PDA

View Full Version : Finally got it figured out.

vrh
09-30-2018, 10:55 AM
As you may remember I posted a problem with my new CVA Mountain rifle. The hammer was not clearing the nipple ( nipple not centered in the hammer cup.)
I know that you are not to try to remove the bolster from the barrel....but I tried this. Needing only to move the nipple back aprox1/16 inch. I placed the barrel in my bench vise and used a pair of vise grips to slightly turn it back.
Put the barrel back in the stock and now the barrel lines up perfectly. Went ahead and installed a new nipple.
Also found out something interesting. Different manufactors making the same nipple for a particular rifle are not the same overall length. quite a bit of difference in some.228073

indian joe
10-01-2018, 06:31 PM
As you may remember I posted a problem with my new CVA Mountain rifle. The hammer was not clearing the nipple ( nipple not centered in the hammer cup.)
I know that you are not to try to remove the bolster from the barrel....but I tried this. Needing only to move the nipple back aprox1/16 inch. I placed the barrel in my bench vise and used a pair of vise grips to slightly turn it back.
Put the barrel back in the stock and now the barrel lines up perfectly. Went ahead and installed a new nipple.
Also found out something interesting. Different manufactors making the same nipple for a particular rifle are not the same overall length. quite a bit of difference in some.228073

Dumb ole Aussie posted this to ya at the time - looks like I didnt yell loud enough:bigsmyl2:

three things to look at before you apply the oxy torch (my instinct and a lot of time with CVA's is yelling at me something simple is wrong here)
1) first do you have a rifle length nipple fitted ?
2) alignment of the nipple drum to the hammer strike - nipple should be pointing directly at the hammer face when its down - can turn the nipple drum on a CVA slightly using a diesel injector spanner with the nipple screwed in place
3) back side of the hammer is cut away so there is a ledge that engages top of the lock plate to stop forward travel (strike length) of the hammer - when the hammer is fully down is it engaged there ? maybe can take a sliver off to get engagement of the nipple ? ..........but still saying something simple is wrong!

lock not fouled up inside somehow and stopping in the half cock notch ? CVA's are prone to that (bending the sear nose and jamming) .... new kit but it would only take some kid cocking and firing the lock a few times with the fly not engaging (no oil!) to kill it .....................if that the problem I posted a fix for CVA locks with this problem --can direct ya there.

mazo kid
10-02-2018, 02:51 PM
Good advice, I am not in favor of shooting with a loose nipple! Try to find one a bit longer if that is all that is needed. Or...look for a different hammer. Dixie sells both.