PDA

View Full Version : John 1;1-14

Boaz
09-30-2018, 06:51 PM
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 The same was in the beginning with God.
3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.
7 The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.
8 He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.
9 That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.
10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.
11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.
12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

What does this mean ?

rl69
10-01-2018, 06:52 AM
Jeues is God God is love

Hickok
10-01-2018, 08:20 AM
Love the book of John. My favorite of the synoptic gospels.

This takes us back to the book of Genesis, and gives us more information about "In the beginning God created..."

Pine Baron
10-01-2018, 09:08 AM
My take, this ties the "old" testament into the "new" testament.

Blackwater
10-01-2018, 02:59 PM
Actually, I think it has many meanings, but chief and primary among them, is that we are the PRODUCT of God's will, and thus, are subordinate and subservient to Him and His wishes, lest we run afoul of his good graces, and be consumed by evil and forever lost and destroyed.

It also means that God's love is so huge, it's beyond our simple human understanding. We simply don't have the brain capacity to really "get" just how much God truly loves us, and how much He wants us to prosper and multiply. We just don't have the brain capacity to really understand just exactly who and what God really is, or how dearly and deeply He loves. We are torn between our own wills, and His, and many are "owned" by their own wills, and give no homage whatsoever to their maker and greatest source of Love and Honor and Respect. Thus, they live out their lives, going first one way and then another, always seeking more "joy" with a little "j", and missing completely the Joy with the capital J.

In this scripture, we can see many things, depending on our perspective and questions of the moment, but all put us in the right perspective to appreciate just how tenuous our existence really is. From science, we can learn that what got us here is a seemingly unending string of miraculous "coincidences" that could not possibly be due to mere chance. First off, at the Big Bang, condensation of all physical things had to be at EXACTLY the right moment, and the right temperature, in order for our universe to have ever formed at all. Subsequent to that, we had to have just the right size planet, at just the right place in our galaxy, and that orbited just the right size and temperature star, and just the right distance from that star, for life to have ever developed at all. And that's not even the tip of the ice berg of all the "coincidences" that had to take place for us to live and breathe on this planet today.

More and more, science supplements and proves out all the things in the Bible. Do you not understand how Christ could have gone through a locked door in the upper room after the Crucifixion, where the disciples were hiding in fear? Look into quantum physics, and it provides a very rational explanation of how that could literally be true. Yes, it's "supernatural" for that to be done, but even so, we DO have a very good explanation as to HOW it could be. All we lack is what caused it. But if God's will can create all that we now call this universe, is it so hard to find it credible that God could do such a small wonder?

God is MUCH more than what we traditionally give Him credit for being. He is MUCH more powerful, more omniscient, and more loving than I believe we have the wherewithall to understand or fully comprehend. What a wondrous God we serve! How mighty is his love and devotion to us, even when we err, and become recalcitrant and irrascible in our attitudes and behavior! How great is His love, and endurance! We owe Him everything we are, we have been, or ever could be. And we have so very little time to think about or talk with Him, because we "have to make a living," and all the other excuses we offer for our lackings.

But we CAN do better, if we just stop for a moment, and reflect on just what all He has really done for US. Do we not owe Him more than we give him at present? Could we EVER not owe Him more than we give to Him? Every time I think of my Lord and my God, I am so ashamed it's taken me so long to get to know Him the way I do today. How could I have been so dull and slow??? And yet, through it all, I know He loved me more than I could possibly conceive. My friends, if that's not humbling and enlightening, what could ever possibly be????