PDA

View Full Version : Fall Colors & Grouse

sixshot
09-09-2018, 03:39 PM
Made about a 15 mile loop on the 4 wheeler yesterday afternoon to check out one of my old grouse hunting spots. This area doesn't have much water in it but most years there are Ruff Grouse, Blues & Forest Grouse but the last couple of years we've had a bad hatch because of a wet spring & not many chicks have survived.
Some friends told me they have been seeing some birds this year so I thought a little trip would be worth it, even if it was just to see some of the fall colors.
This ride has quite a change in elevation, probably something like 5700 ft up to about 7,000 ft or close to it. Near the top is usually where you find the big Blue Grouse. Anyway, I got a few nice photo's but only saw one Grouse & one shot with my much used 32 maggie 7 & my favorite load of 3 grs of WST with the 100 gr SWC.
On the way out I passed this sheep camp, most of these guys are from Peru, although some are Basque. I stopped & took a photo of his camp & a quarter mile away was a water tanker for the sheep. As I was pulling away I looked up on the ridge 300 yds away & 2 of those huge Great Pyrenees guard dogs were bearing down on me & running hard.
I sped up a bit but these things are fast for their size, one of them almost cut me off & I had to really hit the throttle to pull away from them. I don't know if he would have bit me or if he was just curious, I didn't want to stop & find out! This is the second time in 3-4 years I've been chased by one of these big dogs, they are huge! No time for photo's, I was in a hurry!
Notice the excellent Ferminator front sight!

https://i.imgur.com/fAmwMhih.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/qf8Q1S2h.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/rmkcAVJh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/3Fw3vuzh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/20Pc4XTh.jpg

Dick

Wolfer
09-09-2018, 04:47 PM
I love that western country. Love grouse also. That's a pretty nice revolver you have there too.
I didn't get to go elk hunting this year. A couple hunting buddies just got back. They were elk hunting with stick and string but using their 45 colts on the grouse. Didn't make contact with the elk but had a non legal bull within 5 yds. They ended up with 12-15 grouse. I had loaded their ammo. The lee 255 RF with 8 gr Unique. This is my favorite 45 cal grouse load. Very accurate and punches a clean hole without tearing up much meat.

It's always good to see your stories Dick.
Woody

MrWolf
09-10-2018, 10:29 AM
Heh, you are talking about my puppy! 226906

Name is Ruger and is 15mos and a little over 100lbs. His sire weighs 180lbs. Great Pyrenessee are great dogs and he is my buddy and we go everywhere together.

Thumbcocker
09-10-2018, 07:25 PM
Are those holly grips?

sixshot
09-10-2018, 11:50 PM
Yes those are Holly, I make lots of them. I had that pair on my OM Ruger 41 maggie for a long time. Used it on a feral hog in Texas back in 2006 so I had a guy engrave a hog on it while we were wintering in Bandera. Now they are on my 32 Maggie. That's the original finish from 2005.

Dick

nagantguy
09-11-2018, 12:43 AM
Great wheel gun stories and photos; thanks!

Shawlerbrook
09-11-2018, 06:45 AM
Beautiful ! Truly God’s country.

Cheshire Dave
09-11-2018, 12:42 PM
Where did you get the front sight? I recently got a Ruger Bisley 6 1/2 in in 32 H&R and it needed a taller front sight. Called Ruger and the nice clueless lady said they only made 1 sight. So I ended up putting a "V" rear insert and a ramp with a Marbles brass bead front to get the right height. I would prefer a Flat front sight like yours. It looks taller then standard. Hope to get a grouse with mine someday. I just got a 100 grain RCBS clone from Arsenal molds and will try your favorite load. Thanks.

Reverend Al
09-11-2018, 01:51 PM
There is nothing that I enjoyed more than hunting grouse, especially those lovely big "Blue" grouse! Unfortunately these days my knees and back are totally ruined. Back in the day I would hike around in the bush for miles with my dog and my favorite SxS 20 gauge shotgun ... these days I couldn't make it more than about 100 yards. When I lost my last German Shorthaired Pointer about 4 years ago I didn't replace him since I just can't keep up to an energetic dog any longer, but I have MANY fond memories of chasing the wily grouse ...

hpbear101
09-11-2018, 04:02 PM
Went grouse hunting with my 86 year old dad a couple weeks ago. We were each shooting 1st gen Colts in 38-40 and managed to shoot 4.

white eagle
09-11-2018, 07:27 PM
you are livin the dream Dick

sixshot
09-11-2018, 11:26 PM
Those excellent sights are made by my good buddy Fermin Garza, you can find him on Single Actions Forum. He sells a lot of them.
White Eagle, I know I'm lucky & I say it all the time. I live in an area where my family & I can camp, hunt, fish, etc in just about any direction from town in just a matter of minutes. We will be on public ground with few people around, plenty of streams & rivers, lots of mountains & public roads, yes it is living the dream & never in my life have I taken it for granted.

Dick

Italia1825
11-10-2018, 10:14 PM
Beautiful! Thanks for making me jealous!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk