PDA

View Full Version : 92 loading gate

Thundermaker
09-01-2018, 07:00 PM
Got my slicked up rossi 92 today. It works great, but I have one problem. It's a bugger for me to load with my fat thumbs. It's hard for me to push the cartridge past the end of the gate so it can be retained.

Here's my question. Would it hurt anything if I cut a shallow (maybe 1/16" deep), semi-circular clearance out of the receiver in this area for my thumb so I can slip that case a little further forward?

jmort
09-01-2018, 07:23 PM
Look at how Steve does it. Stock, that will cut you. Edges need to be melted.

Thundermaker
09-01-2018, 07:51 PM
The edges have been rounded. All that work was done. The problem I'm having is that the cutout in the receiver is dead flush with the end of the gate, and it's hard for me to push the cartridge forward far enough to clear the gate and let it pop up to retain the cartridge. I have to really wedge my thumb in there to get it loaded.

Geezer in NH
09-01-2018, 08:06 PM
Use a cartridge that won't go into the magazine to push the last one in. Simple many have had that problem and that is the cure and has been for many years

pietro
09-01-2018, 08:41 PM
https://i2.wp.com/guntoters.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/LeverLoading.jpg

Thundermaker
09-01-2018, 08:47 PM
Yeah, but that will be extremely slow on the clock. BTW, I don't know who "Steve" is.

Thundermaker
09-01-2018, 09:15 PM
This is what I was talking about doing btw. It seems that this original had it.

Texas by God
09-01-2018, 09:29 PM
I have to push the last one in with my pinky finger on a .357 Rossi.
Steve is a Rossi guru Stevesgunz.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thundermaker
09-01-2018, 10:34 PM
I have to push the last one in with my pinky finger on a .357 Rossi.
Steve is a Rossi guru Stevesgunz.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I don't have that problem on mine. It has had a lot of work done. The safties were removed and the holes filled. It was deburred and slicked up. It has marbles buckhorn sights with a gold bead front. I just have a problem loading rounds in, whether it's the first or the last. It's not because the magazine spring is too strong. It's because my thumb is too fat to shove the rim past that gate.

modified5
09-01-2018, 11:24 PM
I can’t see cutting that much out of the receiver being a problem at all.
I would make sure there is not being there behind it, and grind it out.

Thundermaker
09-01-2018, 11:33 PM
I sent an email to Steves Gunz asking about it. I really think that just 1/16" or so would make all the difference.

joatmon
09-02-2018, 01:55 AM
I don't see a problem. I'd cut very little at a time till it loads well.
Aaron

indian joe
09-02-2018, 02:32 AM
I don't have that problem on mine. It has had a lot of work done. The safties were removed and the holes filled. It was deburred and slicked up. It has marbles buckhorn sights with a gold bead front. I just have a problem loading rounds in, whether it's the first or the last. It's not because the magazine spring is too strong. It's because my thumb is too fat to shove the rim past that gate.

When ya load a 92 - only ever shove the last round loaded past the gate -- just poke em 3 parts tha way in then shove in another - if they inclined to pop back out - then ya cradle the rifle in the crook of yr left arm and use second finger of yr left to retain the round half loaded till ya foller up with the next - when shes full use the tip of yr little finger right hand to push the last one in past the gate - loading every round right through the loading gate is - S L O W !! (on a 92)

jmort
09-02-2018, 08:35 AM
Here is what he did to mine:

"The action job consists of easing up on that loading gate, and cleaning up the sharp edges plus shortening the mag tube spring to make it load easier. "
http://stevesgunz.com/action-work/

Might want to cut the magizine spring
I have zero trouble loading either of mine.

Handloader109
09-02-2018, 01:55 PM
I've pretty small hands and I still have to use pinky for last round. And I'm tempted to cut a bit off the spring myself. It might help to round off the receiver a bit, just go slow.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Speedo66
09-03-2018, 08:50 PM
Same as others have mentioned, I start it in with my thumb, then finish pushing it in with my index finger.