PDA

View Full Version : Darrell's Scout Mount K31

Maineboy
09-27-2008, 03:46 AM
Anyone have experience with it? Do they hold firm or do they work loose under recoil? I just bought one of these on Ebay and it was delivered today. The price was right and it looks to be in excellent shape. How about an inexpensive LER scope recommendation, both make and model and magnification? I have alot of projects to finish before winter and hunting season is coming so it may be awhile before it actually gets used.

mike in co
09-27-2008, 04:12 AM
rather than discuss that mount, my i suggest you look at graf and son, do a search on st marie in the optics area. they have a removable mount that uses 22 rings( or add 22 ring adapters and std weaver rings). use a std scope. you may have to remove the leaf of the rear sight, or just fold it straight up, or all the way forward.

this mount does not modify the rifle , is rock solid and very repeatable. i have 4 for my three k-31( 3 with 4x and one in 10x for load developement)

the aluminum is fine, but they do make one in steel.

mike in co

DanM
09-27-2008, 08:43 AM
The Darrel's K31 scout mount is well made and solid. Mine has held zero for quite a while. No problems there. Having said that, I would rather have one of the St.Marie or other mounts. Col. Coopers Scout Rifle concept was intended for short, handy rifles or carbines. The K31 is a long way from short and handy. Also, even with low rings, the scope is up a little too high for good eye alignment with out a cheek rest. On the bench I usually drape a folded towel over the comb to raise my eye level. Fine groups are possible with it, but I would have to say that it is a bit awkward in use on this rifle. Now, on a Steyr M95 carbine, it would be a different story. I would love to have a scout mount for my little M95....

Ivantherussian03
10-03-2008, 11:31 AM
Maineboy--

so what did you do? I am thinking about that scope mount too?

PatMarlin
10-03-2008, 12:32 PM
Anyone have a pic of these different scope mounts?

mike in co
10-03-2008, 02:36 PM
i have three of darrels mounts, but in the case of the k31 the st. marie base is the hands down winner.
it fits in the ejection port on the right hand side. lots of precise machine work. all of this means a solid lock with a single clamping allen machine screw. no modification to the rifle.
either use 22 (3/8") rings or get 3/8 dove tail to weaver adapter mounts (b-square, on sale at midway)and then use std weaver style rings.
single solid hunk of metal plus the clamp/bolt.
it does hang just right of the bbl centerline, but as i shoot left handed...not an issue.

as i have said in this case just go to graf and son and buy one!

jack19512
10-03-2008, 03:00 PM
I went from this

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a63/jack19512/K31s.jpg

to this for a good reason.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a63/jack19512/K31ScopeMount.jpg

Maineboy
10-03-2008, 03:39 PM
Maineboy--

so what did you do? I am thinking about that scope mount too?

I have the mount and it's attached to one of my K31s. It seems to be a solid fit, but I'm afraid to really torque down the set screws for fear of stripping them. I haven't mounted a scope on it yet. I don't plan on shooting anything but mild cast boolit loads in it so recoil shouldn't tear it off right away. I'm probably going to buy a 2X or 2.5X NcStar scout scope as I don't want to put alot of money into this project and the eye relief of a bit over 10" is about right.
I bought the mount on Ebay for $20.00 plus shipping, so the price was right. It doesn't look like it's been used.
I really like the St. Marie mount and I may get one in the future, but for now I'll use what I have.

MtGun44
10-05-2008, 11:17 PM
Darrel's mount works just fine if adjusted exactly like he says to install it.
If yours doesn't have instructions, seek them out before installing as you
can bend the mount up if done incorrectly.

I like mine, but it is mostly for benchrest shooting. Match shooting or hunting
are very difficult due to needing a cheekrest to locate your head.

Mine holds zero very well, shot good 300 m groups today with my K31.

Bill