PDA

View Full Version : Sarco 80%

joatmon
08-30-2018, 09:49 PM
Anyone ever built on a Sarco stainless80% 1911? I bought one years ago and stuck it back till now. Was thinking of a 10mm since 45 is well covered.
Having never done this was wondering, Is stainless much harder to mill than the others? I also got the 80% slide with it. Any experience out there.

Thanks Aaron

sutherpride59
08-30-2018, 10:21 PM
No experience but I know there are several jigs out that reasonably priced for making it 100% just do a google search or look at brownells.

Mr_Sheesh
08-31-2018, 02:59 AM
I've drilled and tapped Stainless and it is tougher to drill than regular steels; I used a nice Moly DiSulphide tapping fluid to cool & lubricate the drill bits and taps and that helped a lot. I'd suggest something to cool/lube the mill, unsure what is "BEST" but sure someone knows.

roverboy
08-31-2018, 11:48 PM
Stainless can be tough to mill and tap like has already been said. Just to be safe I would probably not tap in the mill. You might start it in the mill and finish with a tap wrench. Use good quality tapping oil too.

bob208
09-01-2018, 11:22 AM
depends on the type of stainless. one will drill like mild steel others will only be worked on with a grinder. most gun stainless will drill ok. just use a lot of pressure don't let the drill bit ride or it work harden the spot. then you will have a rough time getting through it. also use a good cobalt drill bit with a split point not a h-f import. flood coolant works best next a spray mist. I have used 118 deg. point

roverboy
09-03-2018, 07:50 PM
Your right. That's some good advice.