PDA

View Full Version : Just bought two boxes of Remington ammo loaded with three different primers!

Tripplebeards
09-26-2018, 10:56 AM
Well, I didn't...I was with when I talked my buddy into buying two boxes of 180gr of core locts from farm and fleet. I normally reload for him but he shot up all his ammo and this was a brand new rifle he bought a few weeks ago and wanted to get it sighted in. Guess I'll tell him to open the boxes next time for inspection. We didn't notice till yesterday when I sighted his rifle in. He saved the receipt and I called Remington for him since he doesn't reload and would not know there are different burn rates when changing primers.

Remington customer service told me they have already had several calls and called their plant to confirm all the primers are the same but just different colors. The rep told me he reloaded for 47 years and this was alright. I told him I've been reloading for two decades and if these primers were not the same its not alright. He reassured me the primers were all exactly the same with same burn rates but the finish was different.

I call BS and I'm sure they have the ammo down loaded enough that the ammo is not going to be over pressured by changing primers.

I haven't bought factory loaded Remington ammo since 99' and now I know why. I'm sure they tried to save a couple of bucks on mismatched primers and want to save hundreds of thousands on a ammo recall.

What do you think? Whether it's true or not it's shotty workmanship. If it were me I'd feel like I bought a box of ammo from a first time reloaded that cobbled some ammo together to shoot.

http://i.imgur.com/5BjTlrf.jpg

Char-Gar
09-26-2018, 10:59 AM
The color doesn't mean squat.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-26-2018, 10:59 AM
a couple of them have an interesting "witness" mark on the case head around the primer pocket edge...Something wrong there, IMHO.

Tripplebeards
09-26-2018, 11:06 AM
a couple of them have an interesting "witness" mark on the case head around the primer pocket edge...Something wrong there, IMHO.

Didn't notice that till now. It's like military lake city brass dimples on a few casings. I bet they had the casings laying around pre primed and mixed them in with the normal production. There are three variances of primer colors in both batches and in the box above three different distinct markings on the casings. So much for the same "lot".

Walks
09-26-2018, 11:07 AM
That is definitely screwed up. Some of those case "heads" look like they are rejects.

Maybe they were odd lots cobbled together by some REM employee's that got shipped by mistake.

waksupi
09-26-2018, 11:29 AM
Looks like a gunshow special. I'd return them, definitely wouldn't want to shoot them. Kinda makes you wonder what powder is in them, too.

Tripplebeards
09-26-2018, 11:40 AM
I called Remington back and talked to someone else. They want them back. Remington is sending fedex directly to my firiends house to pick them up for inspection and replacement

Chihuahua Floyd
09-26-2018, 12:28 PM
Looks like 4 different primers to me. looking at color and profile.
Definitely send them back.
I would also include a written compliant on the first idjet you talked to. Iy you don't have a name, a date and approximate time and some idea of the conversation.
CF

Dieselhorses
09-26-2018, 01:35 PM
I have a few boxes I haven't opened yet, reckon I better look!

Tripplebeards
09-26-2018, 01:38 PM
I called the place he bought the ammo from to give them a heads up. I was told they would be inspecting all their Remington ammo and pulling it off the shelves if they find any mismatched primers and calling The manufacturer.

Idaho45guy
09-26-2018, 02:22 PM
I bought some Winchester White Box 9mm ammo this summer that ha messed up primer pockets. Had some other friends who have gotten some really questionable looking WWB ammo as well. I guess Federal is still safe and reasonably priced.

lightman
09-26-2018, 02:57 PM
Thats defiantly odd! It sounds like Remington is going to take care of you, even though the first guy was less than helpful.

mold maker
09-26-2018, 03:43 PM
Typical bean counter screwup. It worked out for pure profit on paper, and in a bean counters head that's all that counts.

bikerbeans
09-26-2018, 03:53 PM
I only shoot my handloads. That way if there is a screw up i know who to blame.

BB

Tripplebeards
09-26-2018, 05:10 PM
Typical bean counter screwup. It worked out for pure profit on paper, and in a bean counters head that's all that counts.

That was my guess. I'm sure when they closed the last facility or facilities there was a ton of left over pre primed brass and it all got thrown into one pile. I wouldn't be worried about lot numbers with Remington ammo any more. Good thing I reload.

avogunner
09-26-2018, 05:16 PM
The color doesn't mean squat.

I concur.....the color is meaningless.

Tripplebeards
09-26-2018, 06:25 PM
I concur.....the color is meaningless.

If there wasnt a 1.5" POI group variance tween the gold a silver primed ammo I'd agree. These two primers are definitely made with different burn temps.

FISH4BUGS
09-26-2018, 06:43 PM
Factory ammo? What's that? :)

Texas by God
09-27-2018, 08:07 AM
Back in the day only Remington had brass colored primers. Winchester, CCI and Federal were nickel plated color. Different colors in the same lot? Unacceptable. Some may be regular; some may be Magnum strength. To do that in one's loading room wouldn't fly, why accept it from the "Pros"?

Hardcast416taylor
09-27-2018, 12:19 PM
The last factory ammo I bought for a rifle was back in the early 1970`s and it was only 1 box of Winchester ammo for my 7mm Rem. Mag. It has been handloads ever since for all my rifle shooting.Robert

gwpercle
09-27-2018, 01:16 PM
Lots of panties getting all knotted up....save the outrage for something important.
Color is different....how do they shoot....
Gary

BrassMagnet
09-27-2018, 01:28 PM

It looks to me like this ammo comes from different machines with brass and primers from different sources. I would not call this ammo from the same lot.
Loss of lot control is unacceptable per USMC RSO training.

marlin39a
09-27-2018, 04:46 PM
I wouldn't shoot it. I would contact Remington to complain. Demand a swap.

WheelgunConvert
09-27-2018, 08:26 PM
Does the other end match? Tooling marks on the sides?

Gewehr-Guy
09-27-2018, 09:47 PM
It would also be interesting to weigh the powder charges, and case weights, and the velocity differences.

Tripplebeards
09-27-2018, 11:35 PM
Lots of panties getting all knotted up....save the outrage for something important.
Color is different....how do they shoot....
Gary

If you read post #17 you could have saved the smart Alec reply...you must have been only been reading what you wanted to hear, or skimming...like my dad. Lol...what?...lol

Tripplebeards
10-05-2018, 09:24 AM
Remington went from sending a fed ex truck to the house directly to pick up the ammo to asking my buddy to take it to fed ex to ship it himself. He called and raised heck twice. The rep said they have tried to email him a label but Remington said his email keeps getting kicked back to them. I told Remington I could just email photos and a receipt for him so they could either send replacement ammo but they avoided the question and said they would keep trying to email it. That was a three days ago and nothing has shown up for emails.

Three44s
10-05-2018, 10:03 AM
A few years ago I knew a fellow who was picking the fired brass at a Remington facility. He told me that the amount of testing their loaded ammo dried down to a trickle. That tell us something?

I bought a LOT of brass from him and every now and then I find a casing that is just plain scarry. Now this scarry stuff goes right into the sales chain.

If I had the ammo in question I would NOT write it off and shoot it, I would be raising alarms and send it back.

At the minimum, changing primers in a load changes point of impact. That’s what we handloaders do ..... we change components up until we get better accuracy. Along the way we treat each change as a different load and go back to a lower charge and work up. We watch for signs of over pressure and record the resulting changes while also noting the point of impact shifts.

So even if we trust Remington to have tested the pressure differences and accounting for them (powder charge adjustments), we do not have the point of impact shifts accounted for.

“What’s in your Gun”?

Three44s

Dieselhorses
10-05-2018, 10:12 AM
This reminds me of when they were having problems with random firing in reference to.the trigger groups in the 700's. But that's another saga.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

lefty o
10-05-2018, 11:07 AM
i personally wont buy remingturd ammo. they have the worst quality control in the industry.

Thin Man
10-07-2018, 07:12 AM
Chill, guys, Remington is only trying to match their reputation for quality control and manufacturing they earned through the Walker trigger, their refusal to correct the Walker trigger until a court ordered this to be done, and their manufacture of the Remlin line of rifles. Color this summary purple.

Hickory
10-07-2018, 07:24 AM
I don't buy factory loaded ammo.
I control the end results of what I make!

gpidaho
10-07-2018, 07:31 AM
After several bad experiences with Remington in the last couple of years , they are the LAST company I'd spend money with. They have no Q.C. and a bad attitude about fixing things that they send out knowing it's not right. I'm DONE with Remington. Gp

Tripplebeards
10-09-2018, 11:32 PM
Remington still hasn't emailed the return label. I'll bet my buddy ends up just shooting them. Remington kept telling him they have a tracking number from fed ex when they processed the label but can't find it to email him. What a bunch of BS.

Idaho45guy
10-11-2018, 12:57 AM
Welcome to corporate capitalism.

Pride in your product and seeking customer satisfaction have been replaced by worshipping profits and numbers.

Why should any company actually care anymore. Americans are too lazy to even stop buying products and services by companies that hate them.