PDA

View Full Version : What Have You Guys Done To Me ?!?!?

The Nyack Kid
11-30-2005, 08:32 PM
I used to be a big tuff logger who thought it was great fun to shoot 475gr and 490 gr boolits between 1650 and 1750 fps out of a japchester 1886 extralight . i thought that a 420 gr boolit @ 1600 fps was for wimps .
I just had to try out (there may have been some influnce from here )a light load of 12grs of Unique under NEI bullet #333 , think a lyman 457191 with a gascheck weighing 315 grs , there was no noze no muzzle flash and no recoil . my 1886 is now JUST a heavy 45 colt rifle .

anyhows, anybody have a load that uses AA #9 in the 45-70 with a 315 gr boolit ?

9.3X62AL
11-30-2005, 08:39 PM
Being the owner of a lightweight 45-70 my own self, I have come to appreciate the lighter shoves presented by 1873-intensity 405 grain loads. The Speer 400's at 1900 FPS were fun, but since I already have that T-shirt I don't see a need to attend that circus again.

A couple years ago, Buckshot said something that made immense good sense to me after enduring the more vigorous recoil of the rated-R 45-70 loads. "As long as they don't bounce back from the target cardboard, they're going fast enough."

SharpsShooter
11-30-2005, 09:54 PM
I used to shoot 300gr J-boolits out of my Saimese Mauser at 2200 FPS and it was a attention getter. The past few years though, I've slowed things down and suffer a great deal less. 500gr at 1250fps out of the Sharps and 400gr at 1400fps out of the 1895 Marlin. Sure does make a session at the range less painful.

Ken O
11-30-2005, 10:23 PM
I hear ya! The Lee 340gr with 50grs of Varget gets 1300fps and a pleasure to shoot out of the 1895G.
With some of the heavy loads I used to shoot, I would develop the flinch after a few rounds.

The Nyack Kid
12-01-2005, 01:04 AM
that one heavy load hits me with 42lbs of recoil energy , my shoulder can handle it , but at 1750fps muzzle jump is a issue . I dont like getting slapped in the face . that little load of unique only hits me with 6 lbs of energy . even my sisters can handle that . What have i gotten myself into ?

Throckmorton
12-01-2005, 01:11 AM
that appreciates mild kickkng loads.why beat yourself up if the target can't eat ya? :bigsmyl2:

I shot some double oght buck the other day for the first time in years.
I'tll be years befoe i do it again!! :shock:

Four Fingers of Death
12-01-2005, 03:46 AM
I used to own a Navy Arms Siamese Mauser conversion with the short waterpipe barrel. Naturally as a newbie to the 45/70 I pushed the envelope with loads. My friend commented at the range one day, that I should get a welder's mask and apron to accommodate the muzzle flash. Fun while it lasted I suppose.
Mick.

Doughty
12-01-2005, 11:03 AM
Kid,

Been there done that. I had a Marlin 45-70. When I got a load worked out that I liked to shoot, realised I could do the same thing in my Marlin .45 Colt. Marlin 45-70 went down the road. I still have a Sharps replica so still can use the brass.

AA#9. For nice loads in the .45-70 I use .44 mag powder charges. Start about 17 to 17.5 and work up till the bullet stablizes.

These ought to work, now that you're ruined.

Char-Gar
12-01-2005, 01:10 PM
I know folks with screwed shoulders, wrists, ebows and fingers from shooting "big blaster" rifles and handguns. I even know a fellow who detached a retina with a really big rifle.

Shooting is supposed to be fun and not a puberty test.

The Nyack Kid
12-01-2005, 09:47 PM
those big blaster rifles have a time and a place . this not being hunting season the reason excapes me at the moment.

waksupi
12-01-2005, 10:06 PM
Kid, you are getting wise, beyond your years.

The Nyack Kid
12-01-2005, 10:55 PM
Waksupi
Yep i'm a wise-guy
I must be if im casting my own.

Buckshot
12-02-2005, 07:39 AM
............After I had a MAS36 converted to 45-70 it was a natural thing to test the limits. Since most people here do not own a ballistics lab (me included) it was a test of how much 3031 can we get in a 45-70 case and still fit a 405 gr in? You can be assured I was watching the primer, casehead expansion, bolt lift and extraction very closely.

I was equaling and in some cases exceeding velocities shown for a Ruger #1 while still in the loads shown for the Marlin M95. I also went with the Lee 450 and 500 gr slugs too, and will admit to having been within whispering distance of 458 Win Mag stuff.

Couple a steel buttplate with a short 12.5" pull and it was very unpleasant. Many was the time that the left side of the stock was covered in slobber! I find a 405gr at 1250 to be a nice load :D.

...............Buckshot

The Nyack Kid
12-04-2005, 01:59 AM
Kid, you are getting wise, beyond your years.
im feeling very old . today i got in the mail an AARP membership registration form . now what the heck im i going to with this ?

Buckshot
12-04-2005, 06:16 AM
im feeling very old . today i got in the mail an AARP membership registration form . now what the heck im i going to with this ?

The same thing I did to those anti gun-owning bastiches. Fill the envelope back up with all the crap they sent you and check the box to join but don't send any money. This will result in quite a bit of mail from them over the months telling you that you are now a member but they haven't gotten your check yet. And variations to this.

Just load all the junk up into the pre-paid return envelope. There will be a place for a credit card number, so once in awile put in like 10 random numbers with an expiration date sometime in the future and mail it back. It's a rather low form of entertainment, but it got to where I was looking forward to thier letters.

...............Buckshot

9.3X62AL
12-04-2005, 08:41 AM
I did a similar thing to Buckshot's method when the ACLU sent out an application to our address. I briefly considered the inclusion of casting dross inside the return envelopes, but that's toxic waste--and the leftist hairballs might sic the EPA-types on me. All bad.

Bret4207
12-04-2005, 10:24 AM
Nyack- Don't worry about anything like a lack of testoserone. What you've developed is called "wisdom". Someday I hope to develop some my ownself.

NVcurmudgeon
12-04-2005, 12:30 PM
I send ALL junk mail back to the sender by stuffing their postpaid envelope with everything they sent me, including the envelope they sent it to me in. I scrawl, "No! Take me off your mailing list," on the reply form with a big black Sharpie. I am considering changing to a red crayon and adding some WW clips to the package.

McLintock
12-04-2005, 01:30 PM
I've been shooting 45-70's in CAS long range events for 6 years now and worked with a lot of loads and powders. Got a Browning '86 and a Browning BPCR , and had two other Browning 1885's, a Traditional Hunter and a standard one, but eventually sold both of those. Also had an original '86 in 45-70 with 1/2 round/1/2 octogon barrel and button mag (original light weight made in 1897) that I shot a little. Eventually settled on a load of 23 grs of 5744 with 405 gr bullet for a smokeless load, which is very mild and really accurate. Started at 30 gr and went down in 1/2 grain increments to about 21 gr to see what was most accurate. AA lists a load of 28 gr with 405 gr'er on the can for 45-70, but the milder one was the way to go for me and many other 45-70 shooters that I shared it with. I once started trying to come up with a 3031 load for the Traditional Hunter and got to about 44 grs and gave up, they were too punishing for me, and nothing was more accurate than my old load, so that ended my quest for a target 45-70 load. Course, my BP load of 71 gr of Swiss 1 1/2 and 540 gr bullet sets me back a little, even in the BPCR.
McLintock

Four Fingers of Death
12-05-2005, 02:41 AM
I send ALL junk mail back to the sender by stuffing their postpaid envelope with everything they sent me, including the envelope they sent it to me in. I scrawl, "No! Take me off your mailing list," on the reply form with a big black Sharpie. I am considering changing to a red crayon and adding some WW clips to the package.

My wife used to work for Readers Digest in Sydney some years ago and they had taken junk mail and turned it into an art form some 15-20 years ago. She said some people would get really angry and send bricks through the mail with no postage attached, forcing R/D to pony up with double postage. R/D didn't bother, they had factored all that into their margins, etc. I get it at work and just send it to head office (wastepaper basket) rather than get excited about it.

versifier
12-05-2005, 04:15 PM
I used to send envelopes back with one or more pieces of lead flashing cut to fit. Then I started casting and it became precious. Now, depending on mood or inclination, I either 1) send them back empty (credit card offers), 2) send them back stuffed with their own and others' paper trash (junk marketing companies), or 3) when I have some uncastable metal contaminated with zinc, I pour it into a cookie sheet in a thin layercut it to size and send it like I used to do with the flashing (this is usually used only for the most obnoxious organizations like PITA, Dem campaigns, Sara Bradyoids, etc.). I've always referred to it as "puttin' the lead to 'em". The way I figure it, the more they have to spend on return postage, the less funds they have to make our lives miserable. :bigsmyl2: