PDA

View Full Version : A master chain saw restorer

snowwolfe
08-31-2018, 11:06 PM
This level of craftsmanship is disappearing from America

https://youtu.be/TpRdVBC5PNo

Duckiller
09-01-2018, 01:15 AM
He works faster than I do and does things that I wouldn't dream of attempting.

jonp
09-01-2018, 04:34 AM
Sweet! Thanks for that as I just learned a good trick on rewinding a spring using a nail and zip ties to keep it wound up. I love old saws but when using one everyone keep in mind that they have no chain break. I forgot this using a similar sized old Jonsered and it cost me 2 fingers

bedbugbilly
09-01-2018, 08:16 AM
Great video! Thanks for sharing. Got me to thinking about the old Homelite XL that Dad bought back then - we put a lot of hours on that saw - when I settled the estate, my brother took it and as far as I know, it's still running. Liked that video so much I passed it on to others that I know would appreciate it!

Nueces
09-01-2018, 12:11 PM
Not my usual cuppa, but this guy grabbed my attention just a few seconds in. Wonderful video for mining techniques of tool or gun restoration. I subscribed.

Grmps
09-01-2018, 02:09 PM
I love watching master craftsmen at work

toallmy
09-01-2018, 04:07 PM
Nice work on removing the screws without damaging them , along with all the other parts as well .

Mal Paso
09-01-2018, 08:01 PM
He does really well with that impact driver. I wonder if the electric ones do as well. I have battery impacts now up to 1400 ftlbs but I might get one of those hammer driven ones before they forget how to make them.

Someone should tell him about acetone and ATF.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-01-2018, 08:27 PM
I have my Dad's old hammer driven impact screwdriver...and I did use it once this summer removing screws on a rusty trailer.

FISH4BUGS
09-02-2018, 06:48 AM
I have a hard time just boiling water. :) This guy has my utmost respect. His mechanical abilities are astounding to me.
I think a major mechanical accomplishment is learning how to sharpen my mower blade!

snowwolfe
09-02-2018, 09:24 AM
He does really well with that impact driver. I wonder if the electric ones do as well. I have battery impacts now up to 1400 ftlbs but I might get one of those hammer driven ones before they forget how to make them.

After watching the video it reminded me I needed an impact screw driver so just purchased one of these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Capri-Tools-1-2-in-Drive-Premium-Impact-Screwdriver-Set-with-Bits-10-Piece/262878519288?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Der Gebirgsjager
09-02-2018, 11:29 AM
Good grief! Send that guy over to my place. I've got 3 old ones he can work on! Great video.

MrWolf
09-02-2018, 11:44 AM
Wow. Could never do that. I would have left over parts. Thanks for posting.

mold maker
09-02-2018, 12:43 PM
My first paying job (12 yo in 1954) was as a small engine mechanic. I remember doing some of the tricks he used like cutting a slot in a replacement bolt to retain the bowel when the pot metal stripped.
Golly that was a long time ago.

PaulG67
09-02-2018, 12:49 PM
Nice work for sure, attention to detail. One thing he did I certainly would not have bothered with was getting the kinks out of the chain, I would have replaced it.

Finster101
09-02-2018, 12:52 PM

The hammer one works better for this type of work. With an electric one they tend to snap the head off or distort the slot or Philips head.

beemer
09-02-2018, 12:53 PM
I like where he said "Are you kidding me", I resemble that remark. All of us that have kept old worn out stuff running out of necessity can appreciate that video. He did a good job, my hat is off to him.

I bought a used PRO MAC 10-10 in the 70's. It finally started having a funny rattle several years later. It was getting to hard to find parts but after some looking I got a carb kit and the caged drive side and rod bearings. I did a total tear down, cleaning and reassembly. It ran for many years after that. I heated two houses for 18-20 years with that saw plus cutting some pulp wood and timber. It was the best saw I ever owned.

I Like to pick up old tools, clean them up and put them in working order. Just yesterday I got out my '69 Coleman 502 single burner stove, it wouldn't work. I took it apart and cleaned it up, I was lucky it was in good shape just dirty. I got to thinking about it after a post here about cleaning a propane stove.

Mal Paso
09-02-2018, 02:33 PM
The hammer one works better for this type of work. With an electric one they tend to snap the head off or distort the slot or Philips head.

That's what I was thinking. Forward thrust at the same time as the impact rotation. I always hit the flats on plumbing unions before I try to take them apart.

My last car engine tear down was almost all done with a 1/4" Makita Impact. No rust or aluminum oxide issues, just removing torqued bolts. Awesome! I had been looking to upgrade my (little) air compressor and get one of the new 1200 ftlb 1/2" impact wrenches and found the new Milwaukee 18 volt is rated at 1400 ftlbs. The rating is likely down hill with wind at your back but I am quite confident you could shear 3/4" bolts at the highest setting if you weren't careful.

rl69
09-02-2018, 05:38 PM
No sir thouse Milwaukee impacts are the real deal

buckwheatpaul
09-02-2018, 08:36 PM
That was great! Thanks for sharing!