PDA

View Full Version : Best Rifle Sight?

Hickory
09-13-2018, 07:36 AM
Yesterday I was going to test some loads for my Marlin 336 that received a caliber change last year to a 38-55.
I realised that my eyes have changed over the last few months and I have a hard time focusing on target, front sight and rear sight. I put on a low power Redfield scope and was left with no time for shooting.
I don't really want a scope on this rifle for hunting but would prefer open sights for compactness and maneuverability.

So, my question is this to those of you who have found themselves in my position; What's a good alternative?
Peep sights or reflex dot sight?

Tatume
09-13-2018, 08:07 AM
My preference is for receiver mounted aperture sights. I don't like tang sights as they interfere with comfortable use and carry of the rifle. Receiver mounted aperture sights are also safer, as they are not in close proximity to the eyes. With my better rifles I can shoot MOA with aperture sights. There are many varieties, all good. Prices run from under $40 for a Williams Guide, to much more.

Having several apertures that you can swap in helps. When it is bright go smaller, when gloomy larger is better. There are also adjustable apertures available, in particular by Merit.

pworley1
09-13-2018, 08:08 AM
I went to the peep sight to help focus.

Themoose
09-13-2018, 08:21 AM
I have been having the same issue... put some peeps on rifles, but cannot afford to put on all... I had my optometrist help me with bow sight and changed my distance setting on progressive lens to help... something I just tried at home for free... saw an ad for EyePal.... simple disc with small hole that acts as peep...I took a piece of black tape and put a small hole in it and placed in position for using mounted rifle... and was very impressed at how my front, back, and target came into focus... it is worth trying... google EyePal and there are some video's... I ended up and ordered a combo set(rifle and bow/pistol)

tazman
09-13-2018, 09:32 AM
I have the same problem only worse. I can no longer use peep sights to help clear things up.
In my case, optical sights are the only cure.
Low power scopes work as they allow a fast acquisition of the target and still give a good aiming point.
The reflex dot is problematic for me. I sometimes have issues getting it to show up properly for me or the dot is just too large. There is also the battery issue. If a battery is going to fail, it will do it at the worst possible time.

MostlyLeverGuns
09-13-2018, 09:41 AM
If I am 'woods bumming', I carry a rifle with a peep/receiver sight. My wife and I can both hit a well-lit 8" red square with them from a solid field position at 200 yards. If I am carrying a rifle to kill something, it will wear a scope, the advantages in the field far out weigh the slight carrying inconvenience. The early morning, late day, bad light issues and finding that 10" hole through the timber at 60 yards to put down a bull elk or buck muley make the advantages worth the 'inconvenience'. I can think of multiple times where the light kept me from shooting with peep/open sights so unless it is raining or snowing hard I carry a scoped rifle. Down to about 15 feet I've had no trouble finding game in a scope set on 3x.

MostlyLeverGuns
09-13-2018, 09:42 AM
I forget, my wife and I are closer to 70 than 65 years old.

Wayne Smith
09-13-2018, 09:54 AM
I shopped eBay for reciever sights for my 336. Have a scope on my 36G. Out to 100 yds with an adequate target I don't see a huge amount of difference, but I'm just beginning on this vision thing. Opthomologist told me my left eye cannot be corrected beyond 20/30. Cataracts on both eyes, the left worse than the right.

twidpa
09-13-2018, 09:58 AM
My old eyes prefer tang peeps and lyman globe inserts up front.
T

MT Chambers
09-13-2018, 02:02 PM
Skinner peeps with their brass front sight, and you gotta get the right height front sight, but once you do...look out!

Themoose
09-13-2018, 02:30 PM
I put a set of Skinners(complete with orange fiber optic front sight) on a Henry Big Boy... haven't been able to try it out due to my wife's illness and recent passing... plan on getting back to shooting once I can get a better grip on my situation. But, going back to post, the Skinner looks like it should be a great hunting sight.

Texas by God
09-13-2018, 02:31 PM
I prefer receiver sights on lever actions with a bead front. I use binocs for spotting and judging antler spread. The Lyman I bought from a member here is so much nicer than the Williams- I'm looking for one to fit the Win/Jes 38-55! That's my 36G 30-30 with the Lyman 66LA.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180913/1f65ff0520ede9cc848227dea5c97631.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180913/5230c64df381ae7075d96c3254d58ba4.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Larry Gibson
09-13-2018, 02:43 PM
Properly mounted scout scope (1.5X Burris) works for me as does the low mounted regular scope (2.5X Weaver). The M94 Carbine also has a Lyman receiver sight on it.

Edward
09-13-2018, 06:08 PM
My 50" s vintage Marlin waffle top was D+T by original owner so it was no problem putting a Leupold 4 power on it . The fact is once Jesse did ihis thing transforming it into a 38-55 from a 30-30 it tend "s to interest me .So much that tomorrow it is going to tuned in again ,cause I can :bigsmyl2:

KMac
09-13-2018, 10:01 PM
I have been having the same issue... put some peeps on rifles, but cannot afford to put on all... I had my optometrist help me with bow sight and changed my distance setting on progressive lens to help... something I just tried at home for free... saw an ad for EyePal.... simple disc with small hole that acts as peep...I took a piece of black tape and put a small hole in it and placed in position for using mounted rifle... and was very impressed at how my front, back, and target came into focus... it is worth trying... google EyePal and there are some video's... I ended up and ordered a combo set(rifle and bow/pistol)

Just put hole in a business card and held it up over my right eye of my glasses and dang if it doesn't clear everything up when it gets into the right position. The rear sight is usually so blurry I can barely see it. The rear sight was focused along with the front sight and what I was aiming at. I think I am going to order that Eyepal and give it a try.

frkelly74
09-13-2018, 10:13 PM
i have rigged up a couple of my 22 remingtons ( the 521 and the 514 ) with a red fire sight front site with an aperature rear sight and find it works pretty well. I put a 3 to 9 scope on my 513 and made it into a varmint rifle for when the raccoons get into the chickens.

09-13-2018, 10:39 PM
Same / same as you guys with the aging eyes. More & more I rely on scopes for good shooting. I have a couple red dots, too. My buddy has a red dot on his T/C Scout rifle and it is one of his more prolific meat makers.

Hick
09-14-2018, 06:46 PM
I have fixed focus lenses in both eyes (cataract surgery). I can see great at distance but everything close to the rifle is fuzzy. I use peep sights and then a globe sight or something similar on the front. That way I look through two holes and the target is crisp and clear. Did you know that the head of a 45 cal pistol case makes a great peep sight? The flash hole is just the right size. My 32WS Win 94, Lee Enfield and Argentine Mauser all have custom home-made sights that I built just so I could match them to what my eyes can handle.

Texas by God
10-23-2018, 06:30 PM
I have since discovered that my Lyman Model 66 receiver sight will not work with the Marlin 36g dovetail front sight unless I purchase and obscenely tall one. Since this Marlin is so accurate, I have decided to scope it. Luckily I have a weaver K4 with a post recticle that works perfectly for this purpose.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181023/d179c3bd0852efe9131e801bf7b3375e.jpg

Shawlerbrook
10-23-2018, 06:38 PM
Skinners are great, well made peeps, but a vintage Redfield is the best of both worlds, looks and function.

beemer
10-23-2018, 06:49 PM
I have a Marlin 1895 that I set up with a Marbles tang sight, it is accurate but awkward and uncomfortable not to mention delicate. I ended up with a Williams peep that I liked much better. My eyes went also so I put a scope on it. I got new glasses last week but don't know how it will work out yet.

Texas, I have a high power scope on my 336A to work out loads. As soon as I get that done I have a K6 for it. Some rifles just look right with a blue steel Weaver.

Dave

M-Tecs
10-23-2018, 07:08 PM
I am a big fan of receiver sights. They help but depending on your eyes they may not work for you. Red dots tend to work for everyone but for hunting I prefer scopes.

Drm50
10-23-2018, 10:46 PM
I too prefer reciver sights on my deer rifles. I think a reciever sight in relation to front sight must be
on individual bases on height of front sight. I have 4 Marlins with Lyman 66s. I did change sights but
not because of height. The 39 and 94 both have ramps and were ok with stock fronts & Lyman 66.
My 1895 is the rifle and has sight dovetailed into barrel , as does my Marauder 336. My Lyman 66s
are the older steel models, do the new ones have a thicker beam that causes from sight to be higher? I have 2 turn of century Marlins a 97 & 94 rifle that I have tangs for but don't mount them
because I don't like them for hunting. I have reciver sights on several other rifles too. I recently got
a 99 Savage in 250/3000, 1950 manufacture. I have a couple tangs for 99s but am looking for a
reciever sight for it. I have never owned 99 with reciever sights and want something that isn't bulky.
Rifle tang is factory tapped for tang and is D&T for scope bases. I don't know what to get.

Texas by God
10-23-2018, 11:53 PM
Skinners are great, well made peeps, but a vintage Redfield is the best of both worlds, looks and function.I'm picking up what you're laying down.
I just got two!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181024/429b1da8b8e01d6fc1b98be34de3711f.jpg

Texas by God
10-24-2018, 12:00 AM
The Lyman 66LA I took off the 36G is an all steel one but I don't think it's real old. I went with a taller dovetail front sight and was still too high at 100 yds. I think it must be meant for the 336 with its ramp front sight.

Lloyd Smale
10-29-2018, 06:43 AM
ive like receiver sights. Ive got a number of Williams and lymans. Like the all steal lymans better but the Williams do the job too.

robg
10-29-2018, 07:57 AM
Our range is an old railway tunnel .I can't see the front sight with peep or open sights ,out in the day light no problem so I use scopes on all my rifles .my new favourite is a Nikon 2-7 32 on my slb marlin ,not too bulky and a great crisp clear view

Hickok
10-29-2018, 10:09 AM
I really wonder how good these would be. Peeps don't work for me anymore.

https://seeallopensight.com/

Rick Hodges
10-31-2018, 09:17 AM
Peeps work and the Williams 5D series are reasonably priced. I have them on my Marlin 1895 GS as back ups to the Leupold 2.5x Scout scope. Yeah they look like hell but once you get used to it the Scout scope system works really well, and it opens up the first and last half hour of legal shooting time when Irons and Peeps are just not visible.

popper
11-01-2018, 02:39 PM
If you go SeeAll, get the triangle reticle. They work good, a lens that focuses on a reticle so head position has no effect but magnifying glasses mess with it. Also no trajectory marks like a scope. No problem making small groups @ 50 with BO pistol. Works good at dusk, took it on a pig hunt and it worked when I could barely see where I was walking. I changed to reflex on the pistol for pigs, they move too fast as I found out - 5 hinney shots, hit it but no pig. I like mine but it doesn't fit my intended use so it's on the shelf. Some have indicated they need a high riser to get them to work by it was OK on my 336. Don't have the SeeAllNite version that uses tritium to illuminate the reticle.

marlin39a
11-01-2018, 02:47 PM
Marbles tang mounted peep sights work for me. They come with 3 apertures. I have them mounted on a Marlin 39A, Winchester 92, and a Rossi 92.

sghart3578
11-01-2018, 10:20 PM
I have aging eyes and I have recently swapped out the Skinner peeps on my 1894CS and went back to the stock sights.

At this stage they seem to work better for me.

Steve in N CA

Hardcast416taylor
11-04-2018, 12:50 PM
The 2 bits of advice I would pass along are as follows. With any good peep sight - remove the aperature screw in disc. Your eye will automatically center the front sight and you will see it better. As far as not wanting a scope, find a very low power shotgun scope of 1 or 1 1/2 or 2X for quick eye acquiring.Robert

Texas by God
11-13-2018, 12:06 AM
Vortex had a 1x scope that worked in the house. I put it on an AR for HD and got talked out of it, thinking I'd get another. Discontinued!