PDA

View Full Version : Big Bore Regret..?

iMigraine
09-25-2018, 11:58 PM
Asking sage advice from the hardern, grizzled, and cantankerous owners of experience. Those who have either owned or used various calibers of rifles in numerous configurations too.

A little background information on my humble experiences with rifles. My current rifle calibers I use are .22 LR, 357 Mag, 7.62x39mm, 30-30 and 45-70 Gov. Unfortunately, I don’t get enough trigger time with them due to work, living behind the PRK wall (having to drive out the the desert), living without close access to a rifle range. So, I probably use them four to five times a year, sadly.

When I go camping with buddies out to the California desert, shooting steel, bowling pins and paper targets has been my primary focus. One hundred yards is about the average distance we shoot. Also, I have a love hate relationship for iron sights. I really like using them since they create a challenge for me but my ageing eyes are slowly making it difficult with engaging targets from distance.

Have you ever wanted a firearm because it looked interesting, historical, futuristic? Made with steel and wood or aircraft alloy and nylon polymer? Maybe seen several movies or videos with a firearm that made you lust for?

For me, it’s a lever action .45-70 Gov but with a short 18.5 inch octagon barrel. I’ve always like older rifles made with wood and steel, especially if they looked like from the cowboy era. My Marlin 1895 CBA is a thing of beauty to me. However, never firing such a large bore caliber (except 12ga with magnum loads) rifle before; the recoil was very stout with HSM Cowboy Action ammo. With no recoil pad or extra shoulder padding, after twelve rounds I was done with shooting it. So, I ordered some reloading dies, Trailboss powder, and recoil pad for the next outing.

Now, I have some Trail Boss loads and recoil pad on the rifle. Set out a paper target to fifty yards to find my point of impact vs point of aim. Sending three loads down range, I was surprised to see how much my 355 gr lead boolits dropped. About five inches! So, I had to move the rear buckhorn sight up about three notches to get it close.

After shooting about thirty rounds and my buddies shooting just a few inbetween, I was done for the day. Admittedly, I’m not huge into bullseye target shooting. Therefore, I love shooting steel or golf balls than boring paper which gives no immediate feedback. What surprised me was that shooting the Marlin 1895 CBA became fatiguing rather quickly compare to my other smaller calibers. I naively believed that I could shoot considerably more rounds through it since I was using lighter Trail Boss loads. Maybe if I had bought the heavy Marlin 18945 CB with 24” barrel would help tame more of the recoil.

For now, I’ll work on some more loads and see what kind of distance and recoil I can manage. However, I think I made a possible mistake buying this beautiful rifle for general target use. So, has anyone else bought a big bore but regretted its usefulness for your intention? Any target shooters?

Thanks for reading my long post.

NoZombies
09-26-2018, 12:06 AM
If you're just shooting paper/steel/ etc. and plinking, there's no reason not to use a lighter bullet.

Flailguy
09-26-2018, 12:06 AM
13gr of unique with a 350gr has worked well for me in a ruger #3. (The 405's with imr 3031 will wear you out quick)

country gent
09-26-2018, 12:11 AM
I shoot a lot of BPCR with 45-70 these are loaded with ode ensford 2 f with a 550 grn bullet to around 1100-1200 fps. For plinking and playing try t load you bullet to around 1200fps. Another trick is rifle weight does reduce recoil, if there is a hole in the stock under the butt plate filling it with lead shot and adding 2-3 lbs of weight will reduce recoil. Look in the trap holes of NM M1As/m14s and you find lead to lower recoil and balance the heavy barrels out. Same with Garands and ARs. A good slop on recoil pad will help in a couple ways also one it increses surface spreading recoil out and the cushion softens it also.

To give an idea my 45-70s are all in the 12 lb range for rifle weight and recoil is very manageable. getting you rifle up to 9-10 lbs may be a big help lowering the load down will help also.

44Blam
09-26-2018, 01:06 AM
I have the Marlin 1895 - the normal one with 4 round mag - barrel is 22".
I LOVE this gun. I've got a load that is a 350 grain Ranch Dog NOE boolit with the cup point (it ends up being about 320 grn) under about 56 grain of Varget... It goes *BOOM* and blows stuff up. Last time out with this load, I shot about 80 rounds before I shot everything we had to shoot and got bored. So fun to see a grapefruit just turn into a fine mist... Every time I chuckle...

I made a bunch of 500 grn boolits and powder coated some. I could shoot the lubed ones, but the powder coated ones would not cycle through the Marlin. I am pretty sure those were 40 or 42 grain of varget. So... I gave some to a buddy and he made a video:
http://www.twonails.com/owncloud/index.php/s/nG8bs5v6GVRj3tC

modified5
09-26-2018, 01:25 AM
I have a Marlin 1895 guide gun in .450 Marlin that was made the first year they came out and a TC contender handgun in 45-70 with a 15 inch Virgin Valley barrel on it. I don’t regret either one.
I love the big bores and am looking at getting more.
My next home build is going to be a Darcy falling block in 45-70.
I have most of the parts and steel, now just need the time.

Bmp4510
09-26-2018, 02:03 AM
Similar thing happened to me. Fell in love with the 1895sbl, came home with the HSM cowboy loads, as well as some kind of bear/dangerous game loads. Shooting just the cowboy loads wasn’t fun. The bear loads are still setting on the shelf.

So I bought a 350g Noe mold. Very impressed with the quality of the mold. I tried the 13+/- grains of Unique load, the IMR 4198 loads, and others recommend by fellow forum members. All seemed harsh.

I put a new recoil pad on it, WWG trigger, RPP loading gate and lever take down screw. All very good improvements.

Most of my shooting is off of a bench at the local range, 50 to 100 yards. Groups have been fair to fantastic. I was going to make this gun shot accurately and somewhat pleasantly no matter how long it took.

I got sidetracked on an experiment. I was searching for the quietest, non-silenced center fire gun I could find, that would still have enough power to drop an elk sized animal at 100 yards or less. I need to dispatch some pigs tearing up the yard, and don’t want to disturb my neighbors. I read a story written by Jack Lambert I believe, who was looking for the same kind of gun. He wrote that he settled on a 45-70 single shot, and started dropping the powder charges while using heavy bullets.

I ordered the Lee 500g mold, and started playing. Using Trail Boss I got the bullets down to 550fps. The gun sounds like a short barreled 22LR going off. I used a dB meter application for my iPhone to compare the noise to a 22 rifle and pistol.

Anyway I went and purchase a 24” 45-70 barrel for my TC Encore, thinking the extra 6” barrel would make it quieter than the 1895. It really wasn’t much difference between to two guns, either in sound or bullet speed at low velocities.

So for my slow bullet loads, I’ve settled on running the 500g at 750 to 800fps. Barrel stays very cool, and you can blow through 50-100 rounds very quickly, enjoying every shot.

For normal shooting I go back to my Noe 350g mold, and run 11-12g of Unique. Haven’t chronograph them yet.

Today I put 50 rounds through the 1895, using Barnes 250g copper bullets. Using 3031, both IMR and H4198 powders, to try to sight in a non lead bullet for California hunting. I wore a Past shooting pad, and my shoulder is a little ouchy tonight, but I was able to shoot without flinching. The loads today ran from 1825 all the way to 2415fps. I settled on a load with H4198 that runs 2200 FPS. Fairly comfortable to shoot and very accurate out of my gun.

Sorry for the long rant. But I encourage you to keep playing with the Marlin, trying different powders and bullets. The 45-70 is extremely versatile, and my fondness continues to grow for it. I have over 950 rounds through it so far, and it’s been fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

osteodoc08
09-26-2018, 02:14 AM
Keep your CBA, get a collar button mold and powder coat them. Excellent small game and plinking with the 45/70. I prefer PC on these as the lube groove is HUGE (messy).

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=42_147&osCsid=pir1c4hk5vlnua878c11586f25

sghart3578
09-26-2018, 07:00 AM
In my 1895CB I have settled on the Lee 405, beagled, sized to .459" and lubed with Randy's Tac-X.

I load them over 11 gr of Unique. Easy on the gun, easy on the shoulder, and puts them into a small group at 100 yards.

Hickory
09-26-2018, 07:24 AM
I have a Marlin 1895 guidegun in 45-70 and I will never shoot it again. Since I have gotten my pacemaker I'm afraid of pulling wires loose shooting large calibers.
My 38-55 will kill deer quite nicely thank you.

JimB..
09-26-2018, 07:38 AM
I prefer to shoot the 45-70 unsupported. The groups are larger, but who cares. From the bench the recoil is pretty well focused on the shoulder, unsupported it can be absorbed by your whole body.

For the shooting you do, switching to 357mag may make a lot of sense.

HangFireW8
09-26-2018, 08:00 AM
So far good advice on lightening the load and making the rifle heavier.

I would add, have you considered a peep sight? They take some getting used to but increase the sight radius, and many of us with older eyes like them.

jmort
09-26-2018, 09:12 AM
I have two "JMs" in 45-70 and the recoil can be brutal
Waiting on a group buy for a "light" bullet 330 grain
Been using the Ranch Dog 350 grain
Also have a 500 grain mold and waiting on another. Using 11 grains of Blue dot around 850 fps
Very accurate and tolerable for 500 grains.
Don't know where I sit on the recoil tolerance Bell Curve, but not on the far right side for sure. Possibly in the middle or to the left.
Regardless, no way I will tolerate uncomfortable. The nostalgia of the 45-70 is a bad romance at the high end for me with a lever action.
Will probably try a Henry single shot .45-70. I like the look.
But as always, I like big slow bullets.

GhostHawk
09-26-2018, 09:24 AM
I don't like recoil, so I have stayed away from most of the big boomers.

I did get bit by the Handi rifle bug, and bought a .444marlin single shot.

This one was intimidating to the max. I still have not dropped the hammer on a factory round.

13 gr of Red Dot under a 310 gr .430 gas checked bullet gave me the accuracy I wanted. But I was noticing that after about 10 rounds I was starting to flinch.

So I tried a moderate .44mag load. 200 gr cast boolit, no gas check, 6.5 grains of Red Dot.
Those I can shoot all day.

As for the iron sights and old eyes, either scope it, or put on a Red Dot sight.
I really like the Truglo 2x sight. Brings those 100 yard targets into 50. Quick on target. Not as big or as heavy as a full scope. Its sort of a comprimise.

Rick R
09-26-2018, 11:00 AM
I don’t regret buying my Guide Gun but my wife copied me and bought herself one and wasn’t too thrilled after shooting my 350gr NOE @1,850fps loads. Then I started loading for her with a 400gr cast over @14gr of Unique. She killed her first deer with that load. She’ll shoot 100+ rounds of 12ga in a round of Sporting Clays so she’s not new to recoil, the little Marlin is a kicker.

You might look at getting an 1894 in .357 or .44. They work for deer and also keep you tuned up if you decide to hunt with your .45/70.

RangerDan
09-26-2018, 02:46 PM
For plinking I like the RCBS 300 grain FN GC bullet cast with 1 to 10 tin/lead alloy over a slightly compressed charge of Trail Boss. I lube them with LBT Blue for now but will be powder coating next batch cast.

FergusonTO35
09-27-2018, 09:45 AM
I'm a long time fan of the .45-70 but I shoot it the least. Reason being, I don't like recoil and .30 WCF will kill anything that needs killin' around here. Not to mention, these things eat alot of lead and my shooting funds are really tight these days.

Kestrel4k
09-27-2018, 11:00 AM
Have always had a thing for the big bores starting in .356Win, so I do understand where the OP is coming from.

I do prefer the 444Marlin and even more the .44Mag rifles instead of the 45-70 though; one reason is that it is so straightforward to go down all the way to 200gr bullets in the .429 bore if desired.

I have went through more 240gr's in my rifles than I can count.

rockrat
09-27-2018, 11:18 AM
Go to a lighter boolit and see if it makes a difference. Plenty of moulds around 300gr. NOE and Accurate come to mind. Arsenal makes a 170gr "collar button" mold for the 45-70

FergusonTO35
09-27-2018, 04:37 PM
The 300 grain Lasercast RNFP is an excellent lightweight slug for this cartridge.

northmn
09-28-2018, 09:31 AM
First I will discuss old eyes and iron sights. Receiver sights are a good way to go as they both increase radius and offer better focus. For your type of shooting I would also look at a brass bead no smaller than 3/32. The front sight is 1/2 the sighting system. For regular iron sights another very good option is to switch to an "Express" sight. I did so on my flintlocks as receiver sights don't fit. An express sight does not have a notch to settle the bead into but is a shallow V and you settle the bead into the bottom of the V but see the whole V. They got their name from use on the big double express rifles used in Africa for quick shooting. Another option is to get a round needle file and open up the U in the rear sight so you get more light around the bead. You will also need some touch up bluing.

As to the 45-70. I traded off my 45-70 for a 38-55 and never looked back. Its more than needed for anything I will hunt.

DEP

FergusonTO35
09-28-2018, 10:48 PM
I've already decided I am going to sell my current 1895, the standard 22" barrel model. If I can swing it, I want to replace it with an 1895CBA. The plan is to feed it mild loads equivalent to .44 Magnum power level. I'm not worried about velocity or long range because it's just going to be for walking in the deep woods, I can't imagine a better rifle for that purpose.

beltfed
09-29-2018, 12:24 PM
I found the RCBS 300 gr FPGC with a modest load of Re7 to be mild and effective
for deer in my 1895G .
beltfed/arnie

FergusonTO35
09-29-2018, 12:25 PM
Sounds like a winner. What charge are you using?

LandSurveyor
09-29-2018, 10:52 PM
Serendipity led me to buy an H&R Shikari when I was a young man back in the 70s. I liked it so well that in the 80s, I bought an 1895 with the straight stock and micro-groove rifling - and the crescent buttplate. I thought I wanted the 300-grain "hot" loads but nowadays I am thinking of returning to something akin to the the Winchester 405 grain soft points I bought with the H&R. I hate recoil but those old Trapdoor Springfield loads were quite tolerable. Tried a scope for a while but hated the look and feel. It now wears a Williams receiver peep sight with the twilight aperture which works well with the factory brass bead front.

if you find the Cowboy loads uncomfortable, I agree with others here and suggest an 1894. If you go with light loads in the 45-70, you will have a lot of powder space to fill up and, well, going to a 44 mag will just make life simpler.

If you go that route, I might add that I have found the Ruger lever carbine seems to have markedly less felt recoil than the Winchester 44 carbine I once had. I presume the Marlin and the Winchester would be similar.

Char-Gar
09-29-2018, 11:03 PM
Fantasy drives more gun purchases than reality. Sooner or later, most of us grow up and realize we have some guns for which we have no real need or purpose. That is the time to get rid of the excess baggage and use the proceedes to buy guns that better suit us.

Me? I go for the 30-06 every time. It can be loaded up or down and will do all things reasonable men want a rifle to do.

Tom W.
09-29-2018, 11:36 PM
I bought a 444 Marlin and shot a few boxes of shells through it. Someone wanted it worse than I did, so I traded it. I had an Encore pistol originally w/ a 30-06 barrel. I kept it a few years, traded for a 22-250, kept it a year and found a .454 barrel. THAT was waaaaaay too much for me. I kept it a few years and sold the whole 9 yards,complete pistol, ,scope and dies.

Since my cancer treatments the doctors left a Power Port in my left shoulder (I requested the left side in case I survived and I'd be able to shoot my firearms ) but I'm not supposed to lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk so the most violent thing I shoot from my shoulder is my 30-06 a.i. now. And I'm hoping I don't tear anything loose,

LandSurveyor
09-29-2018, 11:59 PM
[QUOTE=Char-Gar;4467408]Fantasy drives more gun purchases than reality. Sooner or later, most of us grow up and realize we have some guns for which we have no real need or purpose. That is the time to get rid of the excess baggage and use the proceedes to buy guns that better suit us.....

AMEN. I have recently come to this exact understanding. My dad died 3 years ago and I inherited some guns he bought but seldom shot and a heckuva lot of ammo. I intend to go through all of his and mine and all of my components and lead before I die.

Tom W., I've got one of those little cancer souvenirs in my shoulder as well. I see you live in PC. I used to work there and don't live too far away. Hope you are doing well.

Remmy4477
09-30-2018, 10:18 AM
I traded into a Marlin 1895CB in 45-70 a few months ago.
It came with some custom made ammo, jacketed and lead 405grn in the 1800fps range.
Took it for a spin and after 10 rounds my shoulder was screaming!
I put the thing in the back of the safe, a bad trade I though.

After some research and weeks later, tried a few low recoil loads, 4198, Bullseye, Unique and trailboss.
Settled on 11grns unique with lymans 292grn (casts at 305), velocities about 1100fps, recoil is delightful and the punch at the other end is non debatable.

Very happy with my marlin now!

Drm50
09-30-2018, 10:54 AM
I got a Marlin 1895 on a trade back in 70s. The guy had bought it and decided it was to much gun
for him to shoot. I had no real interest in it and had never shot a Marlin. I had extensive experience
with original Trap doors, RBs, ect. I don't keep rifles unless they are accurate, I kept the Marlin 95
and still have it. Having said that, 45/70 is a lot more gun than required for most hunting and a poor
choice for a fun gun. I have seen this time and time again here in Ohio. Due to Hollywood BS the 95
Guide Guns are top sellers for our limited rifle season. A lot of guys buying these have very little rifle
experience. They have been hunting with slugs since Ohio had deer season. They don't complain about recoil as much as the ballistics of 45/70. For deer hunting purposes here in the East the 45/70
hasnt much gain over a slug. Why buy a 45/70 and load it down to 44 mag levels? Why not buy 44
or 45 in 1894 Marlin CB. Then you will have a rifle that is pleasant to shoot, a good 100 yd range toy
and a good woods deer rifle. This is not to say a 45/70 won't kill a deer, it will as matter of fact with
full power loads it's overkill. With reduced loads there is no reason to use a 45/70 over a 44 or 45.

beltfed
09-30-2018, 10:55 AM
FergusonTO35
My load is 1 grain above the starting charge of Re7 in the Lyman CBH #4,
50 gr . RCBS 300 gr FPGC, cast of my 9+1 ww/lino. Have had groups
of 1" or so at 50 yards. Also, 52 gr 3031 shot well under this bullet in my 1895G
Oh, my classic load for my(8 1/4# M86 LW Win is also lyman's suggested: 48 gr 3031/ 457483- 385 gr.
Shot lots of deer with them. One shot one kill.
beltfed/arnie

jmort
09-30-2018, 11:13 AM
Many/most people buy all sorts of things they do not need. I like to shoot 500 grain bullets out of the 45-70 at 1,000 FPS +/-
Don't need it or need to, but for now, I like it.
I also shoot .22 LR, I like that
But the hot 45-70 is a no-go for me.

500Linebaughbuck
09-30-2018, 01:07 PM
I don't like recoil, so I have stayed away from most of the big boomers.

I did get bit by the Handi rifle bug, and bought a .444marlin single shot.

This one was intimidating to the max. I still have not dropped the hammer on a factory round.

13 gr of Red Dot under a 310 gr .430 gas checked bullet gave me the accuracy I wanted. But I was noticing that after about 10 rounds I was starting to flinch.

So I tried a moderate .44mag load. 200 gr cast boolit, no gas check, 6.5 grains of Red Dot.
Those I can shoot all day.

As for the iron sights and old eyes, either scope it, or put on a Red Dot sight.
I really like the Truglo 2x sight. Brings those 100 yard targets into 50. Quick on target. Not as big or as heavy as a full scope. Its sort of a comprimise.

i love my 444 in tc encore and a 24" MGM barrel. but i don't like the recoil. i am using a 300gr fn gc(saeco) and 25.5gr of 2400 with a tuft of dacron(going 1600-1700fps, still have to chrony). i used trail boss and unique with 280gr wfn gc and i found it accurate out to 50 yards.

i have a 500L in a tc encore with a 24" MGM barrel. it uses a 460gr lfn gc with 16.5gr of hs-6(i have to chrony it,but it should go 1200-1300fps). this one recoils like a 30-06 with a 180gr factory bullet. i know it can go further, but since i don't like recoil, i am happy with the 1200-1300fps.

the 30-06 with 180gr factory rounds is basically my recoil "cut off point". when the 30-06 recoil comes to too stout fer me, then unique, red dot, 2400 and trail boss are there.

i used to do in the 444 marlin with 265gr hornady fn and a stout charge(2300+fps) of h4198 would be a 3/4" at 100 yards(5 shots, benched). about 6 or 7 years ago, the "flinch" came to me. the 3/4" group went to 4 or 5" group, i decided that someone(Dad) would watch me shoot. i shot the 444 and almost instantly my dad said "you close your eyes and you pull the trigger." it took me about a year to make sure my eyes were open and i squeezed the trigger. also, i have gone to cast boolits almost exclusively and downloaded the powder.

beltfed
09-30-2018, 04:24 PM
It is noted that my 1895 G is ported...
beltfed/arnie

FergusonTO35
10-01-2018, 09:03 AM
FergusonTO35
My load is 1 grain above the starting charge of Re7 in the Lyman CBH #4,
50 gr . RCBS 300 gr FPGC, cast of my 9+1 ww/lino. Have had groups
of 1" or so at 50 yards. Also, 52 gr 3031 shot well under this bullet in my 1895G
Oh, my classic load for my(8 1/4# M86 LW Win is also lyman's suggested: 48 gr 3031/ 457483- 385 gr.
Shot lots of deer with them. One shot one kill.
beltfed/arnie

Thanks!

beemer
10-01-2018, 11:07 AM
I have been on a search for a lighter load for my 1895SS for a while now. I have the Lyman that was designed for the Marlin, 410 grs. or so and the Lee 340. Never found a load that shot well with the 340 but the Lyman does well. I have been working with 2400 and a dacron filler. I have found that 15.5 - 16.5 does around 1000 fps, shoots well and doesn't beat me up from a bench. I don't seem to have any luck with Unique or Trail Boss.

I bought this rifle 18-19 years, didn't shoot it much for the last 10 years or so. When I got it out a while back it kicked more than it used to or is it just me. Went from tang to receiver mounted peep and now a scope, doesn't look right but that's where we are.

Looking back I wouldn't have bought it, still haven't made up my mind if I'll keep it or not. It is a nice rifle but time sure changes things. Seems I have more fun with my 30-30 and the 25-20.

As far as needing any rifle, I past that a while back and it's not even a consideration. I shoot what I enjoy shooting.

Hanshi
10-01-2018, 03:07 PM
I've never been a fan of using light loads in a big gun for small game or targets. I've owned a couple of .375H&H, a .338 Win mag and a .458 Win mag. I still own and shoot my M700 Remington .358mag I ordered back in the mid 1980s.. I've killed a lot of deer with that fine rifle. I'm use to recoil and the worst one, IMHO, was the .338 with "below max" handloads of 200 grain bullets at 3200 fps; yes, it killed deer.

I bought a Marlin 1894 .44mag and a Marlin 1895 45/70 back in the 1970s. Both have taken deer but the .45/70 has taken many deer. If I need a gun for little stuff, plinking and such, I use a small gun. The 1895 came with a crescent butt plate designed to kill. I had a shotgun recoil pad installed. Only one load for each; a 400 grain sp over enough 3031 to give 1800 fps. Pleasant to shoot except off a bench and shooting more than 15 to 20 rounds at a time. The 1894 wears a 3X power scope while the 45/70 wears a Lyman receiver sight (for the shooter's safety). I finally gave up on cast bullets for both, none of which gave the kind of accuracy I wanted; my 30/30 and .308 kid, however. A 22" tube mounts the 45/70 and I feel that's just perfect.

GoodOlBoy
10-01-2018, 04:20 PM
.457-.458 round ball (from mold, or just bought). Averages 144 grain in weight. Runs around $15 per hundred mail ordered from Hornady.
Lube it up with some homemade beeswax lube, or LLA or 45-45-10
Dunno what to tell you on starting loads.

Anyway everybody calls it a 45-70 parlor load, or a gallery load. They are amazingly accurate in alot of guns, and have virtually no recoil, and very little drop. Should be more than a few posts on here about them from what I remember.

God Bless, and One Love.

GoodOlBoy

indian joe
10-01-2018, 05:54 PM
[QUOTE=Char-Gar;4467408]Fantasy drives more gun purchases than reality. Sooner or later, most of us grow up and realize we have some guns for which we have no real need or purpose.

WHAT !?......... If I did that .....I end up with a beat up Single Shot 22 .........there be nuthin left in my gun locker......."real need or purpose" is part of the fantasy

45-70 Chevroner
10-02-2018, 07:36 PM
For general plinking, paper and steel clanging, out to a hundred yards, I have a single cavity Lyman 457191 292gr mold. I love this boolit and it shoots great at a hundred. I load it with 13gr of Unique and if my memory serves me right it's running at about 1200 fps. There is no kick, it's more like a push. I call it my big 22.
I am shooting this in a Sharps original with a new barrel. I can shoot this load for several hours and not be fatigued other than the fact that I'm 77.

smkummer
10-04-2018, 06:48 PM
A buddy of mine had a guide gun and traded it for the 1895CB. Likes it better because of less recoil. I have the 1895SS with pistol grip, shotgun butt, 1/2 mag. and 22” barrel. Wonderful combination with a 350 grain bullet at 1300 FPS with unique. I can shoot 50 at one outing but seldom do. Oh, I do have a leather wrap recoil pod on it. Looks period and works.

Truth be told, I am shooting far more 170 grain bullets at 1600 FPS in 30-30 and 200 grain bullets at 1500 FPS in 35 Remington.

Walks
11-03-2018, 02:01 AM
Back in 1971, My DAD promised me the Gun of my choice when I got home from Recruit Training. The day after I got home we stopped by New York Hardware in downtown L.A. They had a MARLIN Sporter in the rack with a Scope in .444, 24" bbl with Monte Carlo stock. Two boxes of ammo and a trip to the range the next day. I didn't think recoil was bad at all from the bench. DAD promised some of the new HORNADY 265gr bullets, for reloading when I got home from Basic HM School. Didn't get back until '74, Bunch of great guns stolen in burglary 2 weeks before.
That version was no longer made. Got a 1895 in .45-70 a few years later. Shot the 405 Remington factory load and reloaded with the 350gr or 300gr HORNADY bullets.
Put a WILLIAMS Fool Proof Receiver sight and a 1/8" Brass bead. IMR3031 made for some stout loads. Killed a lot of pigs with it.

Much later, into Cowboy Action Shooting, I got a 1895CB when they first came out. Lots of fun log-splitting with the LYMAN #457122 HP. Williams tang sight & 1/8" Brass bead. Great shooting rifle.

Petander
11-04-2018, 09:41 AM
I have no problems selling a gun I don't use much for whatever reason.

A CZ 9,3x62 was unpleasant to practise with,something strange about the ergonomy / fit. A 500 S&W revolver was too noisy,the brake eventually got irritating. Just to name a few.

I shoot a Marlin 1895 SBL now and it seems to fit me good,feels like it is taming the recoil to a very tolerable level. Compared to my earlier Marlins,that is. I also shoot 22LR a lot in every form, they keep the flinch away.

MostlyLeverGuns
11-04-2018, 10:28 PM
I seldom shoot any bullet over 300 grains in my 45-70, a straight-grip Marlin 1895 bought new in 1980. It has killed well over a dozen elk with the 300 grain Barnes Original at 2100+ fps. Recoil is most unpleasant, but trajectory about like a full load 30-30. For fun a 300 grain like the RCBS 45-300 FNGC or a 300 gr plain base commercial cast like the Lasercast is used over a light charge of 5744, 4227 or Reloder 7. A recoli pad is advised, Kick-Eez or Limbsaver, save the unpleasant loads for serious hunting. I HAD a 454424 that threw way oversize (.458) 260 grainers that were really pleasant and quite accurate to shoot with 4227. Bullet weight is your enemy for fun shooting. Can't comment on Trailboss, but lighter bullets are more fun, easier on the shoulder, use less lead, still make .45 holes and kill just fine.

3856imp
11-09-2018, 01:22 AM
I don't know maybe you need to step up, if you want to shoot a rifle. My 13 year old son shoots my 35 whelen with a plastic buttplate 250gr factory loads ,he weights 90lb. He laughs and asks for more.

3856imp
11-09-2018, 01:24 AM
If you want to it's easy

3856imp
11-09-2018, 01:25 AM
If you don't you won't.

3856imp
11-09-2018, 01:29 AM
You should try my ...

3856imp
11-09-2018, 01:37 AM
If all you are going to do is shoot deer then get a 357 or a 44.

Texas by God
11-09-2018, 08:18 AM
I don't know maybe you need to step up, if you want to shoot a rifle. My 13 year old son shoots my 35 whelen with a plastic buttplate 250gr factory loads ,he weights 90lb. He laughs and asks for more.Wait till he's 40 and has to have shoulder surgery. I don't think he'll laugh at that. Why troll at all?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

robg
11-09-2018, 10:02 AM
I hate pain so I load to trapdoor levels .used to like big bangs and recoil but we get wiser with age.

FergusonTO35
11-09-2018, 05:38 PM
I don't know maybe you need to step up, if you want to shoot a rifle. My 13 year old son shoots my 35 whelen with a plastic buttplate 250gr factory loads ,he weights 90lb. He laughs and asks for more.

Weighing 90 pounds he can roll with the punches much more easily than a larger person. I'm 6'3/296 and my shoulder absorbs every bit of recoil.

Drm50
11-09-2018, 09:19 PM
When I got a 1895 on trade in was like new. The first thing I did was to take a lot of wood off butt and forearm. Slimming it down to flush with action like the old Marlins & Wins. When I took off the
butt plate I found a surprise. Previous owner had a recoil absorber in the stock, the type Trap shooters use in shotguns. I didn't put it back in. The 95 recoiled a little more, that could be because I
reduced the area of butt by at least 25%. I only use it to hunt so I only get booted good when tuning it up off the bench.

missionary5155
11-11-2018, 09:14 AM
Good morning
Most our 5 months up here this time a 8 pound Ballard #2 caliber 50-100 Winchester was with me near every trip to the range.
From a 285 grain up to a 450 grain cast all sized .512 was sent down range. Out to 100 yards it is a deadly fun shooter for what ever needed to be ventilated. I failed to try any round ball or the 145 grain "button cast" for bunny loads but have little doubt they will deliver the needed light weight punch when needed. The 285's shot so well with 1F and 12 grains of Unique they seemed to fill everything needed.
The narrow steel shoulder massager is the only issue that reminded me from time to time that a flat shotgun rear stock would be a future change for summer carry.
So hey if I had to be one rifled... that caliber 50 is a prime candidate. Gophers to buff with one 8 pound 30 inch barreled rifle which may be more accurate that our 50 Alaskan 86 Winchester wants to be. Today I weigh all of 146 pounds clothed.

northmn
11-11-2018, 10:33 AM
I had a 45-70 CB rifle with a 26" barrel. It was too darn light weight and miserable to shoot even at BP levels. Now have a Marlin DB in 38-55 and even with hotter loads and with the bullets that come out of the mold at 287 grains it is much more pleasurable to shoot. Really doubt if there is anything that it will not handle well. I still have a Rolling block in 45-70 that weighs in at over 10 pounds, and may get it ready with BP again. Shot a deer once with the Gould bullet and it ran a bit like they tend to. Nothing fantastic. They do about the same with a 30-30. Only DRT's I get consistently are with CNS shots or breaking them down with both shoulders taken out.

DEP

Texas by God
11-11-2018, 12:18 PM
I used to sight in rifles for friends, then have them shoot two shots and make final adjustments as needed. Back then I weighed 150 in the summer and 160 in the winter. To me, the real recoil beasts were the .300 Wby, 7mm STW, 8mm Rem Mag, with the nastiest being the 30-378. They hit you fast and hard. The .358 Norma, .375 H&H, .458 Win, and Ruger 45-70 loads I could roll with. Now I'm fatter and older with an expensive rebuilt shoulder so I use a slip on Limbsaver pad for anything that kicks. That's why I love CB loads - they make shooting fun.
If I want pain, I'll just go pick a fight with one of my bulls.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Good Cheer
11-18-2018, 08:57 AM

Some day I need to get me another 45-70 just because this mold deserves one.
:popcorn:

missionary5155
11-20-2018, 09:28 PM
Howdy Good Cheer
What mold is that.. Looks like it would take care of 70% of all hunting needs or imagined.

Deadeye Bly
11-20-2018, 10:24 PM
The 45/70 is not for everybody. It is at it's best with heavy bullets but heavy bullets equal heavy recoil. If it's not fun to shoot sell it and get a lighter caliber such as a 38/55 or even a 357 magnum. If you still like a 45 caliber then look at a 45 Colt.

smkummer
11-21-2018, 04:54 PM
The 45/70 is not for everybody. It is at it's best with heavy bullets but heavy bullets equal heavy recoil. If it's not fun to shoot sell it and get a lighter caliber such as a 38/55 or even a 357 magnum. If you still like a 45 caliber then look at a 45 Colt.
Often what we see here is shooters downloading 45-70 to hotter 45 colt levels. Can’t agree more with the above statement.

Groo
11-21-2018, 05:33 PM
Groo here
Just remember, the BP load for the 45-70 was a 350gr [carbine ] 400gr [rifle] or 500 [longrange target] lead bullet at between 1300fps to 1100 fps and I have not read
anywhere that It was not enough for any game in North America.
350 at 1800 + Is just not needed unless you are shooting great distances and a 500gr marlin load is for Africa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!