PDA

View Full Version : Another PSA AR-15 Question, 10.5" 300AAC On Sale

DougGuy
09-03-2018, 06:32 PM
I am very tempted to pull the trigger on this. Having never owned an AR platform, I know I want something 30 caliber, shorter than standard rifle, lightweight.

I have fairly good 'smithing skills, and some machine tools, but no real working knowledge of the AR from a 'smiths point of view.

Would this be a decent entry level piece for me? $549 free shipping, sale ends tomorrow.

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/AR%20Stuff/5165449004a_zps8efolfz5.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/AR%20Stuff/5165449004a_zps8efolfz5.jpg.html)

Here are some particulars so you don't have to go look it up at the liink:

SKU: 5165449004
UPC: 5165449004
MFR#: 5165449004

Barrel Length: 10.5"
Gas System: Pistol-length
Barrel Profile: Heavy
Barrel Steel: 4150V Chrome Moly Steel
Barrel Finish: Phosphate
Chrome Lining: None
Muzzle Thread: 5/8-24
Chamber: 300AAC Blackout
Twist Rate: 1 in 8"
Barrel Extension: M4
Diameter at Gas Block: .750"
Gas Block Type: Low-profile
Muzzle Device: A2 Style Flash Hider
Receiver Material: Forged 7075 T6
Receiver Type: M4
Hand guard Type: PSA 9" Lightweight M-Lok Rail
Bolt Carrier Group Included: Yes
Bolt Steel: Carpenter 158
Bolt Carrier Profile: Full-auto
Charging Handle included: Yes
Lower Receiver: Forged 7075 T6 Aluminum
Receiver Finish: Hardcoat Anodized
Fire Control Group: Single-Stage, Mil-spec style
Grip: Classic A2 Grip, Black
Buffer Tube: 7075 T6 Aluminum
Adjustment: Fixed
Pistol Brace: SB Tactical SOB Pistol Brace, Black
Magazine:30 Round Aluminum

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-10-5-pistol-length-300aac-blackout-1-8-phosphate-lightweight-m-lok-classic-sob-pistol-5165449004.html

Chad5005
09-03-2018, 06:38 PM
not a bad deal at all,i just built a 300 aac and have about 500 in it and had a few small parts,mine is only 8.5 inch barrel though

DougGuy
09-03-2018, 07:01 PM
I am very tempted to pull the trigger on this. Having never owned an AR platform, I know I want something 30 caliber, shorter than standard rifle, lightweight.

I have fairly good 'smithing skills, and some machine tools, but no real working knowledge of the AR from a 'smiths point of view.

Would this be a decent entry level piece for me? $549 free shipping, sale ends tomorrow.

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/AR%20Stuff/5165449004a_zps8efolfz5.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/AR%20Stuff/5165449004a_zps8efolfz5.jpg.html)

Also, what optics would y'all suggest for this?

I don't plan on hunting with this, it is a SHTF defense against multiple threats likely within 50yds.

Chad5005
09-03-2018, 07:22 PM
226596 I put a red dot on mine and like it

Rick R
09-03-2018, 07:38 PM
I have a PSA 8.5” .300Blk upper with a stainless barrel. It’s quite accurate, sub 1” at fifty yards. It is also “over gassed “, meaning the gas port is too large. Tamed it by using an “H2” buffer which is heavier than a normal carbine buffer. The up side is it will function with either super or sub sonic ammo without a silencer.

Its not a high end pistol like a Colt, Noveske or Daniel Defense but it keeps chugging along. I’d suggest one of the Holosun or Primary Arms red dot sights. .300Blk is easy to handload and ammo is fairly available if you want to buy some to break in your new blaster.

osteodoc08
09-03-2018, 10:00 PM
I’d youre looking for an inexpensive “pistol” in 300 BLK, it’ll serve your purpose just fine. I’ve a few from PSA and their equipment has always went bang. A little rough but serviceable.

Kevinakaq
09-03-2018, 10:16 PM
Get the psa kit with the SBA 3 pistol brace. 149 for the kit, 39 for a stripped lower, pick a complete upper for around 249 on clearance or a blem and you are good to go. Just did the same thing myself a couple weeks ago. You will not regret getting that adjustable and legal pistol brace... I consider it the best pistol brace on the market.

Have several psa and find them as servicable as my colts. No regrets picking up a psa. Assembling the lower kit is no challenge and plenty of good vids on youtube to walk you through it.

DougGuy
09-03-2018, 10:42 PM
Kevinakaq it comes with this: Pistol Brace: SB Tactical SOB Pistol Brace, Black

Is this not legal?

Kevinakaq
09-03-2018, 10:46 PM
Is legal, didn't mean to imply the one you were looking at isn’t. Was just pointing out the sba3 is an adjustable brace which puts it as close to a standard type stock as possible without becoming an sbr. Huge upgrade in my opinion. ymmv. Search youtube for sba 3 pistol brace and you will see a lot of fans who consider it a game changer. It sells for 129 by itself and psa is offering it with all lower parts for 149 - quite a bargain.

As for psa labor day sale i dont see them as any better than the ones they have on a daily basis. And i have been watching daily for a couple months now...

Kev

DougGuy
09-03-2018, 11:00 PM
Kevinakaq All the 10.5" 300AAC uppers are out of stock.. ;(

Kevinakaq
09-03-2018, 11:05 PM
Kevinakaq All the 10.5" 300AAC uppers are out of stock.. ;(

Had same issue when I ordered mine. I simply ordered the stripped lower and sba 3 kit with free shipping and waited. One promptly showed up on sale in a few days with free shipping included. The labor day sales are no better than any other day that I can tell. Not trying to talk you out of the one you are looking at as i am certain it is a fine setup, just saying the labor day sale price shouldn’t motivate you to purchase right away. These sales are around everyday at psa from what i have noticed. I was making this exact decision myself very recently and got exactly what I wanted cheaper than the one shot buy and included the sba 3. Just my humble opinion offered my friend. Either way you will be a happy customer I feel as psa makes good solid products.

DougGuy
09-03-2018, 11:32 PM
Ok I made the order for the lower and the sba3 kit. Which mags for this?

*They prolly put at least one component out of stock when they are having a sale on completed rifles, so you can't buy a complete build while the sale is ongoing..

Texas by God
09-04-2018, 12:03 AM
I haven't found a mag yet that won't work for the .300 BO, but my favorites are 20 rd Magpul and GI contract 20 rounders.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Chad5005
09-04-2018, 12:08 AM
ive ran 20,30 and 40 round plastic and a 30 round steel mag and all did fine

DougGuy
09-04-2018, 12:24 AM
I haven't found a mag yet that won't work for the .300 BO, but my favorites are 20 rd Magpul and GI contract 20 rounders.

You using 5.56/223 mags for 300 AAC?

marek313
09-04-2018, 01:01 AM
Yep same mags.

I have basically the same thing PSA 300AAC in 16" and its accurate and works great. I also have and worked on other PSA ARs. The only problem I ran into was trying to break down an upper. Their barrel nuts are a nightmare sometimes and I had one 5.56 upper I couldnt take the barrel off at all it was on so tight. Other then that PSA stuff works fine.

300 is great for casting too and because of that I shoot it more then my 5.56 now.

BUCKEYE BANDIT
09-04-2018, 06:12 AM
I run the PSA mags @ 6.99 on sale.Smooth out the feed lips and front inner edge and go, I have started flattening the forward rib just a tad for the fatty's.
Ok I made the order for the lower and the sba3 kit. Which mags for this
*They prolly put at least one component out of stock when they are having a sale on completed rifles, so you can't buy a complete build while the sale is ongoing..

Lloyd Smale
09-04-2018, 06:32 AM
Ive got 4 psa ars now that ive put together with there parts. All are great guns and a real good bang for the buck.

BNE
09-04-2018, 06:32 AM
Magpul Gen 2 or 3 work fine for me.

Texas by God
09-04-2018, 08:28 AM
You using 5.56/223 mags for 300 AAC?Absolutley.

Kevinakaq
09-04-2018, 10:18 AM
Ok I made the order for the lower and the sba3 kit. Which mags for this?

Nice, you are 190 in for a very nice complete pistol lower. Not a bad deal. Will keep an eye out for a barrel for you as I am also looking for a 10.5” 9mm barrel (hybrid for colt lowers) and they are out of stock. Ordered a magwell adapter from midway on Monday and already have some mags from a yard sale...

As for sights I have the Sig Romeo 5 on my 10.5” which is a nice red dot with looong battery life and auto start/shutoff. PSA has it in stock for 119 and another deal at 199 plus ten magpul mags. Feel like a PSA spokesman but i cant argue their deals...

popper
09-04-2018, 11:37 AM
With the heavy barrel, get the sling ring that goes under the tube so you can sling it over your back when in the field. My 10" is 5# (DI, not piston) but still heavy to carry for a long time. Seems like the shorties come HBAR vs pencil style, not sure why. Flash hider is not needed and just adds weight & $$. 223 mags have side ribs that hold the 223 shoulder back. File down if needed but they really only cause problems with full mags. Pmags now come in BO variety but add a few $$. I use a low mount reflex sight, RD needs to be higher if you want to use the brace as a stock.
I just got one of the anderson lowers & parts kit, Cmmg trig and built my own. KAK barrel

Texas by God
09-04-2018, 12:15 PM
The ogive on the 300 bullet where it measures.250" should be located at the mag ribs when loading for it. You will love this cartridge; it is a bullet disposal machine.
Remember to keep your .300 BO ammo miles away from a 5.56/.223 AR to prevent an accident as most .300 BO rounds will chamber in the .223!!!!

DougGuy
09-04-2018, 12:25 PM
I just got one of the anderson lowers & parts kit

I found a complete Anderson on Armslist, SEEMS much too good to be true, and the seller is unregistered, so..........

Anderson AR15 AR 15 Pistol Custom 300 AAC 7.5" Pistol Anderson Alum. Upper and Lower, SB Tactical A3 Pistol Brace, Custom Muzzle Brake, Free Floating Alum. Hand Guard (1) 30 Rd Mag, Pachmayr Grip $450

With the heavy barrel, get the sling ring that goes under the tube so you can sling it over your back when in the field. My 10" is 5# (DI, not piston) but still heavy to carry for a long time.

Thanks for the info, I checked with PSA, the 10.5" is DI. Do you have a part number for the sling? They also say that none of the pistol length rifles or uppers are sold with a pencil barrel.

Moonie
09-06-2018, 09:13 PM
I have had some issues with some mags using the big 245/247gr boolits. The mags I use that have no issues are Lancer. The Magpul's hang up for me with them.

W.R.Buchanan
09-10-2018, 09:08 PM
Doug: if you want something from PSA that is listed as out of stock call in and get a number for a supervisor.

I did this when I kept asking when 24" uppers would be back in stock. None of the sale people had any answers period! just a bunch of run around.

I got ahold of one of the supervisors who went into the back room while I was on the phone and found a 24" upper "blem" which had a miniscule spot on the receiver that missed the anodize and shipped it to me for a $75 discount.

This all happened immediately after I finally got ahold of a supervisor. Don't waste time talking to the peons !

Randy

DougGuy
09-11-2018, 09:05 PM
Doug: if you want something from PSA that is listed as out of stock call in and get a number for a supervisor.

Well, thanks for that, I took your advice and got hold of a very nice super in the customer service department, he went and looked, and also went on into the back and talked to the techs that actually do their builds, they didn't have any 8.5" or 10.5" barrels, they were waiting on the barrel supplier and have no idea when they will ship, but he did go and expedite the order for the 7.5" upper that I had already ordered, and he got it shipped out today which was very good of him to do and I appreciated it immensely! Hopefully the brown truck will beat the storm here with all of the necessary parts.

Walmart actually had some supersonic 125gr American Eagle and some subsonic 220gr Remington UMC ammo on the shelves so I was able to get 40rds of each, for $60 in total. Not too bad I guess, I have brass, primers, powder, but no boolits.

Walmart employees were busy stripping the firearms from the displays and storing them in their boxes, they quit selling firearms when a state of emergency is declared. I guess I was LUCKY to get ammo, I bet tomorrow the ammo shelves are barricaded and have notes posted saying no ammo or firearms sales during the state of emergency.

FWIW, I couldn't find any complete upper in 300 BO with a 10.5" barrel length with the 9" mlok handguard I wanted, seems everyone wants that caliber and barrel length all of a sudden. Not only is PSA out of stock, all of the others I checked were out too. I could find them, without a BCG or CH, for the same price PSA sells a complete upper for.

nagantguy
09-11-2018, 09:57 PM
Ive got 4 psa ars now that ive put together with there parts. All are great guns and a real good bang for the buck.

Exactly; a fine arm for the money! On my third psa and love them!

DougGuy
09-13-2018, 04:13 PM
The infamous Brown Truck delivered the goods, I was able to complete the build before this storm comes rolling in here..

PSA 7 1/2" 300 AAC SBA3 pistol brace, Vortex Sparc AR red dot sight, MBUS Gen2 open sights, Magpul furniture and 30rd 300 Blackout mag. Has the EPT polished trigger and it is crisp and manageable as advertised. Unfired, untested, unsighted, but it's finished, within budget, on time, and barely within the 8lb weight limit fully loaded with 220gr subsonic!

MANY THANKS to the fine folks at Palmetto State Armory, and especially to their customer service who expedited my parts so they would arrive before Hurricane Florence arrives!

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/AR%20Stuff/AR-15-768pasted_zpsrgrltfon.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/AR%20Stuff/AR-15-768pasted_zpsrgrltfon.jpg.html)

KMac
09-13-2018, 04:59 PM
Dougguy,
Nice build you did there. Love their EPT trigger and grab em when they are on sale for $29.95. I have 3 of the PSA lowers that I built and they are good to go. Any interest in a 3 cav (2 PB 1 GC) NOE .311 247 mold? I would trade for some of your services.

Texas by God
09-13-2018, 06:04 PM
Welcome to your new addiction! My very first build was a PSA upper on an Anderson lower and it is a very fine carbine. Try 110 grain SuperSonics if you want to see what the little cartridge is all about. You will love it!

Kevinakaq
09-13-2018, 06:30 PM
Congrats Doug! Sorry the 10.5” didnt work out but looks like you have a fine setup there. I blame you and this thread as you as I am back on the psa website looking at the 6.5 grendal...haha! Enjoy and good luck with the storm!

DougGuy
09-13-2018, 07:27 PM
Congrats Doug! Sorry the 10.5” didnt work out but looks like you have a fine setup there. I blame you and this thread as you as I am back on the psa website looking at the 6.5 grendal...haha! Enjoy and good luck with the storm!

Well I *WOULD* have gotten a 10.5" barrel but........ Somebody was suggesting to build one instead of buy one and the 10.5 uppers are STILL out of stock... So..... Ya gots to do what ya gots to do!! No harm Kevin, I'm pokin ya in the ribs over that one. :bigsmyl2:

This is a very close quarters defense arm, in my house, on my property, almost any ammo I shoot will be somewhat over-penetrative so the shorter barrel might be an asset considering this is a residential neighborhood with mostly brick houses. 220gr j-word runs 1015fps out of the Remington test barrel, would that be a rifle? 20" barrel maybe? in a 7.5" pistol length barrel it will be almost on the order of the vaunted old 1911 level of energy, right? Not a dang thing wrong with that either so maybe I have built a gun that manages to squeeze the important parts of the 45 ACP cartridge into a 30rd 30 caliber format.

This upper has the same 9" MLOK that the 10.5" has so I can always rebarrel it later but I will probably just build a different one, if I can figure out a job for it that this shorty can't do.

Kevinakaq
09-13-2018, 07:28 PM
How do you like that SBA3 brace?

DougGuy
09-13-2018, 07:45 PM
That's real practical, I can use it regardless of where it is set.

Dougguy,
Nice build you did there. Love their EPT trigger and grab em when they are on sale for $29.95. I have 3 of the PSA lowers that I built and they are good to go. Any interest in a 3 cav (2 PB 1 GC) NOE .311 247 mold? I would trade for some of your services.

Thanks! I haven't even shot this one the first time and I already like that trigger. It's stiff but crisp. I can handle that.

Not sure I am even going to feed this with cast. I like off the shelf stuff if it's gonna be used for self defense, and I didn't build this one to be a shooter. Break it in, sight it in, load it for bear, and it will sit at the ready until and if needed.

KMac
09-13-2018, 09:25 PM
Not sure I am even going to feed this with cast. I like off the shelf stuff if it's gonna be used for self defense, and I didn't build this one to be a shooter. Break it in, sight it in, load it for bear, and it will sit at the ready until and if needed.

No problem.
I will just sell the mold. Need to send my 1911 barrel to you. I will get with you when everything is back to normal for you.

Hamish
09-14-2018, 07:29 AM
For those of us shooting short bbl.s, this has some interesting chrono testing: https://youtu.be/7b6vCcnZ2Qc

DougGuy
09-14-2018, 11:17 AM
For those of us shooting short bbl.s, this has some interesting chrono testing: https://youtu.be/7b6vCcnZ2Qc

Interesting, his quote stating the 300 Blackout was developed for 8" - 9" barrels. I am going to have to get QL on this puter so I can look at % of powder burn in a 7.5" as I am planning on using H110 for propellant.

DougGuy
09-14-2018, 12:11 PM
I blame you and this thread as you as I am back on the psa website looking at the 6.5 grendal...haha! Enjoy and good luck with the storm!

You're gonna hate me even more now, I got email and they have the NiB finshed BCG for $79 free shipping. My bolt is a little rough when it travels so I popped the buy now, can always sell the stock one since it is still technically new and unfired..

Kevinakaq
09-14-2018, 07:30 PM
You're gonna hate me even more now, I got email and they have the NiB finshed BCG for $79 free shipping. My bolt is a little rough when it travels so I popped the buy now, can always sell the stock one since it is still technically new and unfired..

Yeah i saw that...prompted me to look more and ended up with another kit in flat dark earth, 5.56 16” upper with the NIB bolt carrier group etc. Already had one of their stealth lowers that was begging to be used. Makes sense though as I plan to give my psa m4 lookalike to my brother for xmas. At least they is how i justified the purchase...

Fishman
09-16-2018, 02:37 PM
If anyone is interested, PSA has a daily deal for a very similar kit to what Doug guy put together for $349 with free shipping. Same brace and barrel length but 6” handguard and none of the extras. Ready to build on your lower.

DougGuy
09-16-2018, 02:43 PM
If anyone is interested, PSA has a daily deal for a very similar kit to what Doug guy put together for $349 with free shipping. Same brace and barrel length but 6” handguard and none of the extras. Ready to build on your lower.

They also have the complete rifle, (edit: PISTOL) 300 AAC 7.5" barrel, 6" handguard, SBA3 pistol brace, EPT trigger, 30rd mag, free shipping for $499 hard to beat the price. Weekend special!

I gotta give it to their customer service too, I got a supervisor and he expedited my two orders so they arrived here and my build was complete on Thursday, ahead of the storm. That was very good of them to do, made all the difference in the world for me. I was GLAD that the storm spared our area, and it's job was to make me feel amply armed during the impending aftermath that never materialized, couldn't have done it without their caring attitude and consideration.

Edit: Just saw this too---- PSA 8.5" Pistol-length 300AAC Blackout 1/8 Phosphate 6" Lightweight M-Lok Classic Shockwave Pistol Kit $299 free shipping.

Fishman
09-16-2018, 02:57 PM
Yes, PSA has always done me right and they make good stuff. I really like my .308 ar10 and need to work it out a bit more come to think of it. I’m glad the storm spared you and yours.