PDA

View Full Version : Frankfort Arsenal Platinum Series powder measure

Love Life
09-13-2018, 06:00 PM
I got a Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series powder measure in the mail today. I must say that I am quite impressed. Build quality is quite decent.

Cast frame with other metal parts. Comes with a solid metal stand, and a ledge
Mount. No play in the drum to body mating, and it has a micrometer adjustment for the powder charge.

For $64.99 I am quite impressed with what you get. I’ll be running a pound of unique through it after supper.

AbitNutz
09-13-2018, 06:14 PM
Considering it comes with a stand it does seem quite a value. The stands alone a a small fortune. It looks like it's the same rotary drum design as the vast majority of the powder measures. If it's as accurate as the RCBS, Hornady, Redding, etc....

RCBS, Hornady, Redding and the like all make decent equipment and have incredible warranty's. It doesn't seem like no matter how you abused the poor product they'll still replace it or fix it for you...and that may be why they cost so much more.

I wonder if you ran over the Franfort measure with your pickup truck if they would replace it?

Love Life
09-13-2018, 06:18 PM
I can give it a try!!

Green Frog
09-14-2018, 06:57 AM
Pictures please... catalog illustrations I have seen don’t really reveal much. :-?

Froggie

Love Life
09-14-2018, 07:59 AM
Any specific parts you want close ups of?

jmort
09-14-2018, 08:04 AM
Frankford Arsenal have been producing winners at decent prices. Their hand primer, de-primer, FART, etc have been great tools. Use a lot of Unique so very interested in your results.

marek313
09-14-2018, 09:47 AM
I've been using Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series powder measure for over a year now and I love it. I dont have any problems with quality and everything feels solid metal and not cheap plastic. I use small Lee auto drum on my turret but I have this Frankford one attached directly to my bench so I tend to use this one for rifle rounds mostly as it holds much more powder. Its accurate and consistent from small to large charges.

One things to point out is that its quite large and much bigger and heavier then Lee auto-drum. Its designed to be used alone and not mounted on top of any press.

Love Life
09-14-2018, 09:56 AM
Absolutely. This thing is heavy and solid. It is quite large as well.

Minerat
09-14-2018, 10:00 AM
Tell you something else about Frankfort Arsenal customer service. I broke the large case collette on their hand deprimer and sent an email about buying a replacement. They responded asking for mailing address and sent a new one, no charge. About 5 days from email to delivery and nice to deal with.

OFFSHORE
10-08-2018, 04:39 PM
I got a Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series powder measure in the mail today. I must say that I am quite impressed. Build quality is quite decent.

Cast frame with other metal parts. Comes with a solid metal stand, and a ledge
Mount. No play in the drum to body mating, and it has a micrometer adjustment for the powder charge.

For $64.99 I am quite impressed with what you get. I’ll be running a pound of unique through it after supper.

I'm looking at buying a new powder measure. . .how has your new one worked out? Have you been able to test for accuracy of the drop with various powders yet and what types of powders have you ran through it so far? Thank you.

abunaitoo
10-08-2018, 05:53 PM
Except for the color, it looks exactly like my old Midway powder measure.
I think it was made by Redding at the time.
It's a good measure.
Doesn't work well with very light loads, even with the small pistol adapter.
Price is right.

jmort
10-08-2018, 06:29 PM
It do look like a Redding measure.

OFFSHORE
10-08-2018, 06:29 PM
Except for the color, it looks exactly like my old Midway powder measure.
I think it was made by Redding at the time.
It's a good measure.
Doesn't work well with very light loads, even with the small pistol adapter.
Price is right.

Thank you for the reply. when you say a "light load", what do you mean? The lightest powder drop I shoot is 5.5 grains. How is it with stick powders in the 55 to 75 grain range. . .do you know?

OFFSHORE
10-08-2018, 06:32 PM
It do look like a Redding measure.

Yes, is sure does. From the appearance and construction reviews that is what is making me think "Redding" as well. Need to investigate this item more.

Moonie
10-13-2018, 04:06 PM
Looks like they have an electronic auto powder measure coming out soon...

abunaitoo
10-13-2018, 05:42 PM
My midway came with two measures.
One for rifle and one for pistol.
Rifle one works fine.
Pistol one, not so much.
Don't remember how low a charge it get inconsistent.
For light charges, I just went back to the Lee disc.
Faster and more consistent.

Livin_cincy
10-13-2018, 10:59 PM
Any updates on it ?

Redding is known for making different measures for different applications. So you choose the measure based on what you are loading.

How does this do with lite pistol loads and the different types of powders ?

I really just wish the OEM's would just make videos showing how their products work for the different choices a reloader has to make when choosing.

mdi
10-14-2018, 01:03 PM
Sorta on topic. Several reloading equipment vendors buy their products and rename them, putting their own name on them. A well known example is the vendors selling Ohaus scales under their own name (not a bad thing). I wonder who actually made these FA powder measures (and the Redding and Midway)?

Livin_cincy
10-14-2018, 02:45 PM
Sorta on topic. Several reloading equipment vendors buy their products and rename them, putting their own name on them. A well known example is the vendors selling Ohaus scales under their own name (not a bad thing). I wonder who actually made these FA powder measures (and the Redding and Midway)?

Let me call the Russians Monday morning and get back with you...

mdi
10-15-2018, 12:06 PM
Let me call the Russians Monday morning and get back with you...

??? :roll:

Not sure about this post, but it is common practice for a company to sell an item, under their own name, that was manufactured by a different company. With guns, it's been going on for many years; Sears (Savage, Marlin, High Standard) and Montgomery Ward (Mossberg, Marlin ans Stevens) and there are others. Today many tools/equipment is manufactured by one company, renamed and sold by another (scales, presses, powder measures, etc.)...

mold maker
10-16-2018, 11:35 AM
Home Depot, Lowes, and WalMart commonly buy name brand products built to a price point and rebranded.

troyboy
10-16-2018, 03:28 PM
It would be very interesting to know who manufacturers what for whom.