PDA

View Full Version : Silver ...is down again

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-01-2018, 12:52 PM
Gold is down also.
Silver is bouncing from 14.30 to 14.60
December Silver futures are 14.58

http://www.kitco.com/news/2018-10-01/Gold-Silver-Prices-Down-As-Risk-Appetite-Up.html

I'm thinking about buying some...Anyone else thinking the same?

My favorite type of silver to buy is Walker Half Dollars...they are currently going for around $125-ish per roll, which is about $35 cheaper than I paid in 2016, the last time silver was near a 'bottom' of a cycle.

merlin101
10-01-2018, 12:56 PM
GREAT!! I know where I'm headed.

nagantguy
10-01-2018, 12:56 PM
If they do not induce our labor today at 2 we are going to see our “guy” and buy some sliver, at these prices we may buy more than we planned. Even at 14 something an ounce it still fairs better than our property value of 401k durning the most recent unpleasantness. And sometimes I pile it up and sit on it and pretend I’m some emporer or old.

snowwolfe
10-01-2018, 01:15 PM
I buy some every few months. Although I am starting to think it might be years, even decades before I see the price get high enough to make a decent profit.
My thoughts are when we have some extra cash we put some away in silver.
Time will tell.

JBinMN
10-01-2018, 01:39 PM
My oldest son is the silver & gold buyer in the family. He just recently bought some more. I have not talked to him for a couple weeks, but he may be buying more right now as well.

Me?... I bought 500+ more pounds of lead about a month or so ago at a really really good price while I had the chance. So, no extra $$ for the other "valuable" metals for me right now.
;)

SSGOldfart
10-01-2018, 02:01 PM
That's not ,so good news if one is already sitting on a few thousand bars.
www.Amex.com has been very good to buy from for me.

waksupi
10-01-2018, 04:08 PM
The price will stay low as long as the economy is good.

marek313
10-01-2018, 04:25 PM
I dont think it has anything to do with our economy. Prices of precious metals are artificially kept low to make our dollar look good. Anything to make $$$ look better. Silver is very heavily used in electronics, solar, batteries, medical etc etc very little gets recycled because of the low amounts used. Went to over $50/oz before and it will do it again just wait for those print presses to devalue dollar some more with the way we are going. One day people will open their eyes when dollar goes to **** and you will see lines at every jeweler in the area. I've seen it before in eastern europe where i grew up. My parents bought extra set of gold wedding bands and other jewelry back in the day in order to get away from inflating fiat money and we were broke growing up.

Wont take long neither once people get scared the run on precious metals will be crazy and price will more then double in a month just wait.

kens
10-01-2018, 05:10 PM
The price will stay low as long as the economy is good.

American politics swing back and forth Repub/Demcrat and so on.
Trump has the strong economy right now, and making silver/gold price go down.
But wait!! As soon as Trump is done I bet it will flip to a Dem, then watch the economy fail and silver prices skyrocket !!!!

dragon813gt
10-01-2018, 06:52 PM
I buy some on a monthly basis if not more often. I’ve been buying junk silver lately as it carries the lowest premium. Not the easiest to sell but dealers will still take it.

Truth is I’ve been buying less silver and putting more into the stock market. I realize these two markets are drastically different. But I’ve made a lot more on “pot stocks” over the last two months then I will probably ever make on silver. I keep it on hand as a hedge against inflation. And most of what I buy is numismatic. Very high premiums but they’re extremely easy to sell and they have an agreed upon value that doesn’t fluctuate like the spot price. If you look at numismatic Silver Eagles you will see their value increases the further you get away from the year minted. And the low mintage coins have a ridiculous ROI if you’re able to get them early on.

xbeeman412
10-01-2018, 07:07 PM
https://www.jmbullion.com/starter-pack/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgPjDr7rw3AIVERoBCh0rwg-0EAEYASAAEgK0KfD_BwE is where in the last 6 weeks we have brought 90 rounds..30 just rounds and 60 silver eagles since we had xtra $$$ to spend cause we arent doing any thing with me laid up in the recliner for a few months.

falmike
10-01-2018, 07:35 PM
My oldest son is the silver & gold buyer in the family. He just recently bought some more. I have not talked to him for a couple weeks, but he may be buying more right now as well.

Me?... I bought 500+ more pounds of lead about a month or so ago at a really really good price while I had the chance. So, no extra $$ for the other "valuable" metals for me right now.
;)

In the right situation, that lead will be WAY more valuable than Silver!

JBinMN
10-01-2018, 08:40 PM
In the right situation, that lead will be WAY more valuable than Silver!

I agree! It is actually of more value to me than silver & gold right now. It keeps me out of mischief too... Haha
;)

GhostHawk
10-01-2018, 09:00 PM
I have been delaying, waiting to see if my brother is going to be able to sell most of Dad's farmland.

130 acres is my share, and price could be anywhere in the 3-4 grand per acre range.

If so, I'd buy a big chunk, but probably only a 5th or so of the total. Scatter the rest out where it would be reasonably safe and grow.

Last time I bought prices were very close to this range.
I could have sold at 20 or near it but I really would like to see much more gain than that.
Patience is a virtue.

Price is low is a good time to buy.

rancher1913
10-01-2018, 09:10 PM
I'd take the land over silver.

osteodoc08
10-01-2018, 09:11 PM
I’ve been wanting to buy some for a while. Now is as good as ever to buy

JBinMN
10-01-2018, 09:39 PM
I'd take the land over silver.

Me too.
;)

xbeeman412
10-01-2018, 09:55 PM
I have land so time to branch out.

nvbirdman
10-01-2018, 11:36 PM
Ten years ago I was talking to a girl who encouraged me to put my money in gold.
I put it in the stock market instead.
The price of gold is the same right now as it was ten years ago.
The market has gone up a lot.

RogerDat
10-02-2018, 12:44 AM
precious metals are always a "store" of value. The hedge against inflation more than any realistic hope for most of timing the market to make a profit. Lead and brass on the other hand are of use now, and likely to become more expensive, especially if the economy is doing well and industrial demand is high. Brass having a tin and copper content is effected by industrial and commercial demands even more than lead.

I bought a tea pot at a flea market, seemed like the lid might be pewter from the dark patina, price was low and weight was heavy so..... Getting it home I find it is labeled as 850 silver. That should mean 85% silver and if that is correct I will be converting that investment into cash. Where it will be re-invested in some other precious metals. Like aluminum mold(s), brass, primers or powder. Price I was quoted was around $8 an oz. as scrap silver. Two pound pot. Other than that I want my money in growth greater than inflation as stock funds or even annuities would or working to help me do something of use today.

Silver was really high when two rich brothers tried to buy up enough of the world supply to form a monopoly and when inflation was really high and interest rates were around 12%, or when the economy collapsed in 2007, all hopefully not going to happen again soon.

Hickory
10-02-2018, 05:55 AM
The market now is running bull strong, but, major investor fear a collapse in the near future.
No investment nowadays is a bad investment.
Get rid of debt. If and when a money collapse comes Social Security and other retirement funds will trickle to a halt.
Think Venezuela. Plan for the worst, and pray for the best!

GhostHawk
10-02-2018, 09:10 AM
Long term, yes, land is good.

It does give me a return. But it does not grow, gain, increase, keep up with inflation.
Also what comes into it is that the land is in trust, and trust says my wife and step daughter can not inherit.

So I would rather break the trust, sell that land, find several other ways to let that value grow, and have it a bit more accessable. And when I am gone let my wife, and step daughter, and grand children inherit.

As always there are other factors involved.

And I would be looking for a chunk of land maybe not as good for farm land, but perhaps more in line with my interests. A place where I could spent winters in a milder climate. Fish when I feel like fishing. Shoot off the back porch if I feel like shooting.

GhostHawk
10-02-2018, 09:13 AM
Hickory I totally agree.

We have no debt, have some silver stashed, house is full of guns, ammo, food, water.

My worry is if we lose the grid or the Nat gas pipeline is trying to heat this house through a North Dakota Winter.

Instead of having all my eggs in one basket, one chunk of land. I'd rather have several baskets. More options.

snowwolfe
10-02-2018, 01:51 PM
Long term, yes, land is good.

It does give me a return. But it does not grow, gain, increase, keep up with inflation.
Also what comes into it is that the land is in trust, and trust says my wife and step daughter can not inherit.

So I would rather break the trust, sell that land, find several other ways to let that value grow, and have it a bit more accessable. And when I am gone let my wife, and step daughter, and grand children inherit.

As always there are other factors involved.

And I would be looking for a chunk of land maybe not as good for farm land, but perhaps more in line with my interests. A place where I could spent winters in a milder climate. Fish when I feel like fishing. Shoot off the back porch if I feel like shooting.

Many many real estate investors would disagree with you about land not gaining value or keeping pace with inflation.

waksupi
10-03-2018, 11:57 AM
Many many real estate investors would disagree with you about land not gaining value or keeping pace with inflation.

Agreed. I gave $16,500 for my land 32 years ago. Current evaluation on taxes is $380,000. They ain't making no more land, unless it's Hawaii and it's volcanoes, or China's build-an-island projects.

roughcreek
10-03-2018, 12:35 PM
Must be careful and buy from reputable source. China has dumped a lot of fake silver coins in the US. Some found a while back at several dealers in the area.

dragon813gt
10-03-2018, 01:19 PM

My Uncle would be one of them. He put all his money into real estate and to say it’s gained value would be an understatement. W/ the minimum value being around $500,000 on a less then $100,000 investment he’s sitting on a lot of money. The houses are rentals so they make him money every month. But like all real estate it’s about location and timing.

Geezer in NH
10-03-2018, 04:45 PM
No Kings rent on junk Silver, Yet.

JoeJames
10-03-2018, 05:15 PM
Must be careful and buy from reputable source. China has dumped a lot of fake silver coins in the US. Some found a while back at several dealers in the area.I learned that a couple of months ago. A buddy collects Morgan silver dollars, and took some down to Little Rock to a reputable coin shop to be sent off to be evaluated/graded. Turned out several were fake, and the owner told him there was no need to pay to send those off. I had no idea the Chinese were faking Morgan dollars.

Handloader109
10-03-2018, 08:58 PM
I'd not be surprised if a lot of silver bullion isnt fake. Same as coins. Silver hasn't gone up in a decade, gold is flat over past 3 to 4 years if not longer. Put your money where it actually will make you some more. Unless you just like holding the metal.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

fatelk
10-03-2018, 10:53 PM
Interesting about the fakes. I didn't realize it was that big of a problem. I have a little silver myself, not enough to worry about really, and it was all purchased between 20 and 30 years ago. I suppose being that old would mean it's unlikely to be fake, but maybe I'll dig them out and check just to see.

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-04-2018, 10:45 AM
I learned that a couple of months ago. A buddy collects Morgan silver dollars, and took some down to Little Rock to a reputable coin shop to be sent off to be evaluated/graded. Turned out several were fake, and the owner told him there was no need to pay to send those off. I had no idea the Chinese were faking Morgan dollars.

I had heard rumors about this,but never researched it much.
A quick google search showed me that I can Buy near perfect fake Morgans on AliExpress ...Steel or Copper fakes for a buck or two.

This video is interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvhOkUG_igw

snowwolfe
10-04-2018, 01:52 PM
"Fake" is the main reason why I stick with brand name bars with the same label as the company selling them. I buy all of mine from APMEX. They keep a record of everything I buy and will buy it back at anytime. So if they sell a fake (highly unlikely) they get a fake back.

Down South
10-05-2018, 05:26 PM
I have land so time to branch out.
It was nice to see you several weeks ago Charles. Thanks again for the 270 dies. It sounds like you are still in the recovery mode.
I made my final move from Houston back to home last Friday.

If I ever get over that way again, I'll drop by.

Back to topic, I might invest in some silver myself.

Sam Casey
10-05-2018, 07:06 PM
Have not compared the #'s, but stock has gone significantly down for 2 days now. Where do you guys buy your silver? What do you do with it? Stack it up in basement? How do you turn it back to today's dollars if you need to use it? Commissions on both ends?

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-05-2018, 07:27 PM
Have not compared the #'s, but stock has gone significantly down for 2 days now. Where do you guys buy your silver? What do you do with it? Stack it up in basement? How do you turn it back to today's dollars if you need to use it? Commissions on both ends?
I can answer some of your questions, in regards to myself.
See the OP for price as of Oct. 1
>Today (close of Oct 5) is $14.63
>I buy from various vendors (large ones with excellent feedback) on ebay.
>I store them in a secure location in my house.
>Selling coins...There is a pawn shop/coin dealer local to me, who is honest and pays spot price for silver US coins.

Commissions...
I buy Walker half dollars and Mercury Dimes...Buying them is like buying anything else, look for the best price, and yeah, they usually command a premium. The day I started this thread, I bought a Roll of Walker half Dollars for $121. That is about 7.2 oz of silver, which translates to $16.80 per oz, which is $2.17 over today's spot price.

beechbum444
10-06-2018, 10:40 AM
I don't live in California, but new law states that new construction must used solar panels , silver is used in making them , supposedly not enough silver to support forecasted new construction i.e... low supply and high demand = rising price of silver.....

Sam Casey
10-07-2018, 06:26 PM
Looking at Morgan dollars F/S on one site, prices range from mid-teens to over $100 for one coin. There is apparently a big difference between silver buyer and silver coin collector. Do the silver metal buyers buy the junk coins with holes punched in them or ???

454 shooter
10-07-2018, 07:59 PM
Every time that silver goes down I think about buying. I am certainly not the smartest guy around, but I know that you cannot make a profit unless you sell. I am not good at selling my stuff.
Based on the past year, silver price has changed 23%. with a 3-5% premium for both buying and selling that would yield a profit of 15% if you time it right.
From Nov 2009 ($10 / oz) to Apr 2011 ($48+/oz), again if you time it right, an almost five fold increase could have been realized. Hindsight is almost always 20 20.

Now my thoughts on silver is this, knowing me, if I could buy the silver and make something with it, trinkets, fancy novelty or such, then I could command a premium; If I could find the right buyer. First of all, I am not a silver smith, I can't melt and pour silver. I don't have the name as an established foundry. I am not a jeweler.

What I do have is a gutter machine. I can buy rolls of aluminum, (that is not shiny and hard for me to part with), run it through my gutter machine(easy enough) climb a ladder and install the gutter on a house. That is the best way for me to invest in metals er I mean inventory to realize a profit. For a typical days work with my gutter machine I can make three to four times the material invested.

I know that this plan is not for everyone, but it seams to work for me.