PDA

View Full Version : Game Changer

Beau Cassidy
09-29-2018, 10:08 PM
This is the first time we have documented hogs on the farm. I have recently heard of somebody seeing one in the area but discounted it since it was second hand info. My response to that is is you have one hog you have a lot of hogs. Instead of going out with my 4 inch 329 or 629 and pedestrian loads it will be a sig .308 AR or my 5 1/2 inch 629 with full house NOE HP rounds. I hear HP don't penetrate but am willing to take a chance...Trust me....https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180930/f2a5ee2d1b0c193b9e783b08ab0a3879.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180930/af38ee11371feaf6ce3e50cd221ac9dd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Mr_Sheesh
09-30-2018, 03:09 AM
I like the thought of 308 more than 44, personally - I know I'm a better shot with a rifle, at longer distances. But pistol as backup should do it; None of those here in WA state currently, but I know the shoulders on those things are TOUGH, you might NEED non HPs from what I have heard.

jcren
09-30-2018, 11:12 AM
Once the sobs move in, you got em for life. They aren't actually as tough as you hear, old big boars can have a heavy shield over their shoulders from fighting, but sows and smaller pigs aren't bullet proof. Have killed several including a near 200 pound young boar with a hi-point carbine in 45acp. Heart and lungs are several inches further forward in the shoulder than a deer, probably why most folks think they are bullet-proof, they can run a long way liver shot. Neck shots, basically anywhere along a line from the ear to the center of the shoulder, with anything bigger than a .22 will drop em like a rock.

Texas by God
09-30-2018, 12:11 PM
Sorry to hear it. Shoot them with whatever you've got. If you get into a sounder of them you may get off more shots with an AR15 or Mini than an AR10. They are not bulletproof. Life was better when pigs were on the farm in pens. I clenched while cutting hay when I crossed a hog rooted area and my expensive equiptment crashes about!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

DonMountain
09-30-2018, 02:56 PM
When you shoot one hog, you almost immediately get four more. If you shoot two hogs you get eight more. Here in Missouri they outlawed the practice of shooting one or two hogs because of the problem it creates with all of the "replacement" hogs they generate. Now they set traps to catch the entire group and get rid of a whole bunch at one time. And keep setting the traps until they don't get any hogs. Then they will be gone for awhile. You don't need a rifle. You need a large trap and then a 22 to kill them at close range.

Thundarstick
09-30-2018, 08:24 PM
I have a very strong suspicion that hogs are being brought into places BECAUSE some want to have them to hunt! Even on here hog hunting is made out to be almost a spiritual experience!

Texas by God
09-30-2018, 09:36 PM
If I could pattern them on my place I'd guide some of those spiritual hunts[emoji16]. You risk being asked to leave some places if you DON'T shoot at every pig you see. Release of pigs in the wild might be a lynching offense down here....

danmat
09-30-2018, 09:44 PM
When you shoot one hog, you almost immediately get four more. If you shoot two hogs you get eight more. Here in Missouri they outlawed the practice of shooting one or two hogs because of the problem it creates with all of the "replacement" hogs they generate. Now they set traps to catch the entire group and get rid of a whole bunch at one time. And keep setting the traps until they don't get any hogs. Then they will be gone for awhile. You don't need a rifle. You need a large trap and then a 22 to kill them at close range.

Huh? Shoot every one you see, trap them, shoot them from helicopters, you still are not getting rid of them, one they are established all you can do is tread water. Personaly I enjoy shooting them, great sausage, grind them into hamburger, I always have a freezer full. I have heard the old story about their too big, no good to eat, the truth is most are just to lazy to clean the stinkin things. These game depts. that outlaw hunting them don't have a clue.

Johnch
09-30-2018, 09:50 PM
I have shot 6 wild pigs a few years back and 2 this year a few weeks back
I used the 44 Mag Redhawlk with 300 gr Lee bullets hard cast bullets for the ones a few years back
Not full power loads , about 1/2 way from starting load to Max
This year I use the BFR in 45/70 , a 400 gr hard cast bullet at 1200 fps

Non were big boars , 1 was a boar about the same size as the sows
All of them I shot in the front shoulder and the bullets exited

The land owner of the place I shot them at uses a AR 15 and 55 gr FMJ bullet and head shoots them

Hate what they do to the woods
But after I shoot one , I sure like to eat them LOL

John

EMC45
09-30-2018, 10:05 PM
Kill. Them. All.

MT Gianni
10-01-2018, 12:58 PM

This philosophy doesn't work with mice rats or muskrats. Yes animals finding suitable territory will continue to move into it. I agree that once you start eliminating them you don't stop with one or two.

BrentD
10-02-2018, 04:31 PM
I have a very strong suspicion that hogs are being brought into places BECAUSE some want to have them to hunt! Even on here hog hunting is made out to be almost a spiritual experience!

yup and yup.

zymguy
10-02-2018, 04:47 PM
There is an abundance of grey wolves in my neighborhood , you'd be welcome to take a bunch by most locals . I think the michigan govt actually did bring some from here to isle royal. How far north is the pig problem?

megasupermagnum
10-02-2018, 06:52 PM
There is an abundance of grey wolves in my neighborhood , you'd be welcome to take a bunch by most locals . I think the michigan govt actually did bring some from here to isle royal. How far north is the pig problem?

We are well in the clear zymguy. I've heard some rumors of pigs in southern Iowa, but it sounds like they either get killed off, or can't make it through the winter. I was living in Staples back when wolf hunting was allowed. I used to see them all the time when I worked on a farm, but somehow never came out when I had my rifle. Now you can't even kill them if your pets are threatened. It doesn't sound like the farmers are too happy, and Staples is about dead center of the state. I can only imagine it's much worse in Ely.

BrentD
10-02-2018, 06:58 PM
I have heard of pigs in Western Iowa. I don't think the weather is a major factor. They live in Russia and northern Europe.

When I lived up in the Ely area, wolves were always around but never a problem as far as I was concerned.

zymguy
10-02-2018, 07:01 PM
We are well in the clear zymguy. I've heard some rumors of pigs in southern Iowa, but it sounds like they either get killed off, or can't make it through the winter. I was living in Staples back when wolf hunting was allowed. I used to see them all the time when I worked on a farm, but somehow never came out when I had my rifle. Now you can't even kill them if your pets are threatened. It doesn't sound like the farmers are too happy, and Staples is about dead center of the state. I can only imagine it's much worse in Ely.

just wondering how far i had to drive, I've thought about a shooting, which is not to be confused with hunting, type vacation. I would want to keep some meat but hogs sound more shooting than hunting so maybe should be added to my list of possibilities. Ill go resurrect my own thread and stop drifting this one

my issue with the wolves is the harm their over-population (my speculation and certainly debatable) has done to moose

mjac
10-05-2018, 01:43 PM
If you some help eradicating them, let me know. I'll drive over when deer season ends.

RED BEAR
10-05-2018, 03:21 PM
kill them all big and small. they are not a native species anywhere very harmful and dangerous animals. personally i would go with the 308 and something along the lines of a 300 grain slug for the 44.

TCLouis
10-05-2018, 03:34 PM
We had some move into the area (southeast of Nashvegas) some years ago and I will have to say, they can tear up some woods.
Looks like it was rototilled when they get to rooting.
Saw them twice in the yard and both times had some place work related I had to be and so did not shoot.
Interesting to look at the confirmation, because even though they were about the same size, some looked like barnyard pigs and some like wild boar.
Trapping over several years got them exterminated.

DonMountain
10-06-2018, 10:35 AM
Here is the Missouri Department of Conservation's web page about the problems with feral hogs here in Missouri, and what they require or recommend: https://mdc.mo.gov/wildlife/nuisance-problem-species/invasive-species/feral-hogs-missouri
I agree with everyone's input here as I went through the same kinds of ideas and actions when the hogs first started to become a problem in the 1990's. It was exciting to just go shoot stuff to get rid of them with my 45-70 and AR-15 rifle. But then the problem got way worse and another method of eradicating them became apparent.

DonMountain
10-06-2018, 10:47 AM
Huh? Shoot every one you see, trap them, shoot them from helicopters, you still are not getting rid of them, one they are established all you can do is tread water. Personaly I enjoy shooting them, great sausage, grind them into hamburger, I always have a freezer full. I have heard the old story about their too big, no good to eat, the truth is most are just to lazy to clean the stinkin things. These game depts. that outlaw hunting them don't have a clue.

I agree with these statements also. What you need is a very aggressive State Game Department along with aggressive landowners to eradicate the problem of hogs. Me going on a safari a couple of times a year with my AR-15 is not an organized removal of all of these pests.

dverna
10-06-2018, 12:54 PM
Here is the Missouri Department of Conservation's web page about the problems with feral hogs here in Missouri, and what they require or recommend: https://mdc.mo.gov/wildlife/nuisance-problem-species/invasive-species/feral-hogs-missouri
I agree with everyone's input here as I went through the same kinds of ideas and actions when the hogs first started to become a problem in the 1990's. It was exciting to just go shoot stuff to get rid of them with my 45-70 and AR-15 rifle. But then the problem got way worse and another method of eradicating them became apparent.

Read the link. This old man is not climbing trees if he has a gun.

DonMountain
10-06-2018, 02:33 PM
Read the link. This old man is not climbing trees if he has a gun.

Well, just stop oinking and grunting and instead holler and wave your arms. That works for chasing deer out of the soy beans too.

slownsteady22
10-06-2018, 03:27 PM
I seen the change in the mo. regulations. I have not seen any wild hogs yet but i have a suspicion that they are coming.

luvtn
10-08-2018, 10:26 AM
We had some move into the area (southeast of Nashvegas) some years ago and I will have to say, they can tear up some woods.
Looks like it was rototilled when they get to rooting.
Saw them twice in the yard and both times had some place work related I had to be and so did not shoot.
Interesting to look at the confirmation, because even though they were about the same size, some looked like barnyard pigs and some like wild boar.
Trapping over several years got them exterminated.

I hate to burst your bubble, but there are wild hogs on 96 between Murfreesboro and Hwy 70.
Luvtn

10-08-2018, 11:09 AM
i'm very sure there is no pig issues here in Maryland. however, one of my friends did kill a wild hog in western Maryland while deer hunting. I've never heard of any other encounter.

popper
10-08-2018, 11:38 AM
If you can get a good shot, rifle, else anything will work. My first was with a 40 short and weak - worked fine but they still run a ways. Front shoulder is a good shot even when running - body doesn't move much even when legs are. Behind the ears is good too but it does bounce when running. Gut shots don't work. If you leave them they are buzzard & coyote & pig bait. They are worse than rabbits and have a large roaming range. Look for tracks on the road and ditches - easy to get from farm to farm.

Texas by God
10-08-2018, 03:45 PM
Pig hunting was never about sport here. Shooting nuisance animals is what it is. I carry a rifle in both pickups at all times for chance encounters with them.
It may sound cruel (and is) but I don't care if I just wound them and they die elswhere. Invasive species- Salvinia, Cattle Egrets, Zebra Mussels, fire ants, feral hogs& cats.
We're all gonna die[emoji16]

popper
10-08-2018, 04:36 PM
Cattle Egrets - uh, last I knew, they are protected in Tx.

megasupermagnum
10-08-2018, 07:31 PM
Cattle Egrets - uh, last I knew, they are protected in Tx.

I'm guessing that's not a list of things he shoots. Salvinia is a plant, and I'd like to see somebody try and shoot a fire ant with a rifle. That would make some good youtube.

popper
10-08-2018, 09:41 PM
Cattlemen like them as they clean the bugs off cattle. We don't like them as they are messy and fly in flocks of hundreds - scare the dove away & are hard on aircraft. His list is pests for sure, I just noted if you shoot egret and get caught, big fine.

Texas by God
10-08-2018, 11:20 PM
Oh no, I don't shoot them. Their rookeries are a serious health hazard with Histoplasmosis and trying to scare them off rarely works. They do love to eat the insects that grazing cattle stir up. Speaking of fines, a few years back a County Attorney killed a big rattler in his yard in town. He posted it on Facebook and the game warden "liked it". Yep, Velvet tails(Eastern Timber Rattlesnake) are protected. Big fine like Topper said!

TheGrimReaper
10-10-2018, 09:46 AM
So....you are around Nashville? I know of 1 being seen down here in Lincoln County.

TheGrimReaper
10-10-2018, 09:52 AM
Pig hunting was never about sport here. Shooting nuisance animals is what it is. I carry a rifle in both pickups at all times for chance encounters with them.
It may sound cruel (and is) but I don't care if I just wound them and they die elswhere. Invasive species- Salvinia, Cattle Egrets, Zebra Mussels, fire ants, feral hogs& cats.
We're all gonna die[emoji16]

and Starlings, and Armadillos.

popper
10-10-2018, 10:08 AM
Starlings, and Armadillos. And grackles. IIRC they are fair game but the armadillos usually are road kill.

DonMountain
10-10-2018, 02:11 PM
Starlings, and Armadillos. And grackles. IIRC they are fair game but the armadillos usually are road kill.

Same here in Mid-Missouri with those Armadillos. My wife hates them and the damage they do to all of her gardens around the house. See lots of them on the roads dead, but the only time I have seen them out walking around is when I am deer hunting and out they pop walking along the field edge early in the morning on opening day for deer. And the decision always goes, should I shoot the Armadillo or wait for a deer? Because I know I can't do both.

RED BEAR
10-14-2018, 10:41 PM
i don't think i would try waving my arms and yelling unless i had a good size gun on my hip. they are very aggressive and dangerous. had one put me up a tree once back when i was a lot younger and could actually get up a tree.

St. Hogustine
10-15-2018, 08:59 AM
A quick post on the declining state of mandom...

My great-grandfather and grandfather's weapon of choice for hogs- ball peen hammer. When they charge you, they will lower their heads just before they make contact with you. A good knock to the head will outright kill them, stun them (finish them with your knife), or at least turn them aside.

My father's weapon of choice for hogs- .22 rifle (usually LR). You should see some of my father's hog skulls with that little hole between the eyes. You should also hear some of his stories about hogs who just shook their heads after being shot.

My weapon of choice for hogs- Ruger .44 carbine, the "newer" model with an extra clip or two handy. Low recoil, and plenty of punch. No problem getting off several accurate shots in short order. A lever action .44 or .357 is another highly recommended choice.

ulav8r
10-16-2018, 01:16 PM
Building supply rep came out a couple months ago. He had pictures of his hog trap. One with several hogs, a couple of black bear he said weighed about 400 lbs ea. To release the bears he used the bucket on his front end loader to raise the gate.

Game & Fish recommended diesel soaked corn to bait the trap. As far as he could tell, only crows avoided that corn. Besides hogs and bear, he has caught coons, possums, and turkeys. Only hogs can be legally harvested from the trap. They are legal to kill at any time by "any method" on private land by the landowner or anyone that has the landowner's permission. The only limitations are on WMA's where they can only be hunted during regular hunting seasons.

TCLouis
10-17-2018, 11:50 PM
luvtn

Locals (7 miles east of Thompson's Station are GONE).

There used to be some over south and east of Arrington ( Hwy 96 and 41A) that were in the area for years.

With the golf courses and all the MacMansions being built over that way I'm guessing they will HIRE eradication folks if the pigs become a problem.

Hwy 96 and 70 are a LONG way from here.
I wonder where those pigs are located that Beau Cassidy originally posted about?

jaysouth
10-19-2018, 09:46 PM
My hog hunting buddy and I have booked a two nighter with hogswat.com next week. Hopefully we can used borrowed night vision scopes to reduce the Georgia hog population some.

I don't think hogs take that much killing. Two years ago I killed one that went 506 lbs with a 165 RD cast bullet at 1800 in a .308. Two shots and he was history. Meat was kinda tough.

10x
10-23-2018, 07:43 AM
Kill. Them. All.

They don't make enough bullets to kill them all.

6mm win lee
11-02-2018, 11:42 PM
I like how these guys go at hogs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ9CL8WWNew

https://www.youtube.com/user/JAGERPRO/videos

Italia1825
11-10-2018, 09:08 PM
That’s a problem you don’t want to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danmat
11-15-2018, 01:27 PM
230408265 and 285 lbs. Great eating size

BrentD
11-15-2018, 01:29 PM
danmat,
Where at?

danmat
11-15-2018, 01:32 PM
Central east tx. Trapped a bunch little ones these bigger ones avoid the traps

BrentD
11-15-2018, 01:35 PM
They look tasty. Do they taste like domestic pigs? I have had javelina but not wild hogs.

missionary5155
11-15-2018, 01:41 PM
Good morning
Congratulations !! Those are the best looking posed pigs I have seen for a while.

danmat
11-15-2018, 01:43 PM
Where we hunt is all white oak, feeding on acorns and our corn feeders last 2 months about an inch of fat under the hide. Just chicken fried a back strap with potatoes and onions gravy fried eggs here at work 8 guys raving how good the meat was.
Real similar to domestic hogs just no fat in the meat leaner.

Omega
11-15-2018, 02:03 PM
This is the first time we have documented hogs on the farm. I have recently heard of somebody seeing one in the area but discounted it since it was second hand info. My response to that is is you have one hog you have a lot of hogs. Instead of going out with my 4 inch 329 or 629 and pedestrian loads it will be a sig .308 AR or my 5 1/2 inch 629 with full house NOE HP rounds. I hear HP don't penetrate but am willing to take a chance...Trust me....https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180930/f2a5ee2d1b0c193b9e783b08ab0a3879.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180930/af38ee11371feaf6ce3e50cd221ac9dd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Where bouts was this, Davidson County? We have supposedly had them here in the Ft Campbell area for years, but I personally never seen one, yet. A local hunter also says he has a place to hunt them but he would not divulge the info, presumably because there are either so few or its a small area.

danmat
11-15-2018, 02:34 PM
Good morning
Congratulations !! Those are the best looking posed pigs I have seen for a while.
Thanks you talking about the Inside 2 or outside 2 lol. My son and I.