PDA

View Full Version : fudd mentality

lefty o
09-28-2018, 04:30 PM
whats up with the fudd mentality among shooters. almost never see it anywhere else, but shooters, typically as they get older like to insult how others do things if it differs from their way. i see it here on this forum, see it at the gun range. do the blanket insults about anyone who does things differently make the fudds feel good about their narrow minded views? personally , i think it should stop, we as shooters should support each others choices about how we enjoy our sport without having to insult or belittle others. if you have to be a fudd, keep it to yourself!

am44mag
09-28-2018, 04:41 PM
whats up with the fudd mentality among shooters. almost never see it anywhere else, but shooters, typically as they get older like to insult how others do things if it differs from their way. i see it here on this forum, see it at the gun range. do the blanket insults about anyone who does things differently make the fudds feel good about their narrow minded views? personally , i think it should stop, we as shooters should support each others choices about how we enjoy our sport without having to insult or belittle others. if you have to be a fudd, keep it to yourself!

I absolutely agree. That type of mentality is detrimental to our sport, and those responsible should be ashamed of displaying it publicly. Scaring/running off new shooters and young shooters just because they want to do something differently helps no one at all.

The elitist attitude that some shooters display in regards to gun, gear, and powder is also bad for our sport.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Preacher Jim
09-28-2018, 04:51 PM
Lefty we all do things the way we learned, what way is right. The one that you use to create that special load that does what you want.
We can mentor those who ask us to help and pass on the knowledge we have gained. You are right when you say quit criticising and encourage.

Tom W.
09-28-2018, 05:04 PM
But you have to be aware of what is fudd mentality against someone trying to help someone who doesn't really want any help. There's a fine line between being helpful and being a know it all. If someone's break-action single shot rifle opens up after each shot, is it wrong to suggest that his loads may be a bit too much or perhaps his brass really does need trimming? Or do we just collect our stuff and move as far away as possible......

wv109323
09-28-2018, 05:29 PM
If it is a safety issue I think we should speak up. I don't want to see anyone lose his eyesight or fingers over something I see him doing wrong. If it is procedurally or personal difference we should keep our mouth shut.

Tackleberry41
09-28-2018, 06:11 PM
Just way people are, its everything. Guns, cars, music, politics. I was friends with some who worked at a gun shop. You think hey there you go, deals galore. Nope bought all of one gun, and it was a bubba mosin he got screwed on. he gave the guy $250 trade value, I paid $50 cash.

It was his own ignorance. He only likes AR15 anything else is junk so has no knowledge of them. Would think the scope flopping loose was a give away, or the strips of aluminum foil as shims, or that the stock looked like someone sanded it with a hack saw. He asked me since i like 'weird' guns. Fired it, had to beat the bolt open with a chunk of wood, parts gun $50. No his boss sat on it a few months as if anybody with ANY knowledge of Mosins would buy it. Finally would take $50. He could have with 5 min effort sold the timney trigger, the rock solid mount, the bent bolt handle. And it was a Finland made mosin. Beating the bolt open was simply because bubba did not cut the stock where the bolt closed all the way. A stock I had in the garage, some rings from my bag of random ones and it shoots fine.

But I tend to be a little open minded, if it goes bang and bullets come out the end, I will shoot it. So what if its 'weird'. Actually the weirder the better.

Mr_Sheesh
09-28-2018, 06:15 PM
Try the first, if that doesn't work, move away & mention it to the RSO?

lefty o
09-28-2018, 06:30 PM
But you have to be aware of what is fudd mentality against someone trying to help someone who doesn't really want any help. There's a fine line between being helpful and being a know it all. If someone's break-action single shot rifle opens up after each shot, is it wrong to suggest that his loads may be a bit too much or perhaps his brass really does need trimming? Or do we just collect our stuff and move as far away as possible......

absolutely not what im getting at. more along the lines of, you dont reload exactly like i do, so your not a handloader or cant be as accurate, or if someone does some rapid fire at the range (safely), it seems there is always an old guy who isnt even looking that has to comment about what a waste of ammo, or bet he didnt hit anything, etc. in general people making blanket statements about others because they do not do it the same way, and generally the statements are horsedoodie.

ShooterAZ
09-28-2018, 06:33 PM
absolutely not what im getting at. more along the lines of, you dont reload exactly like i do, so your not a handloader or cant be as accurate, or if someone does some rapid fire at the range (safely), it seems there is always an old guy who isnt even looking that has to comment about what a waste of ammo, or bet he didnt hit anything, etc. in general people making blanket statements about others because they do not do it the same way, and generally the statements are horsedoodie.

What do you have against us "old guys"?:kidding:

lefty o
09-28-2018, 06:43 PM
What do you have against us "old guys"?:kidding:

only the old guys who have to criticize others for not doing things exactly as they do, right or wrong. im almost old myself, but ive learned better.

gwpercle
09-28-2018, 06:58 PM
There is always more than one way to skin a squirrel...they all work and my way isn't the only way.
I may be old but I'm tolerant and criticize no one .

ShooterAZ
09-28-2018, 07:03 PM
There is always more than one way to skin a squirrel...they all work and my way isn't the only way.
I may be old but I'm tolerant and criticize no one .

Same here. I'd rather try the helpful approach first. If the situation is still going to be unsafe, I'll just get away from there. It's one reason I go to the boonies instead of our public range...It's a lot safer out there!

Minerat
09-28-2018, 07:05 PM
I usually just stay out of it unless ask. But when some camo clad guy shows up and plays battle rattle with his AR or AK and then complains about my noisy 50AE Desert Eagle I just smile and pick up his brass when he leaves cause its too loud.:bigsmyl2:

nicholst55
09-28-2018, 07:19 PM
I see this frequently when a young(er) guy with an AR-15 shows up at the range. The benchrest shooters turn their noses up, ask him why he needs an AK-47, and resume shooting bughole groups. Same thing when someone with a shotgun that they bought on sale at Wal Mart shows up to a Skeet or Sporting Clays match. The guys with the Kolars and other high-end shotguns turn up their noses at him. Right up until he outshoots them.

You see it at gun clubs that are run by a group of old-timers who don't want any new blood, but complain that the club is dying because all the members keep passing away. They won't let anyone who isn't just like them join, but that can't be the problem!

I've experienced it personally when I was shooting one of my flintlocks at a range. A guy walked up and asked me to move to the other end of the range because the wind was blowing my smoke in his direction. Okay, no biggie. Then he commenced to tell me how inaccurate muzzle loaders are, and asked me if I was even hitting my target. Well yes, actually, this load will print 3 inch groups on a good day, which will consistently put meat in the pot. Well, he only shoots custom high-end bolt guns with German scopes, and they had better group into 1/2" or less! Oh, that's nice. He turned up his nose and walked away. Whatever.

My point is that we need to keep an open mind. People who don't shoot the same type of gun that you do are still shooters and gun owners, and we all need to stick together. The 'other side' loves to see us divided and eating our own - the duck hunters versus the machine gunners mentality.

bikerbeans
09-28-2018, 07:34 PM
No Fudd problems at my club because i only shoot on weekdays early in the morning. I am usually packed up and gone before anyone else arrives. I am mostly deaf so if a Fudd did show up i would just say my hearing aid batteries are dead.

BB

shooterg
09-28-2018, 07:41 PM
All guns are OK - unless it's not a 6.5 Creedmore. And all mustard is OK - unless it's not Gray Poupon ! lol

country gent
09-28-2018, 07:48 PM
I have had the reverse at times with younger shooters spouting off what was doing wasn't right. One memorable one stated the 45-70 and 45-90 were never actually loaded with black powder and doing so was unsafe) I had a Sharps brochardt in 45-70 sitting on the bench and a Hepburn 45-90. He went on to state BP wasn't as consistant ballistically. I left him ramble and nodded, it was a show for his buddies and I didn't need to get into that.

It isn't always the older shooters that are opininated and stubborn.

lefty o
09-28-2018, 07:53 PM
I have had the reverse at times with younger shooters spouting off what was doing wasn't right. One memorable one stated the 45-70 and 45-90 were never actually loaded with black powder and doing so was unsafe) I had a Sharps brochardt in 45-70 sitting on the bench and a Hepburn 45-90. He went on to state BP wasn't as consistant ballistically. I left him ramble and nodded, it was a show for his buddies and I didn't need to get into that.

It isn't always the older shooters that are opininated and stubborn.

no, its not always the old guys.

john.k
09-28-2018, 07:57 PM
A long time since I had a young guy say anything about old guns.....they think they are a waste of time........last memorable incident was a Chinese tourist came up and asked if he could take pictures of my 94 .....Is this a cowboy gun?........yep,sho nuff.........I did have an old guy watching me shooting cast ,after five shots he says.......youd better stop now,or you will never get the lead out of the barrel.....then he says something like the guns going to blow up if the barrel gets blocked.....Then his son comes over and says "Is dad bothering you....hes a bit senile"......No he s OK,hes not bothering me......I could be like that in a few years time.

Shopdog
09-28-2018, 08:16 PM
A declining appreciation for the value of experience

....... devided by.........

A largely tool based activity,when compared with a "skill only" based example.

Above would be the calculation. If I had to look at the problem from a social p.o.v.,

Old guys figured it out themselves, or either with the help of mentors and lots of scratching for printed material.... Young guys,"Google it"... in a,"just add water" methodology.

marlin39a
09-28-2018, 08:23 PM
I guess there are "Fudds", and there are "Whippersnappers". I guess I'm a Fudd. I shoot out in the desert, with invited friends that I trust. I can't stand being in the presence of Whippersnappers.

Tom W.
09-28-2018, 08:25 PM
O.K. lefty o... I see what you are saying. Indeed, those types are just "difficult" at best.....

MaryB
09-28-2018, 10:14 PM
I see this frequently when a young(er) guy with an AR-15 shows up at the range. The benchrest shooters turn their noses up, ask him why he needs an AK-47, and resume shooting bughole groups. Same thing when someone with a shotgun that they bought on sale at Wal Mart shows up to a Skeet or Sporting Clays match. The guys with the Kolars and other high-end shotguns turn up their noses at him. Right up until he outshoots them.

You see it at gun clubs that are run by a group of old-timers who don't want any new blood, but complain that the club is dying because all the members keep passing away. They won't let anyone who isn't just like them join, but that can't be the problem!

I've experienced it personally when I was shooting one of my flintlocks at a range. A guy walked up and asked me to move to the other end of the range because the wind was blowing my smoke in his direction. Okay, no biggie. Then he commenced to tell me how inaccurate muzzle loaders are, and asked me if I was even hitting my target. Well yes, actually, this load will print 3 inch groups on a good day, which will consistently put meat in the pot. Well, he only shoots custom high-end bolt guns with German scopes, and they had better group into 1/2" or less! Oh, that's nice. He turned up his nose and walked away. Whatever.

My point is that we need to keep an open mind. People who don't shoot the same type of gun that you do are still shooters and gun owners, and we all need to stick together. The 'other side' loves to see us divided and eating our own - the duck hunters versus the machine gunners mentality.

I had a precision rifle shooter make a nasty comment about my AR-15 then I setup next to him and when he took a break I put a 6" target down range, I was sighting in and forgot my spotting scope and he refused to let me use his for a minute. 2 shots, moved right an inch, 2 more shots form an AR-15 at 100 yards. Hand loads loaded for max accuracy

https://i.imgur.com/IlNqWdx.jpg

This is shooting 6" targets cold and hot barrel test so I could see how bad the pattern would change. Cheap American Eagle ammo. 100 yards again and rapid fire...

https://i.imgur.com/eMcflA7.jpg

When I brought the first target back he said no way you cheated, those holes were already there...

Custom built by myself for long range accuracy, DEZ arms match grade barrel...

https://i.imgur.com/v4RU7SD.jpg

Hick
09-28-2018, 10:30 PM
Happily it's not always this way. Today at the range I had the opposite situation. I was testing out a couple of new loads (M1 and Henry rifles). Two gentlemen with high powered scoped rifles were there and watching some. I finally got sighted in enough to hit the 3" gongs at 100 yards. They got all enthused about the idea of shooting open sights. When I got up to leave one of them thanked me for the "show" of hitting those gongs and told me I was an "Artist". And no-- I did not confess that many of of the shooters on this forum could have shot smaller groups than that.

Walkingwolf
09-28-2018, 10:35 PM
Fudds, IMO, are more along the lines of how the 2A is perceived. I respect safety nuts, I am probably one myself, but have no use for those that think their area of gun, and shooting are the only thing the 2A protects.

fast ronnie
09-28-2018, 10:46 PM
Just how old are "fudds"?

I will be celebrating turning "29" again for more than the third time on Monday. How much "more than" can be a guestimate on your part, but I still ride a top-fuel dragbike capable of more than 230 in the quarter. The way I see it, age is just a number.

P.S.

Dad said he was 39 and that I had to be younger than him.

lefty o
09-28-2018, 10:47 PM
fudds can truthfully be any age. its a mentality.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-28-2018, 11:02 PM
Fudds, IMO, are more along the lines of how the 2A is perceived. I respect safety nuts, I am probably one myself, but have no use for those that think their area of gun, and shooting are the only thing the 2A protects.
The term Fudd isn't used in my circle of friends, It was probably only a year ago when I first heard of the term. I am still a bit confused, as the urban dictionary and others sources seem to have several definitions for a Fudd. It appears to have nearly as many meanings as the other F-word. Because of that, this thread doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me? ...unless Fudd is just a gun owner that has offended another gun owner?

Mr_Sheesh
09-28-2018, 11:08 PM
I grew up (back in the Pleistocene) when it was "well known" that Bolt Guns were "the" thing for accuracy, well, not so much now. Started as sorta a bolt gun "snob" but first 308 Semi I tried was pretty addictive. Still shoot slow aimed accurate groups mostly, that's just how I like to shoot. Other folks' choices are fine with me, with one caveat; If you're shooting & doing something that'll hurt you or I or others around us, I'll object. That's not FUDD tho, that's keeping the sport alive! No one needs injury.

Mr_Sheesh
09-28-2018, 11:16 PM
I'm not 100% sure of the definition myself but if I was one and walked up to you at the range - Hmmm.

I *think* I'd be telling you that everything you were doing was wrong, your gun wasn't built like the GOOD guns they used to build, you didn't know how to hand load, you were shooting wrong, your painted boolits were SCARY and BAD, in general a cross between someone SO hidebound that they cannot see any thing not done the way they have done it for 40 years as "right" or "ok", and someone who just wants to drag you down so that - by comparison - they feel better. (Sadly I've seen this - the guy who feels bad, until someone gets hurt or gets bad news, then they act like they've just won the lottery...)

Non FUDDs will, if they offer you help and you accept, suggest breathing, gently pulling the trigger back till it's a surprise when the sear breaks, that sort of thing - they're being helpful, not a PAIN :P

Petrol & Powder
09-28-2018, 11:36 PM
I'm not sure if I would classify this as "fudd's" or just a "clique" but I stopped shooting organized trap because the shooters were downright hostile.

They would take my money for a round and then skip over me and put their buddy's on the line. When I pointed that out they would act surprised and claim it was an accident. They would put me in another rotation and then skip over me again.
There were a few key offenders that were very snobbish. I got tried of that and so did everyone else outside the clique.

Walks
09-29-2018, 12:16 AM
I don't get to the RIFLE Range as often as I'd like, too much of a drive for this beat up old man.
I do see folks at the INDOOR range. 95% of the Shooters put their targets out at 21ft and BANG away with 3-4 "black" guns. Using Factory Ammo. Shoot/waste 50+rds per gun, put a nice shotgun pattern on that full size silhouette. Do a happy dance if they happen to luckily put a shot into the "10-ring".

I've actually had these "modern pistolero's" come over to tell me my shooting position is all wrong.
I need to hold the "gun with 2 hands". I'll be more "accurate". They wouldn't know a "Bullseye stance" from a hole in the wall.

I've had unkind comments made about my old dinosaurs , K38 or New Service Target, I do hear comments about my "old Cowboy gun", COLT SAA. I'm the only one that runs my targets all the way out to 25yds.
After I leave, I've seen these same loudmouths dig through the trash to take my BULLSEYE targets with the three to four inch groups that are the best my old arthritic hands and bad eyes will allow.

So I guess I'm a fudd.

When I do get out to the RIFLE Range it's the same thing. I'll shoot 1 or 2 Scoped Military Action Sporters and a Lever Gun or 2.
Maybe my Garand or another stock Military bolt gun.

I'll fire maybe 100 rds or a few more in 3-4 hours.
These smart mouth kids will blow 500rds in an hour, in their black rifles, festooned with every accessory you can buy off the internet.
I just ignore the old man/dinosaur comments.

I've given up any attempt at any sort of "intelligent conversation" As with most young people today, their minds are closed. They have no wish to learn anything that doesn't "jive" with what facebook & you-tube TELLS them.

country gent
09-29-2018, 12:44 AM
One of the best was a gentleman and his friend at the club. They watched as I and my helper unloaded and set up for me to shoot. Set the Hepburn in the cradles of my range box and safety flag in the chamber. finished setting up. Started chronographing some loads. they were really watching me as I did this. THey finally came down and ask what I was doing and if it was safe since the rile was smoking so much and there was something floating around after each shot. I took the time to show them my ammo and explain I was shooting Black powder getting ready for a match. pulled a bullet and shoed them the paper patch on the bullet. Ask my helper how the group looked on the big gong (10" at 200 yds). Marv told me it centered and about 3". We then went hot and I moved to the 6" gong 20 shots 20 dings. and was getting ready to clean again when they came back down and the one told me his 223 only made a tink and the gong barely moved. When I hit it it jumped and swung and rang like a bell. Told him that was the difference between a 550 grn bullet and a 55 grn bullet. I then let them each fire a few rounds with it on the gongs.

They were both smiling when I told them the new rifles have nothing on the 1870s tech.

am44mag
09-29-2018, 12:55 AM
I've given up any attempt at any sort of "intelligent conversation" As with most young people today, their minds are closed. They have no wish to learn anything that doesn't "jive" with what facebook & you-tube TELLS them.

Being a Fudd has nothing to do with the guns, it's the mentality that your way is the only/best way. I don't know how things are in SoCal, but your view would be completely wrong here. My generation isn't deaf or closed minded. They will ignore you if you talk down to them or think poorly of them or what they like though, as will I. Respect is a two way street after all. I have no time for those who are disrespectful or look down on me for my interests or my age. I have spoken to old timers for obscenely long periods of time though because they gave me respect, and I wanted to learn from them. Sometimes they learn a little from me too. That to me is one of the most wonderful parts of our sport. The willingness to teach and learn from each other freely for no other reason than wanting to see others succeed in their endeavors.

Some people like making tiny groups, some like blasting away and just having fun. Who cares as long as you're safe and enjoying yourself? Don't close your mind just because you feel that others have closed theirs. You might just learn something.

Adam_Selene
09-29-2018, 07:53 AM
The term Fudd isn't used in my circle of friends, It was probably only a year ago when I first heard of the term. I am still a bit confused, as the urban dictionary and others sources seem to have several definitions for a Fudd. It appears to have nearly as many meanings as the other F-word. Because of that, this thread doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me? ...unless Fudd is just a gun owner that has offended another gun owner?

I've almost always (with some variations, as you've noted) heard it referring to the types of people described in Walkingwolf's and am44mag's posts below - typically those who have their aspect of shooting (whether its shotgun, hunting, precision rifle, et al) and they not only stick only to that (nothing wrong with sticking with what makes you happy) - they look down on, ostracize, and ultimately look forward to the demise of any other aspect of shooting that doesn't affect them. "I don't know why anybody needs an AR-15", "Why do you need more than a box of ammo?", "Why would you ever shoot past xxx yards?" Are typical statements/question from them, all rhetorical, because they have interest in finding out why anyone WOULD want to shoot past hunting distance - they've found *their* sport, and all others are deemed inferior.

Just my experience - it comes from people who've cemented themselves into a sport, and for most folks that takes time (or occurs over time), so you *tend* to find older, more experienced folks with this mentality... but plenty of people pick something and five minutes later, everything else is garbage. On the same token, there are plenty of folks across all ages who don't follow this pattern.

The danger/frustration is when something affects a particular aspect of shooting (whether its expansion, range improvement, etc) and all of a sudden it gets resistance from other gun owners who are not negatively affected by the decision - an extended rifle range ("well that's dangerous you know... thankfully my shotgun doesn't go that far"), or maintenance of the shotgun facility ("nobody uses it/who cares"), legislation ("why do you need a 30-round magazine to hunt"). But it can occur at a lower level as @MaryB noted, with sneering comments directed at someone who isn't perfectly in line with their sport.

Just one man's view - that's how I've typically seen "fudd"ism defined.

Being a Fudd has nothing to do with the guns, it's the mentality that your way is the only/best way.

bensonwe
09-29-2018, 08:15 AM
Fudds, never heard them called that, but couldn't agree more. I left my club because the Fudds would not let me just shoot my levers in peace. I love to shoot and because my levers shoot 3" or 4" groups and not dime size like theirs I was less.

GhostHawk
09-29-2018, 10:00 AM
Unless asked I try not to ever say anything to anyone else shooting regarding their choice of guns, what caliber, or how they shoot.

There is a free range some 20 miles away that I stopped going to because of young people, mag dumps @ 25 yards or shorter, mud splattered onto optics on the bench, and a general feeling of unsafe.

Never a word said.

I know I prefer single shot rifles over all others, but that is MY choice. I don't have any burning need to inflict my opinion on others, except here. Where it is more like cast out like bread on the waters hoping someone else says something positive or helpful. Or that it may spark a discussion that may prove helpful to someone else down the road.

Yes I am a fudd, but I try hard to be a silent fudd.

I don't think all black rifles are evil, I have a few, just not AR-15's.
Not that I think they are evil, just not for me.

Surprisingly for my experience I have had a few RSO's lately who when they found out I cast all my own bullets were surprisingly supportive and interested.

One even asked to see a target afterwords. And of course I had a very good one to show him.
"You shot this with those single shot rifles and bullets that you cast? And get THIS?"

Yep

Pats me on the back in admiration. Man you have it all put together. Way to go!

Those don't happen often.

Four-Sixty
09-29-2018, 10:03 AM
I think it is declining testosterone that just comes with age.

robg
09-29-2018, 10:06 AM
I'm looked on as a weirdo in my club as I. Cast and shoot lead boolits not those expensive jacketed things .l let people try them it changes their minds when it dawns on them they work just fine.

RogerDat
09-29-2018, 10:13 AM
People tend to learn things as "truths" when it comes to things such a shooting, or reloading. Or really any skill or trade. This is good in that most "truths" are based on something. By not having to reconsider the "right" approach or solution anew each time one is free to learn or focus on more advanced or difficult aspects. Safety issues are prime example. Safety truths help avoid accidents. Problem comes in when people figure their truth is the only truth, thus all other truths must be wrong. The sport and community suffer when members get so busy defending or imposing their own, or their groups version on everyone as "The Truth" without having the stone tablets to prove it. :p

The "black guns" either use more ammo or waste more depending on if you are the one having fun using it or the one nearby commenting on the waste to your buddies with bolt guns. Or dismissing them as "mall ninja's" because you don't approve of what they are wearing or the weapon they choose to shoot. They may be mall ninja's or not, their group of shooting buddies may consider this "right" so they do. They may be very willing to learn or not, but you won't know by how they dress or what the shoot. Either way one can be pretty sure the tacti-cool crowd is not signing petition to ban ammo.

Having high end equipment is great, ripping on others who don't isn't good manners and isn't good for the shooting community. Maybe they have other priorities for their money. Maybe they are working in a budget or just getting started. Save your condemnation for the fellow with a $$$ rifle as a first step and barely knowing the pointy end of bullet goes in first. Basing your assessment on your experience and sharing it is good. Insisting it invalidates my experience is just going to piss people off. You bought brand x widget and it was garbage, I bought brand x widget and it worked great. Accepting that the brand x widgets worth is not solely defined by your single experience is how one avoids being a fudd.

Also we tend to have our pet peeves. Can't count how many beginner questions get answered with, go do your own research. It's all in the stickies. Or why waste your time with that Lee junk buy quality or it won't work. If you spend less than $ on a scope it will be garbage etc. None of this is encouraging, helpful or entirely accurate. Lot of shooters and reloaders are just getting started or might only be hobbyist so somewhat less "devoted" to the high and noble art of in which you are a grand master.

That is not to say there isn't some truth in the knowledge takes some effort, not everyone will make it but I don't figure there is an advantage to providing discouragement so that only the truly worthy continue. Whole lot of us don't have to care about the relative merits of a $150 scope vs. a $600 scope since all we need is to be able to see the blasted rings in broad daylight at the range. So not being a fudd seems to me to rest on being able to point out what matters and why, and cases where the extra might be worth it. Telling someone going on an expensive hunting trip in the mountains get the best scope and rifle you can and practice well in advance is good advice. Accepting that the Walmart bolt action is what they can afford and going from there is called mentoring. If you aren't using a weatherby magnum and brand x model y scope you might as well stay home is just annoying.

It boils down to courtesy. Some respect for people even if they don't share your experiences or conclusions doesn't hurt either. If you were never young and foolish, or never embarked on learning a new skill without a trainer, instructor or mentor then you have missed a lot of fun that being young and foolish offers, and the satisfaction that comes from finally accomplishing the goal of your new skill.

I really appreciate the folks that know a lot and are willing to share it, because I have learned a lot and gained much from their willingness to help out. I work on a budget for my hobby, I don't have as much time to experiment as I would like until I retire. So thanks for those that have done so and give back. Those that pointed out good deals, ways to solve a problem, or even those that posted reviews of equipment such as the Lee turret press that allow one to research and consider the "value" it has to them. You folks are the antidote to fudd promoters.

Texas by God
09-29-2018, 10:33 AM
Between mentors and Reading books & magazines, and learning by doing, I was very gun savvy by age 18. When someone approached me at the range, I'd give them a minute to size them up. If they were obnoxious, I would tell them to mind their own business- then smile. They either walked off or smiled and visited. One old gentleman told me that I was wasting my time shooting my scoped Blackhawk at 100 yds. After pulling my target with a 4" 6 shot group, he asked to try it. Of course I let him and the old phart shot a 3" 100 yard group! We bonded that day and he let me shoot his Sako .17-.223. I KNEW what wildcats were so he was tickled.
Always give a person a minute before you decide what they are. Once identified, they can be dealt with accordingly.

Lance Boyle
09-29-2018, 10:35 AM
Well said.

I believe the term originated over at the ar website. It was anger and resentment from Fudds, willing to throw the ar users under the bus of gun banners. A fudd is guy who has is over under for clays or with his bird dog, the hunter with his model 70 or some such that is willing to sacrifice the 2nd amendment rights of others and preserve his own game. Not at all what the 2 nd is about and we all know that but some of us sometimes forget that.

Personally I despise ghetto blasters like a tek9 pistol but I will defend you’re right to have one. It’s not my cup of tea.

The fudd was the classic hunter shooter that was looking out for hims.

I am older now. I went through stages, teenager gun rag reader that thought I knew a lot (ha!), I talked/espoused too much then. Later I learned what I didn’t know, learned I believed in cliched fallacies. I learned to keep my opinions to myself unless a discussion is warranted. On the range I keep my own counsel but will pipe up for safety or when I really see someone struggling and I know I can help, I occasionally will suggest things when someone is obviously confused sighting in a gun. I will let someone look through my spotting scope or call out their hits when they cannot see to adjust.

Then again we are a membership club with very little yahoo type activity.

From the outside we are fudds, you don’t shoot trash on the range, you put your target at the berms, you clear your gun at a cease fire. Hands off when anyone goes down range.

ETA I remember the insults as a kid from the old guys hanging out at the club. The what do you need that for guys, talking to my friend with an AR or his polytek. We weren’t blasting, we were shooting for groups like anyone else. The derision was unfortunate. Oddly the coolest old guy I remember was a bench rest shooter. Single shot, had his bolt out more than in, reloaded right there on the back bench and was glad to talk and share what he knew with two budding reloaders who just reload for woodchucks and paper.

Texas by God
09-29-2018, 10:57 AM
The worst form of Fudd is a RO with a bad attitude. I know they have to deal with a lot but they knew what they were getting into. One at a range outside Dallas would not let my friend shoot an original muzzleloader at all, despite us telling him we shot it all the time. He actually got red in the face as he told us it was a bomb waiting to go off. Told us we were foolish. After a minute, I decided he was a fool and demanded our money back. At first he refused but as things got louder and other shooters started gathering, he relented.
I asked for the manager's phone number and he would not give it.
I asked a shooter about him and he just shrugged and said "power has gone to his head"- and gave me the number. I called the manager and he said the RO made the right call. I told him- teach that SOB some manners, then. And post a sign- NO ANTIQUE SHOOTING. See how that goes with your regulars.
I never went back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

bob208
09-29-2018, 11:18 AM
we always called a fudd the guy that says I only duck hunt they don't want my guns.or the one that says you don't need a pistol.

dragon813gt
09-29-2018, 11:47 AM
As you get older you aren’t open to new ideas. Once you’re set in your ways you don’t want to change. I’m aware of this and try not to be this way. The saying about not being able to teach an old dog new tricks can be applied to humans as well.

Fudd when it comes to firearms is one who’s willing to sacrifice you to keep what he has. This is why they’re an actual threat. I’ve found to biggest Fudds to be shotgunners. Especially ones at higher end ranges where if your gun doesn’t cost $20k it’s junk. They’re willing to sacrifice every other gun so they can keep their shotguns. While being naive, or willfully ignorant, to the fact that they will eventually come for their beloved shotguns.

The firearm community isn’t united. It’s divided into individual groups. Divide and conquer is a time proven method to win a war. But most gun owners simply ignore this.

waksupi
09-29-2018, 11:54 AM
I just say what works for me, take it or leave it.

EDG
09-29-2018, 12:02 PM
I find the worst fudds are the young guys without the experience to appreciate a variety of different gun types.
Some of the most humorous are those who think reloaded ammo is third rate ammo and dangerous to boot.
Many of the younger shooters have very little knowledge of what they are doing yet try to tell someone who has been shooting 60 years how have a good time.

Lance Boyle
09-29-2018, 04:10 PM
Well some reloaded ammo is dangerous garbage. Not mine though. Lol

Mr_Sheesh
09-29-2018, 04:45 PM
Some FUDDs also have one or both of these traits; They are "Rageaholics" and/or "Petty Tyrants". The RO described sounds like the latter, definitely. Not too pleasant to work with, those.

johnho
09-29-2018, 06:03 PM
I don't volunteer much of anything unless someone asks, unless it's a safety problem or I know they're really screwing up their rifle. A guy at my range one day brought out a Garand he just got. Knew nothing about it. I like Garands so went over and asked if I could look at it. He said sure and volunteered he knew nothing so asked a few questions. As I'm looking at the rifle I asked him if he'd cleaned and greased it. Look at me funny and said no. That thing was bone assed dry. Suggested he not shoot it until he did. He thanked me and fired a few rounds to see if it worked and left.

On many sites now I don't even much bother to comment as someone is always smarter than me and makes critical comments sometimes. Why bother? I see the nastiness getting worse and worse. I blame it on this **** Social Media garbage. Everyone's an expert on everything now and they just have to show their brilliance to the world.

But, there are still some good sites with some great people. This is one of them. I see questions that have been answered over and over from new guys and still the "fudds" chime in and walk then through it. That's great. That's what this hobby, and the shooting sports, is all about. So to those "fudds" who helped me at times, thanks. I do appreciate it.

Oh, I'm a FUDD now, I think.

Kraschenbirn
09-29-2018, 06:14 PM
They come in all shapes, sizes, and shades: Dunno how many times I've been told I need to get 'something modern'...like an ARs or Glock...and my stock answer is that I don't much care for the feel of plastic. My bolt guns and single-shots fulfill all my needs and the only time(s) I might get really grumpy with a 'black gun' shooter is when he's on the bench to my left and hasn't got the common courtesy to use a range bag or something similar to block the empties that are bouncing across my station. I even had one...a CCW instructor...recommend that I get a 'modern' piece for concealed carry and that was AFTER 30 rounds (double-action with +P ammo) from my SP101 had left a tennis ball sized hole dead center in my qualification target. They guy next to me - at least, 40 years younger - shooting some kind of XD 'compact' failed to qualify...and he only needed 21 of 30 inside the silhouette on a B27.

Bill

MaryB
09-29-2018, 10:47 PM
I warn anyone I am shooting by that the muzzle brake blasts back pretty bad up to 10 feet either side and anything light is going to be blown off the table... but I usually wait until I have the 100 yard range to myself...

Mr_Sheesh
09-30-2018, 12:47 AM
IMO if someone's being helpful that's at least a good sign and maybe a sign that they're not a "FUDD", it's one thing to prefer wood stocks and bolt guns, or whatever, it's another to insist that everyone ELSE has to make the same choices you do, "or they're jerks" - I think maybe part of the FUDD thing's the need to control other people and force them to do things YOUR way, "OR ELSE". No polymer pistols here and I only have one plastic stocked rifle ATM, had more but family member stole 'em; Doesn't mean I don't like plastic stocks, I just like the nice figure on a beautiful wood stock with striking grain on it more than plastic. On the other hand, plastic does better in the rain here. But if you want to buy a Glawk I am fine with that - And may get one myself sooner or later, just to have one; Have shot some of 'em. ALL of them are fun if you have the right mind set :)

I haven't even shot a lever gun - yet. Some day :)

jonp
09-30-2018, 05:44 AM
"I may not always be right but I'm never wrong" Archie Bunker

jonp
09-30-2018, 05:53 AM
As you get older you aren’t open to new ideas. Once you’re set in your ways you don’t want to change. I’m aware of this and try not to be this way. The saying about not being able to teach an old dog new tricks can be applied to humans as well.

Fudd when it comes to firearms is one who’s willing to sacrifice you to keep what he has. This is why they’re an actual threat. I’ve found to biggest Fudds to be shotgunners. Especially ones at higher end ranges where if your gun doesn’t cost $20k it’s junk. They’re willing to sacrifice every other gun so they can keep their shotguns. While being naive, or willfully ignorant, to the fact that they will eventually come for their beloved shotguns.

The firearm community isn’t united. It’s divided into individual groups. Divide and conquer is a time proven method to win a war. But most gun owners simply ignore this.

^^^^^+1

People should pay attention to what The Breck Boy north of the border is up to if they care to see where the provincial "my gun is fine I don't care what they do about yours" because no-one needs one of those anyways" attitude leads to.