PDA

View Full Version : 1911 Magazines

Petrol & Powder
09-03-2018, 06:13 PM
OK - Years ago there was a short list of 1911 magazines that were known to be reliable. It has been a while since I delved into this topic, but here goes:

What are the currently available 1911 magazines (single stack) that are considered to the most reliable ?

ShooterAZ
09-03-2018, 06:17 PM
I use the Wilson Combat #47D mags, they are very reliable for me.

Chad5005
09-03-2018, 06:26 PM
I second Wilson combat,hard to beat

Petrol & Powder
09-03-2018, 06:54 PM
Wilson Magazines were the top pick 20+ years ago.
Seems they are holding onto that reputation.

tazman
09-03-2018, 07:09 PM
I purchased a lot of 12 magazines a few months ago from a guy on eBay for about $120. Not sure what manufacturer as they are not marked but I believe they are Checkmate. They were set up for SWC but I use them for everything. 8 Round mags.
I have yet to have trouble with any of them and have used them in all 4 of my 1911 pistols with a variety of loads. (RIA, Springfield, and Sig)
The only other non factory mags I have purchased were Shooting Star. No trouble with those either.

jcren
09-03-2018, 07:16 PM
Chip McCormick

ReloaderFred
09-03-2018, 07:21 PM
I've found CheckMate magazines to be the most reliable in all my 1911's.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Wild Bill 7
09-03-2018, 07:34 PM
About 20 years ago I bought 10 Chip McCormick stainless 10 round mags (1911 style single stack) for $100 and haven't looked back. They have been great mags for my 1911's.

Ickisrulz
09-03-2018, 07:45 PM
Cobra Tripp. These are pretty expensive.

BNE
09-03-2018, 07:51 PM

+1. My favorite so far.

Bazoo
09-03-2018, 08:10 PM
My personal experience is that the following brands are reliable,
Metalform,
springfield armory milspec (metalform),
Kimber (checkmate),
checkmate,
colt (some of both metalform and checkmate depending on vintage)
Wilson combat
Ed brown
Chip McCormick shooting star

I've had all of these different brands and havent had much in the way of trouble. Some of the checkmate mags I had a few problems with. Mostly feeling like I needed to change springs, although I never had any problems. Had one that cracked the feedlips on a kimber marked mag.

I've not had any experience with mecgar, but im told they are good.

Currently, I have 4 1911 mags. 2 checkmates, 1 springfield factory stainless, and 1 wilson D47 with metal baseplate. I carry that wilson as a reload so I have 1 extra round, but without having the mag sticking out of the bottom of my gun. That and I bought it used for 10 bucks.

I might add, that all these mags were or are currently used in my springfield armory milspec stainless.

LUCKYDAWG13
09-03-2018, 09:06 PM

One more Vote https://www.brownells.com/magazines/handgun-magazines/magazines/1911-45acp-wilson-rogers-magazines-prod16398.aspx

gmsharps
09-03-2018, 09:19 PM
During my Ipsc days I had built a 45 from parts with a bit of help from some Army Markmanship Unit assistance. Magazines were a real issue. I used GI mags with inconsistent results. I used some Wilson mags with excellent results and mags made by Metalform worked flawlessly. I contacted them and was able to procure a batch of mags (about 6 or 7) with rounded followers and removable floorplates to help in cleaning the mags and no more issues from the mags just the shooter.

gmsharps

BD
09-03-2018, 09:21 PM
As to the Cobra Tripp mags, I bought Four 10 rounders and four 8 rounders when they first came out. Broke the ejector off three 1911s before I figured out the that the back of the 10 round mags was taller than spec. I tried talking with Tripp, only got his wife, (three times), no customer service at all. I filed a notch in them so they clear the ejectors and they've been good ever since. But I'll never buy another Tripp mag as long as I live.

35remington
09-03-2018, 09:55 PM
If you are using ball or ball profile HP’s original type tapered lip magazines are the most correct prescription.

samari46
09-03-2018, 10:45 PM
Bought 6 Chip McCormick 6 rounders some years back when doing some steel plate matches. Except for the shooter all functioned great, and expect the last 5 I bought to be as good as well. Friend gave me a 10 rounder but the small tabs wouldn't allow it to lock up with the mag catch. Removed the offending tabs and fit and locked up great. Buddy who gave it to me was suprised when he saw it in my 1911A1. Never doubt a little yankee ingenuity. Frank

fast ronnie
09-04-2018, 12:53 AM
Wilson Combat here.

Greg S
09-04-2018, 02:26 AM
Wilson 47D 7 rounders for solcial work and 8 rounders for games. For 9mms look @ Metalform rounders. The are the Springfield Armory style with the ramp to preventmfirst round nose dives in your game guns.

I tried the the Wilson 9mm ETM 1st Gen and they were a no go. Still need to return them or toss them. Good for 6 rounds but anymore and it's a feedway jam.

Bencareful not to use the Chip McCormicks on alloy framed guns. On slidelock, the bottom of the follower strikes the feedramp and will, over time wear through the anodizing and leave dent marks.

Petrol & Powder
09-04-2018, 06:00 AM
Thanks for the responses.

Wilson was considered the top of the line about 20-25 years ago and it seems they are still holding onto their reputation.

I had good feed reliability with the factory Colt mags (which I believe were Checkmate manufacture but I don't recall). However I did have one that the floor plate separated. That resulted in the magazine tube remaining locked in the gun but the floor plate, spring, follower and all of the rounds ejecting out the bottom of the pistol. Not an easy malfunction to recover from ! Fortunately it was just during some friendly competition. I found all the parts, tacked the floor plate back on with a welder, filed in back down and used that mag for years after that.

str8wal
09-04-2018, 10:06 AM
Chip McCormick

Powermags. All I use!

marlin39a
09-04-2018, 11:30 AM
Wilson Combat in my 45 ACP pistols, and my 38 Super. Pricey, but I believe the best there is.

Bigslug
09-04-2018, 08:40 PM
If I were buying more 1911 mags, Checkmate is producing an option with the original tapered GI feed lips. This adheres to the First Commandment: Thou Shalt Not **** With John Browning's Blueprints. The GI profile mags fed the somewhat ill-advised 452423's gargantuan meplat with the least ramp-induced damage to the nose of all the mags I tried. I've since moved on to saner profiles, but that testing made me a believer.

marek313
09-04-2018, 08:58 PM
As to the Cobra Tripp mags, I bought Four 10 rounders and four 8 rounders when they first came out. Broke the ejector off three 1911s before I figured out the that the back of the 10 round mags was taller than spec. I tried talking with Tripp, only got his wife, (three times), no customer service at all. I filed a notch in them so they clear the ejectors and they've been good ever since. But I'll never buy another Tripp mag as long as I live.

Thats good to know. I just bought Rock Island 1911 in 10mm that came with 2 10 round Tripp Cobras. I'll have to check those now make sure I dont have the same problem.
Thank you.

Petrol & Powder
09-05-2018, 06:34 AM
So with the Wilson Combat magazine, 8 round or 7 round?

Greg S
09-05-2018, 09:43 AM
I prefer 7 rounder for social. The 8 rounders have a thinner spring wire and require annual changes or when problems occur.

ShooterAZ
09-05-2018, 09:54 AM
I prefer the 8 round mags w/baseplate. They are very easy to disassemble and clean. If you somehow manage to break or damage a mag during the course of normal use, Wilson will replace it. I have noticed no difference in reliability between the 7 or 8 round mags.

Der Gebirgsjager
09-05-2018, 10:15 AM
I've got an even dozen 1911-type .45s, and used to have more. I've shot them extensively over the years, both in target practice and for qualification, and carried them extensively but was never a participant in the run, dodge, duck and hide competitions. I've encountered a bad magazine here and there, but very few that had a good appearance that had not been stepped on or otherwise mistreated. I ran across a couple of early WW I mags that didn't work well, and had a stainless mag that lost it's base plate, unknown makes. Once in awhile I've had one that wasn't very reliable in one pistol, but which had flawless function in another pistol and then marked them for exclusive use in that pistol only. Reading through the preceding posts I see lots of recommendations for certain makes, but few condemnations of specific brands. It is my opinion that today's mags are good from almost all makers. I can't make a hard and fast statement that all are good from all makers, not having tried them all, and some have gone and others will no doubt come on the market. But one example I can give is 1911 mags made by Triple K Mfg. Co. You'll get varied opinions on their mags, and they make many after market and replacement mags for many pistols. Once or twice a year they will offer mags at a great discount from their usual prices, but to get the discount you have to buy a certain number of that particular type of mag, perhaps a minimum of 3 or maybe 5. I took advantage of these sales several years ago and among others purchased 1911 mags in quantity, perhaps a dozen this time and a dozen the next time, and now have a couple of shoe boxes full of new Triple K 1911 mags in both stainless and blue. The only thing that I have sometimes found it necessary to do is to tweek the little doglegged tab on the followers with a pair of non-marring parallel jaw pliers, usually bending it upward a bit to reliably activate the slide stop of a particular pistol. I then dedicate that mag to that pistol, as once this adjustment is made for "x" pistol it may not work to perform the task in "y" pistol. My .45s include specimens made by Colt, Ithaca, AMT, S&W, Ballister-Molina, etc., and it's surprising how this one hold open feature varies a little from pistol to pistol. Otherwise, I have experienced no feeding or other reliability issues with these magazines, which cost a fraction of the "big name" makes. You might keep this in mind, watch for their sales, and try a few out.

youngmman
09-05-2018, 11:11 AM
I've used several brands but the Ed Brown 8 pack mags work flawlessly in my loaded Springfield Armory guns.

KCSO
09-05-2018, 12:13 PM
All we sell to customers who are serious are Wilson been using them for as long as he has been making them. They have never let me down on the range 500 rounds a day or in the field soaked in river water and mud.

35remington
09-05-2018, 06:30 PM
Some magazine designs are inferior. If one has to ask why, a study of how types differ is in order.

A hint: some magazines have features that others lack. At that point one is well advised to wonder if the presence or absence of a feature indicates a flaw in the design.

It often does. The short rear skirt folded follower has always been inferior to the original configuration, for instance.

Kraschenbirn
09-05-2018, 07:04 PM
Another +1 for Chip McCormick. Around 30 years ago, I was really into IPSC, Steel Challenge, NRA Action, etc. and invested in a dozen McCormick 8-rounders. Have replaced the springs a couple times over the years but, otherwise, not a single problem. This morning, ran a couple hundred rounds through two different 1911s...a Series 70 Gold Cup and a pre-70 Commander...interchanging magazines between guns, without a single bobble.

Bill

DocSavage
09-05-2018, 10:16 PM
I have several mags 45,10mm 40 S&W and 9mm from Wilson,Tripp,Metalform,Checkmate and ACT(S&W) for several makes of 1911 and all feed just about everything but some from Metalform in 9 mm will not drop free from
my RIA and Springfield Armory.

wv109323
09-06-2018, 12:50 AM
I think more info is needed to answer your question fairly.What bullet,what length barrel,what load and how many rounds are parameters that may make a difference in the best answer. So I give you my .02 cents worth.
Scenario one.) Withdraw enough money from your savings account that it will cause your wife to divorce you and then sell a kidney. Combine the two amounts and buy the magazine that is advertised in full color in all the gun rags. Make sure the brand has a person's name, a model number and at least one character or symbol. An example is : Jack Smith M55 Super Shooting Star. 8 rounder. Price is no object.
Scenario Two.) Take a stock Colt magazine and put a Pachmayr SS follower in it. Use this for about 250,000 rounds. Watch for a crack on the rear of the mag out to the top lip. The earlier Colt mags made in the 1940's will not crack.. Another good way to go is an aftermarket Metalform. I can not say much about them as none of mine has over 10k rounds through them. So I don't know if they are worth the price of $15.00 or not.

35remington
09-06-2018, 08:22 AM
Radius the clearance cut corners in the back of the magazine with a small round file. This eliminates the stress riser that causes cracking.

Paying 35-40 bucks a mag is more than a little bit excessive.

Petrol & Powder
09-06-2018, 08:33 AM
wv109323- Thanks for the views on money vs. satisfaction - that gave me a good laugh. Every bit of it is true.

I was a user of the 1911 for many years and drifted away from that platform many years ago for various reasons.
I'm going to start playing with the 1911 again.
20-25 years ago, there were some very good 1911 magazine and some junk. Overall it seems nothing has changed in that department.

Thanks to all for the responses.

MtnGunner
09-06-2018, 11:16 PM
I like the Wilsons and the McCormicks, both have been reliable for me. I have used 8 round mags exclusively.

gray wolf
09-11-2018, 12:44 PM
ww.midwayusa.com/product/1762174459/springfield-armory-magazine-1911-government-commander-45-acp

$13.99 blued $15.99 Stainless, used them for years and they work fine.
whatever you want for carry gun, your choice. But these mags have worked very well for me in any 1911 pattern gun.

Crash_Corrigan
09-11-2018, 03:38 PM
A few years back I bought 20 GI mags from CMP. They had a deal where you bought 10 mags in a carton for a very decent price. I went for two cartons. I have a lifetime supply of mags that work. These are genuine Colt mags in the GI style. Nothing fancy, no stainless steel and not a piece of plastic in sight. They came wrapped in oiled paper and in perfect condition and they all work perfectly.

I strap on my 1911 when I get up and take it off when I go to bed or take a nap. I have loaded magazines hidden all over the house so I am never more than 8 feet away from a reload and I pack two mags on a carrier on my left side. My home defense needs are met with my Norinco '97 hidden in the living room behind a shelf/cabinet and a Baker side by side 12 gauge in the bedroom. I do not entertain kids or children so these guns are loaded and my trusty Sgt Rambo, a 12 lb chihuahua has sharp teeth and a killer heart..

gray wolf
09-11-2018, 06:50 PM
A few years back I bought 20 GI mags from CMP. They had a deal where you bought 10 mags in a carton for a very decent price. I went for two cartons. I have a lifetime supply of mags that work. These are genuine Colt mags in the GI style. Nothing fancy, no stainless steel and not a piece of plastic in sight. They came wrapped in oiled paper and in perfect condition and they all work perfectly.

That's all you need with a pistol that is set up correctly. I ----personally can't see 30/40$$ for a Mag.

+ how many people let a 30 or 40 $$ mag hit the ground when they practice reloads. Guy told me once--Oh I will do it if I have to.

He got ticked when I told him "no you will not" at least not very well.

charlie b
09-12-2018, 07:07 PM
Chip McCormick

Same here. Wilson's are good too but I standardized on Chip's due to cost.

NEW GI mags work well. Used quite a few of them. But, I really didn't trust one until it had a few hundred rounds through it without hiccup.

And, yes, I do drop all of them when practicing :)

El Bibliotecario
09-12-2018, 10:20 PM
Several years ago Bill Laughridge of Cylinder and Slide told me that he had found factory Colt magazines to be as good as any of the premium brands.