PDA

View Full Version : Is there a slow-to-relax recoil pad?

Naphtali
09-25-2008, 10:45 PM
I recently shot a friend's amputated 45-70. His recoil pad did a good job -- almost. I would trigger the shot. The rifle would go "bang." And the rifle would bounce off my shoulder, slowing any possible subsequent shot. Recoil against my shoulder was not unpleasant. But the pad failed to keep rifle and shoulder together.

In the universe of recoil pads, which offer a slow recovery? What I mean is which ones function more like automobile shock absorbers to control movement when absorbing recoil movement and while returning to original condition?

I have not had an opportunity to ask which recoil pad he has installed.

runfiverun
09-25-2008, 10:53 PM
jay griggs used to build a hydraulic type of recoil pad that worked in this fashion.
too bad he has been dead for 10 years now.
his boy may still be making them. good luck.
the limbsaver with the anti-jump in it is a good one. and i am putting it on all of my rifles.
i have it on 5 of them so far.

Naphtali
09-25-2008, 11:20 PM
jay griggs used to build a hydraulic type of recoil pad that worked in this fashion.
too bad he has been dead for 10 years now.
his boy may still be making them. good luck.
the limbsaver with the anti-jump in it is a good one. and i am putting it on all of my rifles.
i have it on 5 of them so far.Thanks for showing me I was not as clear as I wanted to be. I want to avoid a complex recoil absorber, such as the mercury inserts and a hydraulic device as you describe. What I seek is a recoil pad whose composition relaxes slowly. I'm will to sacrifice on the "absorbing" side to gain slowness on the recovery side.

Pitmaster
09-25-2008, 11:49 PM
I've heard Kick Eez recoil pads are good. I'm having one put on now. I don't know if they do what you describe though.

Jon K
09-26-2008, 03:15 AM
Try one of these: The Shooter's Friend
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/
cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat602007-cat20811&id=00092
77221946a&navCount=1&podId=0009277&parentId=cat20811&masterpathid=&navAction=pu
sh&catalogCode=IJ&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20811&hasJS=true

Can be found at other places too.
Works Great.................

Jon

waksupi
09-26-2008, 10:37 AM
We use a lot of the Pachmayer Decellerator pads on heavy rifles. I use them on my personal rifles. They seem to work well.

Naphtali
09-26-2008, 11:42 PM
I went shooting this afternoon. Among the guns we shot were the chopped 45-70. It has a Pachmayr Decellerator installed. My shooting partner is much larger and better muscled than I. I queried him whether he experiences the same bounce-back I do. He does. So it appears safe to write that those using this recoil pad on a hard kicking rifle should experience the rifle bouncing away from the shoulder, slowing subsequent shot.

I know that Mic McPherson installs Kick-Ez (spelling??) pads on his 510 Kodiak Express conversions. All this tells me is that the pad mitigates recoil. I have no idea whether it, too, bounces back.

I wonder whether pads that affix to your shoulder rather than the rifle would do the job?

Doc Highwall
09-27-2008, 12:07 PM
Naphtali, if you do not have a good firm stock weld-cheek weld on the heavy recoiling rifles they have a tendency to bounce out of your shoulder. This is called a loose position and one of the downsides is that the groups open up. This could also be caused by the stock fit like when we see people put see through scope mounts on their guns causing them to raise their head and cheek off the stock to see through the scope. Another scenario of this is in long range black powder shooting you see the people trying to overcome this by using strap on or lace on cheek pieces, you find out quickly that you have to keep the pad tight on the stock. Right now the the recoil pads by LimbSaver are suppose to be the best and is what Remington is putting on all their rifles. By the way, years a go I put a Kick-Ez pad on my 1895S Marlin that I cut down to 16.5" and it works great. The LimbSaver pads are like the next generation of recoil and vibration control by Sims Vibration Laboratory.