PDA

View Full Version : Don't know When???

KCSO
11-30-2005, 12:00 PM
I don't know when I will be on again. We are in a blizzard and have been without power for 56 hours. Have been working S and R and hauling old folks to heat. I'm ok as we are survivor types and have auxilary everything.

9.3X62AL
11-30-2005, 01:01 PM
Saw that your area was getting hammered on the Weather Channel yesterday. Keep warm, and stay safe sir.

BruceB
11-30-2005, 02:48 PM
Yes!

Ditto to Al's message, and THANK YOU, on behalf of all those folks you're helping.

SharpsShooter
11-30-2005, 06:13 PM
Stay safe and be proud that you are helping others instead of waiting for the Government to "hep out".

wills
11-30-2005, 06:44 PM
He is the government!

waksupi
11-30-2005, 09:01 PM
Geez, Jim, call FEMA, and whine to them. Tell them you are all cold and shivery, and need thier help. They will send ice.

JCherry
11-30-2005, 09:11 PM
I just missed out on that weather by the skin of my teeth. The wife and I were visiting my son in Minot, ND for Thanksgiving. We had originally planned on leaving there Sunday or Monday.

I monitored the weather and noticed it coming in and figured the better part of valor was to high tail it out of there. We left Saturday morning and made it to Douglas, Wy when it started snowing on us pretty bad. We stopped and got a motel for the night. I figured we might be there for some time.

First thing Sunday morning we found the sedan covered with almost a foot of snow. The snow had quit but it was still very overcast. The Interstate had been plowed so we headed out. The sedan is front wheel drive and did very well in the slick areas.

We made it to Cheyenne where the sky at that time was clear but the wind was howling pretty well.

We made it through Denver I think a couple of before the snow hit it hard. I was sweating it until I made it through the passes at Raton. As we passed through Glorietta I noticed some odd clouds but they did not produce anything. Sure was nice to get back to my Arizona Mountains.

Have Fun,

JCherry

9.3X62AL
11-30-2005, 09:17 PM
Yeah, I made a trip home from Michigan in 1984 through both NE and WY on I-80, and saw first-hand how deeply and comprehensively it can snow in late fall in both places. No fun at all, even with 4WD.

wills
11-30-2005, 10:46 PM
I spoke to someone today from Souix falls. He said it is cold there. I told him we have tomatoes growing in our garden.

StarMetal
11-30-2005, 10:48 PM
I made a trip from Colorado to Pa on I 80 in the winter. NE was the first place in my life I ever saw 18 wheeler's with chains on all the wheels. I 80 was about one foot thick ice with POT HOLES in it!!!! I pulled into a truckstop for some coffee and guess I was complaining alot about where's the snowcrew and some fellow says "Where you from boy?" I said Pa. He says "Well I don't know about Pa, but when it snows here the road crew goes home".

Joe

MT Gianni
12-01-2005, 12:23 AM
We sent some lineman from work to South Dakota. They mentioned 3,000 poles down between transmission and distribution. Lots of not so fun overtime. Gianni.

KCSO
12-02-2005, 12:16 PM
Well its been 5 days and we now have about 3/4ths of the county back up with basic services. Law enforcement and fire and rescue volunteers have done a job of work in the last week. We spent most of two days after the roads were opened just hauling old folks with no heat to shelters, with time out to rescue 4 hunters in a boat who thought the blizzard would be a great time to hunt ducks on the Missouri river. Since we had heat and lights at home we had a day care center moved in with us. No Fema, No Federal Help, No National Guard and it looks like we will make it ok. Also No Looters and No Riots. We had one 10 mile section of county road that had 1/2 of all electric POLES down and ALL the lines. Snow drifts across the roads 6 and 8 feet high and a base coat of 1" of ice on everything.

It sure LOOKS pretty though, like living in a snow globe.

9.3X62AL
12-02-2005, 12:27 PM
KCSO--

The "no looters/no riots" result in Nebraska is no surprise--there's a whole different mindset in a place like that, compared to other areas of our country.

I didn't say New Orleans or Los Angeles, now did I?

It sounds like your agency did one hell of a fine job, sir. Well done!

grumble
12-02-2005, 12:52 PM
Well, golly-gee! You mean it's possible to get through a catastrophe without National Gov't involvement? How can that be? It is truly amazing that the major news organizations aren't there telling the world about your situation. <G>

HA! Now, THAT's how things should be! Great work, and my sincere compliments.

SharpsShooter
12-02-2005, 02:03 PM
Well, golly-gee! You mean it's possible to get through a catastrophe without National Gov't involvement? How can that be? It is truly amazing that the major news organizations aren't there telling the world about your situation. <G>

HA! Now, THAT's how things should be! Great work, and my sincere compliments.

Ditto the compliments!

anachronism
12-02-2005, 11:06 PM
one of my customers from norther Nebraska (Butte) calls up to complain that UPS hasn't been there for almost a week. We missed the big stuff, but still got a couple of inches in Lincoln.

Bob