PDA

View Full Version : .32 H&R Magnum article in Handloader Magazine this month....

Harry O
09-13-2018, 08:40 PM
Just got my issue today. Went first to the .32 H&R Magnum article (.30-06 Garand article next). A few notes:

1) The author says, "I have been using select +P loads in multiple revolvers for 34 years and have never experienced a single case failure...other than normal cracking that is associated with cases being reloaded many times." Sounds like he got started at the very beginning, but I had a VERY bad time with factory Federal cases splitting full length on the first or second firing for several years. I have talked with many other .32 Mag users that report the same thing. I almost dropped that caliber because of that. Luckily, Starline started making them with brass that did not split and I started gathering other .32 Mags about me (and have been very happy I did).

2) The author says, "Some maximum +P loads exhibited sticky extraction in the Model 331 Airlite Ti." I had the same problem with sticky, but I never tried +P loads in it. I found (through several experiments) that Ti was extremely sensitive to powder/lube residue. Ti is not nearly as slick as steel or even stainless steel. I went to the cleanest powder I knew (W231) and jacketed 85gr Hornady XTP's (no separate lube). That took care of the problem. I do not use dirtier powders or lead bullets with lube on them anymore in that particular gun. I even bought 200 nickel plated brass cases. I am not sure if they extract/eject easier, but it is easier to keep the loads apart that way.

3) The author notes that measured throats and groove diameters vary all over the map, but 0.312" seems to work most of the time. Same for me except for the Harrington & Richardson revolvers. They need a full 0.314". Some of my old S&W's and Colt's from the early 20th Century (in .32 Caliber, but not .32 Magnum) also need a full 0.314". That is why I cast my .32 bullets, but don't size and lube them until I am ready to load.

Other than that, it is a very complete list of loads, that will be of interest to me. I have already seen several that I use on the list.

EMC45
09-13-2018, 08:50 PM
Very neat! Was it Brian Pierce? I like his articles.

I too size all my .32s at .314. My guns gobble them up.

GhostHawk
09-13-2018, 09:11 PM
I had a pair of H&R revolvers, 732 and 733. (blued and nickle) Both in .32sw long.

Nickle ended up going to my shooting buddy as I never could get my wife interested in shooting it.

Blackie is a favorite of mine. Both love their bullets at .314. I have bumped those up to .315 trying to get better fit in Nickie. It did help, but even so the best I was ever able to do was I'd say 3" group at 20 feet.

Blackie on the other hand has been known on a good day to put 6 almost all touching inside a 1" circle.

I've also shot 00 buckshot run through a .314 size die, and those shot well also.

I did finally buy a Ruger New Model Single Six in .32H&R mag, but have yet to fire a factory .32 mag in it.

But it does great with the .32sw longs. Love the 6" barrel and long sight picture.

Them .32's they grow on ya, at least in my case.

Been kinda thinking about a Henry in .327 mag, either single shot or lever would work.

Harry O
09-13-2018, 09:25 PM
Very neat! Was it Brian Pierce? I like his articles.

Yes, it is.

rking22
09-13-2018, 10:24 PM
Well, may visit the bookstore afterall. Maybe things looking up for those magazines!

Green Frog
09-14-2018, 07:25 AM
I’ve read the article after it was called to my attention by Dale53. He and I have an ongoing discussion over the relative merits of the 32 H&R Mag-wannabe and the 327 Federal (true) Magnum. Now I’ll have to load up a bunch of Brian’s suggested H&R loads to compare them with similar loads in the longer cases. Oh the humanity of it! :roll:

For the record, I’ll be doing most of my load testing in my Ruger BH 327 FM eight shooter. I’ve got plenty of reserve strength in that to wring out whatever high performance loads I want to play with. If I’m limiting myself to mild stuff, I’ll use 32 S&W L brass so I can use it in all of my smaller guns. Why did I buy that 32 H&R brass again?? :coffee:

Froggie

JoeJames
09-14-2018, 09:36 AM
That just tears it! I had been buying my Handloader magazines at Kroger, but now they are in on the feminization campaign with the other lefty loonies, I have been without Handloader.

Harry O
09-14-2018, 10:23 AM
GhostHawk: Most of my H&R's are .32 S&W Long, but I do have one in .32 H&R Magnum. All of them shoot about the same. Better than your Nickle, but not as good as your Blackie. They don't shoot as well as my S&W's, but back when all I could afford was an H&R, it did well enough for me. I never tried sizing to 0.315" since none of my moulds cast that large. A 0.314" sizer just barely touches most of the bullets I cast. I use 0.312" for my S&W's and Rugers in .32 Mag.

Dale53
09-16-2018, 03:17 PM
The particular article in Handloader by Brian Pearce that is the topic of this thread is just flat excellent! I consider the performance envelope of the .32 H&R to be near perfect. Excellent results at target velocities as well as at “Magnum” velocities (100 gr. Jacketed bullet at 1300 fps).

I have shot thousands of loads through the .32 H&R revolvers I have owned. Almost all of the loads have been with my home cast bullets. I have gravitated to a nominal 100 gr. Cast bullet at 800-1000 fps for uses both on the range and in the field. The performance on edible small game has been exemplary. The accuracy on the range is under an inch at 25 yards.

I have owned a Ruger Single Six, and a Ruger SP101. Both were excellent. I still have my S&W Model 631 (the near perfect kit gun) and my S&W Model 16-4. They have been EXTREMELY satisfying.

FWIW,
Dale

EMC45
09-16-2018, 03:23 PM
You guys forced me to buy it. It is a good one. The Wadcutter article is good too.

Harry O
09-16-2018, 05:09 PM
One of the things I found interesting about this article is mentioning +P loads for the .32 H&R Magnum. I have known about +P loads since Skeeter Skelton wrote a couple of articles about his loads and a Ruger Super-Single-Six. But at just short of 40,000psi, they might have really been +P+ or maybe +P+++++. The lawyers for whatever magazine it was written in (maybe Shooting Times) made Skeeter retract his loads in writing the very next month. The meeting where that decision came down would have been an interesting one to listen in on. You did not have to read between the lines to tell Skeeter was not at all happy with the decision, but he went with it. Anyway, this article mentions sane +P loads for Rugers.

I did not use them until I got my own Ruger and even they were considerably short of Skeeters loads. Still, loads that I believe to be in the 28,000psi or so range are really nice in that gun. Accurate and sporty with plenty of sight distance on the 6-1/2" barrel. After I got a Ruger SP-101, I found that it could take those loads, too (but, using 2400 powder, it can also double as a flame thrower with its short barrel). I do not use those loads in any other .32 H&R gun I own. Stock power loads are more than good enough for punching paper.

Way back when, when all I could afford was a 4" H&R solid frame revolver in .32 Long, I had +P loads for it that were somewhat close to what later became stock Factory .32 H&R Magnum loads (there was very little accurate information on pressure back then, but I never blew the gun up). Still it was more than enough for a teenage me to take rabbit and squirrel. Nowadays, I don't know what the .32 H&R Magnum loads will do with small game because all the places I hunted are now well within the City and surrounded by buildings. Land outside the current City is posted or permission is routinely refused. Besides I cannot walk for hours over moderately rough terrain like I used to. Still, it is a fun cartridge and I have a variety of different guns (each with its own personality) to try it in.

It is a fun cartridge. I wish I had it (and the money to use it), 50 or so years ago.

roverboy
09-16-2018, 05:58 PM
Harry O, I was wondering when somebody would bring Skeeter's loads up. I remember reading that article in Shooting Times. I remember reading, he said that he thought the .32 H&R wouldn't really beat the old .32-20 but, he found out different. His .32 Mag. loads were hot!

Green Frog
09-16-2018, 07:35 PM
Harry O, I was wondering when somebody would bring Skeeter's loads up. I remember reading that article in Shooting Times. I remember reading, he said that he thought the .32 H&R wouldn't really beat the old .32-20 but, he found out different. His .32 Mag. loads were hot!

I had the great opportunity to speak with Skeeter at what I believe was his last public appearance (at an NRA National meeting.) I was eager to get his opinion of building a 32-20 TC Contender for handgun silhouette competition. He was quick to tell me that the 32 H&R was superior to his old stand-by and suggested I go that way. I went on to own a Ruger Blackhawk (Buckeye Special) combo 32 and a S&W Model 16-4 (both of which regretfully I let get away from me :( ) and a low wall Winchester rechambered to that caliber (also long gone :cry: )

So now I have a Ruger BH and a custom S&W K-frame in 327 Fed Mag to handle all the straight sided 32 pistol cases, and no, I don't plan to let them go! Since Skeeter thought so highly of the 32 H&R Magnum wannabe, I just know he would have loved the 327, since he was pushing that kind of performance in the earlier effort at a 32 magnum. OK, Dale53... have at it telling me how wrong I am! I guess I'm going to have to come up to Ohio and show you what's what? :mrgreen:

The Magnumized 32 Frog

Dale53
09-16-2018, 08:01 PM
OK, Dale53... have at it telling me how wrong I am! I guess I'm going to have to come up to Ohio and show you what's what? :mrgreen:

The Magnumized 32 Frog[/QUOTE]

Froggie;
You have an open invitation, as you well know:drinks: One of the neat things about this, each of us can, and has followed our heart, in our choice of cartridge. Even tho’ I am correct in my thinking that THE answer is the .32 H&R [smilie=1:,we can share our affection for the .32’s in general. THAT transends petty differences...

Dale53

GhostHawk
09-16-2018, 08:39 PM
^ Amen brother!

joatmon
09-17-2018, 03:34 AM
Anyone know if that Shooting Times article is online anywhere?
Thanks Aaron

RED BEAR
09-17-2018, 07:04 AM
must get magazine. the wife thinks i have lost my mind. i am on a major 32 kick just can't get enough. 32 sw, longs, hr, and acp . don't have a 327 yet but hopefully in the near future.

GhostHawk
09-17-2018, 08:25 AM
I'm with you Red Bear, thinking about a .32acp next.

Harry O
09-17-2018, 11:54 AM
I don't have a .327 yet, either. However, I know that someday, somewhere, I will find one at a "really good price" and buy it. Then I will spend the money I saved (and much more) on new cases, new dies, new moulds to try, and other things.

I resisted the .32 Long Colt for about 35 years until I ran across a hollow-base bullet mould for it at a really good price. I have probably spent a couple of thousand dollars on that caliber since then, just because I bought a cheap mould for $25.

jonp
09-17-2018, 03:43 PM
I just got that in the mail today. It is odd since I never ordered it but I've gotten the last 2 issues for some reason. They sure are interesting and that article about the 32 H&R has me almost talked into one.

dougader
09-20-2018, 12:27 PM
Does Pearce still list the 100 grain XTP with 11.8 grains of W296 for the 32 H&R mag? He had that listed in a HL mag article from a few years back and I still use it for Single Six loads.

For plinking and practice, it's a Meister 94 grain rnfp with 3.0 - 3.5 grains W231.

I just got a Mihec mold, The Mjolnir, that throws a 130 grain wfn and a 123 grain hp but haven't cast any of those yet.

Harry O
09-20-2018, 09:42 PM
He does not have any W296 loads listed for the Hornady 100gr XTP.

I recently went to W231 powder that duplicates factory loads for my Titanium J-frame. Before that, I had settled on an HS-6 load to duplicate factory loads. Unfortunately, HS-6 (especially with lubed lead bullets) is far too dirty for Titanium.

Early on, I tried just about anything and most worked OK or better (Red Dot, Bullseye, Unique, etc). I stopped using Red Dot and Unique because they don't meter worth a darn. When I was young, I did not have a meter and weighed each and every charge so that did not matter. After I got a meter (actually, I ended up buying two different ones because the first one did so poorly with those powders) that mattered. With testing, I found that the meters were not the problem. The powders were. So I got different powders.

MtnGunner
09-20-2018, 09:42 PM
I’m on the group buy for that mold, but still waiting.

9.3X62AL
09-21-2018, 11:39 PM
I remember the data that Skeeter Skelton published--and soon retracted--in Shooting Times. Given my experience with the 32 H&R in a Ruger SSM and a S&W Model 16-4, I thought his powder weights might get him into trouble with the liability lawyers that burden society with their snivelings and mopings. And it did.

I have yet to pick up Handloader to read the article. The best source for 32 H&R data prior to this Pearce article appears in the RCBS Cast Bullet Manual No. 1, pp. 133. It lists a bullet that I consider the single-best 32 S&W Long/32 H&R/327 Federal bullet design ever birthed--the RCBS #32-98 SWC. I have sent thousands of these castings downrange from my revolvers over the years, from 700-1200 FPS. The bullet has accounted for untold numbers of small and medium game and varmints during this time. I LOVE the S&W M-16-4, and it has been shot A LOT. I am slowly warming up to the SP-101 x 4.2" in 327, but like the 32 H&R I have trouble justifying a velocity over 1100 FPS for most of my uses. The Lyman #313631, a 100 grain SWC/GC, gets most of the work when velocities exceed 1100 FPS. This bullet refuses to shoot well until it is prompted past 1100 FPS, and gets better as it goes faster. I have run it to 1900 FPS in a 32/20 Marlin CCL, but I don't like its pointy form in a tubular magazine. It remains accurate, though--whether at 1900 FPS from the rifle or at 1400+ from the SP-101. I gotta say--those loads in the SP-101 are LOUD, rivaling the report of my 30 Carbine Blackhawk for intensity.

Walks
09-22-2018, 12:06 AM
I just got my HANDLOADER yesterday. Skimmed over the article. Not much new. I take anything Pearce writes with a BIG GRAIN OF SALT.
Look at the article by pure numbers. Allowing just 5 minutes to load the brass & shoot 5 rds for each individual loading, It's about 58 hours just for load testing for the article.
And he writes one column each month for at least 4 different magazines. And one or two articles for each magazine every month.
Where does he find the time to run his big Cattle Ranch.

I worked a month every summer for 5yrs as a teenager, up near FRESNO, CA. It was 6 1/2 days a week. 5am til dark at 8pm. Then you spent another couple hours fixing equipment under the lights in the big shed or working on saddle gear or sharpening tools. The only shooting we did was at the occasional coyote.
And my DAD'S friend, Big Tom was always up before us and went to bed after us.
Just find his stuff hard to believe.

MT Gianni
09-22-2018, 10:43 AM
I enjoyed the article. It showed up in the grocery store aisle yesterday. It shows quite a bit of current data with a lot more cast bullets than most do.
Walks, a friend runs 350 head of cows, coaches football and is involves with basketball at the High School level, volunteers for his church and has done 2 terms on the school board. He had never had a hired man until his son joined him. They run about 800 acres of hay ground and his son spends more time coaching and volunteering than he does. Just saying, you never know about people.

Fishman
09-23-2018, 07:08 PM
I’m thinking bout buying the issue but want to know if there are any loads for 115 cast in there. I’ve used a h110 load of 10.0 grains Pierce wrote about some time ago and really like it but who doesn’t want options.

nockhunter
09-23-2018, 08:50 PM
I have three loads for my Ruger .32 H&R, 3.5g W231, 10.0g 2400, with 100g swc, and 11.5g W296 with100g XTP. All shoot very well, I carry the single six loaded with three each 100g/W231 and 100g XTP/W296, while small game hunting for coyote/fox medicine.

Mike

Whiterabbit
09-24-2018, 01:07 PM
I’ve read the article after it was called to my attention by Dale53. He and I have an ongoing discussion over the relative merits of the 32 H&R Mag-wannabe and the 327 Federal (true) Magnum. Now I’ll have to load up a bunch of Brian’s suggested H&R loads to compare them with similar loads in the longer cases. Oh the humanity of it! :roll:

For the record, I’ll be doing most of my load testing in my Ruger BH 327 FM eight shooter. I’ve got plenty of reserve strength in that to wring out whatever high performance loads I want to play with. If I’m limiting myself to mild stuff, I’ll use 32 S&W L brass so I can use it in all of my smaller guns. Why did I buy that 32 H&R brass again?? :coffee:

Froggie

Wait.

Ruger made an 8 shot 327 federal magnum blackhawk? In a flat top by chance?

Or is this a custom?

dougader
09-24-2018, 02:32 PM
Not a flat top as I recall, but not a custom either.

dougader
09-24-2018, 02:37 PM
I’m thinking bout buying the issue but want to know if there are any loads for 115 cast in there. I’ve used a h110 load of 10.0 grains Pierce wrote about some time ago and really like it but who doesn’t want options.

There are 5 loads with the CP 118 FP, 1 with A7 and 4 with Longshot. This is from a sample online I found and took pics of with my cell phone. Text me if you want or just do an online search for the current issue of Handloader...

PM sent

Doug

Green Frog
09-24-2018, 08:36 PM
Wait.

Ruger made an 8 shot 327 federal magnum blackhawk? In a flat top by chance?

Or is this a custom?

About 5-6 years ago (IIRC) Ruger had what I consider to be a "Stealth Release" of what was a regular production gun, an eight shot Blackhawk in 327 Federal Magnum. There was virtually no advertising, in fact even though I am a somewhat enthusiastic fan of handguns in general and 32s in particular, I didn't really know about it until about the time it was discontinued ("due to lack of interest" I guess.) I'm not surprised you aren't familiar with it. :?:

I found one on Gunbroker and snapped it up, even though I was having my custom S&W Project 616 built. I didn't even know about the two extra rounds until after I had ordered it! I believe that Ruger was in the process of closing out the run of them even as I was ordering mine. A full size Blackhawk is a big gun for the 32, even the 327 FM. Even with two extra chambers, there is a LOT of steel left in that Blackhawk cylinder! :Fire:

Froggie

Thundarstick
09-24-2018, 10:13 PM
I've got one of those eight shooters, them cylinder holes are deep as well, so they can use long long boolits! It's a heavy hoss of a gun that brings the recoil of full house 100gr American Eagle 327FM loads into the 32 auto range! It shoots like a laser to boot!

Green Frog
09-25-2018, 10:45 AM
I've got one of those eight shooters, them cylinder holes are deep as well, so they can use long long boolits! It's a heavy hoss of a gun that brings the recoil of full house 100gr American Eagle 327FM loads into the 32 auto range! It shoots like a laser to boot!

My 327 FM loads using the NOE 314008 reach almost to the front face of the cylinder of my custom S&W K-frame. Not a problem with the BH! That thing is a real stud hoss!! I’ve considered mounting a scope on it, but I figure 8 beans in the wheel is as far from “normal” as I want to get. There was some speculatin’ on the S&W Forum just the other day about how cool it would be to have an 8-shot L-frame in327 FM. I’m waiting, but I’m not holding my breath! :coffeecom

Froggie

Thundarstick
09-25-2018, 11:41 AM
I have two of the GP100s in 327 that I'm pretty sure they could have crammed 8 into had they tried. Have you noticed how many Ruger Bisley 32 H&Rs in unfired condition hit the auctions when the 327 Bisley came out?

Fishman
09-25-2018, 03:44 PM
Well I went to Cabelas to pick up this issue and well, not only did they not have any handloading magazines at all, the only gun mag they had was a solitary issue of guns and ammo. I did however get accosted 4 separate times to sign up for their credit card.

Surprisingly, I found it at the local Barnes and Noble, along with a host of other gun mags. I also got a $2 off coupon at their coffee shop which I’ll give to Mrs Fishman. I haven’t read it yet but I appreciate the OP bringing it to our attention and Dougader for giving me the info I needed to determine if I wanted to buy it or not. It also has an article on suitable powders for the Garand, which is timely as well!

usbp379
05-28-2019, 03:10 PM
Anyone remember the issue number and/or date? I'd like to find a copy and/or a .pdf of the Pearce data somewhere.

Thanks!

Wheelguns 1961
05-28-2019, 04:41 PM
Oct-nov 2018

35remington
05-28-2019, 05:00 PM
Pearce has a number of sons to help with things.

I view the use of lighter loads in the 327 case with little enthusiasm. Velocity variation has been noted as excessive, which is pretty much what I would expect.

usbp379
05-28-2019, 05:14 PM
Oct-nov 2018Thanks.

Not seeing this particular bit of data online anywhere as a .pdf unlike a bunch of Pearce's other data.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Wheelguns 1961
05-28-2019, 05:59 PM
I found a pdf of that issue, but it was incomplete, and didn’t include the .32hrm article.

pakmc
05-29-2019, 05:18 PM
A friend gave me an sp101 6 shot revolver in .327 fed. mag.. to get the load for point of aim I started loading 32 h&R cases with a 115 gr. powder coated bullet. now the gun was shooting to point of aim. I also traded into a GP100- 7 shot(both guns have 4.2 inch barrels(both are SS and double action.). I shoot steel plates with them. the .327 Fed. mag. load is much to strong for me(at my age which is older than dirt)
I load my shells with about the same load as the H&R mag. load. and they work find. these are quite accurate. and you can "stage" the cylinder shooting double action. I'm a Smith man, but these little Rugers are hard to beat(ok, I'd take the smith in a heart beat if I could find one.(A 10 shot smith in .327 ,,,? yes!)
I do hear GB calling me!

usbp379
04-25-2020, 08:42 PM
Here's some info on terminal performance in snub nose revolvers:

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2019/5/30/the-underappreciated-32-magnums/

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

RJM52
04-28-2020, 07:48 AM
Can't tell you how many .32 H&R Mags I have had but it has to be a dozen....and all have gone down the road... When the .327 came out I really bonded with it but again ended up with three H&Rs...

Was looking to convert a Colt New Frontier .357 Magnum to .327 and just decided to sell it and the three H&Rs off (16-4, S-S blue and S_S stainless Birdsgead) off and but what I really want....a Freedom Arms with a 4.25" barrel to go with one I have with a 6.5" barrel....

...no more H&R brass in the house....

Bob

RJM52
04-28-2020, 07:53 AM
pakmc....maybe you would like this .327 even though it only holds 6 rounds....

Dale53
04-28-2020, 09:28 AM
RJM52;

"...no more H&R brass in the house...."

You, sir, have my sympathy! A household with no .32 H&R Mag revolvers or H&R Mag cases is a household in need of serious help. Maybe we can talk the White House into adding stimulus money to those in such dire need!:bigsmyl2:

We all have different needs and wants, but I consider that the home cast and reloaded .32 H&R to hit the "sweet spot" of .32's. "Just enough and not too much".

But-t-t, that's just me...

Dale53

onelight
04-28-2020, 03:16 PM
pakmc....maybe you would like this .327 even though it only holds 6 rounds....

I like :mrgreen:

sixshot
04-28-2020, 10:29 PM
Me to!!

Dick

Larry Gibson
04-29-2020, 05:13 PM
Was at the range one day with my Ruger Single Six 32 H&R (original run) and had a guy ask me just how well the 32 H&R cartridge could shoot. He bet me $5 his S&W M19 could out shoot it. I used a center hold and put this cylinder full into the bull at 25 yards. He just handed over the $5...…

Dale53
04-29-2020, 05:52 PM
Good shooting, Larry!

I LOVE the story!!!

Dale53

Jeff Michel
04-29-2020, 06:04 PM
He got a pretty good lesson and it only cost him five bucks.:mrgreen:

onelight
04-29-2020, 08:31 PM
Excellent shooting !