PDA

View Full Version : Spanish model 1916

Scotty
11-30-2005, 12:58 PM
Took my model 1916 Spanish short rifle to the range yesterday. Dug around and found some lead loads i had kicking around , loaded with 180 grain .312 lyman bullets with 20 grains of WC-845 powder. Got the thing shooting straight at 25 yards and hiting the 10x with a 6 o'clock hold on the 600meter sighting...so i took the target out to 100. After going over the top of the target with the 700meter sight and high with the 600 i set it on 500meters and i got a 10x :shock: ...thinking to my self its all down hill from here. This is my best target before i ran out of ammo but it shows it can shoot even with sights i can hardly see...

Scotty,:)

swheeler
11-30-2005, 01:16 PM
Scotty; excellent looking 100 yd target! Cheese 20 gr load of WC845 sounds awful light, burn really dirty, are you using a filler?

Scotty
11-30-2005, 02:46 PM
I don't use a filler with that load, its a bit dirty just some black crud on the neck and shoulder. It shoots very good in my 2 .308 mausers so i never got around to working on it. Might try uping the load a bit or puting some cotton in there.

Scotty,:)

Newtire
12-02-2005, 12:12 AM
Hi Scotty,
Been eyeballing one of those down at the local gun shop & wondered what's the deal. It is only $120. It's a .308 also. Is it a pretty good rifle? Looks like it really shoots! Day-el-M!

Buckshot
12-02-2005, 06:51 AM
.............Whut's WC-845?

...........Newtire, about 8 years ago or maybe even less Century was selling those for $69. Supposed ot have had some killer wood on'em. A small ring 7x57 Mauser re-barreled to 308. I believe this was the one that started the original small ring/308 strength debate. Either that or it was the FR-7.

..............Buckshot

Scotty
12-02-2005, 01:19 PM
Well i payed 50 bucks for the one i have with the stock half hacked off.
I don't know who came up with the idea of shooting all up 308 loads in these but i don't think they ever owned one. I've seen them where the locking lugs were geting beat back into the lug recesses and making some real nice headspace and making opening the bolt hard.Only other thing i dont really like about is it won't load any flat nose bullets,just runs them into the end of the barrel so i have help it every time:roll:. Other then that they are a real nice rifle,most have great bores and one of the best mauser 2 stage triggers around. I would have another one if i see one for oh 75 bucks.
Almost forgot, WC-845 is a surplus ball powder... (winchester i think)its very close to H335 in burning rate.

StarMetal
12-02-2005, 01:28 PM
WC 844 surplus is the one that is closer to H 335

Joe

Scotty
12-02-2005, 02:17 PM
I said close...not closest :wink: .

Scott, :redneck:

StarMetal
12-02-2005, 02:20 PM
Well we got some folks on here that just might take that for gospel and load it exactly like it was H 335 and there would be problems. I don't want to see that happen. Actually all surplus powder should be tested with reduced loads to determine it's actual burning rate. Just being safe and watching out for others here.

Joe

Scotty
12-02-2005, 03:34 PM
I know its best to be safe, but anyone who bases a load on WC-845 because i said its close to H-335 without looking into it more has their own problems already...maybe they shouldn't be handloading. In the future i won't post things that can be misunderstude by the other members just to be safe.:wink:

"Military Rifle cast bullet load's
M1 Garand,1903,AK's,SKS's,K-31 Share your pet loads here. View these pages and use the listed data at your own risk. The load data contained within these pages can be submitted by anyone on the Internet and it is not verified to be safe."

Scotty, :-?

Bret4207
12-04-2005, 10:37 AM
Scotty- Obviously that gun and load are suspect. You'd better just send it my way so I can determine why it's shooting like that. I suspect you're rifle has, uh, ..... McGillicuddy syndrome, yeah thats it, and isn't safe to shoot. After all, all small ring Mausers are junk and I don't want to see you get hurt. Just watching out for you, Bret.

waksupi
12-04-2005, 11:52 AM
Scotty- Obviously that gun and load are suspect. You'd better just send it my way so I can determine why it's shooting like that. I suspect you're rifle has, uh, ..... McGillicuddy syndrome, yeah thats it, and isn't safe to shoot. After all, all small ring Mausers are junk and I don't want to see you get hurt. Just watching out for you, Bret.

Now Brett, you know darn well you aren't qualified to deal with a Mauser with McGillicuddy syndrome. They must all be sent here, to the Rocky Mountain Ballistics Research Laboratory, for quarantine and further testing.

swheeler
12-05-2005, 04:58 PM
Scotty; nothing wrong with your statement. "Most of us know" that these non-canister grade powders can change position on the burnrate charts by several spaces. I have one lot of WC846 that is faster than another lot of WC844, and one of WC846 that is slower than cannister blc2, yet they are all "similar to" H335!
Scooter

Newtire
12-06-2005, 02:13 AM
Scotty,
Thanks for that good info. I'll leave that one alone then. Got too many .30 cal. guns anyway! Can't even get em together right for a range trip sometimes.