PDA

View Full Version : Missing safety on M1917 enfield

asmith80
09-29-2018, 02:14 PM
I just picked up a sportered 1917 Enfield for next to nothing. I had an idea of turning it into a scout rifle since the barrel was already cut down to 18 inches.

I checked it over pretty well before buying it and noticed the safety was missing, but at the time I thought I could just buy some replacement parts and be back in business. Once I got home I noticed that whoever sportered it had removed the safety by grinding on the receiver until the whole thing was gone. Needless to say I don't think getting some parts from Sarco are going to fix this.

https://preview.ibb.co/gMsWzK/IMG_20180929_140616160.jpg (https://ibb.co/bCE0te)

I'm not willing to take this into the woods hunting without a safety, but I don't want to abandon the project. Anybody have any ideas on how to get some kind of safety on here?

Preacher Jim
09-29-2018, 02:47 PM
My solution would be find a replacement trigger with side safety built to trigger. I did not check available suppliers for such I do know Dayton traisler made a safety for these have one on mine with cock on opening kit.

asmith80
09-29-2018, 04:19 PM
Do you know if that was the Mark II? That seems to be the only model that I can find from Dayton Traisler

Preacher Jim
09-29-2018, 04:41 PM
I will check grandson has it right now. But I am sure it was.

fjruple
09-29-2018, 06:50 PM
I don't think replacement parts is going to help you out on this one. Someone ground the whole safety housing down which held in the safety, the safety spring and plunger and safety block. It would be a major project to replace it back to original. I would be looking for new trigger with the safety built in. Weld up the remaining hole to make the receiver a bit more easy on the eyes.

leebuilder
09-29-2018, 08:18 PM
As above. You will.have to find an aftermarket trigger and safety assembly. Your breech has been bubbaed in such a way the original parts won't work.
Good luck

Texas by God
09-29-2018, 10:28 PM
Did bubba do the same precise work removing the rear sight? Please say no.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Dan Cash
09-29-2018, 10:48 PM
Research a cocking piece safety.

asmith80
09-30-2018, 08:28 AM
The rear sight was removed, not sure if the same person did it. It looks fairly flat, but I have an extra Williams peep sight I was going to put on there, so it's not that big a concern.

I did come across the cocking piece safety, but they are no longer being made. Sounds like they were pretty expensive when they were made, too. It would've been a great solution, unfortunately

I emailed Dayton Traister and they said they don't have any models of their trigger with a built in safety. Timney only has one model that fits the P17, but it doesn't have a built in safety either.

Back to the drawing board

Texas by God
09-30-2018, 11:07 AM
You can fashion a trigger blocking safety on the trigger guard. Or install the normal parts and see what you need to make it work from there. Good luck on this; keep us posted.

flounderman
09-30-2018, 11:49 AM
check the Bold triggers.

asmith80
09-30-2018, 12:22 PM
As near as I can tell, the Bold triggers are all discontinued. Which is a shame because I have one on a K98 and I really like it

2152hq
09-30-2018, 06:29 PM
Ed Lapour offers or at least he used to,,a cocking piece safety (Winchester M70 style) for the 17Enfield and Remington Model 30.
Pricey,,but they are out there.

firebyprolong
10-01-2018, 12:15 AM
Please don't crucify me for this, every ones mileage may vary on this point. I don't use a safety much on a 1917 nor any cock on close action. It's always been far simpler for me to just not close the bolt until I'm ready to take a shot. It's a lot quicker and quieter to just apply a quick slap of forward and down pressure and close the bolt. By all means try to find a workable safety solution but until you do ( if yours is still a cock on close) an open action negates the need for one.

As to the getting a working safety with the original ground away, I'll look around, I think I have an article somewhere about a shop made safety from the 50s for 1917. If I can find it I'll send you a copy.

asmith80
10-01-2018, 06:38 AM
I'd appreciate that, thanks.