PDA

View Full Version : Is RCBS 11mm 370 grainer GC design?

TCLouis
08-30-2018, 09:19 PM
Is the RCBS 11mm 370 grainer a GC design?

Title says about all there is to say.

Looking at (MSS) catalog pictures it looks like it has a GC heel.

I plan to PP it and use it or the Lyman 340 grainer in a fast twist muzzleoader.

dead dog
08-30-2018, 09:36 PM
No gas check I use one wrap of freezer paper 70 grains fff in my Green Mountain barrel

idahoron
08-30-2018, 11:46 PM
https://i.imgur.com/2UMJRHF.jpg

TCLouis
08-31-2018, 12:55 AM
Thanks for the info dead dog. bad picture in the MSS catalog, shoulda used duckduckgo.com search first.

Guess I will be going to the 340 grain Lyman anyway since the RCBS mold does not appear to be around. Not a bad thing since it saves lead and I am sure 340 grains of lead will carry as far as I need it to and impact with authority.
Guess I will get it ordered tomorrow, cast some when I get back.

Idahoron thanks for the picture, I guess this is with your paper patch as described in your write ups. You do not use a felt wad under that boolit as I remember from reading your different write ups/youtube videos. What does it mic before you run it through the 0.446" die?

As usual I have dilly-dallied until it will be an effort to get lined up for season with this combo.
May have to go back to shooting here at the house so I have no travel time involved in a shooting session.

idahoron
09-03-2018, 07:02 PM
Idahoron thanks for the picture, I guess this is with your paper patch as described in your write ups. You do not use a felt wad under that boolit as I remember from reading your different write ups/youtube videos. What does it mic before you run it through the 0.446" die?

I do use an over powder wad. FOr my .446 I am using a wad I cut my self out of wool felt. The wads I make for this are .500 so they are a pinch too big. I like them over sized, when they go in they pucker just a bit. The paper protects the bullet from the hot gas. The over powder wad makes the load more consistent from shot to shot.
I think they are at .450 or .451 I don't remember. I really didn't care since I wanted them to be sized.

TCLouis
09-03-2018, 09:06 PM
Well th whole project is on hold til the end of Sept so I will see where it goes from there.