PDA

View Full Version : Case cleaning?

MontanaS
09-25-2008, 12:15 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello all,
Though I have reloaded jacketed ammo for my military rifles for the past eight years I am new to cast loading and shooting. A man in my church took me out today and let me shoot his 40-65 rolling block. After 50 rounds at seven different targets he proceeded to tell me that I was the first one to shoot it in two years and that he was letting me take it and keep it until I decided which direction I wanted to go with buffalo rifles. He then took me back to his house and handed me 100 loobed bullets, 150 cases ( including the ones I had just shot ), primers, dies, powder, and a velocity chart or that rifle with different powder bullet combo's. He told me that all I need to get is a crimping die. Needless to say I was overwhelmed with gratitude and can't wait to get to loading. I do have one question however. I do not have a case tumbler and will need to clean the inside of the cases. I do not doing them individually but need to know what kind of brush to get and what cleaning lube solutions to use. I'd appreciate any and all assistance. Am eager to learn. Thanks.

Bent Ramrod
09-25-2008, 12:41 AM
Now that's a great introduction to black powder shooting!

If you don't want to invest in a case tumbler and special media, a test tube brush (or a narrow bottle brush; go to the dollar store or kitchen-supplies store with an empty case and see what fits) and a bottle of Windex with vinegar or Dawn dishwash detergent should do you. Deprime your cases first, dump them in hot water with a couple squirts of Windex or a quarter-teaspoon of Dawn, shake them up, scrub them out with the brush, rinse in cold water and let dry.

If you decide to get into it totally, a Thumler's tumbler full of Dave Maurer ceramic beads and cleaning solution is to the above procedure what your local drycleaning establishment is to pounding your laundry on a rock in a river. There is the capital investment to consider, but to me at least, the convenience is well worth it after years of doing it by hand.

montana_charlie
09-25-2008, 12:23 PM
He told me that all I need to get is a crimping die.
I am sure you and your benefactor will have other discussions about loading for that rifle. During one of those, you should ask for clarification on that 'crimping die' you mentioned.
You most probably will need a powder compression die...but the only kind of crimping tool in use by many BPCR shooters is a 'taper crimp' die. It is also entirely possible to get by without one.
CM

Bigjohn
09-25-2008, 06:34 PM
MontanaS; welcome to the forum and the sport. I second the use of test tube cleaning brushes.
If you can't find these, buy a Spray Gun (paint) cleaning brush set. What you will need to do is bend the end of the correct sized brush back on itself, carefully, so you end up with bristles on the very end of the brush. This effectively makes it the same as a test tube cleaning brush.

I also agree that you can get by without a crimp die unless you need it to turn the flare on the case mouth back flat with the side of boolit. I would (and have for my .45/70) invest in a neck sizing die as offered by LYMAN for BPC. This only sizes the neck area to hold the boolits.

Anyhow, enjoy your new sport and see you around the forum,
John

EDK
09-25-2008, 07:16 PM
Get yourself a copy of SHOOTING BUFFALO RIFLES OF THE OLD WEST by Mike Venturino (Livingston MT.) Also good are LOADING AND SHOOTING PAPER PATCH BULLETS, A BEGINNER'S GUIDE by Randolph Wright and the SPG LUBRICANTS BP CARTRIDGE RELOADING PRIMER by Mike Venturino and STEVE GARBE. The books are available from Mike or Shiloh Rifle or Buffalo Arms.

www.shilohrifle.com/forums will also give you a wealth of information.

40/65 is one of the more popular cartridges for black powder rifles and components, etc.

I clean my casings by de-capping, then using hot soapy water and a nylon brush of some sort, and then tumbling in the ceramic media. The ceramic is great for cleaning inside and out (you might want the smaller size) and also is ideal for the nasty looking range brass you got cheap!

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

MontanaS
09-25-2008, 10:05 PM
My friend told me to get the Lyman BP Taper Crimp die. I just ordered it a few moments ago. He has been reloading for years and will be a tremendous help. He also shoots in the annual Quigley Buffalo Rifle shoot in Forsyth MT and is wanting me to do the same. He won't have to twist my arm to much