PDA

View Full Version : Commercial cast bullets

chasw
09-28-2008, 11:22 AM
There are times when it makes sense to buy your cast bullets rather than make them yourself. The prime example is a new rifle or pistol where you are not sure which cast bullet design will perform best. Rather than risk $150 for a new mold, only to find out you needed a longer bullet for top accuracy, its better to try out several types and weights with commercial bullets first, then pop for that new mold.

Accordingly, I buy commercial cast bullets from selected makers. The run of the mill producers like Oregon Trail don't make the kind of bullets I favor. Their products are designed for lowest cost production with very hard alloys and lubes. Instead, I patronize specialty makers who offer a choice of sized diameters, alloys and lubes for each design. My favorites are listed below. I am certain there are others out there, but I can specifically recommend these. - CW

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/

http://www.castperformance.com/

http://www.montanabulletworks.com/default.php

Shiloh
09-28-2008, 12:11 PM
That is one way to do it.

Couple that with information from this forum and you will get an idea of what works and where to start. Just what rifles and pistols are you trying to load for? Most are covered in this forum, even many of the more obscure firearms and calibers.

Shiloh :castmine::castmine:

mooman76
09-28-2008, 12:36 PM
Or you could go to our bullet trading section and swap what you want to try.

Bullshop
09-28-2008, 12:56 PM
chasw, I am hurt truly hurt! Just couldnt make the cut. Oh the pain!!!
Better raise my prices so I can hobnob and hang with them other fellas.
Its OK though I get lots more shootin time thataway. I forgive ya!
Blessings
BIC/BS

chasw
09-28-2008, 11:03 PM
That is one way to do it.

Couple that with information from this forum and you will get an idea of what works and where to start. Just what rifles and pistols are you trying to load for? Most are covered in this forum, even many of the more obscure firearms and calibers.

Shiloh :castmine::castmine:

I recently completed initial load development for my Contender carbine barrel in .256 Winchester, see my other posts here for details. An obscure cartridge, its a semi wildcat at this point. Development of a pet load therefore was one of those things that you just have to do yourself, not many signposts along the way.

My objective was a small game rifle in a modern version of the .25 WCF. I asked for a 1in12 twist from the barrel maker, but got a 1in10 instead. My original intention was to use Lyman's 86 grain gas check design, however the 1in10 twist turned out to be too fast for all except an RCBS 100 grainer (106 with gas check and lube) from Montana Bullet Works. This longer bullet turned in better accuracy with several medium burners like SR4756.

A whole lot more experimentation determined a full case of Benchmark (about 17 grains) was the key to ultimate success. The hotter BR-4 primers have a slight edge over 205Ms in this load. This long bullet and Benchmark combo now routinely delivers 3 rounds, occasionally 5 rounds, into 3/8" at 50 yds from a rest, plenty good enough for the smallest rodent at that range. I finally have a small bore centerfire rifle that shoots cast bullets as well as my most accurate .22 lr rifle does with match ammo. - CW

Bullshop
09-28-2008, 11:24 PM
chasw
I just this week got a contender barrel in 256. I thought I had dies but when I went to load some ammo found I was mistaken, BUMMER. I now HAVE TO aquire some so am wondering what type are giving you such good service? I looked on some auction site but found very little other than a Redding neck sizer.
I tried a 25/20and no way that little fat case will fit in that die. I was also surprised to find it is also too fat to fit in a 25/222 die but too short to do any good if it did fit.
Would'nt happen to have an extra sizer would ya?
BIC/BS

Buckshot
09-29-2008, 03:36 AM
..............What? NOT buying new and different boolit moulds to try out ......................? Where's the fun in that? There's even a "Group Buy" forum here http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10 where people are dissatisfied with anything currently available, so they go and concoct their own. Due to these things, some are wallowing in the lap of poverty, but there they are :-) Divorce is almost a sure thing. Kids are walking to school with snow up to their eyebrows, and it's uphill in both directions, but there they are :-)

Are you trying to avoid all the fun? Shame.

...............Buckshot

chasw
09-29-2008, 09:18 AM
chasw
I just this week got a contender barrel in 256. I thought I had dies but when I went to load some ammo found I was mistaken, BUMMER. I now HAVE TO aquire some so am wondering what type are giving you such good service? I looked on some auction site but found very little other than a Redding neck sizer.
I tried a 25/20and no way that little fat case will fit in that die. I was also surprised to find it is also too fat to fit in a 25/222 die but too short to do any good if it did fit.
Would'nt happen to have an extra sizer would ya?
BIC/BS

Thanks, Bullshop. I had a lot of trouble getting a set of dies going. Both Redding and Hornady make standard FL dies sets for this round. I stared off with Hornady, my preferred brand due to the sliding sleeve for the seater. Unfortunately, my barrel has a very short chamber and the sizer would not set the shoulder back enough. I foolishly sent the die back to the factory, asking them to shorten it by the requisite amount, but they only milled a little bit off, not enough. So I tried removing more myself with a bench grinder, but took off too much and ruined the die.

Next, I ordered a sizer from Redding (not my preferred brand). It too was too long. This time I carefully removed just enough metal from the bottom of the sizer to allow my cases to fit my chamber. I chamfered the resulting edge with a small stone and presto, I was in business. Your mileage may differ, since the stock dies may fit your chamber just fine. Good luck - CW

Bullshop
09-29-2008, 10:01 AM
CW
Would you sell/trade me the Hornady set? I can make it work for me.
BIC/BS

chasw
09-29-2008, 11:21 PM
Bullshop: I have an extra Hornady .256 Win FL sizer die that I have no need for. Its a little short, but serviceable, you are welcome to it. PM me with your address and I'll ship it to you. Later, you can reimburse me for the cost of shipping. I also found a complete die set on ebay if you need it. - CW

http://cgi.ebay.com/BONANZA-256-WINCHESTER-DIES-GUN-PARTS_W0QQitemZ300261665370
QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item300261665370&_trkparms=72%3A1205|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|2
40%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14