PDA

View Full Version : I wonder how lee warranties the old cheap presses ?

zymguy
09-05-2018, 08:52 PM
And how the world am I gonna gonna get this shell out https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180906/3617eb7995a375eeb0d1b7e1fba5f18f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duckdog
09-05-2018, 09:14 PM
I would think they'd give you the cheapest comparable press for 1/2 price. They'll stand behind it.

zymguy
09-05-2018, 09:55 PM
I would think they'd give you the cheapest comparable press for 1/2 price. They'll stand behind it.

after a little googling, I believe thats accurate. It reads a little bit like they may give me a half price of the cheap one credit toward a better press.

The press has certainly more than paid for itself over the years, lee doesn't owe me anything.

OldBearHair
09-05-2018, 10:25 PM
after a little googling, I believe thats accurate. It reads a little bit like they may give me a half price of the cheap one credit toward a better press.

The press has certainly more than paid for itself over the years, lee doesn't owe me anything.Like your attitude!

MyFlatline
09-05-2018, 10:30 PM
They have treated me more than fair for my own stupidity. May not be top shelf but hard to beat the value and CS..

Livin_cincy
09-05-2018, 11:26 PM
They will not yell at you to get a Blue One... The new Lyman Brass Smith line has a small C Frame press that looks like a competitor for the little Lee Press.

MT Chambers
09-05-2018, 11:33 PM
They warranty their old cheap presses the same way they warranty their new cheap presses.

Lloyd Smale
09-06-2018, 06:13 AM
its a lee. Drill a hole behind the broke off ear and use a longer bolt to bolt it back down or use a C clamp and keep using it. It wouldn't be worth the postage to send it back if it were mine. Guess if it were me id look at it like im obviously doing loading chores that a cheap cast aluminum press isn't good enough and its time to upgrade to something like an rcbs, lyman or Hornady press. Or at least lees new cast steel press.

toallmy
09-06-2018, 06:23 AM
You still need to get the brass case out of the die. [smilie=1:

jmorris
09-06-2018, 09:47 AM
When you get another mount it to something that won’t bend or flex. If that one were bolted to a 1/4” thick piece of steel instead of drywall screwed into the wood, it wouldn’t have broke, at least not right there.

Castings won’t take flex very well even less so when they are thin aluminum.

I am with Lloyd, drill another hole just behind the ear that broke off and carry on.

This is the method Lee suggests to remove stuck cases.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ylp3fsYrEVw

Dieselhorses
09-06-2018, 09:58 AM
JB weld it for now, you'll be surprised in 24 hours.

colt38sp
09-06-2018, 10:21 AM
I have one of those presses that I broke the handle on resizing 30-06 military brass. I called Lee and told them what I did and asked to purchase a new handle. They said they were sending it to me free of charge. I even mentioned that it was probably at least 10 years old but they insisted on sending me a new handle free and thanked me for buying their products. I would say give them a call and see what they say. They didn't even want me to send back the old part. They are a very good company to deal with.

RogerDat
09-06-2018, 10:59 AM
If not attached to a smooth surface or given flex movement aluminum press will break. There is a reason folks put grout or caulk under the toilet before they tighten it down. So it can't rock and break. Not saying that is what happened but even a little flex and with the screw head not spreading the load out as a bolt and washer would this would be the location to expect something like that.

My 13 year old Honda Accord (actually the wife's but came to me in it's twilight years) had a brake line pop, right in the middle of the steel line. Shop said it is where they all break because every time the driver gets in and out the floor and body flex a tiny amount, after over a decade that little tiny flex weakens the metal of the line to the point it breaks under pressure with no outward sign or warning.

Would say a decade from a $35 press works out to $3.50 a year cost to use the press. Hope you got some use out of it for that price :kidding:

TNsailorman
09-06-2018, 12:42 PM
Metal "fatigues" and breaks/cracks when it flexes. It is not will it break but when will it break when it is flexed enough. Ask a Navy or Air Force mechanic what happens to fighter planes when they have been stressed quite a bit in "dogfight maneuvers" over a period of time. my experience anyway, james

Grmps
09-06-2018, 12:54 PM
Call Lee @ phone (262) 673-3075 . I believe they might want you to send it in then they will give you 50% off a new one.

A phone call will solve ALL your questions.

Livin_cincy
09-06-2018, 01:46 PM
Metal "fatigues" and breaks/cracks when it flexes. It is not will it break but when will it break when it is flexed enough. Ask a Navy or Air Force mechanic what happens to fighter planes when they have been stressed quite a bit in "dogfight maneuvers" over a period of time. my experience anyway, james

They use crappy pot metals like alumimum to make fighter jets. If they used cast iron they would not crack...

:drinks:

scotner
09-06-2018, 01:54 PM
I have one of those presses that I broke the handle on resizing 30-06 military brass. I called Lee and told them what I did and asked to purchase a new handle. They said they were sending it to me free of charge. I even mentioned that it was probably at least 10 years old but they insisted on sending me a new handle free and thanked me for buying their products. I would say give them a call and see what they say. They didn't even want me to send back the old part. They are a very good company to deal with.

I wish I had better luck when I contacted them. I was using a brand new 6 cavity mold for the first time when the sprue cutter lever broke. I needed the lever plus the wood handle since it broke off even with the end of the handle. Technically the parts were free but they charged me over $6 for shipping. I NEVER paid shipping, handling or had to return broken parts to RCBS or Dillon. Also never had to provide a purchase receipt to those companies.

MyFlatline
09-06-2018, 05:02 PM
I wish I had better luck when I contacted them. I was using a brand new 6 cavity mold for the first time when the sprue cutter lever broke. I needed the lever plus the wood handle since it broke off even with the end of the handle. Technically the parts were free but they charged me over $6 for shipping. I NEVER paid shipping, handling or had to return broken parts to RCBS or Dillon. Also never had to provide a purchase receipt to those companies.
Why did you buy that mold from Lee and not RCBS or Dillon? The cost. So with that out of the way, what Lee offers to so many, on non life time items, I consider that pretty dang good.

Smoke4320
09-06-2018, 05:51 PM
They use crappy pot metals like alumimum to make fighter jets. If they used cast iron they would not crack...

:drinks:

Till they hit the ground (right after "takeoff" ) :)

Dieselhorses
09-06-2018, 08:32 PM
For the price of Lee's products I can't complain about the performance. No a press from Lee probably won't surpass the life of a Dillon or RCBS or Hornady (although YES, they break too!), but the customer service at Lee says a lot. If I had a 800.00 Dillon press in my reloading room, "I" would be the only who ever saw it anyway (well maybe the wife 3 times a year LOL).

country gent
09-06-2018, 10:20 PM
Heres how I would keep it running. First glue the ear back in place to hold it in location. drill the hole thru the bench. cut a piece of pip close to the radius above the ear. notch one end to fit around the ear and the other angled from level to 1/4" under the top surface, A long bolt and big washer ( may take a smaller ne also to cover hoe in big washer) and bolt down with high side of pipe away from press. The glued ear will stop rock on down stroke. Te pope and washers act as a strap clamp and lock the press down securely.

scotner
09-06-2018, 11:56 PM
Why did you buy that mold from Lee and not RCBS or Dillon? The cost. So with that out of the way, what Lee offers to so many, on non life time items, I consider that pretty dang good.

But the first time I used it?

kmw1954
09-07-2018, 12:22 AM

So you've never bought a new Item before that was defective right out of the box? I know I have.
While working maintenance I have taken expensive electronic machine controls from the parts shelf that were defective more times than I care to think. And these are parts for a production machine that is costing the company money because of down time. Not just inconveniencing me by having to replace the part twice.

scotner
09-07-2018, 01:45 AM
So you've never bought a new Item before that was defective right out of the box?

Yes, but I would expect the manufacturer to repair/replace a brand new item that was defective out of the box. By the way, I worked industrial maintenence in a large manufacturing plant for 38 years so I have installed and replaced my share of parts too. The biggest problem was when you needed an obsolete part.

kmw1954
09-07-2018, 10:47 AM
Yes, worked in food plant where everything was constantly wet from wash down, always replacing PLC's, motors, wires, bearings, gearboxes.

I have a Lee Auto Drum measure that's been back to Lee 3 times and never had a problem with their service. And for what I paid for this measure I certainly am not going to complain.

On the other hand I just ordered something from Midway USA and received a wrong item. Contacted them last Friday and still haven't received a response for a credit and return.

fiberoptik
09-07-2018, 12:03 PM

Same happened to me. I guess ya need to start casting 1 at a time from the hinge end. Learning experience. Haven’t contacted them about it yet.

toallmy
09-07-2018, 12:17 PM
I have had good dealings with Lee since the mid 80s , when I break something they have always made it right by me - not quite a no question asked free for life but within reason at a reasonable price . Usually I'm the problem when I break something I tell them I broke it and except the consequence pay them and thank them .

scotner
09-07-2018, 12:27 PM
Same happened to me. I guess ya need to start casting 1 at a time from the hinge end.

I may have to try that whenever the parts show up.

fiberoptik
09-07-2018, 12:54 PM
Didn’t help me that I waited too long to cut sprues either.

RogerDat
09-10-2018, 02:14 PM

There is something about Lee replacement parts that bites people from time to time. Lee will provide and ship the replacement part for free BUT if you make any other purchase in same order the computer puts the shipping on because of the "regular" order. Add a rubber O ring to the replacement part being shipped for free and you now have standard shipping for the whole package going out. Can be a real expensive "oops" if what is being shipped is a bulky heavy press that would have shipped free as warranty replacement except for the shell holder you ordered at the same time.

I had a trim die where the O ring wore out so the case wasn't being held tightly. Contacted Titan to order another because I figured O ring was a "wear" part. Titan replied to my email and sent copy to Lee to indicate when I had purchased the die and that I needed a part they couldn't get. Lee contacted me to explain they don't use that O ring style die anymore so they were sending me a new trim die of the current type. No charge, no shipping. However I was aware that adding anything to that would have nixed the free shipping.