PDA

View Full Version : For thought and meditation

rl69
08-31-2018, 06:52 AM
These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you, and that your joy may be full. JOHN 15:11
What was the joy that Jesus had? Joy should not be confused with happiness. In fact, it is an insult to Jesus Christ to use the word happiness in connection with Him. The joy of Jesus was His absolute self-surrender and self-sacrifice to His Father— the joy of doing that which the Father sent Him to do— “…who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross…” (Hebrews 12:2). “I delight to do Your will, O my God…” (Psalm 40:8). Jesus prayed that our joy might continue fulfilling itself until it becomes the same joy as His. Have I allowed Jesus Christ to introduce His joy to me?
Living a full and overflowing life does not rest in bodily health, in circumstances, nor even in seeing God’s work succeed, but in the perfect understanding of God, and in the same fellowship and oneness with Him that Jesus Himself enjoyed. But the first thing that will hinder this joy is the subtle irritability caused by giving too much thought to our circumstances. Jesus said, “…the cares of this world,…choke the word, and it becomes unfruitful” (Mark 4:19). And before we even realize what has happened, we are caught up in our cares. All that God has done for us is merely the threshold— He wants us to come to the place where we will be His witnesses and proclaim who Jesus is.
Have the right relationship with God, finding your joy there, and out of you “will flow rivers of living water” (John 7:38). Be a fountain through which Jesus can pour His “living water.” Stop being hypocritical and proud, aware only of yourself, and live “your life…hidden with Christ in God” (Colossians 3:3). A person who has the right relationship with God lives a life as natural as breathing wherever he goes. The lives that have been the greatest blessing to you are the lives of those people who themselves were unaware of having been a blessing

Boaz
08-31-2018, 07:00 AM
Living in the Spirit , being part of GOD's work , letting him carry our burden , being in Christ our Lord .

square butte
08-31-2018, 07:02 AM
Amen - and let it be so. Thank you for the morning scripture and word

Pine Baron
08-31-2018, 08:38 AM
"The lives that have been the greatest blessing to you are the lives of those people who themselves were unaware of having been a blessing."
AMEN.

Blackwater
08-31-2018, 03:32 PM
Wow! Great message. Our English language, like all languages, is a pretty primitive means by which we try to communicate with each other. And we so often use (misuse?) words. One word can have a number of meanings, depending on how it's used, but most of us just use it and assume we've transmitted the meaning we intended. But "joy," "happiness" and "satisfaction" are distinct words with finely divided meanings and implications. "Joy" we tend to use when we're elated and thankful. "Happiness" is a state of mind where we're satisfied with what we have and thankful. "Satisfaction" is what we have when we're sated with appreciation for what we have, and for God's love for us, and His Son's sacrifice on our behalf.

Ask people at a lawn or garden party if they're "happy," and they'll say they are. As them if they're satisfied, and you may get a strange look, and a different answer.

But we keep trying to understand one another, and trying to understand the words that Christ left us to think on and debate the meaning of. Mature Christianity doesn't come cheaply, easily nor without cost. We've got to put forth EFFORT to really understand, and fully appreciate, what's been given to us. But if we simply DO that ..... well, the rewards are beyond our understanding right now. And lives DO change when they come to Light and begin their own personal walk toward the Light and understanding. It's far from over at the conversion experience! FAR from over!

Look at a mature Christian some time. They'll be satisfied, really, with everything or with nothing, and that's because their "happiness" is NOT dependent on the things they have, but on the spirit within them. How rich is a person like that? I estimate it's inestimable! True satisfaction seems to have to be EARNED, whereas mere "happiness" seems to come and go according to what we have and how they suit our needs and wants of the moment. We're very wise to seek the longer lasting and more powerful "satisfaction" than mere "happiness" that generally lasts only moments. A lot of the worst sins in our world today are based on making us temporarily "happy," while letting real "satisfaction" slip by the wayside. No wonder there are so many people seeking "happiness!" It never LASTS!

USMC87
08-31-2018, 06:20 PM
Amen and thank you for a great lesson.