PDA

View Full Version : Possibly Moving to Arizona

ThomR
09-22-2018, 02:27 AM
My wife recently passed her board exam to get her license in radiology. She has been applying for jobs in the south west and was contacted today by the HR department of a hospital in northern AZ.

They didn't specifically say where at in northern AZ as they didn't want a bunch of people calling the hospital about the position.

She has a call scheduled with them on Monday to talk about the job, the hospital, where it is located, etc.

The description the job posting had of the city and the area seems like Flagstaff.

I'd gladly give up corn fields in exchange for mountains and wide open spaces.

smokeywolf
09-22-2018, 02:50 AM
Flagstaff is mighty pretty. A bit expensive, but you could do a lot worse.

MOA
09-22-2018, 07:02 AM
TomR,
Lived in flag for most of my adult life. Went there from Atlanta where I worked for Delta to go back to college on the GI bill.
Flag is nice. But it has grown lots since I livd there in the 90's. Flag medical center is a nice facility and i have long time close friends that work there.
The biggest issue will be housing and traffic. My suggestion is get with Southerby real estate (Russ Lyon), ask for Andy Grannan, have known Andy for 43 years, and his wife has worked at the hospital for over 20 years. Have him locate something for you on hwy 180, it heads out of town toward the grand canyon and makes it a easy trip for your wife to get to work without going through all the traffic bottlenecks, AND when you want to get out if town and head ro the woods or the mountain you dont need to go through town to get there. Good luck in Flag. You will not want to leave it once you get there. My wife and I hope to head back there when we are done here taking care of aging parents.

ShooterAZ
09-22-2018, 07:16 AM
I've been in Flagstaff since 1977. Yes, the town has grown, but it's still a small town and hasn't lost it's charm. FYI, I believe the hospital here has some satellite "branches", so it may or may not be in Flagstaff. Either way, you'll have beautiful country and wide open spaces. I wish your wife and you luck on her job application. Please keep us posted... Where do you live now?

MOA
09-22-2018, 08:03 AM
I've been in Flagstaff since 1977. Yes, the town has grown, but it's still a small town and hasn't lost it's charm. FYI, I believe the hospital here has some satellite "branches", so it may or may not be in Flagstaff. Either way, you'll have beautiful country and wide open spaces. I wish your wife and you luck on her job application. Please keep us posted... Where do you live now?

Right on!

Don Purcell
09-22-2018, 10:40 AM
I'm envious. I would love to live around the Page area but housing too expensive and other commitments here in Illinois. Wish I would have moved when I was young.

ThomR
09-22-2018, 11:34 AM
We currently live in southern Illinois.

Sweetpea
09-22-2018, 11:51 AM
I'm envious. I would love to live around the Page area but housing too expensive and other commitments here in Illinois. Wish I would have moved when I was young.

I live about 3 1/2 hours from there, and occasionally have to head over there for a week at a time.

Housing is MUCH cheaper there than here, for a reason.

About the only thing that gets me excited thinking about page is the really good pizza joint.

I love Flagstaff, but the wife has never lived where it snows normally, and wants to keep it that way.

marlin39a
09-22-2018, 11:55 AM
Flagstaff, maybe YRMC in Prescott? There are some big medical facilities in Navajo Country. You will be a free man the minute you get to Arizona. No gun restrictions like Illinois .

GOPHER SLAYER
09-22-2018, 01:58 PM
Flagstaff also gets very cold, even in late spring.

Texas by God
09-22-2018, 02:56 PM
I'm excited for ya'll. Leave Illinois and it's Libtards far behind. Burn your FOID card!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

ShooterAZ
09-22-2018, 03:01 PM
Flagstaff also gets very cold, even in late spring.

LOL...I've seen nine inches of snow here in early June. Killed my entire garden:violin:

DIRT Farmer
09-22-2018, 03:18 PM
I have visited several times, on my way to Ben Avery/ Black Canyon range. Lots of big shooting events. I have been told the fishing is great and no matter where you are in the area you are about an hour from snow skiing or water skiing whichever you choose on the same day.
I am seriously considering moving there it the oppertunity arises

ThomR
09-22-2018, 03:53 PM
I'm excited for ya'll. Leave Illinois and it's Libtards far behind. Burn your FOID card!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I moved to Nevada in 2012 for a few months. It didn't end up working out. While I was there I cut up my FOID card.

Is there any sort of deer population to speak of in northern AZ? Rabbits? My brother is really big into deer and rabbit hunting. I would love to get to come out and do some hunting with me if it is available.

Sweetpea
09-22-2018, 04:01 PM
The biggest mule deer in the world inhabit the Arizona strip and the Kaibab plateau.

But, it takes many years to draw a tag.

ShooterAZ
09-22-2018, 04:08 PM
There is monster muley bucks in just about every hunt unit, mostly in the northern zones. Some of the biggest elk also roam the woods of No. AZ

jonp
09-22-2018, 05:16 PM
Went to college in Flagstaff and spent a few years afterwards working for The AZ G&F and The Forest Service there. Go Lumberjacks!!!!

Loved Flagstaff and the surrounding area. Be aware that it seemed to me to be a "college town" in that it was kinda crunchy but there were plenty of natives that still worked in the outdoors for a living. Great place.

jonp
09-22-2018, 05:18 PM
There is monster muley bucks in just about every hunt unit, mostly in the northern zones. Some of the biggest elk also roam the woods of No. AZ

Friend of mine guides on The White Mountain Apache Res. Monster elk is an understatement. Lot's of Antelope around Flagstaff, too. I once had maps of all the waterholes, tanks, breeding area's etc of antelopes in Northern AZ courtesy of The Forest Service when I worked there. Wish I had them back.

am44mag
09-22-2018, 05:23 PM
My wife recently passed her board exam to get her license in radiology. She has been applying for jobs in the south west and was contacted today by the HR department of a hospital in northern AZ.

They didn't specifically say where at in northern AZ as they didn't want a bunch of people calling the hospital about the position.

She has a call scheduled with them on Monday to talk about the job, the hospital, where it is located, etc.

The description the job posting had of the city and the area seems like Flagstaff.

I'd gladly give up corn fields in exchange for mountains and wide open spaces.

The area around Flagstaff is gorgeous, and I believe quite a bit cooler than the Southern part of the state. It is a bit of a tourist town though with the Grand Canyon only being a short drive away.

MOA
09-23-2018, 03:21 AM
Dove hunting, Javalina, Wild turkey, Squirrel, Whitetail deer, Mule deer, Coues deer, Antelope, Sheep, Elk, Red heads, Canvasbacks, Teal, Mallards, Blue grouse, Mountain lion, Black bear. Just a few of the game animals. Of course then the fishing, Small and Large mouth bass, Strippers, Walleye, Blue gill, Crappie, Rainbow trout, Cut throat trout, Catfish, and great lakes to swim, water ski, camping......not enough space or time to list those great places. Yup, AZ is a nice place to be. Good luck.

ThomR
09-23-2018, 08:09 PM
If we end up moving to AZ I'd like to get together with some of the members here and do some shooting.

Beerd
09-23-2018, 10:13 PM
I understand that there is a gunsmith of note in Flagstaff.

ThomR
09-24-2018, 03:01 PM
My wife just got off the phone with the recruiter for the hospital. The hospital is located n Show Low, AZ. I just checked it out online and looks like a good place to live. Hopefully she gets the job and we are moving by next weekend.

marlin39a
09-24-2018, 03:13 PM
Beautiful area. It has the best outdoor activities in Arizona. You'll be happy there.

Tripplebeards
09-24-2018, 03:21 PM
I’ve elk hunted there. Pretty area. You just have to drive along way to get to anywhere it seemed like to me. I have friends in Goodyear and predator hunt there every year. Coyotes there are like mosquitoes here. It may get hot but you don’t have the depressing long cold winters to worry about. I had a buddy smith at the dons years ago and now has moved back to WI and has his own shop. I miss the awesome deals they had there. I picked up a s&w 44mag niteguard there for $450 that was like new.

Greg G.
09-24-2018, 03:31 PM
Went to college in Flagstaff and spent a few years afterwards working for The AZ G&F and The Forest Service there. Go Lumberjacks!!!!

Loved Flagstaff and the surrounding area. Be aware that it seemed to me to be a "college town" in that it was kinda crunchy but there were plenty of natives that still worked in the outdoors for a living. Great place.

Me too! Went to the forestry school there in 1975. Met my wife to be there, married 41 years yesterday. largest Ponderosa pine forest anywhere and at 7000' just the right elevation with snow in the winter and not really that cold. Sedona canyon is close and very nice.

danthman114
09-24-2018, 04:08 PM
I love az. I'm not in the north but Yuma. it is indeed the best state of the 50. its just too hot where I live.

ShooterAZ
09-24-2018, 04:17 PM
My wife just got off the phone with the recruiter for the hospital. The hospital is located n Show Low, AZ. I just checked it out online and looks like a good place to live. Hopefully she gets the job and we are moving by next weekend.

Show Low is in the White Mountain area of Arizona. The town got its name in the 1880's from a poker game. The name of the main street through town is called "Deuce of Clubs". It's really a neat little town, and I'm certain that you and your wife will love it there. Great hunting and fishing there and surrounding area! Best of Luck once again.

square butte
09-24-2018, 04:21 PM
There used to be some great trout fishing around Pine Top and Show Low

Idaho45guy
09-25-2018, 11:50 AM
I lived near Prescott and my favorite area of the state to visit was up around Show Low. Camped and fished a bunch around Blue Ridge reservoir. There are even Bighorn sheep in the area.

If I ever moved back to Arizona, it would be in that area, near Payson. Enough snow to keep the Californians out.

ThomR
09-25-2018, 10:51 PM
My wife should find out tomorrow if she gets the job. I certainly hope she gets it.
On another positive note I'll be getting my work comp settlement this week.

SSGOldfart
09-26-2018, 12:10 AM
I understand that there is a gunsmith of note in Flagstaff.

Yes Sir, Gary Reeder custom guns is located in Flagstaff

Bosshaug
09-26-2018, 12:57 AM
I'm in Show Low. If you are lucky enough to move here shoot me a PM, and I'll show you around. Look up the White Mountain Shooters Association (wmsainc.org). It's our new outdoor range a couple of miles east of town. I'm an RSO there a couple of days a month. Of course you can shoot in the national forests too, as we are in the middle of the Apache Sitgraves NF.

Geezer in NH
09-26-2018, 08:34 PM
I have to ask the OP what is your occupation and work there for You??

Wag
09-26-2018, 09:22 PM
Show Low is one of the most beautiful areas of Arizona. That whole area from Springerville to Payson is spectacular. I'm extremely envious! :-)

--Wag--

ThomR
09-27-2018, 10:27 AM
My wife didn't end up getting the job. She has a phone call scheduled for this afternoon with a clinic in Boise.
As for me, I can do all sorts of work.

Beerd
09-27-2018, 06:36 PM
Idaho is nice, too.

ShooterAZ
09-27-2018, 06:47 PM
ThomR,

Well, sorry that didn't work out for you. It would have been fun to get together and do some shooting, hunting or fishing. When one door closes, another one opens. Wishing you the best of luck Sir.

Beau Cassidy
09-27-2018, 10:10 PM
Sorry the job didn't work out. Things happen for a reason.