PDA

View Full Version : 223 cast bullets w/ ar15?

moorvogi
09-26-2018, 12:21 PM
I was shopping around for molds today and stumbled across a 55gr mold for .223. Sure they make bolt actions but i'm cerious if anyone has tried these out of an ar15 or really any gas operated semi auto.

i would assume you have to gas check or powder coat them but to be honest, i'm not sure about much more than that.. and even that.. i'm not sure that would be enough.

Can you shoot them at speeds that will allow the action to cycle and bullet not to totally jack up the barrel/threading?

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-26-2018, 01:07 PM
You bet you can. I have.
I posted in the following thread how I got there.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?302707-223-AR-load-data-help&highlight=

Also, type "AR Cast" into custom google search for a hundred more threads on this topic.

John McCorkle
09-26-2018, 01:11 PM
Have heard of some guys using cast in ar powder coated with gas check and hard alloy (all to do with the pressures required to cycle the action)

Not sure what accuracy is attainable but velocities I heard are around the 2000-2100 mark with the right powder burn profile you should be able to cycle your action....well within reason.

If your ar is a racegun and tuned to let's say rifle length gas system, heavy buffer, etc...that'll be more complex. Most ars are over gassed so it should be easy with carbine gas tube and regular buffer.

Again, haven't tried it myself just passing along what I have heard from others.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

sukivel
09-26-2018, 01:29 PM
I shoot the RCBS 55gr clone with H335 powder reliably every time out of my DB-15.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tackleberry41
09-26-2018, 04:59 PM
I have an 80gr NOE that I shoot out of an AR, subsonic and full power.

Dieselhorses
09-30-2018, 08:39 PM
Not to throw anyone off but "Elvis Ammo" on YouTube shoots 223 all day with nothing more than powder coat-no checks. He's a little long winded but if you can have a lil patience LOL >>>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiChkhAjmzs&t=61s

JeffG
10-01-2018, 08:11 AM
Yes, you can do cast in an AR. Im using the Lee 225-55-RF, checked, sized .225 and lubed with #2. I recall im using 20 gr of H4895 for roughly 2000 fps. Works just fine for the 25-30 yard tactical stuff I practice.

Dieselhorses
10-01-2018, 08:23 AM
Yes, you can do cast in an AR. Im using the Lee 225-55-RF, checked, sized .225 and lubed with #2. I recall im using 20 gr of H4895 for roughly 2000 fps. Works just fine for the 25-30 yard tactical stuff I practice.Hey Jeff thanks for the info too, never got around to trying 4895.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

GregLaROCHE
10-01-2018, 10:02 AM
I’m impressed! You guys have really gotten those small Boolits to work. I’m still trying to get a 140gr to preform well in my 6.5mm Swede. Maybe I need to start reading up on .223 loads to get some new ideas.

mattw
10-01-2018, 10:21 AM
I am picking up my first AR next weekend. I am getting a slightly about base PSA with a 1:7 twist barrel. I am not expecting much with that twist rate, even if slowed down. This winter I am going to track down a decent 1:10 barrel to build a cast boolit upper and will stick to j-words with the 1:7.

JeffG
10-01-2018, 11:15 AM
Hey Jeff thanks for the info too, never got around to trying 4895.

You are welcome. Based on content on this forum and a call to Hodgson, H4895 can be downloaded 40% from max charge so is a good choice working up the load, and still has enough gas to cycle the action. As i recall 19 grains worked too but may have been a little sluggish. I expect every gun might be a little different as to what it needs charge wise to cycle the action. My gun is stock outside of furniture, muzzle brake and trigger

Dieselhorses
10-01-2018, 09:19 PM
You are welcome. Based on content on this forum and a call to Hodgson, H4895 can be downloaded 40% from max charge so is a good choice working up the load, and still has enough gas to cycle the action. As i recall 19 grains worked too but may have been a little sluggish. I expect every gun might be a little different as to what it needs charge wise to cycle the action. My gun is stock outside of furniture, muzzle brake and trigger

Have you inspected primers on spent casings for any pressure issues?

gnostic
10-01-2018, 09:50 PM
I just don't see shooting cast 5.56 out of an AR15. From what I've read, they're inaccurate and a gas check costs about three cent each, so they're expensive to shoot. May as well buy a Hornady SP, for nine cents and load standard velocity 5.56. I have a theory, that the bullet passing the gas port in the barrel, has a negative effect on accuracy. It might just be me, but I've never been able to make any auto loader, i.e. Mini 30, Garand, 7400 Rem shoot lead very well.

JeffG
10-01-2018, 10:00 PM
Have you inspected primers on spent casings for any pressure issues?

Oh yes, all good. Its a very light AR load compared to regular jacketed.

KrakenFan69
10-01-2018, 11:01 PM
I have had some measure of success with the Arsenal 225-61 Elvis mold Hi-Tek coated. My best accuracy is with CFE223 but I'm not getting a complete burn and carbon fouling pretty bad. Need to do more testing and find a better load. 4895 was pretty good too. Not pushing either very fast.

Kraken fan #69

44Blam
10-02-2018, 12:34 AM
Not to throw anyone off but "Elvis Ammo" on YouTube shoots 223 all day with nothing more than powder coat-no checks. He's a little long winded but if you can have a lil patience LOL >>>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiChkhAjmzs&t=61s

I like watching Elvis Ammo's videos. He explains thing slowly enough that even I get it.

RogerDat
10-02-2018, 12:59 AM
I needed heavy bullet for a fast twist mini-14 and it is more accurate with cast 70 grain from a NOE mold cast from Lyman #2 gas checked and powder coated than it is with jacketed 55 grain I used for years. Seldom shot it back then, expensive and not terribly accurate with 55 grain commercial. Load is Varget someplace between 23 and 24.5 grains cycled well as I recall. I haven't used it past 100 yards with that load but at that range it is accurate enough to keep them on a 6 inch target, it is after all a mini-14 so not really a long range target gun.

Not only about saving money, also about making 500 rounds when I want 500 rounds. I also think I save money, yes it does take some time to cast a bunch of little bullets. I would think 4 to 6 cavity mold would be very desirable. You will not be all that happy with a 2 cavity unless you are getting a Lee to try their bullet out before getting the larger mold. I should also say I do have a few jword on hand just because options are a good thing.

sureYnot
10-02-2018, 07:06 AM
I shoot pc'd Lee 55gn over 20gns imr4895. No gas check. 1:7 twist. Carbine length gas system. Wife loves 'em. She can spend 120 rounds ringing the steel at 100 yds without the shoulder getting sore. She can't last that long with my jacketed loads. I love 'em because they cost about $0.10. I haven't tried 'em hotter than that yet.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Dieselhorses
10-04-2018, 09:08 PM
Whether you save money or not, if you really have the "itch" to build this ammo, you know what you are getting! Yes you can buy bulk 223/556 jacketed for less than .10 a piece but you have so much control over the results with your poured bullets. I get my COWW / LEAD for free and six hours I can cast over 8000 bullets from 70 lbs. of alloy. Sure it takes time to pour, coat, size whatever but it is rewarding.

shortlegs
10-04-2018, 09:34 PM
I use gas checked lyman 225415, water dropped, sized 225, lubed with thompson blue angel over 20 gr of h335. Shot in 9 twist ar and 12 twist rem 700. Rem chronoed just over 2700 fps. lead is COWW+tin for fill out when needed. 2.5 in average @ 100 in both rifles.

bpatterson84
10-04-2018, 09:49 PM
I've used the Lee 223 boolit, not even working up a load, but going for 2500 or so FPS, we had 2-3" @ 100m, and that was PC'd and no GC. Could have gotten alot better, but for plinking ammo, it was awesome.

upnorthwis
10-05-2018, 10:33 AM
I'm as cheap as anyone but finally gave up with cast in the AR. Got it to shoot 2-1/2" at 100 yd. which is plenty good for 3-Gun but all the matches are "lost brass". I put too much time prepping that brass to see it on the ground and not be allowed to pick it up. Also, the 3 cents/check and PC'ing were not money savers for me.

dondiego
10-05-2018, 12:26 PM
I’m impressed! You guys have really gotten those small Boolits to work. I’m still trying to get a 140gr to preform well in my 6.5mm Swede. Maybe I need to start reading up on .223 loads to get some new ideas.

The Swede is one of the harder cartridges to get to work well with cast.

mehavey
10-06-2018, 07:35 AM
"3-Gun...all the matches are 'lost brass' ..."Interesting.
Is this a range, or match-director rule?

RogerDat
10-06-2018, 08:51 AM
On the cost of gas checks it might be worth looking into a check maker such as Pat Marlin's so you can make your own checks from aluminum at very low cost, or copper for a bit more. NOE has .22 checks for $21 per thousand so just over 2 cents rather than 3 cents each. If the cheapest non-reloadable ammo will work for your needs no reason to reload beyond insuring supply and reasonable cost. Good reasons for me but I also see the point to buying bulk steel cases for "throw away" supply.

upnorthwis
10-06-2018, 10:27 AM
Is this a range or match-director rule?

Match Director rule. When you have to get 100 shooters thru five stages, this is how they save time. If you're lucky, during tear-down you might find some of yours.

Willbird
10-06-2018, 10:31 AM

You can speed up elvis, it is comical somewhat but you get the info twice as fast :-). it is under settings, 2x is about right :-)

flyingmonkey35
10-06-2018, 11:54 AM
I shoot the Lee 224 55gr PC. Out of my bolt action with a mouse fart load . All day long. 3 grn. Of tightgroup.

I actually bought a savage just for this.

As for my AR 15 I have had my cast boolits. Turn to lead mist leaving the barrel. Was pushing them way to fast.

Then I discovered extreme bullets 500 for 30 bucks I bought all the store had. So haven't played with cast for my ar in a while now.

When I run out I'll try again.

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk

jmort
10-06-2018, 11:57 AM
"You can speed up elvis, it is comical somewhat but you get the info twice as fast . it is under settings, 2x is about right "

Not sure that you can speed it up fast enough.

mehavey
10-06-2018, 08:39 PM
100 yards
Lee ALOX wiped on light coat w/ fingers, dried in oven/"warm" 2hrs, shot next day.

https://i.postimg.cc/FsQZnjJD/Armelite_M15_SAECO_221_Combo_sm.jpg

Dieselhorses
10-06-2018, 09:04 PM
"You can speed up elvis, it is comical somewhat but you get the info twice as fast . it is under settings, 2x is about right "

Not sure that you can speed it up fast enough.Awe, give him a break [emoji854]

Dieselhorses
10-06-2018, 09:04 PM
100 yards
Lee ALOX wiped on light coat w/ fingers, dried in oven/"warm" 2hrs, shot next day.

https://i.postimg.cc/FsQZnjJD/Armelite_M15_SAECO_221_Combo_sm.jpgNot bad, hows the bore?

mehavey
10-06-2018, 09:33 PM
Mirror -- no leading at all w/ nothing other than a dry patch.
(and nothing in gas tube/bolt carrier)
Similar to my experience w/ the SR762 and BeoWoof.

ALOX combined w/ #2 is a remarkable system.

Dieselhorses
10-06-2018, 10:13 PM
Mirror -- no leading at all w/ nothing other than a dry patch.
(and nothing in gas tube/bolt carrier)
Similar to my experience w/ the SR762 and BeoWoof.

ALOX combined w/ #2 is a remarkable system.I might just try that. Always good to establish many options.

bruce drake
10-06-2018, 10:51 PM
I have two loads for my AR15s.
Mihec 69gr mold, gas-checked and sized at .225" with 24gr IMR4831
Lee 55gr BATOR Mold. gas-checked and sized at .225" with 20gr IMR4895
both lubed with White Label Lubes 2500 lube

Both function my 20" AR15 1-7" and my 16" M4 1-8" carbine uppers. I keep the velocity for both loads at around 2300fps and the groups are good enough to hit shotgun clays at 100 yards on a regular basis.

Dieselhorses
10-19-2018, 09:32 PM
Had a mysterious "thing" happen today. I was out testing some more pc'd 55 grainers (these had gas checks from when I was paranoid). Anyway I was shooting 10 rounds in each magazine, got to the third mag and let my son take a few shots. Up to now everything functioning flawlessly. He got to the 7th round and "click". Was a little difficult ejecting round (waited about 30 seconds if it was in fact a misfire). I ejected case finally but it wasn't fired. Evidently primer fell out and the bullet was still in chamber. I have no doubt that it would have fired ok, but I'm gonna have to take another look at seating depth. The ogive on the Lee 55 gr mold is different than your conventional 55 gr FMJ. Also thinking about a better crimp.

Dieselhorses
10-23-2018, 08:23 PM
It's been awfully quiet in here. Was it something I said? :groner:

sureYnot
10-23-2018, 09:23 PM
To check if your depth is ok, make a dummy round and scribble the bullet up with a sharpie. It should show if it's touching in there. I crimp my Lee 55 grain quite harshly, but in the groove so it doesn't deform at all. Seems to be what my rifle likes. Or what she'll let me get away with, anyway...

Dieselhorses
10-25-2018, 10:32 PM
To check if your depth is ok, make a dummy round and scribble the bullet up with a sharpie. It should show if it's touching in there. I crimp my Lee 55 grain quite harshly, but in the groove so it doesn't deform at all. Seems to be what my rifle likes. Or what she'll let me get away with, anyway...

I agree with the crimping part. I was seating to 2.16". I just remembered that Elvis Ammo from YT seats his to 2.1 using 23 grains of Win 748. I'm currently using H4895 at 20 grains which seems to be fine like some others in here are using. But yeah I'll do the marker thing. I know there's fancy equipment to do the gaging with but.... Has anyone here loaded with H335 in cast loads? Or is it too fast?

sukivel
10-25-2018, 10:49 PM
I load the 55 gr RCBS clone over 19 gr of H335...

Lloyd Smale
10-26-2018, 06:23 AM
guess im with the naysayers. I fooled with it a couple summers ago using linotype bullets pc coated and gas checked. time I spent making the bullets, the fact that I don't get lineotype for free and the cost of a gas check and then the fact you have to use an m die to open the necks and a factory crimp die to gently close them just adds time to loading. Then although I did get them to run perfectly I never got any better then a 2 inch 50 yard group out of any of my ars with any loads tried. I can buy bulk ball bullets cheap enough and get better accuracy with about any load then I can after weeks of load development time with each ar I have. Save my time for casting, coating and sizing pistol bullets. I proved to myself it can be done and in a pinch if I couldn't find ball bullets I could still roll beer cans with my ars but if im really looking for cheap ar fun I just grab one of my two 9mm ar15s. 5 grains of powder beats the **** out of 20 and accuracy with cast in them is easy to find. My full sized cmmg 9mm will shoot cast bullets into a 1 1/4 at a 100 yards and puts them into one hole at 50. My 9mm ar 4.5 inch pistol doesn't do near the same but it still does as well as my full sized 556 ars with cast. I want a 300 bo in the future and will try cast in that. Im sure it will be a lot more cast friendly then the finiky 556s are.

sureYnot
10-26-2018, 06:48 AM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI'm glad to hear that. Planned on experimenting with some before trying some WC844 from gibrass. Good indication that it's worth my time. There's a lot of dough to be saved, using that stuff.

sukivel
10-27-2018, 10:31 AM
I'm glad to hear that. Planned on experimenting with some before trying some WC844 from gibrass. Good indication that it's worth my time. There's a lot of dough to be saved, using that stuff.

I forgot to mention that through my testing I was looking for a load under the 2000 fps range that would cycle everytime, and it does both.

Mark1Mod0
10-04-2019, 03:57 AM
I too began the search for a decent AR15 cast boolit load that could get the job done for me. I think I have finally hit the nail on the head. I am a gunsmith by trade, and a bullet caster of almost 40 years, so I tend to try anything that seems to have merit. I cast and shoot about 30,000 rounds a year, so I think I might have forgotten more than most people know about the game. And forgetting stuff aint' always bad! Years before PC bullets came onto the scene, I was searching for the magic coatings that numerous bullet casters were coating their products with. I was trying desperately to cut my production times for making copious amounts of gun food for competition by not using traditional lubes in my star sizers. Finally, the PC info hit the web, and I was off to the races! The "forgetting" part comes from the fact that you can forget about most all of the traditional rules and things that you learned the old school way. The best phrase I ever read on a thread about PC'ing was "...PC changed EVERYTHING!". I agree. Back to the topic at hand... I started down the 223 path as many have with the Lee 55-225 6 cavity mold. I used safe low velocity loads working up to minimum loads that would reliably lock my M4 bolt open on the last round. I like to use surplus (cheap) gunpowder, and WCC844 is everywhere. I found that 20.0g of 844 behind the PC/GC Lee would cycle reliably in a 14.5 M4 piston variant. After my first 1k loads through the M4 (aka, 1K gas checks), it was still accurate enough to clang 10" steel 100% of the time at 100 yards with a zero magnification RDS, and there is ZERO leading of the barrel or the gas piston system. However, I found there was not enough "oomph" to reliably cycle some of my longer gas impingement systems with that load. So, back to the loading ladders.... I decided to run up a ladder of 1/2 grain incremental loads from the starting 20.0g, up to the suggested "book" loads 0f 25.0g suitable for 55g jacketed ammo. I figured that I would eventually find that spot where lead would eventually start to deposit in the bbl and bolt areas of the rifles. NOPE! Even at full loads the gun keeps hummin' like a jug! Additionally, at 24.5g I hit the sweet spot for one of my varmint AR rifles that grouped 5 round clusters into .92" and .96" groups. BTW, none of the loads went over 2.5 MOA at my 100 yard testing range. I'm done with ladders at this point! So, for those looking for the details, here ya' go: Use at your own discression with all the usual precautions of working up to this load:
FC cases, case mouths trimmed to length and inside neck chamfered to ease bullet insertion. WSR primers, 24.5g WCC844, COAL 2.13".
Boolit specs:
Lee cast 55-225 6 cavity gang mold. I use straight air cooled linotype (REAL lino with the headlines still readable on it!). At $3 a pound, its worth it to cast 15 pounds into 2000 52g slugs for $45. 1 light coat of HF red applied for 15 minutes in a dedicated HF vibratory tumbler. Toaster oven cured at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, then dumped and shaken to break up the clumps in an old wooden ammo crate before quickly cooling them down with a house fan. Hornady GC's seated and crimped in a Lee .225" push through sizing die (I used a .224 die the first 1K rounds) after PC'ing.

I know to those who are just starting out casting, this all seems like a lot of effort. But when you look at doing 2K or more at a single sitting, this effort is well worth the time and $ spent to squeeze the last cent out of your reloading dollars. Casting 2K takes about 2 hours. PC takes about 30 minutes. GC and sizing takes about 4 hours. TOTAL = 6.5 hours and +/- $100. So, ask yourself, "What's my time worth?". The CG's are the most work really, and the most expensive part of the process, going anywhere from 2.4 cents (Midway USA, on sale last month), up to 4 cents apiece just for the copper cups from Hornady (I will use no others, as they are far superior in my experience). YMMV....

sureYnot
10-04-2019, 09:47 AM
edit: entered in error

Dieselhorses
10-12-2019, 04:14 AM

I know this is a year later but yes, 19 grains H335 under a 55 grain Lee bullet works wonders in my Wyndham CF! Cycles every time and locks when done. Used PC bullets with NO gas checks. NO leading after careful examination in bore, breech or gas tube. Was getting under 2 inch groups at 50 yards with red dot scope.

Dapaki
04-11-2020, 02:32 PM
You can speed up elvis, it is comical somewhat but you get the info twice as fast :-). it is under settings, 2x is about right :-)

Replying to an old thread: I laughed at this until I went back sand tried watching Elvis at x2 and Oh My Goodness! The video was actually watchable and I clearly understood him! So much so that I watched a few episodes that I just did not have the patience for.

I will be using his "low temp, heap" method for PC on the next batch.

.223 is the one problem I am having with PC cast boolits, shotgun patterns. With J-words, I can get 1 moa.

tomme boy
04-11-2020, 04:24 PM
I will be using his "low temp, heap" method for PC on the next batch.

So you think some youtube backyard guy is smarter than the manufacturers on how to use powder coat? Good luck with that at rifle speeds

Dapaki
07-22-2020, 08:37 PM
So you think some youtube backyard guy is smarter than the manufacturers on how to use powder coat? Good luck with that at rifle speeds

I rarely take the bait when some self righteous curmudgeon gets in my face but after trying Elvi's method and shooting a tray, I have to say that it did indeed work! The PC only had to make it down 22" of barrel and there was NO leading at all! No silver, just black on the brush and patches. Chrony averaged 2450, groups averaged 1.25" at 50 yards with a broke scope.

Maybe you could be less harsh and more willing to build up others than tear them down?

Wolfdog91
08-22-2020, 08:57 PM
What BHN is everyone using ?

mehavey
08-22-2020, 09:09 PM
You don't need anything harder than BN-15/Lyman #2/ALOX'd
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?368459-223-cast-bullets-w-ar15&p=4472544&viewfull=1#post4472544

bruce drake
08-22-2020, 09:15 PM

plenty of folks have worked to get their Swedes into good cast bullet shots on this forum. Hit the search button and "fire away."

donald150
08-30-2020, 02:30 PM
I'm glad to hear that. Planned on experimenting with some before trying some WC844 from gibrass. Good indication that it's worth my time. There's a lot of dough to be saved, using that stuff.

Did you ever work up a good load with the WC844? Would you by chance be using the 225-61 "Elvis" mold?

I just recently purchased the 225-61 "Elvis" mold and cast up some last night. I have more WC844 than any other rifle powder so if I can make some magic happen with that ill be excited.

MikeSlater
08-31-2020, 06:18 PM
Cast, checked and coated. Runs great in my AR rifle and pistol. Win748 and cfe223.

Larry Gibson
09-01-2020, 03:06 PM
"it was still accurate enough to clang 10" steel 100% of the time at 100 yards "

If that satisfies one's needs then PC'd cast in a 223/5/56 AR or other gas gun then perhaps PC has, indeed, "changed everything".....for some anyway. For those that just "blast" or shoot in short range 3 gun matches or shoot zombie targets that perhaps may be acceptable......and that's fine. For me a 100% 10 moa at 100 yards load is just not acceptable.

With my standard lubed cast bullet loads which run 2-3 moa for accuracy (20 shot groups as i mostly use 20 round magazines) at 2100 fps I could hit my 10" gong at 200 yards pretty much 100% of the time out of my 12" twist AR15 [seems there's always that 'flyer" either caused by me or "FM"]. However, even with bulk milsurp 55 FMJs could hit the same 10" gong at 300 yards 100% of the time and 95% + at 400 yards with full powered 5.56 level loads at 3150 fps giving 1.5 +/- moa accuracy out of the 20" barrel. Of course with quality commercial jacketed bullet the accuracy is even better. My AR has a non magnifying EoTech on it btw. Figuring the cost of my time, alloy and GCs to cast bullets vs just buying the bulk milsurp the cast run about half the cost of the milsurp jacketed but then if I figure in the time/$s I save using the milsurp FMJs it seems pretty even up to me. And besides, I have a M261 device for my ARs so I can shoot 22LR in them anytime with little to no fuss.

Now before anyone gets a wedgie please understand I love to cast bullets and to shoot them. I shoot lots of cast bullets in my bolt action and SS 22 CFs including 223 Rem. I just don't see any advantage to shooting cast in an AR or other gas gun, especially with a fast twist, unless one simply wants too. You want to? Then that's perfectly acceptable to me. I don't want to so I hope that's acceptable to you.......

Hanzy4200
09-03-2020, 06:20 AM
My take. Yes it is doable. No, its not worth the hassle. The performance you will get is not comparable to j words. .223 relys on volocity. Downloading it, even to 2,600 fps, is a big compromise. Nice to have a mold in the collection so you have a option, but its really not feasible.

sukivel
09-03-2020, 09:35 AM
My take. Yes it is doable. No, its not worth the hassle. The performance you will get is not comparable to j words. .223 relys on volocity. Downloading it, even to 2,600 fps, is a big compromise. Nice to have a mold in the collection so you have a option, but its really not feasible.

Nicely said!

sigep1764
09-04-2020, 01:41 PM
It is a compromise to download down to 2000fps in my loadings. It is more involved than say 38 special. However, once an accurate load is found, its simply lube and check on the Star, then load in the 550. The brass barely grows in the lower pressure loads so trimming is kept to every third load or so. My brass is also getting loaded 8 to 10 times before there are any issues. And the cost of loading with lower powder charges and lead boolits is keeping me plinking. I don't compete in anything other than bettering myself from the previous shooting sessions and learning shooting positions. What has been said in other posts is true, except that casting for 223 is viable for me in my experience. It all comes down to what each person wants to do. There is no wrong way in this case.

Rizzo
09-04-2020, 05:44 PM

I have to agree with that.
I did a bit of casting and testing for my AR15 and initially the "accuracy" was terrible.
The accuracy was like 10" to 12" groups around 2700 fps at 75 yards.

I was involved in a discussion here about casting for an AR15 and was advised to slow it down.
Also, some did report good accuracy with their method.
This included being very picky at picking the cast bullets (culling) and also weight sorting them...which I did.

I then made up a series of loads to check for a better accuracy.
My loads took me to a point where the rifle would not cycle on some of the loads and some just over the point where it would cycle.
Bottom line was a load that gave me better accuracy, but not to my liking.
Like mentioned, 2700 fps down to 2000 fps was quite a compromise that I did not want to do, for marginal accuracy.
I went back to reloading with 55 gr. FMJ bullets for better accuracy.

It was a fun project, but frustrating.

sureYnot
06-09-2021, 07:31 PM
I have to agree with that.
I did a bit of casting and testing for my AR15 and initially the "accuracy" was terrible.
The accuracy was like 10" to 12" groups around 2700 fps at 75 yards.

I was involved in a discussion here about casting for an AR15 and was advised to slow it down.
Also, some did report good accuracy with their method.
This included being very picky at picking the cast bullets (culling) and also weight sorting them...which I did.

I then made up a series of loads to check for a better accuracy.
My loads took me to a point where the rifle would not cycle on some of the loads and some just over the point where it would cycle.
Bottom line was a load that gave me better accuracy, but not to my liking.
Like mentioned, 2700 fps down to 2000 fps was quite a compromise that I did not want to do, for marginal accuracy.
I went back to reloading with 55 gr. FMJ bullets for better accuracy.

It was a fun project, but frustrating.Answer to that is a heavier pill.
Worked for me, anyway.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Alferd Packer
06-12-2021, 03:22 PM
yes
you can shoot cast from an AR.
but first you have to believe and then read and learn what works.
Then
go for it!

Beaverhunter2
06-14-2021, 01:52 PM
yes
you can shoot cast from an AR.
but first you have to believe....

That's what Great Grandpa Alphonse always said, Reubens! ��

mike_kaleigh
04-23-2023, 08:01 PM
you can give it a shot, but I am in the not worth it camp, cheap bulk bullets are back down to 10 cents. I do cast for 300 blk and found it very easy to cast and cycle my ar15, has 16inch barrel and pistol gas, uses less powder also.

let use know if you figure it out

sigep1764
04-24-2023, 01:19 AM
Ive said it before. It ain't that hard. 1/7 twist, 70 grain boolits. 1/10 twist, 50-55 grain boolits. 15 to 22 grains of W748, start at the bottom for heavier boolits. Size as big as possible, I size to .227 with powder coat.

Dub_from_GA
05-30-2023, 09:29 AM

LOL.....he has some great content.....but, dangitman he'll veer off on a tangent right before making his point. :-D