PDA

View Full Version : Finally got back into it

scotner
09-11-2018, 02:33 PM
After "meaning to" get some casting done for over a year now I finally got something done the last few days. Two motivating factors here. First, I was almost out of my 240 grain boolits for the 300 BLK. Another reason is I have a six cavity Lyman 45 mold that has been on loan from a friend for 2 years now and I need to get a stash made from that mold so I can return it.

I finally got a dedicated casting bench built so I got all of my equipment together in one place. This is much less daunting a task than having to round up everything and clear a spot to set up. Attached picture is the results of several casting sessions over the last few days. One more round with that 45 mold and I can probably return it.

Rug480
09-11-2018, 02:51 PM
looks great, those 300blk look like bad medicine!

lightman
09-11-2018, 09:15 PM
Thats a nice pile of bullets! Work and life caused me to get away from some of my hobbies a few times. It makes you feel good to get back into them.

LenH
09-12-2018, 09:08 AM
I have to cast out side under a porch. So I have to take everything out there and set it up, but when I do I cast all day.

I have 8, 6, 5, 4, 3 & 2 cavity molds. The 8, 6 & 5 cavity molds are pot drainers so the sessions are delayed by refilling the pot. I put a cheap
cake pan on the hot plate to warm up ingots in because there is a fine line between warm ingots and a runny mess all over the hot plate and the bench.

scotner
09-13-2018, 03:36 PM
looks great, those 300blk look like bad medicine!

The 300 BLK is what really got me back into casting this time. There is just something about ringing a steel plate at 200 yards with a suppressed tire weight.

Thats a nice pile of bullets! Work and life caused me to get away from some of my hobbies a few times. It makes you feel good to get back into them.

I finally retired several years ago and now have time for the important things. I just have to get my priorities straight.

I have to cast out side under a porch. So I have to take everything out there and set it up, but when I do I cast all day.

I have 8, 6, 5, 4, 3 & 2 cavity molds. The 8, 6 & 5 cavity molds are pot drainers so the sessions are delayed by refilling the pot. I put a cheap
cake pan on the hot plate to warm up ingots in because there is a fine line between warm ingots and a runny mess all over the hot plate and the bench.

My wife brought a lot of her mother's furniture home and bought a 10x16' storage building to keep it in until my daughter had a place to put it. While I was painting the floor and wiring the building for lights and a receptacle or two my wife approached me with a proposition. She asked if I may want to move all of my reloading stuff to that building and store the furniture in the basement. ALL of my stuff in one location with a custom built bench and overhead shelves? Hmmm, let me think about it...OK! Last week or so I added another 10' bench on the other wall of the shed and permanently moved all of my casting goodies to one spot.

Walter Laich
09-14-2018, 12:03 PM
I put my casting, sizing upside down press, shotgun shell sizer and shotgun press on a rather large rolling table.

just rool it out under the carport and good to go