PDA

View Full Version : Grammarly: Free Writing Assistant

Grmps
09-17-2018, 01:13 PM
As time passes the memory isn't what it used to be and the connection between brain and fingers isn't the greatest.

I discovered Grammarly: Free Writing Assistant a while ago and it has been a real lifesaver/confidence builder.

The free version checks your spelling and some grammar as you type. :)

Grammarly for Windows https://www.grammarly.com/native/windows

Grammarly for Chrome https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/grammarly-for-chrome/kbfnbcaeplbcioakkpcpgfkobkghlhen?hl=en

Grammarly for Firefox https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/grammarly-1/

Your writing, at its best. https://www.grammarly.com/?q=brand&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=brand_f1&utm_content=229882349899&utm_term=grammarly%20download%20for%20mac&matchtype=e&placement=&network=g&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxIW_o8PC3QIVha_sCh35FQYNEAAYASAA EgL5qfD_BwE

Use a free grammar check and correct mistakes in your text with Grammarly’s online grammar checker. https://www.grammarly.com/grammar-check

The paid version does a lot more but I'm OK with the free version and I'm to cheap to pay for it!

shooter93
09-17-2018, 06:58 PM
I have it and it does work. You do spend some time going back and fixing all the "red highlights"......lol.

frkelly74
09-17-2018, 07:06 PM
If it is one of those gizmo app things that try to anticipate what you want to say and argue with you when you disagree with it then I hate it.

Minerat
09-17-2018, 07:48 PM
frkelly74

No it's one of those things that remembers the differences between their and there, or since and sense, or who and whom and sometimes theirs no way I have any since to remember the difference.:bigsmyl2:

Grmps
09-17-2018, 07:48 PM
It doesn't try to anticipate, It just helps you correct spelling and some grammar. It puts a red line under any of your mistakes/possible mistakes, you hover the mouse over the line and it will show you suggestions to fix it.

smokeywolf
09-17-2018, 07:54 PM
Since I'm not writing reports that will be entered into evidence, I'm a bit hesitant to give legal permission to some outside entity to read and perhaps store a copy of every word I type.

DCP
09-17-2018, 08:06 PM
It works pretty darn good.

JBinMN
09-17-2018, 08:16 PM
Since I'm not writing reports that will be entered into evidence, I'm a bit hesitant to give legal permission to some outside entity to read and perhaps store a copy of every word I type.

Already happens.
;)

NSA
;)

Grmps
09-17-2018, 08:29 PM
What I hate is when I misspell a word so badly that it becomes another real word then I'm SOL :(

mold maker
09-17-2018, 08:43 PM
And it sends you a report card.

frkelly74
09-17-2018, 10:15 PM
On the old ammobrasstraders site I offered a service much like that. I offered to help with correcting spelling and punctuation if the person asking would give me their best guess and include pictures and other hints so I could discern what it was that they were attempting to say. Then in a few days I would respond with my best guess. I got no takers, I guess I was ahead of my time.

Dieselhorses
09-17-2018, 10:20 PM
If you have "lane change alert" in your car then you probably need this. Probably ok but I want to keep my mind working.:mrgreen:

Fishman
09-17-2018, 11:13 PM
I work with some very educated people and some of them could really use this tool. I am not excluding myself either.

Catshooter
09-17-2018, 11:42 PM
It is a very nice program. Easy (for me) to use and very helpful at times.

The thing that did prompt me quit it was that it does indeed store everything you write to a cloud somewhere.

Cat

flyingmonkey35
09-17-2018, 11:51 PM
I use this everyday for my work. I am a computer Anaylst and it has saved my bacon a few times.

It still dose not beat a second set of eyes.

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk

1margarette
09-18-2018, 12:40 AM
I am using it to ensure that my grammar is correct as I am doing freelance writing job. As of now, I am working on revising some content on an online pet supplies shop. I just finished the heated dog beds (http://www.petstreetmall.com/Heated-Dog-Beds/465.html) category and will work on the other pages. This software really helps me a lot.

Beau Cassidy
09-18-2018, 07:19 PM
I needed this about a year ago when writing a business plan. The BBB "coach" told me it looked like it was written by a 5th grader... well I AM from Mississippi...

Grmps
09-18-2018, 07:36 PM
I needed this about a year ago when writing a business plan. The BBB "coach" told me it looked like it was written by a 5th grader... well I AM from Mississippi...

Well, you have to write to the level that people around you will understand :)

I was copy and pasting everything into my word processor, correcting it, then cut and paste back into the forum.

It doesn't catch everything but it does make me feel like I look like less of an idiot on my posts

rl69
09-18-2018, 08:28 PM
Just set it up.in not sure how I'm going to like it, I'm not big on change. It's not red lining for me it changing mistakes.( I kinda wanted it to redline ) I'm using it on a iPad. I don't know will see

rl69
09-18-2018, 09:11 PM
I wonder how this thing knows if it's their or if it is over there house

I guess it doesn't

RGrosz
09-18-2018, 09:29 PM
What I hate is when I misspell a word so badly that it becomes another real word then I'm SOL :(

The grimmer part I guess I don't need. But I do not like the part where I misspell a word and I don't get the correct spelling up in the 'suggestions. Don't know if I need it, what I write with in the forum, underlines my misspelling now. If I get a word so bad no correct spelling shows up, I change the spelling and try again.
Rob

frkelly74
09-18-2018, 09:32 PM
They took their 12 gauge over there to shoot the raccoons, they're all dead now.

Mal Paso
09-18-2018, 10:31 PM
Dang! Thems the same guys what sold me there program sos I cud hang here. That's my grammer there sellin!

Tom W.
09-18-2018, 10:42 PM
I'm still learning this Chrome Book and wondering how to put stuff into the "cloud."

Wayne Smith
07-01-2021, 07:49 AM
If it argues with you about the use of the passive voice I'll not like it. There are times when the passive voice is highly appropriate if not needed - but I agree it is abused as a way to avoid responsibility.

Battis
07-01-2021, 09:38 AM
The BBB "coach" told me it looked like it was written by a 5th grader...
Shakespeare wrote at a 5th grade level. Worked for him.