PDA

View Full Version : H&R Trapdoor Questions

Gazz
09-14-2018, 09:28 PM
At a recent auction, I ended up buying a H&R 1873 action and barrel. My original plan was to unscrew the barrel and use it on an original trapdoor that I crushed the barrel (another story) . Anyway, when I got the H&R home I thought why not just drop this in the stock (cut just in front of the rear band) you have and make life a little easier for yourself. The H&R is what I'm guessing is from a deluxe model carbine as it is silver plated (barrel too) and has what I think is cast in place engraving and a two digit sn. However there are no threaded holes on the barrel for the rear sight and since the plan for this is a hunting gun, I think an aperture sight would be preferred in any case considering my old eyes. So how does one mount a aperture sight on a trapdoor? I could not find my original tang screw so I made a new one and left the head of said screw tall, maybe an inch above the tang. At the present I am thinking of just filing a notch in the top of this screw to get an idea of how tall an aperture sight would need to be. Can a tang sight be screwed to the wood and still be repeatable? I do have one that was made for a TC Hawken that could be used if screwing to the wood would work okay. Now I have find the rear band from original and also make up forend extension to make it look right.

Also, are the H&R actions any stronger than the originals? I'm pretty sure the breech block and receiver are cast and probably of an alloy that is a bit tougher. I am also thinking the barrel is probably a better grade of steel too. I do not plan to make this an elephant gun or anything like that as I will only be chasing whitetails with it but just wonder if they are stronger. If they are stout enough for deer, I'm thinking of the 12-15gr Unique loads for it. Thanks for your comments and I'll try to get some pictures up in the next few days.

mazo kid
09-14-2018, 10:40 PM
My opinion is that a Trapdoor is a Trapdoor regardless of vintage. As far as tang sights, they can be mounted directly on the wrist or onto a plate inlet into the wood. Check out smokeless loads for your gun, or use BP/subs. They are plenty potent enough!

Kraschenbirn
09-14-2018, 11:17 PM
Sounds like your H&R was originally one of the 'Officer's Models' (which had a tang sight mounted to the stock wrist) but never saw one factory-plated. My 'cavalry issue' H&R Carbine came with a mickey mouse leaf sight with a folding blade but now wears an original 1884 'C' rear sight (which required a slightly taller front blade). So far as strength, I imagine the metals of your reproduction are stronger but it's still a trapdoor lock-up. Hold your loads to BP pressure levels...or use BP...and you'll be just fine. Using the original carbine load of 55 gr. FFg under a 405 gr. RNFP, at 100 yds. mine will easily hold inside 3" so long as I do my part.

Bill

Gazz
09-15-2018, 11:53 AM
So okay to mount a sight to the wood? I was trying to avoid that but if it is a repeatable and accepted method, I'll give it a try. Going to stay away from black powder for now but thanks for that info!

mazo kid
09-15-2018, 12:10 PM
When you say repeatable....are you going to be removing/reinstalling the sight? If so, I would consider a sight base plate, either inlet or screwed to the wrist Depending on the sight base length, you may be able to drill/tap the tang itself, at least for one hole.

pietro
09-16-2018, 02:43 PM
http://images58.fotki.com/v510/photos/2/36012/11139535/DSC_4643-vi.jpg

Gazz
09-21-2018, 08:16 PM
Thanks for all the help.

My comment about repeatability was based on what would happen if you removed the action from the stock for thorough cleaning and replaced it - would it still be zeroed?

I have the carbine all put together now but did something different for a rear sight. I did think about the TC tang sight I had but it seemed like a lot of machinery right in front of your face for a hunting gun. Since I did not not have a tang screw, I made one with a 1/4-28 male extension on it. Then I made tube with internal 1/4-28 threads, whittled away part of it and drilled an aperture hole through that. There is no adjustment for windage but seems well centered when using a laser bore sighter and I will have to shoot it to find out if I guessed the correct range of elevation. I am not 100% happy with it but will continue to see if I can make it work well enough to hunt with. I will try and get some pictures posted this weekend. I do have another tang sight that may work out if this one does not work out - I was saving it for the Peabody rifle though.