PDA

View Full Version : My imagination?

Dieselhorses
09-04-2018, 12:11 PM
Maybe it's my imagination but last night I recently flared 50 357 cases that I pre-primed and stepped out for a few, came back, charged cases and tried to seat bullets and lo and behold they shrunk. Using nickel plated brass, don't know what happened.

3leggedturtle
09-05-2018, 01:00 AM
Did check them with a boolit? Are the cases shorter than normal, or did use you a different boolit? Todd

vagrantviking
09-05-2018, 09:44 AM
Been a couple of times I would swear the same thing has happened to me.

I'm blaming springy brass too. Or maybe gremlins sneak into my gun room at night and squeeze them back down. Can't definitively rule out either!
Couldn't be that I spent all that time setting dies and belling cases only to have been too cautious about overworking the brass and not running them in far enough...

Dieselhorses
09-05-2018, 03:15 PM
Case were in spec (1.285). My loading room is AC'd so only thing I can suspect is like vagrantviking said "springy brass". Ductility can be a good thing when it comes to brass as it shows good case obturation is possible. Just first time I encountered this. And yes, every time I'm flaring I check the bullet now and then just to make sure. The cases were R-P and Federal.

RED BEAR
09-05-2018, 04:57 PM
I must say i have thought i was crazy. Bell cases and go back a few weeks later and can no longer get the bullets started. I am very forgetful so i never said anything but when some start easily and others must be belled again just mystified me.

Dieselhorses
09-05-2018, 05:17 PM
I must say i have thought i was crazy. Bell cases and go back a few weeks later and can no longer get the bullets started. I am very forgetful so i never said anything but when some start easily and others must be belled again just mystified me.

Wasn't the cases....I snuck over and unsized your bullets :drinks:

RED BEAR
09-05-2018, 09:24 PM
Well that splanes it.

tankgunner59
09-08-2018, 11:08 AM
It's Odummies minnions, they don't want us rolling our own so they come in late at night and undo our doing! [smilie=l:

3leggedturtle
09-09-2018, 02:15 PM
I bought some boolits from a defunct commercial caster. Had 2 diameter sizes in the box, .358 and .3595!! Took smashing a few noses and shaving the sides of a dozen or so before figuring it out. Todd

Dieselhorses
09-09-2018, 11:43 PM
I bought some boolits from a defunct commercial caster. Had 2 diameter sizes in the box, .358 and .3595!! Took smashing a few noses and shaving the sides of a dozen or so before figuring it out. Todd
Don't you just hate that? I size mine regardless.

GregLaROCHE
09-13-2018, 08:06 AM
I can’t say I’ve had that problem. I quickly load mine after flaring. Still working up loads, so only doing ten at a time and then restarting again from beginning.

If springy brass really exists as a lot seem to think. Maybe anealing would help get rid of it.