PDA

View Full Version : Ruger American Predator - Stock w/edges that will CUT YOU...

Land Owner
09-07-2018, 11:17 AM
Purchased the subject rifle in 308 caliber and am looking forward to someday shooting and accurizing it. The stock that came on it can be called a "Finger Cutter" and is difficult and uncomfortable to hold. All along the axis of the barrel on both sides is a very hard, very sharp, 90-degree, injection molded edge - much like a cast bullet "fin". I am in contact with Ruger Customer Service and sent them requested photos (some below). They are considering what I have shown them and what they can do about it.

Any other American Predator owners with similar or perhaps different stock options? Is what I bought the way it is supposed to be? I hope not...

lefty o
09-07-2018, 09:58 PM
looks like molded in color, so if it were mine and i overall liked it except the edges, i would lightly hit the edges with some 400grit( or finer) wet/dry sand paper, wet of course.

Land Owner
09-08-2018, 07:37 AM
Thanks lefty o. I have considered several options, sand paper, drawing a sharp edge (like a knife or Exacto blade) down the edge and length of the stock, and hitting the end product with a smidgen of "canned heat" to round off the final edge. I do not know how heat tolerant the stock is. I don't even know what it is made of, other than "plastic", and there are varieties in that.

Before I do any of these I wanted to ask the manufacturer for their opinion - and I did not ask them for a replacement stock, just their thoughts on how to soften the edges. They are considering options and I want to give them a voice before I modify something that might change its intrinsic value or worse - screw it up.

I have hopes that some with similar rifles will offer their observations on the manner in which their stocks are made. Similarly? Different?

Rick Hodges
09-08-2018, 09:35 AM
I wouldn't hesitate to break that edge with sandpaper on a sanding block, blend it as best I could. I have been known to paint most of my plastic stocks anyway.

redhawk0
09-08-2018, 09:52 AM
I put an aftermarket RamLine synthetic stock on my Ruger M77-MKII LH. I had similar sharp edges on it when it arrived. I took 320grit paper (wet with water) to the really bad edges, then followed up with 400grit (wet). Its a very comfortable hold now.

redhawk

Texas by God
09-08-2018, 10:31 AM
I wouldn't hesitate to break that edge with sandpaper on a sanding block, blend it as best I could. I have been known to paint most of my plastic stocks anyway.^^^this^^^^^^, me too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

sparkyv
09-08-2018, 04:06 PM
^^^this^^^^^^, me too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Mine was like that. I didn't take the time that Texas by God and Rick Hodges suggested, rather I just took my rotary tool to it and ground it smooth enough for me. After all, that polymer stock isn't exactly gonna ever be a collectable antique. And if you will accurate it somesay, the crappy polymer stock will have to go anyways.

Land Owner
09-11-2018, 10:26 PM
Ruger CS in NC is sending me a new stock, one that is a later improvement with smoother lines than the born on date of my current stock. I have asked them if they would accept the old stock back in exchange, shipped to them on my dime. No word on that as yet.

lefty o
09-12-2018, 03:23 PM
good to hear they are taking care of you. my guess is that they wont want the old stock back.

country gent
09-12-2018, 05:55 PM
On sharp edges a fine 6" swiss cut file does wonders to break sharp edges and lightly radius the corners. I find the file easier to keep lines straight and even than sand paper