PDA

View Full Version : architects - design help

HATCH
10-02-2018, 08:57 PM
My son is doing a Eagle Scout proposal and was looking for a architect to do a easy drawing for him.

He is going to build a 10ft x 12ft dining shelter
Its just a Roof with no walls

Basic design specs

6x6x10 post in each corner (figure 7 feet clearance to walk under the beams on the side)
2x8x12 beams connecting the posts on the sides (the rafters will sit on these)
2x6x10 beams connecting the posts on the ends (just to keep everything square, not load bearing)
simple 2x4 roof truss with the peak being 2ft tall
Metal roof

Thanks in advance

kevin c
10-03-2018, 03:11 AM
Can project plans be shared or modified between Scouts? I have been helping one just this past week put up his project, which is a ten by twenty foot shade structure for our range. Poured concrete footings (6), pressure treated posts, 2x6 rafters over 20 foot beams, pitched shingled roof over tar paper covered 1/2" ply.

HATCH
10-03-2018, 06:30 AM
Yes as far as I know

rancher1913
10-03-2018, 07:42 AM
if you have any parks around with existing structures, copy those. you have to be careful using generic plans, different areas of the country have different roof loads due to weather and need to be beefier. if you have a "morton buildings" or "cleary buildings" dealer in the area, check with them they may be willing to help with expertise.

HATCH
10-03-2018, 07:49 AM
I can design it. I was just looking for someone that had the software to draw it out professionally looking.

Camper64
10-03-2018, 09:15 AM
You can download SketchUp 2017 for free. I used it to design my toy shed (26 ft x 46 ft) garage.

kevin c
10-03-2018, 12:46 PM
I never saw the plans (I basically was there as manual labor). There were some on the fly mods made, and I think I heard him say he needs to change his drawing to match prior to submission (deadline [his eighteenth BD] is coming up fast), but I'll try to find out what he has and whether he is willing to share. But it'd just be for the basic design, no CAD software.

Camper, sounds like you have a lot of nice, big toys!

HATCH
10-03-2018, 12:57 PM
I just used paint to draw up some quick rough drawings.

Minerat
10-07-2018, 01:51 AM
Pm sent

popper
10-08-2018, 07:15 PM
I have a problem with adults doing kids projects. They need to learn how to learn. Local building codes are usually on the net, drainage and slab specs also. I understand adult over watch, sometimes needed. Little details like how to fasten rafters to the joists is important. Cost estimating should be part of the projects also. Anybody can nail some boards together but do they consider the liability if it fails - with people under it? Not trying to be an old boof but - .

HATCH
10-10-2018, 04:04 PM
He drew it out. I was basically trying to get a better looking easier to read drawing.

The scouts build the Eagle Projects
The adults supervise and assist only when it requires adult assistance.
As far as building codes go.
This is a 12x10 structure.
That’s 120 sq feet.
County doesn’t require a permit unless it’s 500 square feet or larger.
If it happened to be in city limits, which it’s not they require permits at 250 sq feet.
The beneficiary was a licensed contractor prior to entering the ministry so it’s going to be built to code and going to be built better the the house your probably living in (mine for that matter)
All projects out there are done with overkill in mind.
The beneficiary has changed a few designs on past projects.

JWT
10-10-2018, 07:12 PM
Your son needs to do all of the paperwork for the report and construction including the drawings. He will be asked about the drawing process in his board of review.

HATCH
10-10-2018, 07:18 PM
I have sat on many review boards. Thanks

tinhorn97062
10-15-2018, 12:42 AM
I’ve got CAD installed...send me a pm and let’s discuss.