PDA

View Full Version : Ppu brass

GOPHER SLAYER
09-08-2018, 01:43 PM
Could someone tell me what is wrong with PPU brass? I tried to sell some once fired PPU .300 Winchester brass on this forum but no one was interested. In the sale I also offered WW, RP and FC, so maybe belted cases don't sell well, no matter the head stamp.

higgins
09-08-2018, 01:53 PM
A lot of people think there's something wrong with it because it's less expensive, either as component cases or factory ammo. Other people have read on websites that it's **** and want to believe it, even though you can come across such posts about any brand of brass if you look long enough.

My only personal experience is with 6.5x55. I FL resize every time, anneal and trim when needed, and have routinely gotten 12-15 loadings before a neck cracks. I used it because someone was good enough to leave it on the ground at the range and some of the other scavengers passed over it because it was an odd cartridge. Brass sales in general seem to be slow. I'm assuming your price was reasonable.

lefty o
09-08-2018, 01:57 PM
its good brass. either snob factor or lack of knowledge make it a red headed step child.

Wheelguns 1961
09-08-2018, 02:14 PM
I have only used in .38spl and .357 mag, but I haven’t had any problems. Some of the .38’s have over 20 reloadings.

knifemaker
09-08-2018, 02:31 PM
I use it in 7.62 X 39mm and it is good brass. Their factory loadings in that caliber is also good ammo. Far better then that cheap Russian ammo that everybody likes to shoot in their AKs and SKS rifles.

robg
09-08-2018, 02:37 PM
Use it in my 223 and 45-70 good as any other brass.

ShooterAZ
09-08-2018, 02:55 PM
I've been using it in 30-30 and 7.62x54R. I have had no problems with any of it...I give it a thumbs up.

sparkyv
09-08-2018, 03:10 PM
Nothing wrong with it, but I usually set it aside for trading.

gpidaho
09-08-2018, 03:24 PM
I have no problems with PPU brass. I've bought several hundred cases of 303 Brit and 7.62X54R new from Grafs. Better than Winchester. Might just be that Win Mag wasn't needed by those that looked at the offer. Not a common cast bullet round. Gp

Budzilla 19
09-08-2018, 03:33 PM
I use it when I have it. Seems to work ok.

mattw
09-08-2018, 03:51 PM
PPU is my second brass of choice for 32acp. I have quite a bit in 30/30 and have not problems with it. But, don't need the caliber you listed.

osteodoc08
09-08-2018, 03:55 PM
I’ve used PPU brass without issue. Now Amerc goes straight in the trash. I’ve had way too many issues with it.

kungfustyle
09-08-2018, 03:59 PM
I love my PPU brass and have three or four years of reloading with it for my Mosin. I buy a new box of ammo every few years to add to my stash. What I've noticed is price drives sales. If its priced correctly it will sell in about 5 minutes.

lightman
09-08-2018, 06:48 PM
I don't think it the head stamp. Components are plentiful right now and it seems as though brass sales are slow.

Bookworm
09-08-2018, 06:51 PM
I don't think it the head stamp. Components are plentiful right now and it seems as though brass sales are slow.

I agree, to an extent. PPU/NNY is something of an oddball for many. I use it in 7.62x54R, and have no complaints. I actually like it better than Winchester brass.

KenT7021
09-08-2018, 07:01 PM
I haven't had any problems with it.I have it in several calibers.I use Starline and PPU brass for the most part.

Thin Man
09-08-2018, 07:41 PM
I have used it in several calibers and it has always performed well for me. Why not list that brass closer to hunting time. Your luck may change.

GOPHER SLAYER
09-08-2018, 08:22 PM
In answer to questions posed by my post. I offered 154 once fired cases in 300 Winchester Mag. I started at $60 shipped. No response so I lowered the price to $50, no response so I gave up. Two days ago 74 cases of same caliber different head stamp were offered by another member $30 shipped and it sold in 10 minutes. The cases I offered were, WW, R-P and FC with 71 PPU. The amount of cases I wanted to sell would require a MFR box and that is now about $13. It just isn't worth the trouble. The range master gave me this brass the last time I went shooting. I won't bother to bring it home next time. It has been my experience that the only brass people want to buy are the cases with a rim. Rant over and thanks for replying.

redriverhunter
09-08-2018, 08:27 PM
I am set on 300 win brass for the time being. I would not give up on the brass not selling, give some time and repost it someone at some point will need it.

Texas by God
09-08-2018, 08:32 PM
I prefer PPU brass to all domestic brass based on quality. It's like poor man's Norma or Lapua. Selling brass is a right place/ right time thing IME.

nicholst55
09-08-2018, 09:18 PM
I honestly think that a lot of stuff sells just because the right person came along at the right time. Maybe nobody was looking for .300 Win Mag during the time that ad ran. Who knows? I've noticed that some of the commercial vendors on Gun Broker will run a specific item for a time, and then let that auction expire. After a time (30 days or whatever) they will relist it until it eventually sells.

Like others have said, I use and will continue to use PPU brass with complete satisfaction.

Time Killer
09-08-2018, 09:56 PM
Brass sales are just slow right now. The brass that I have recently purchased has been at a 2-4 cent apiece price shipped. I have done several purchases by the pound, .50 a pound over what the scrap yard is paying. Just a lot of brass on the market right now so its not bringing what it was. I made these purchases out of convenience not as a real need. I get most of mine from the range. Better economy = more people shooting and more brass being left at the range. The only brass that I am picky about is FC. The webb in the bottom of some of those cases are thin compared to other brass. It is also very inconsistent in water volume. They have fixed this in some of there newer brass and I will buy any with a date stamp on it(223/308 mainly).

oldscool
09-09-2018, 12:09 AM
It is truly sad in this day and age, that one cannot make a measly $37.00 selling free brass.
:popcorn:

What is the world coming to?

bedbugbilly
09-09-2018, 08:52 AM
All I use is "range brass". I've used PPU in a variety of calibers and have always found it to be good brass. I think a lot of prejudice, if there is prejudice, against PPU is fostered by posts. Let's face it, you can have issues with any brand of brass. I also wonder if those who have had issues with PPU have used "new" PPU rass or range brass back-ups. It can be claimed as 1 X fired, but if it is "picked up", who really knows.

I have no issues with it and have purchased it a number of times from members here. In fact, I FL sized 180 or so 308 Winchester PPU casings yesterday - no issues and all looks good to me.

lightman
09-09-2018, 10:32 AM
Everyone recognizes brands like Federal, Remington, Winchester and Norma. The lesser known brands may be just as good or maybe even better but it is going to take some time for them to make a place for theirselves.

Like I posted and Time Killer said, components are plentiful right now. In the last year I have sold 458 Winchester, 264 Winchester, 444 Marlin and 350 Remington Magnum brass. And some reloading tool and dies that came from the same source. I did some research and priced them to sell.

Like most other brass rats I have a lot of stuff that I don't load for and a lot more stuff like 9mm, 40 S&W and 223 that I'll probably never use up. I joined Cast Boolits sister site "Ammo Brass Traders" and have swapped off some of the brass that I can't use. Its a small site without a lot of activity but I have made several swaps with members there.

Handloader109
09-09-2018, 11:08 AM
Sell as range pickups..... who knows what headstamps there are? Just sayin

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

MOA
09-09-2018, 11:33 AM
I used most of them all over the last 37 years. Fed, Wi, Rem, Star, Pmc, Horn, 3-D, Blk hills, and over the last 5 years PPU. So far no problens with PPU, in ANY respect. I still remember the first time I ordered aught six PPU brass from Graf's, pleasantly surprised when it arrived and could see the annealing tail tell color on all the necks.

richhodg66
09-09-2018, 12:18 PM
Isn't PPU the same ammo and brass as the Hansen stuff that stopped being made in the '90s when the whole thing blew up in Yugoslavia? I shot some of that Hansen stuff up in my Mosin and SMLE, then reloaded the brass a BUNCH of times with no problems.

Haven't put any PPU to serious test, but have used some in .303 Savage and 7mm Mauser and it seems to work just fine, in fact, in the case of the 7x57, it's held up better than Federal brass has.

gpidaho
09-09-2018, 01:46 PM
Rich: I could be wrong but I believe that PPU brass and ammunition is Serbian built. It's always worked well for me. Gp

GhostHawk
09-09-2018, 09:44 PM
I'm with gpidaho.

I got my first PPU when I was looking for reasonable ammo for my pair of Mosin's.

Ran across a sale one day and realised that if I discounted the cost of the brass from the box of loaded ammo It was only costing me 14 cents for the powder and bullet.

Since then those PPU brass have worked just fine for me. So when I found a sale on PPU empty brass at a reasonable price I bought more.

In fact PPU is one of my prefered ammo companys. I have yet to have a problem with anything they make.

But, I don't shoot .300 mags either.

My prefered choices, PPU, Winchester, Starline, Federal in no particular order.
All have worked well for me assuming I do my part right. YMMV

HABCAN
09-10-2018, 02:14 PM
Post #5, post #20.......+1!!! Since our Canadian CIL excellent quality brass is no more, replaced by questionable IVI, PPU has become a faithful equivalent. My only gripe with it so far is that those cartridges based on the .308/.30-06 head/rim size often need the 6.5 Swede #3 shellholder in the press or priming tool, but they function fine in the gun. I buy Starline and PPU new empty brass by choice over FedRemWin, and who can even afford the CDN$ price of Hornady or Lapua?

redriverhunter
09-13-2018, 12:43 PM
I was thinking if you should run across some 7mm 08 brass put it up for sale here and see how long it lasts. You have to be lucky and quick to get a deal on 7mm08 brass.