PDA

View Full Version : Sight Aperture?

Muddy Creek Sam
09-25-2008, 10:56 PM
OK, I must admit I am a novice when it comes to tang sights. I just got a Marbles Tang for my 94 Legendary Frontiersman 38-55. How do I figure out which Aperture to order?

Thanks,

Sam :roll:

218bee
09-26-2008, 11:06 AM
In general the small apertures would be for target work and then a large aperture for hunting so you have a wide field of view

Nueces
09-26-2008, 12:16 PM
The Merit disk features an iris-type adjustable aperture, so it can be optimized for your eyes either at the range or in the field. It's small enough to allow snap shooting, too.

Brownells has them. Be sure to order the one threaded for the new Marbles sights.

Mark

KCSO
09-26-2008, 01:00 PM
Depends on what where and at what time yo are shoooting. For hunting I don't use any apreture just peek through the hole and you are close enough and you can still see it at dawn and dusk. For targets or plinking you need to find a hole that gives you a sharp front sight and that varies with light conditions and your eyes. If you start with the Marbles 3 disk set you are good for a starter.

McLintock
09-26-2008, 02:56 PM
That Marbles sight should have come with 3 different apertures, so you shouldn't have to order anymore. I assume from the rifle you're putting it on you're talking Cowboy Long range side matches, so I'd start with the middle size aperture and see how that works and go from there. The side matches generally aren't over 200 yards for the lever guns, and to shoot fairly fast you need a little bigger aperture than say for strictly target shooting. I've got 3 or 4 guns, both lever and single shots, set up with the Marbles sight and I think I use the middle aperture on all of them. Also a bead or post front is all you need in most Cowboy matches as they're faster for repeat shots than an aperture front sight.
McLintock

Muddy Creek Sam
09-26-2008, 04:25 PM
Thanks all,

Got the Tang sight used. No apertures with it. planning on a Lyman 17A front sight with the Lee Shavers inserts. Yes I am shooting Cowboy Long range.

Sam :-D

missionary5155
09-27-2008, 10:25 AM
Greetings Danny Powell (Danville Illinois) taught me some years ago to take the largest hole apeture and solder it shut. Then finding what ever letter drill filled the smallest hole aperture I had.. move to the next size and drill out the leaded one. The just keep drilling the hole larger until I found the hole size I really liked. Flat black paint, black marker, smoke.. whatever to darken it.