasn't aware that there was anything lighter in wadcutters. The next week he handed me a single cavity 116gr dew and said to try this. If it didn't work out I should just throw it away. Well they worked pretty good but my 148gr load was shooting pretty good the way it was, but the other range officer had a bad wrist on his shooting hand and the 116gr worked for him. I still have that mould and as far as I know, its a one of a kind and given to me by Dick Lee himself. If what I heard was true, I'm sad to hear it. RIP my friend.

NoZombies
10-03-2018, 07:12 PM
However folks might feel about his individual products, I don't think anyone would question the mans contributions to reloading.

RIP

Dusty Bannister
10-03-2018, 07:23 PM
https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/jsonline/obituary.aspx?page=lifestory&pid=190321090

Lee, Richard of Hartford passed away September 22, 2018 at 88 years. Born in Milwaukee, he is survived by his wife Marlene and five children; Linda Hauser (Mark), Mary Krentz (Dan Komp), John (Nancy), Susan Knickrehm and Robert (Agnes) and 14 grandchildren and 6 great grandchildren and his sister Dorothy. He was the founder of Lee Precision. Private services planned. Memorials to St. Peter's Church in Slinger or Alzheimer's Foundation. The Phillip Funeral Home of West Bend is assisting the family.

pressonregardless
10-03-2018, 07:29 PM
https://leeprecision.com

"On a personal note, my Father, the inventor of the “Lee Loader” and more than 30 other patented reloading products recently passed away. Without Dad, I wouldn’t be here, and reloading your own ammunition would have been an expensive hobby for a wealthy few."

Sincerely,

John Lee
President

October 3, 2018

Jniedbalski
10-03-2018, 08:54 PM
I started reloading with lee and the lee loader.without lee I would only have a few dies or wouldn’t reload at all

Omega
10-03-2018, 09:08 PM
I've been a fan of Lee products since the mid 80s, and have a bunch of his gunsmith videos saved. R.I.P.

jmort
10-03-2018, 11:43 PM
Sad, sad news.
Loved his books
Love his products
God Bless that man
Hope to meet him in Heaven

Moleman-
10-04-2018, 12:12 AM
Started with a Lee press, just bought a Lee press, auto disk measure, and set of dies for my uncle to start reloading with this past week. Dies and powder measure came today and loaded a few rounds with it. Next time he's over I'll have him reload some before sending it home with him along with a scale, extra drum measure, handiprime and other supplies. Did the same thing for my buddy, and it's easy to get someone set up to do basic reloading without costing an arm and a leg. I prefer their die sets although I put Hornady split lock rings on them.

Uncle R.
10-04-2018, 12:28 AM
I can't say I knew him well, but I got to meet him at the old John's Sport Shop in Hartford many years ago. It was obvious then that Lee was liked and respected by John and his employees. I read years ago that Dean Grennell thought pretty highly of Dick Lee too. It's obvious that he was intelligent, creative, and very knowledgeable about shooting and reloading. I'll bet he would have made great conversation around the fire in a hunting camp, or over a loading bench.

Godspeed, Richard Lee. Thanks for all you did to make reloading and casting affordable and popular.
I hope your reloading room is well stocked in the great beyond.

Uncle R.

MT Gianni
10-04-2018, 10:47 AM
I have a sc Lee 113 gr wc. I have never weighed it but believe it could vary from stamped to be 116 gr.

Texas by God
10-04-2018, 11:29 AM
Sad, sad news.
Loved his books
Love his products
God Bless that man
Hope to meet him in HeavenWell said. Same.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

ubetcha
10-04-2018, 11:43 AM
I was just on the Lee Precision website and if you click on the picture of Dick Lee (that's what I did or maybe click on the highlighted words personal notes) a eulogy will come up written by his son John about Dicks life. He had quite a life.

sukivel
10-04-2018, 11:47 AM
Well said. Same.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Yep well said...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kylongrifle32
10-04-2018, 12:32 PM
I have used Lee products for over 40 years. He has contributed greatly to the shooting sports. Many blessings to his family.

Tom W.
10-04-2018, 01:54 PM
Some of his things were good, some not so good, but they all worked and served a purpose.. I suspect a whole lot of handloaders started out with his products, and still have some. I know I did....

gwpercle
10-04-2018, 06:03 PM
A $9.99 Classic Lee Loader got me started in 1967 and his single cavity boolit moulds were affordable enough so I could buy more than just one bullet weight and design.
When you are young and broke Lee opened the door for a lot of us.

Thanks Richard ,
God Bless You

megasupermagnum
10-04-2018, 09:14 PM
Lee products are not cheap, they are inexpensive, the way they should be. Truly an American innovator. I've got tons of Lee gear that is both the least expensive, and the best you can buy. That's what American manufacturing should be. I hope his family carries on his spirit in all aspects of life.

RedHawk357Mag
10-06-2018, 12:57 AM
Thanks for sharing that information. A personal note was an excellent read.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Iowa Fox
10-06-2018, 11:20 PM
Sad news. His products launched me on to the path of reloading many moons ago, may you continue to guide us now old timers with your wisdom from above.

Dieselhorses
10-06-2018, 11:50 PM
It just occurred to me who "Dick Lee" was (Richard Lee). R.I.P Mr. Lee, you made quite an impression on the reloading community.

Horseman1
10-08-2018, 03:47 PM
Sorry to hear this. I always wanted to tell him how much I enjoyed reading Modern Reloading.