PDA

View Full Version : How many of you would like to see a Henry Single shot in .22lr?

koger
09-16-2018, 09:24 PM
Several of us were talking recently in these parts, here in KY, and about a dozen guys at a shooting event, all were looking over my recent .223 Henry singe shot, and commenting on how well it shot. We all agreed, that if Henry could produce and sell a .22lr version, with the same barrel, or better yet, a longer heavier barrel, for the same price or less that the centerfire sells for, we would all buy one ASAP! I just got off Henry's website, and they have a tool on their website, to leave an email, discussing what type/caliber of firearm you would ideally like for them to produce. If this interests you, why not go their and leave a note, cant hurt anything! All feedback welcome!

country gent
09-16-2018, 09:53 PM
Neighbor boy had a single shot 22 I always thought was neat little rifle. I believe it was an Ithica made lever action. looked like a scaled down 94 or marlin. the breech block tilted down and ejected the fired cases then it could be loaded. Hammer had to be cocked by hand. It was a really a nice little rifle. Much handier than a break open action would be. A lot had Stevens favorites also. I bet a slightly scaled up favorite to adult size would be a seller also.

Wayne R. Scott
09-17-2018, 04:26 PM
That Ithaca was probably the model 49 saddle gun.

rking22
09-17-2018, 07:44 PM
Nope, not me, and I love 22s. But they need really decent triggers, and should be notably lighter than this Henry. Now, a trimmer one in 32-20 might make me figure out how to fix the trigger :)

3leggedturtle
09-19-2018, 04:13 PM
No, like to see 25/20, 32/20, .30 carbine, 32 s+w long or 32 h+r mag. Todd

Outpost75
09-19-2018, 04:54 PM
I would like to see a really light walking gun under 4-1/2 pounds with 24" barrel in .327 Federal, which could also use .32 H&R Magnum or .32 S&W Long. Midland Backpacker clone of Beretta folder would be logical platform for this.

bedbugbilly
09-19-2018, 06:37 PM
I now a lot of guys like 22LR but I know i wouldn't buy one. I already have a Hery Lever 22 - a great rifle - but after the "shortage", I haven't shot a 22. I found that I would shoot more cartridges in calibers I could reload using lighter boolits (less lead), lighter charges and have just as much fun. There will always be dedicated 22 shooters but there are so many good selections out there for rifles that I don't think they'd sell enough to make it worth worthwhile - but I've been wrong many times in my life.

I'm looking to possibly get one in 308 = primarily because they don't make one in 30-30 - which I can't believe they don't do due to the popularity of the cartridge that's been around a long time. I also would be interested in one in a 32 cal as outpost speaks of. Problem is, they have to limit their selection of calibers and no matter what they make, there will be a caliber that someone wants they don't make.

I haven't had the opportunity to handle one yet but I'm sure the quality is as fine as their other rifles - which to me is a plus. But unless they do something about the trigger pull on them, they are going to miss out on a lot of potential sales. The quality IMHO is too good to have a weak point of a bad trigger.

I smiled when I saw the Ithaca Model 49 mentioned. Boy, did that bring back memories. We had a family owned sporting goods store in our small town when I was a kid - the owners were good friend of my folks. I used to go in their store and bitterly drool over the Ithaca 49s on the rack - I wanted one sooooooo bad. I remember the basic one was about $33.00 or so and the fancier deluxe one, with a gold trigger and hammer IIRC was about $25.00. That was a looooong time ago! I never did get one as I got 50 cents for mowing a lawn and I had better uses for what I earned. I just continued using my Dad's old 1915 Stevens Favorite. Still have the Favorite but haven't shot it in years - think of Dad overtime I look at it though.

rking22
09-19-2018, 07:10 PM
Good point, I change my "wish" to 327fed, but it's gotta go on a diet!

Drm50
09-19-2018, 07:45 PM
You would think some one would make a 32 class rifle, in same price bracket as 22s. I know what a
Walking Rifle is, only we call them cruising pieces. There were a lot of choices in old days with RFs
from 22 to 44 and 25/20s & 32/20s. When walking around in the Eastern woods a lot of guys would
like to have a .25 or .32 cal gun just to put a hole in whatever ails them. A Varmit class 224 cal rifle
is not needed. There were a lot of deer killed with 25rf Stevens and probably bigger stuff out west.
At a gun show one time a guy had a 25acp and 32acp semi auto rifles. They were Dryse of Germany
and pre WW1. I was interested in the 32 until I saw the price tag. Even a little bolt action or single
shot in 9mm would be nice. Closest I had to that was Spanish Destroyer carbine in 9mm Largo. There is a lot of times you would like something with more thump than a 22, but don't need a HV
rifle.

gpidaho
09-19-2018, 07:57 PM
I would like to see a really light walking gun under 4-1/2 pounds with 24" barrel in .327 Federal, which could also use .32 H&R Magnum or .32 S&W Long. Midland Backpacker clone of Beretta folder would be logical platform for this.

That would be my wish also. Gp

uscra112
09-19-2018, 10:10 PM
Agree that what is needed is a "boys' rifle" size single shot in .22 LR, not a fullsize. Admittedly my collection of these delightful little rifles is overflowing the safe, so I'm hardly unbiased, but even for adults, that size and weight rifle is the perfect companion for a woods walk. As thousands proved by buying Stevens Favorites by the carload.

I don't want a new Favorite. A breakopen I feel is a better one for kids, since it can be carried open, the way shotgunners do, so Dad can see at a glance the status of the gun, even from 50 yards away. C'mon, Henry, let's see what you can do!

BTW my "kitchen-door" gun is a rebarreled 1915 Favorite. Quicker to deploy than a bigger rifle when I need to discipline the 'possums, skunks, and raccoons.

Thundarstick
09-20-2018, 07:11 AM
Well, Henry already has someone, or are making a .32 with the proper bore diameter. To be honest, I have an Encore that I could buy a barrel for cheaper, but if the price where rite a 327 would be nice. A big drawback for me is that I can't hunt small game with a center fire rifle per game regulations. :-(

Texas by God
09-20-2018, 09:44 AM
I have no use for a heavy .22 at all. I like Outpost's idea of the walking rifle in .32 caliber and I would use the Yildiz .410 folder as a start.

marlinman93
09-20-2018, 10:42 AM
I'd like to see them offer a much longer, heavier barrel myself. Something that could be used for BPCR matches, or silhouette matches. Maybe even an octagon barrel.

Chill Wills
09-20-2018, 10:51 AM
I'd like to see them offer a much longer, heavier barrel myself. Something that could be used for BPCR matches, or silhouette matches. Maybe even an octagon barrel.

While I agree with you completely, the rules for a replica action that conforms to the American SS rifles of pre 1896 and exposed hammer and their named exceptions would have to be followed. I doubt Henry would ever build one.

marlinman93
09-20-2018, 02:13 PM
While I agree with you completely, the rules for a replica action that conforms to the American SS rifles of pre 1896 and exposed hammer and their named exceptions would have to be followed. I doubt Henry would ever build one.

The Henry design is very similar to other break open rifles built pre 1898, and I see no reason it wouldn't be allowed? The tip up design is very similar to Stevens Tip Ups, and even more so to Wurrflein tip up rifles. Slightly different release on the Stevens, but the Wurrflein is also a top release similar to H&R or Henry.
But even if the sanctioning bodies are that nit picky, I still think most silhouette matches would accept it. I also think a good number of shooters would prefer the option of a heavier round or octagon 30" barrel.

Chill Wills
09-21-2018, 11:39 AM
I'm not convinced. I shoot these games (a lot). I run the matches. I hear this logic about non-qualifying rifles, equipment and ammo all the time from people that are on the fringe and really don't compete. If a new to the game rifleman is serious about getting in, buying the wrong rifle in the hopes of using it for long is folly. He or she will be buying twice to stay in the game.
We often offer to let someone try the match once but then they can make a choice to get the right rifle or not. This is an age old conversation in every and all shooting venues and disciplines, trap, skeet, highpower, creedmoor or silhouette. It always ends the same.

uscra112
09-21-2018, 12:31 PM
If a competitive break-open is what is needed, Henry should start making replica Maynards.

marlinman93
09-21-2018, 12:36 PM
I'm not convinced. I shoot these games (a lot). I run the matches. I hear this logic about non-qualifying rifles, equipment and ammo all the time from people that are on the fringe and really don't compete. If a new to the game rifleman is serious about getting in, buying the wrong rifle in the hopes of using it for long is folly. He or she will be buying twice to stay in the game.
We often offer to let someone try the match once but then they can make a choice to get the right rifle or not. This is an age old conversation in every and all shooting venues and disciplines, trap, skeet, highpower, creedmoor or silhouette. It always ends the same.

So you guys really are that picky? I understand not allowing guns that might give the shooter an unfair advantage. But being picky and not allowing an entry level gun that nobody should see as a threat seems just petty for no real reason. If a top break rifle made today isn't allowed, then why even allow any clones made today? Seems like a new Browning 1885 without the tangs of the Traditional Hunter, would also be against the rules?

koger
09-21-2018, 12:57 PM
Marlin man you are spot on, this type of thinking is what hurts the shooting sports today! I shot for years in ML competition, on a state, local, and national level, at the NMLRA events, and different range officers see the rules different ways! I had a couple of knock down drag out arguments with them, and came out right every time! I just did not loose my cool and stayed resepectful, and pointed out that another lady shooter was doing the same thing I did, but because she was a well known shooter, they never gave her a second look, and she even came to my rescue, telling them to get lost and let me shoot in peace. I just posted this thread to see what you guys think of a single shot .22, on an entry level rifle. I did not ask about other calibers, or ask you folks to get persnickety about the rules of BPCR-22 matches, as I pointed out that it would be used for informal matches, but could be upgraded to a match level rifle, hopefully! I had 12 guys that are serious shooters, that would buy one in a heart beat, and that is from a small town in KY, I thought the open minded guys and gals who visit this forum would embrace the concept, proved me wrong!

Dan Cash
09-21-2018, 01:30 PM
I am looking for a suitable .22 to loan a couple of neighbor boys ro shooting in our .22 BPCR matches. When Henry announced their single shot, my heart quickened but once released, the urge quickly passed. Too heavy and terrible trigger. I will keep looking or find an older .410 shotgun like an Iver Johnson Champion that is in good shape and have the barrel stubbed or sleved then work on the trigger as needed.

Chill Wills
09-21-2018, 02:53 PM
Marlin man you are spot on, this type of thinking is what hurts the shooting sports today! I shot for years in ML competition, on a state, local, and national level, at the NMLRA events, and different range officers see the rules different ways! I had a couple of knock down drag out arguments with them, and came out right every time! I just did not loose my cool and stayed resepectful, and pointed out that another lady shooter was doing the same thing I did, but because she was a well known shooter, they never gave her a second look, and she even came to my rescue, telling them to get lost and let me shoot in peace. I just posted this thread to see what you guys think of a single shot .22, on an entry level rifle. I did not ask about other calibers, or ask you folks to get persnickety about the rules of BPCR-22 matches, as I pointed out that it would be used for informal matches, but could be upgraded to a match level rifle, hopefully! I had 12 guys that are serious shooters, that would buy one in a heart beat, and that is from a small town in KY, I thought the open minded guys and gals who visit this forum would embrace the concept, proved me wrong!

]Marlin man you are spot on, this type of thinking is what hurts the shooting sports today!
No its not. Consistency is what keeps the match fair and going.

Here is what you can do... Find a range, get on their schedule. Get the targets. Promote the match. Get sponsors. Line up prizes. Have clear written rules, unless you want the gamers to turn it into anything goes. It is huge time commitment but you get the match you want and run it your way.
Problem solved.

When someone else has been through that, they get to say how they run it. Like it or not, that is life.

uscra112
09-21-2018, 04:39 PM
So you guys really are that picky? I understand not allowing guns that might give the shooter an unfair advantage. But being picky and not allowing an entry level gun that nobody should see as a threat seems just petty for no real reason. If a top break rifle made today isn't allowed, then why even allow any clones made today? Seems like a new Browning 1885 without the tangs of the Traditional Hunter, would also be against the rules?

AMEN.

IMHO prohibiting the Henry to a novice shooter smacks of an elitist attitude that no small-time sport like ours can survive for long. Building or buying even a marginally competitive High Wall, Stevens or Ballard will cost three to five times as much as a box-stock Henry. How many new shooters can afford that? Not unless they're independently wealthy they can't. Maybe that's the objective? Like the VSCCA prohibiting replicas, so the rich don't have to rub shoulders with the hoi polloi?

Chill Wills
09-21-2018, 06:07 PM
AMEN.

IMHO prohibiting the Henry to a novice shooter smacks of an elitist attitude that no small-time sport like ours can survive for long. Building or buying even a marginally competitive High Wall, Stevens or Ballard will cost three to five times as much as a box-stock Henry. How many new shooters can afford that? Not unless they're independently wealthy they can't. Maybe that's the objective? Like the VSCCA prohibiting replicas, so the rich don't have to rub shoulders with the hoi polloi?

Do you really believe that? I don't!
Carpenters, plumbers and car salesmen don't want to rub elbows with you???? I think you are just throwing rocks!

You sound like just the man to save the hoi polloi and start an every mans match! I'll come! When do we start?

The truth is we find a way to do what we are motivated to do. We save and spend our discretionary money as we see fit.
Some people just type and throw rocks. That sure brings us together. Internet rock throwing can get kinda competitive for those that don't want to do much else.
I don't think running people down helps much.

marlinman93
09-21-2018, 07:51 PM
I totally agree with rules and consistency. But don't agree when the rules allow copies of older guns that aren't exact copies, while at the same time excluding other guns that are often even closer to approved guns. This smacks of bending the rules to fit those who were involved in making the rules.
I've seen this far too often where someone arbitrarily decides one gun is OK, but another isn't. For instance the idea of having a certain cutoff date, but excluding guns made prior to that date. An example is Sharps Borchardt rifles. Or Full sized Martini. Both excluded simply because they don't have an exposed hammer, even though they make the cutoff date. Silly and arbitrary to my thinking.
Allowing a Stevens Tip Up, but not a Henry or H&R tip up style, even though both have exposed hammers. Or allowing copies of the Winchester 1885, and adding in the Browning 1885 that isn't even an accurate copy. It just looks similar, so it's OK?
Rules should make sense. But rules should also allow new shooters on a budget to shoot more than an arbitrary type of gun, or only one match until they have to buy one that conforms. Yes, we could make up our own matches, and our own rules. And I'd hope if someone does their matches are more open to those who are starting out, and can do so on a budget. I also hope the rules make more sense.

uscra112
09-21-2018, 07:58 PM
Yes, I do. We had just that sort of elitism going on the vintage motorcycle racing scene that I was involved with in the 1980s. The AMA-sanctioned Vintage rulebook was carefully crafted to keep the lower-cost two-strokes from ever competing with the rich guys' AJs and Matchlesses and Harleys. It was so bad that we in New England had our own club which allowed anything made before the cutoff year, no fancy "formulas". OUR club flourished; six races a year, plus we even ran an international series against the Canadians, whose rules were the same as ours. AHRMA ran just one at Loudon, and it only barely filled the grids. 1967 was our cutoff date. One race a newbie showed up with a nearly stock 1970 BMW 750. We let him run. I was passing him in practice on my 250, but he had fun, and eventually became a regular.

BTW the main organizer of the AHRMA group was a rich New York lawyer. Ours was a high school art teacher. (One year we got bud vases as trophies.)