PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Honey Harvest

Reddirt62
08-31-2018, 10:29 PM
Not a bad year, between my son and I looks like about 300#.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180901/574e17f288c51b9a72dd5d6978d41cd8.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180901/6ea2f2b076d478011ef96abb7ec1b3ea.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180901/6f428f07c52125516bbe557b00e34676.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

corbinace
08-31-2018, 10:43 PM
You are either single or your wife is slated for sainthood.

Only the finished product is allowed in our kitchen.

Nicely filled out comb there, congrats. Fun times with the kids.

Chad5005
08-31-2018, 10:51 PM
very nice,what kind of honey is it,i eat local tupelo honey,they say its better for diabetics

Reddirt62
08-31-2018, 11:10 PM
The wife is a saint....and since I live in the middle of OKC....it is a bit of everything- kind of honey.

Oily
09-01-2018, 02:39 AM
Reddirt you are the man! Great to see your son in there with you! My Dad raised bees and collected honey even though my mom was allergic to bee stings. She wasn't deathly allergic but painfull. Never got the itch myself,but sure did enjoy the product. Great to see Father/Son fellowship these days. Wife and I had 4 girls so it is not the same. Even with the son in laws. Hope he is into the cast Boolit life with you as it can be a way to connect with the younger generation as I have found with my oldest granddaughter "14"

jonp
09-01-2018, 04:27 AM
For those of us that have no idea what you guys are doing could you describe the pictures and more importantly, are you going to sell some?

Reddirt62
09-01-2018, 12:33 PM
For those of us that have no idea what you guys are doing could you describe the pictures and more importantly, are you going to sell some?The machine is an extractor and it spins the honey from the frames, first pic is my son holding said frame before the cappings are removed. We do sell but as of yet have not shipped any. 8)

lightman
09-01-2018, 02:35 PM
Cool pictures! It looks like your Wife has a nice high end kitchen. We are about to redo ours and I'm paying more attention to cabinets, counter tops and appliances.

trapper9260
09-01-2018, 04:14 PM
I let a bee farmer put 6 hives on my place and so far out of the 6, he came out with about 700lbs. he said.He runs about 2,000 hives and his son went in with him also.

sukivel
09-01-2018, 05:06 PM
An extractor in the kitchen...nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bills Shed
09-01-2018, 06:17 PM
Extractor in the house! I am relegated to the shed!

Finster101
09-01-2018, 06:45 PM
eat local tupelo honey

Thread Hijack!

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&ei=RRWLW_zZFoXy5gLz37KADQ&q=tupelo+honey+song&oq=tupelo+&gs_l=psy-ab.1.5.0i131l2j0l8.2577.5268..7762...0.0..0.64.393 .7......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i10._Yfv5NH3WNI

Definitely looks nice if you decide to ship any I would be interested.

xs11jack
09-01-2018, 07:13 PM
How about the wax, and do you sell any of it. Around St. Louis they want $18 to $25 for a pound of wax. I just can't afford that steep a price.
Ole Jack

osteodoc08
09-02-2018, 04:13 PM
Love honey that’s local.

For the uninitiated, please note that’s an ELECTRIC extractor. For all of those that have done it manually, KNOW the amount of work that goes into extraction. That’s a super nice unit.

If you decide to sell, please do so in the swap and sell and not in this thread.

Reddirt62
09-02-2018, 07:22 PM
How about the wax, and do you sell any of it. Around St. Louis they want $18 to $25 for a pound of wax. I just can't afford that steep a price.
Ole JackNo, we use all the wax we get.

Reddirt62
09-02-2018, 07:23 PM
Love honey that’s local.

For the uninitiated, please note that’s an ELECTRIC extractor. For all of those that have done it manually, KNOW the amount of work that goes into extraction. That’s a super nice unit.

If you decide to sell, please do so in the swap and sell and not in this thread.I have the hand crank for it as well....now THAT is work!!

brewer12345
09-02-2018, 07:32 PM
Heh, we are probably going to end up with over 400 pounds this year. Since I like having several different lots of honey from different locations, we harvest several times a year. The two frame hand crank extractor gets a real workout.

T-Bird
09-02-2018, 08:12 PM
Wow, you guys are blowin' my mind. My oldest daughter started beekeeping this year in No Ala. She has 2 hives, and has fascinated the entire family with her efforts, and the the things we've all learned about bees. She got 1 1/2 gal honey a few weeks ago and we were all thrilled. I got some and it was good but alot different from the local honey we buy from a beekeeper where we live. Never realized the difference in local honeys until now. This is so cool!

Reddirt62
09-03-2018, 12:10 AM
Wow, you guys are blowin' my mind. My oldest daughter started beekeeping this year in No Ala. She has 2 hives, and has fascinated the entire family with her efforts, and the the things we've all learned about bees. She got 1 1/2 gal honey a few weeks ago and we were all thrilled. I got some and it was good but alot different from the local honey we buy from a beekeeper where we live. Never realized the difference in local honeys until now. This is so cool!Good for your daughter!! It is actually micro-local, honey made 5 miles from me can be very different from mine.

owejia
09-03-2018, 09:17 AM
Youngest brother has been bee keeping for several years. Was over Sat. for a family get together and he harvested 66, 3.5 gallon buckets this year. Retiring as a rural mail carrier end of September. Working on a cart with some kind of hydraulic clamp to lift and rotate the 50 lb honey boxes off of the hives so can check hives. Started as a hobby but has turned into a business and a lot of work. Will supplement his retirement income from the post office. Told him should become a Cast Boolit vendor to offer his excess bees wax for sale.

upr45
09-03-2018, 09:43 AM
Grandpa had bees, his extractor was a hand crank type. Have good memories of turning the crank and listening to him!

Wolfer
09-03-2018, 09:59 AM
It's been a bad year here. I came into spring with 9 production hives. Ive managed to take about 3 gallons from 2 of those. The rest haven't made enough to get them through the winter. My beekeeping buddies have the same story.
I started feeding a few weeks ago. They have took about 100 lbs of sugar so far.

Reddirt62
09-03-2018, 12:29 PM
It's been a bad year here. I came into spring with 9 production hives. Ive managed to take about 3 gallons from 2 of those. The rest haven't made enough to get them through the winter. My beekeeping buddies have the same story.
I started feeding a few weeks ago. They have took about 100 lbs of sugar so far.Sorry to hear that! We are having excellent flows but my hives got into some poison twice this year and had to work hard to come back from that. I have no idea how, what or where the source of the poison was. We have a flow going on right now in fact.

texasnative46
09-03-2018, 05:06 PM
osteodoc08,

You can say that again. = Manual extraction by spinning the wheel is a real PAIN & soon wears one's arms out.
(I never had enough $$$$$$ to buy a fancy electric rig, when we had hives.)

yours, tex

T-Bird
09-03-2018, 08:33 PM
I'm gonna keep following this thread

shooterg
09-03-2018, 10:59 PM
I'm jealous - our last 2 hives just disappeared -poof ! this past year. Just ain't got the energy to start from scratch again.

Reddirt62
09-04-2018, 01:13 AM
I'm jealous - our last 2 hives just disappeared -poof ! this past year. Just ain't got the energy to start from scratch again.That is the price to pay for post varroa beekeeping....it is much harder now, I know because I started pre-varroa.....so easy back then.

woodbutcher
09-05-2018, 12:10 AM
:-D Nothing better than fresh harvested honey.Except MORE.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Reddirt62
09-05-2018, 12:11 AM
:-D Nothing better than fresh harvested honey.Except MORE.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
LeoFunny story......I am not a lover of honey...dont hate it, just love bees.

Wayne R. Scott
09-05-2018, 01:50 AM
Honey bees are cool.
Here are some photos from one of my hive inspections showing different frames inside the hive. One with capped honey, nectar, and pollen.

Then one with capped honey and nectar.

Then a frame with capped brood and nurse bees attending to the young emerging bees.

Then a couple of photos of the girls outside of the hive on a hot evening trying to cool off.

Reddirt62
09-05-2018, 07:43 AM
Honey bees are cool.
Here are some photos from one of my hive inspections showing different frames inside the hive. One with capped honey, nectar, and pollen.

Then one with capped honey and nectar.

Then a frame with capped brood and nurse bees attending to the young emerging bees.

Then a couple of photos of the girls outside of the hive on a hot evening trying to cool off.Marvelous! You have a very nice queen!

bedbugbilly
09-06-2018, 08:32 AM
Interesting stuff for those of us that know little about beekeeping. I have some acquaintances that have hives - one lost all o this a few years back due to such a cold winter. I offered them the use of the farm if they wanted to put hives out but both told me that they couldn't due to the herbicides used on the crops. They set their hives out in places where farming is no longer done and a more natural and undisturbed environment.

A question - once the honey is spun out of the comb - what has to be done to the honey comb to harvest the beeswax? Is it totally clean? When melted down is it filtered somehow to remove any foul stuff?

You that keep bees are admired in my book - kind of a lost art and an important thing to keep nature in balance.

Reddirt62
09-06-2018, 11:54 AM
Interesting stuff for those of us that know little about beekeeping. I have some acquaintances that have hives - one lost all o this a few years back due to such a cold winter. I offered them the use of the farm if they wanted to put hives out but both told me that they couldn't due to the herbicides used on the crops. They set their hives out in places where farming is no longer done and a more natural and undisturbed environment.

A question - once the honey is spun out of the comb - what has to be done to the honey comb to harvest the beeswax? Is it totally clean? When melted down is it filtered somehow to remove any foul stuff?

You that keep bees are admired in my book - kind of a lost art and an important thing to keep nature in balance.I melt my wax and pass it thru several layers of flour sack cloth to remove any impurities. The comb itself is cleaned by the bees then stored and reused the next season. Only the cappings and other miscellaneous wax is melted down. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180906/1a899a397db0d06f6139c507afa53c75.jpg

brewer12345
09-06-2018, 12:11 PM
Further to what reddirt said, most beekeepers only remove a thin layer of wax that seals the honey in the comb. The comb itself we try hard not to muck up because the bees can refill it.

bedbugbilly
09-06-2018, 06:31 PM
Thank you for answering the question I had - that's really interesting! At our old house, we had a "bee tree" go down in a storm. (hollow red oak). I called one of my acquaintances that is a bee keeper and he and the other fellow I know, worked for close to a week to collect the combs and the bees - a fertile colony. The bees had been in it for quite a few years and the comb or combs ended up being about fifteen feet in length up the inside of the tree. It was interesting to watch the work at it and by the time they were done, they had gathered most of the bees with the exception of probably around 300 or so. He transferred them to his hives and was thrilled to get them - and we were thrilled that somebody wanted them. Unfortunately, it was an extremely cold winter and when I saw him and asked how the bees were doing, he said that he had lost them to the cold. That ws the same year that the other fellow we knew who helped him gather them lost his hives as well.

Thank you again for the explanations - I find it fascinating!

My wife and I were discussing the wax harvest and it brought up another question. I understand why you don't take the comb for the beeswax, but years ago - like probably 55 or 60, Iboth she and I remember our mothers buying boxes of honey in wax combs at the grocery store. It was packaged in a box probably 6 inches square and 2 inches thick - looked just like a comb with honey in it. It was GOOD and I remember cutting pieces off and spreading it on toast - IIRC, we chewed the wax. Were these actual honey combs or were the combs "molded" and honey put in it for the marketing aspect? The combs were perfectly square and about two inches thick.

Wayne R. Scott
09-06-2018, 06:52 PM
The combs were actual honey combs. The frames in the honey super (box used to store honey on top of the brood nest boxes) do not have plastic foundation for the bees to draw comb. The bees will draw natural all bees wax combs and when filled with honey the frames are removed from the hive. Then the squares are cut out by the bee keeper. They, (the bee keepers) also make frames that are divided into squares using a balsa type wood that the bees will fill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsXp9gWhLxg

Reddirt62
09-06-2018, 09:01 PM
50 years ago it was far more common for local beeks to sell comb honey. I have sold it in the past but folks have changed and most these days wouldn't know what to do with it.

Sweetpea
09-06-2018, 09:57 PM
50 years ago it was far more common for local beeks to sell comb honey. I have sold it in the past but folks have changed and most these days wouldn't know what to do with it.

Well I sure know!

2wheelDuke
09-06-2018, 10:24 PM
These bee threads always interest me. I'd like to keep bees someday. I tried to go in on a hive with a friend. I paid a beekeeper to remove them from my property, and we had them placed in my friend's hive box. Either she didn't get the queen, or they just didn't like the box and swarmed off. Actually the queen may not have been caught, because I think there was an excluder plate on the box to not let her out.

I'm actually seeing bees at my kitchen window, so there has to be a hive nearby again. I just haven't been able to spot it yet.

bedbugbilly
09-07-2018, 08:31 AM
Thank you! I hadn't thought about that comb honey that we had as a kid in a long time. I've seen beekeepers selling at flea markets, etc. but I have to avoid such things - actually for the last 52 years - as I'm a diabetic . . and . . . while I may "fall off the wagon" once in a great while and put a little dab in a cup of tea, it will sure raise the blood sugar in a hurry! LOL

Reddirt62 - yep, people have changed. I would imagine that if you asked many youngsters today where honey comes from, their answer would probably be the "grocery store".

A number of years ago, I had a foot sore that developed form a blister - can be a very dangerous thing in a diabetic and I had to have infected bone removed form my left foot. Someone told me about "medicinal honey" - something I had never heard about. I did some research on it and ordered several tubes of it - the doctor said it wouldn't hurt anything and who knows it might help - a refreshing thing to hear from a doctor who is open minded. Evidently, the use of it goes back as far as the Egyptians from what I was reading. Medicinal honey is sterilized IIRC. While I eventually had to have th surgery for bone removal and have th wound packed with antibiotic pellets, when the wound began to heal I used the honey and I do believe it helped it to heal more quickly.

Interesting stuff and IIRC, honey is the only natural product that never spoils?

Thanks for the video - makes my mouth water just watching it!

popper
09-08-2018, 01:08 PM
Remember granpa giving us kids honeycomb, great stuff. We chewed it till all gone, guess the wax is good for us also.
Change subject, any of you raise worms in an urban setting? Red wigglers? for soil treatment and bermuda doesn't compost worth a darn. Had an uncle who did it, seems like he added mustard for feed.