PDA

View Full Version : Type I carcano scope mount pics

Cactus Farmer
09-24-2008, 10:38 PM
A "friend" bought a type I that had been rechambered to 6.5/257 Roberts,a common conversion for old 6.5 X 50 Japs. He wanted a scope mounted above the bore. Now these rifles are not typical Carcanos,they load from the top with a five round stripper clip into a Mauser type box magazine. So I found a piece of 4140 that was 3 1/4 OD and 1 1/2 thick. Bored a 1.300 hole to obtain the radius for the left rear of the action. Used my shaper to whittle this 3 lb 7 oz chunk down to a smaller size,halving it in the meantime. The rear receiver ring is split ALA all MS rifles and the bolt handle needed to go under the mount.So, Forging the bolt is next. Build a set of forging blocks and internal heat sink. Heated and smighted said bolt to the right. In an attempt to keep the mount low and strong I make the Weaver stype base intereral with the mount. Thin but stiff. Drilled and tapped the reciever,tough steel!. Attached mount and mounted the scope with the front ring in place to measure the height of the front mount. 400 thou from the bottom of a # 46 base. Mount the beast in the stock for a feel,.....feels good!It's a little high but the stock is a Boyd and they come with extra wood everywhere so we will see after the front mount is build. Pictures will be uploaded tonight.........

Urny
09-25-2008, 10:17 AM
Wow. That is quite a project. I would like to see how this proceeds.