PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Breech Plug Failure - The Lyman Recall Is No Joke

arcticap
09-29-2018, 01:19 PM
Someone bought a new Lyman Trade rifle from Bud's last week.
Yesterday, on the 2nd outing with the gun, the breech plug broke off from the barrel.
Bud's Guns said they didn't know about the Lyman recall.
The recall is serious and the word should be spread before someone gets injured.

Lyman recall notice--->>> https://www.lymanproducts.com/recall/

Original thread:--->>> https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/lyman-rifle-failure.841810/

Omega
09-29-2018, 01:47 PM
Hope nobody was hurt. I take all recalls seriously, even if I've never had an issue with the recalled firearm I send them in.

Smoke4320
09-29-2018, 02:02 PM
That could have been a world of hurt for someone..
Thanks for spreading the word

charlie b
09-29-2018, 09:57 PM
The recall was noted in here a while ago.

I wonder what notification method is required for recalls. I know my old LHS had a bulletin board with recall notices on it. Haven't been in there since the Lyman was issued.

If Bud's was sent a recall notice and still sold a rifle covered by the recall they could get in serious trouble.

Omega
09-29-2018, 10:16 PM
The recall was noted in here a while ago.

I wonder what notification method is required for recalls. I know my old LHS had a bulletin board with recall notices on it. Haven't been in there since the Lyman was issued.

If Bud's was sent a recall notice and still sold a rifle covered by the recall they could get in serious trouble.Seems they should have checked the SN to make sure before selling it.

john.k
09-30-2018, 06:21 PM
I would say that if the broken plug is any indication ,the whole gun is unsafe..........the plug break looks very,very like cast iron.........plain grey cast iron,stove iron....

rfd
09-30-2018, 06:44 PM
"Barrels with the serial number in the range of A595960 to A599026 are subject to this recall."

mazo kid
10-02-2018, 02:57 PM
I would say that if the broken plug is any indication ,the whole gun is unsafe..........the plug break looks very,very like cast iron.........plain grey cast iron,stove iron....

Possibly cast steel? Rather than forged or machined.

reivertom
10-02-2018, 10:42 PM
Bad batch of breech plugs. Turns a ML rifle into a pipe bomb.

bedbugbilly
10-02-2018, 10:47 PM
I had heard about this - had a LGPR that was pre-recall and recently sold it.

I'm curious - anybody here have one of the re-call rifles and was it taken care of for you by Lyman? If so, just what did they do to "take care of it"? Obviously faulty breech plugs and I would think they would be all over this to prevent liability. I'm guessing you either send in the whole rifle or at minimum, the barrel. Are they replacing the barrels as well? Hopefully no one gets injured with these

Buzzard II
10-03-2018, 02:30 PM
"barrels with the serial number in the range of a595960 to a599026 are subject to this recall."

when all else fails, read the instructions!

triggerhappy243
10-03-2018, 04:42 PM
someone failed to return the product registration card.

sghart3578
10-03-2018, 10:54 PM
I had heard about this - had a LGPR that was pre-recall and recently sold it.

I'm curious - anybody here have one of the re-call rifles and was it taken care of for you by Lyman? If so, just what did they do to "take care of it"? Obviously faulty breech plugs and I would think they would be all over this to prevent liability. I'm guessing you either send in the whole rifle or at minimum, the barrel. Are they replacing the barrels as well? Hopefully no one gets injured with these

If you have one of the affected rifles, like I did, contact Lyman via email. They will send you a shipping tube with packing material, etc. to return just the barrel. They ask that you remove the sights, pack up the barrel and send it back.

In a few weeks I received a new barrel with new sights attached. I re-installed my old sights(I had machined down the front sight considerably), cleaned the bore, set it in the stock and took it to the range.

It has the same zero which was nice.

And as a thank you Lyman sent me a nice bundle of accessories in a nice zippered pouch. Jags, ball puller, etc.

A class act all the way.

BTW mine is a .54 caliber Plains percussion rifle.

Steve in N CA

triggerhappy243
10-03-2018, 11:03 PM
It has the same zero which was nice.

And as a thank you Lyman sent me a nice bundle of accessories in a nice zippered pouch. Jags, ball puller, etc.

A class act all the way.

BTW mine is a .54 caliber Plains percussion rifle.

Steve in N CA[/QUOTE]:2 drunk buddies::2 drunk buddies::2 drunk buddies::2 drunk buddies::2 drunk buddies: